Brandenburg Gate setlist predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, it sounded like it was played in a higher key with a rawer Edge guitar than any version since 1987. Anyone care to comment or correct me?

Totally agreed 100%. It sounds brilliant this time around, definitely not the slow-paced, tuned-down performances of the last two tours. All of them are on fire for it right now. :up:

If you take some of the lyrics of One and then take the spirit of the city into account it fits perfectly, either. If not more. Would have to take a closer look at the Stay lyrics for that.

It was a very cool gig. Sound wasn't the best. Sounded cheap and strained with the guitar. They should've brought their own equipment. ;)

U2 fans are great, but when it comes to "meeting" the guys they are just the same assholes as anyone else. Totally egoistic, pushing you away etc. Wow, that is so much no fun! :(
The rest was very cool! :D

Stay is just a song for me that is very closely connected to the city of Berlin, also because of the video :) I really expected them to play it, especially after reharsing it. And Berlin gets a mention in it. The audience at the concert in July loved it. But ONE was the logical song to play and it was just beautiful :heart:

The set was amazing. I watched all of it on You Tube and have to say: Bono sounded really great. I didn't make out much of the "bad sound" that people were talking about, but I guess cold and wet wheather didn't help much. The light show looked amazing.

Were you happy with the gig, Leif? Where were you standing?

And don't tell me about the brutal and egoistical "fans", I know that too well :sigh:

those visual effects they put up on the gate are pretty amazing.

Maybe I'm just drunk, but did they put up screens over the gate? Or does the stone work there just provide a naturally good screen?

No screens, it was projected directly at the gate. The stone works pretty well as projecting screen. In Berlin we also have the festival of lights where they do such stuff all over the city.

More to follow later. :)

What else did you expect? Given the event we all knew BD and One, and I thought the fact that they did Mag and MOS were awesome, especially MOS...

You just like to bitch don't you?

Did you guys not see the youtube videos posted on the previous page?
Maybe full 5 songs instead of 4 songs and half of other two...

^ Time restrictions from MTV. U2 gave the audience more songs than expected.

The show included some of the most powerful performances I've seen in a long time from U2. One and MOS sound beautiful.

Stay is just a song for me that is very closely connected to the city of Berlin, also because of the video :) I really expected them to play it, especially after reharsing it. And Berlin gets a mention in it. The audience at the concert in July loved it. But ONE was the logical song to play and it was just beautiful :heart:

The set was amazing. I watched all of it on You Tube and have to say: Bono sounded really great. I didn't make out much of the "bad sound" that people were talking about, but I guess cold and wet wheather didn't help much. The light show looked amazing.

Were you happy with the gig, Leif? Where were you standing?

And don't tell me about the brutal and egoistical "fans", I know that too well :sigh:

Yes, Stay made sense in many ways. Zoo Station would have been a nice treat, either. ;) The papers with the setlist were taped onto the stage pretty late, around 6.50. I don't know if they waited so long because it might have rained any minute, or if it just took so long to decide on a final setlist. Dallas apparently was tuning the accoustic guitar around 5pm. And they started the show a half hour late.
Nevertheless, I quite liked what they played. It was a nice mix, and it should be well considered to what kind of crowd they played. First, it was some MTV event, and second, though there was quite a great number of U2 fans (people travelled from as far as Turkey to see it and I got the impression half the audience weren't Germans, but U2 fans from all over Europe on a pilgrimage), there was also quite a number of not so huge U2 fans. So it's no real surprise they are playing rather the known, energetic hits. When U2 played stay back in July, crowd response was impressive. But that was at a concert, not a short performance.

The light show was very well done and nice to watch. Even though after a while I lost focus of it as usual. But that's me.

Anna and I tried to find pictures which would have given an impression of how many people came in total, ie. A, B and around the venue. But couldn't find anything.

Bono did sound very well. The sound wasn't bad, but when the guitar was in full force and reached the peaks you could hear that the speakers apparently were not really made for that. They sounded a little scratchy, like when you overtune your hifi set at home. But that was okay, I mean it didn't hurt in your ears.

