Another album soon?? Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 things

a) im not talking in absolutes. I have stated a number of times that noone knows, all we can do is look at the facts we know and derive what knowledge we can.

b) doesn't the fact that its to Tripoli via Cadiz make it more likely that Tripoli will be on album 2 which is a sister album to NLOTH about pilgrimage? In Being Born, he obviously only goes to Cadiz. Maybe Tripoli is the next song, the progression of the journey. He moves on from Cadiz, a stopover on is journey, and off to his final destiation, Tripoli. The fact we have another album about pilgrimage suggests to me that some of the themes would be recurring

nice observation again dan

b) doesn't the fact that its to Tripoli via Cadiz make it more likely that Tripoli will be on album 2 which is a sister album to NLOTH about pilgrimage? In Being Born, he obviously only goes to Cadiz. Maybe Tripoli is the next song, the progression of the journey. He moves on from Cadiz, a stopover on is journey, and off to his final destiation, Tripoli. The fact we have another album about pilgrimage suggests to me that some of the themes would be recurring

Well, yeah. That would seem obvious, no?

Apparently some people still have a hard time getting their heads around the concept of recurring characters, and that there may be more than one song about a particular journey.

Well, yeah. That would seem obvious, no?

Apparently some people still have a hard time getting their heads around the concept of recurring characters, and that there may be more than one song about a particular journey.

That appears to be the biggest issue. The doubters also appear able to casually ignore points that destroy their arguments

And then there are people in the middle who don't care much either way....they just want another album, regardless of the songs on it...or not! :wave: :D

Maybe Fez-BB, Chromium Chords, and Tripoli are 3 songs. Maybe they're 2, maybe they're 1. I don't know. U2 has a strange creative process where 1 song can become 5 or 5 can become 1.

But you guys have gotten too hot under the collar about a question we really don't know the answer to...

Im hoping that Tripoli is a different song and comes out on Songs of Ascent but who knows besides the band and thier associates at this time.Just like Revenge of the Apple Mac from the POP sessions.I dont know if that was a different song or it was retitled and released?

That appears to be the biggest issue. The doubters also appear able to casually ignore points that destroy their arguments

You have been ignoring direct quotes from the bands and article previews that actually heard the album in it's early state and instead been focusing on your own made up theories about what may have happened to the title Tripoli because of pictures or lyrics that could mean anything or nothing out of context. For all the whining you have been doing in this topic about how much people are calling you dumb or stupid or whatever other victim card you play, you've been acting superior to everyone that doesn't agree with you just as much as anyone who has posted. Get off your high horse.

As for your arguments that are "destroying" everyone elses. You claim that Tripoli could be another song on SOA with absolutely no proof but your own fantasy ideas because the word is never mentioned in the album and you believe the cop stopped in Cadiz and now his journey could continue elsewhere.

1- The cop doesn't stop and end in Cadiz, he clearly moves on across to Africa, which is shown in the lyric "African sun at last" his journey continues onto the 2nd verse. Unless you think both the cop and Bono are idiots and think Spain qualifies as Africa or he is saying that Cadiz is so close it might as well be under the African sun, which makes no sense other than to be some zen metaphorical bullshit. He makes it to Africa at the very least in the first verse of the song.

2- Bono's quote about the story was talking about this album, NLOTH, with Sean while they were in Hanover. Going by just what we can factually conclude through interviews it clearly says that one of this album's stories is of a "fractured" journey, physical and emotional. He doesn't say that the exact route of the trip is layed out in the course of the album lyrics. It's just his concept for the songs that deal with the AWOL cop. The story he keeps telling in all the interviews/previews about NLOTH are the same when talking about Tripoli/FBB. French motorbike cop takes a trip across Europe and Africa. There's very little distinction between the two. He says that it is fractured and not a complete story, meaning they may have left out details, such as the man arriving in Tripoli. (which makes sense for them scrapping the title Tripoli all together) Later this is supported in the article under the Dec2008 section when he says that the songs and characters are still intact, but that the narrative was scrapped, also giving clues as to why the song FBB may have no mention of Paris or Tripoli, or another song may be missing a part of an originally planned story and instead is more of a vague picture into each character's situation (the junkie, reporter, etc). There could be lyrics containing "Tripoli" that were never used, there's no way to tell.