I was very happy with the gig. Sure, I had about a dozen songs in mind I would just have loved to hear. I also would have loved to hear uncut versions of the songs. And mostly I would have loved for anyone but a rapper to be the special guest. I hope this guy will never play with them again. But that's me. I totally dislike rap and hiphop, so I couldn't be impressed with that. Else, it was very nice and SBS was, apart from the rapping, very good. I loved that they played 30 minutes instead of 20. They could have gone on for quite a bit. The crowd was in for it, and they apparently either. Adam was very outgoing.

We were all standing at the rail of the B section to the far left of the stage. It was very full and you felt people pressing into you all the time. If you stood, you stood. No space to move much. The A area didn't fill at all, so shortly before the start they started to fill it with people from the back of the B area. Would love to know why so many A ticketholder didn't show up.

Many Polish people were around us. But no New Year's Day. Still, they did a great job.

^ Thank you :)

Maybe they gave away more B tickets than A tickets? Were you able to go into A section after they opened the barriers?

I don't like rap either and I was shocked to hear Jay-Z came on stage for SBS, but he's friends with Bono and after watching it I must say it was decent, it was ok, I liked the Marley snippet they did together. Still, personally, I cannot stand that guy, that's just not my personal musical taste, but I appreciate U2 opening up to other genres.

Yes, I'm sure they could have played longer. I think it's great they played more than 4 songs. And good to hear so many people travelled to see the band. Did the band stay in the city?

Maybe full 5 songs instead of 4 songs and half of other two...
I guess you've never heard of time restrictions? I guess you weren't aware that other artists do this as well, maybe you've been living in a vacuum? Who cares if you get abbreviated songs vs a full song? It's free and for TV, this wasn't an actual concert.

If I were you I would avoid Prince concerts he makes you pay for medleys :ohmy:

It was a microcosm of this year's tour- strong performances but an all too obvious setlist.

When has U2 or any other artist for that matter not done "obvious setlists" for these types of gigs?

When will some of you start living in reality?

i'm really disappointed in U2's performance. why don't they play more songs from "Pop" and "Zooropa"? maybe "HMTMKMKM" would have worked?

Whoa. If Jay-Z is what it takes for *that kind of SBS, make him regular tour personell.

When has U2 or any other artist for that matter not done "obvious setlists" for these types of gigs?

When will some of you start living in reality?

It is not unrealistic to hope for songs which either namecheck Berlin (Stay) or one of its landmarks (Zoo Station).

It is not unrealistic to hope for songs which either namecheck Berlin (Stay) or one of its landmarks (Zoo Station).

But 'Stay' wouldn't have been "obvious"? Once again your tastes are causing some meltdown of contradictions, :lol:

Sure these songs could have been fun, but as far as older songs go, neither really have the message of the day, they may namecheck Berlin, but they lack the message they were going for...

:yippie::yippie::yippie:

Three cheers for yet another round of U2's best song of all time, Vertigo!

:up: :up: For SBS however, nice!

Anyone translate the rap? I can't really tell what's being said on those fan shot videos..

^ Thank you :)

Maybe they gave away more B tickets than A tickets? Were you able to go into A section after they opened the barriers?

I don't like rap either and I was shocked to hear Jay-Z came on stage for SBS, but he's friends with Bono and after watching it I must say it was decent, it was ok, I liked the Marley snippet they did together. Still, personally, I cannot stand that guy, that's just not my personal musical taste, but I appreciate U2 opening up to other genres.

Yes, I'm sure they could have played longer. I think it's great they played more than 4 songs. And good to hear so many people travelled to see the band. Did the band stay in the city?

There were definitely more B tickets than A tickets. Many A tickets went into the several lotteries from U2.com, Bild.de and radio stations. But as the guard said, there should have been enough A ticket holder to fill up the A area. They just didn't show up.
They sent some B ticket holders from behind into the A area. As we were standing right at the front of the B ticket area of course we couldn't go in. Suggested we would just climb the fence (even though there was no barbed wire and strip of death :wink: ) but he didn't let us. Said he would get in trouble, especially if someone fell. Well, realistically, I think it really wouldn't have been safe. Just imagine the first one starts to climb over. The push from behind, as everyone else would want to get in position to climb the fence, would have been dangerous. I think something similar happened with Pearl Jam in Roskilde, where one fan got killed when she got crushed.

I survived Jay-Z, but well. I could really do without. Could've been worse, though. Just imagine he pulled up David Hasselhoff, who was also present (totally drunk as I got told). :yikes:

I have no clue what the band did, honestly. I never know. But I never care either. Anna went past the Adlon today, but no one was standing there.

It was a microcosm of this year's tour- strong performances but an all too obvious setlist.

Maybe it was. But who cares. The people there had fun and enjoyed the free 30 minutes. They didn't break their heads over what unexpected song would have been so great to be played.
Certainly not everything was obvious. The two extra songs for example, as it was stated before the concert would be four songs and 20 minutes. We got two songs and ten minutes extra.
I think there is also some cultural differences. I know that Americans especially, in general, put way more importance on symbolic gesture and all and really are looking out for that. Germans do that to a much lesser extent. And only because there is Berlin mentioned once in Stay isn't reason we are crying over that song missing. Sure, would have been nice. As any other song would have been nice. I would have gone crazy had they played New Year's Day and/or Zoo Station. But in the end it was a 30 minute free concert. Isn't that an awesome feat?

I can't understand people having tickets and not going. :| Especially considering how many fans wanted tickets and weren't able to get them. But I guess when something is free, many consider it not to be worth anything. Sad to hear that.

And David Hasselhoff was horrible, but so was the whole EMA show. :crazy:

:up: :up: For SBS however, nice!

Anyone translate the rap? I can't really tell what's being said on those fan shot videos..
From Sunday Bloody Sunday you mean?
Here's my take on Jay-Z's bit after Edges solo:

Yeah!
Straight outta the project
Suppression, arms breaking through the peaceful protest
We can’t be opressed
Turn on your radio
Out in Berlin, walls are fallin’, revolution is callin’
Out in Iran, elections are fixed
Out in Rwanda, the children all are sick
Turn on your radio
Let’s all harmonize to the people in power
Hear the only cries
Bop-bop-bop, be the sound of a tune
Don’t make me act you motherf***er, build some schools
Teach with you, for what lies ahead
Teach the truth, c’mon!

Then, according to U2.com this is what Bono ad-libbed at the end:

And all the lovers and hate
That pass these keepers of the gate
And it’s a heavy weight this history
But it’s not too late
Won’t stop this Congregation
Can’t stop this Radiation
Can’t stop this Meditation
And I have no Hesitation
In this ancient brand new nation
I sing but it’s a shout

u2 made the front page of the guardian today for being assholes, well done lads.
A link maybe for the non english people here? Or what it says in the article.

But im 99,9% sure it's about something which really doesnt matter.

edit: Is it about 'the wall" that was built? I pretty sure U2 didn't request such a thing.

edit: Is it about 'the wall" that was built? I pretty sure U2 didn't request such a thing.

Yes that is what the article is about:
New Berlin wall built for U2 gig to mark fall of old one | World news | The Guardian

In fact both this article and one published in The Irish Times (MTV's 'Berlin wall' means no view on the horizon for U2 fans - The Irish Times - Thu, Nov 05, 2009) prior to the event yesterday clearly states that the wall idea was brought forward by the organizers of the event, MTV and not U2 or even Bono. I don't know why people simply choose to ignorantly blame U2 and Bono for it. We have enough U2 hate as there is as a result of the things they/Bono are actually involved in out there.:angry:
I wish people would get their facts straight before acting embarrassingly stupid like this.

Yes that is what the article is about:
New Berlin wall built for U2 gig to mark fall of old one | World news | The Guardian

In fact both this article and one published in The Irish Times (MTV's 'Berlin wall' means no view on the horizon for U2 fans - The Irish Times - Thu, Nov 05, 2009) prior to the event yesterday clearly states that the wall idea was brought forward by the organizers of the event, MTV and not U2 or even Bono. I don't know why people simply choose to ignorantly blame U2 and Bono for it. We have enough U2 hate as there is as a result of the things they/Bono are actually involved in out there.:angry:
I wish people would get their facts straight before acting embarrassingly stupid like this.

Because in their minds it's ironic.

Back
Top Bottom