3- It also mentions the songs Winter and Every Breaking Wave being left off, no mention of Tripoli, which seems fishy if a song with that title still existed that was going to be part of NLOTH. Especially for someone who was profiling them for 18 months during the recording process. This points more towards Tripoli just being a working title for a song that might have ended up on the album as FBB or maybe even something else. OR that if Tripoli wasn't just a working title for either FEZ or Being Born (along with Chromium Chords as a working title for one or the other) then it was a really rough cut of a song that was just thrown away and has no plan to be released on anything.(perhaps the "improv" the Edge mentioned, that could very well be Bono's acoustic "innn ollld tripoliii!" jam in the video clip that never panned out, who knows) otherwise it would be mentioned in articles alongside other songs left off the current album like Winter/EBW. But it never is. If Tripoli was being mentioned so much in early previews like Winter and EBW were as possibilities for the album, but later was dropped off the album like those songs, then why do both of the other songs get mentioned when bringing up the discarded material now that could be on another release, but never Tripoli? Don't you think all the early previewers would notice something like that, if they are noticing Winter/EBW being dropped? Wouldn't they give a mention of a song that was just as close to being on NLOTH as Winter/EBW being dropped, if it was a totally new song that didn't make the cut?

So what happened? Well to me, like the band keeps saying, Tripoli is not a title of anything anymore, it turned into something else. I don't know if that something is F-BB, but It's very likely the case that Tripoli does not exist anymore as it did back then, and there will be NO song titled as such on the new album. It's too coincidental that songs like Winter and EBW are always talked about as discarded songs but something that was titled Tripoli, that people kept bringing up as a song somewhere in NLOTH's baby months, is never talked about anymore, even by the band themselves.

:ohmy:
I just realized that we are at each other's throats because we have differing opinions about whether an Irish rock band has written one song or two about a fictional traffic cop.

:wink:

You have been ignoring direct quotes from the bands and article previews that actually heard the album in it's early state and instead been focusing on your own made up theories about what may have happened to the title Tripoli because of pictures or lyrics that could mean anything or nothing out of context. For all the whining you have been doing in this topic about how much people are calling you dumb or stupid or whatever other victim card you play, you've been acting superior to everyone that doesn't agree with you just as much as anyone who has posted. Get off your high horse.

My high-horse? hmmm, can anyone spell hypocrite?

If you actually bother to read my posts, you will find that I have been saying that it could be either way, but I outline the reasons why I think a certain way. Everyone on the negative team seems to be saying to me "no, you're wrong". How does that make me superior? I can accept that there may be vailidity to your views, yet you just lambast me for having an opinion.

As for the victim card, I must admit to being a bit facecious. I am fully aware of my own intellectual capabilities, and am merely using my own references to the comment to show how rediculous this poster is being in forcing his opinions on to people.

As for your arguments that are "destroying" everyone elses. You claim that Tripoli could be another song on SOA with absolutely no proof but your own fantasy ideas because the word is never mentioned in the album and you believe the cop stopped in Cadiz and now his journey could continue elsewhere.

I have more proof than those that say otherwise. You can;t call it a fantasy with no proof when I have spent 2 days outlining said proof. I am not going to go through and say it all AGAIN, but you should actually read my points before dismissing them because they don't fit into your own view of how the world works.

The idea that the journey continues is based on a quote from Bono. I didn't make it up.

1- The cop doesn't stop and end in Cadiz, he clearly moves on across to Africa, which is shown in the lyric "African sun at last" his journey continues onto the 2nd verse. Unless you think both the cop and Bono are idiots and think Spain qualifies as Africa or he is saying that Cadiz is so close it might as well be under the African sun, which makes no sense other than to be some zen metaphorical bullshit. He makes it to Africa at the very least in the first verse of the song.

Good point. Especially because this counters the actual storyline that we know of Tripoli.

2- Bono's quote about the story was talking about this album, NLOTH, with Sean while they were in Hanover. Going by just what we can factually conclude through interviews it clearly says that one of this album's stories is of a "fractured" journey, physical and emotional. He doesn't say that the exact route of the trip is layed out in the course of the album lyrics. It's just his concept for the songs that deal with the AWOL cop. The story he keeps telling in all the interviews/previews about NLOTH are the same when talking about Tripoli/FBB. French motorbike cop takes a trip across Europe and Africa. There's very little distinction between the two. He says that it is fractured and not a complete story, meaning they may have left out details, such as the man arriving in Tripoli. (which makes sense for them scrapping the title Tripoli all together) Later this is supported in the article under the Dec2008 section when he says that the songs and characters are still intact, but that the narrative was scrapped, also giving clues as to why the song FBB may have no mention of Paris or Tripoli, or another song may be missing a part of an originally planned story and instead is more of a vague picture into each character's situation (the junkie, reporter, etc). There could be lyrics containing "Tripoli" that were never used, there's no way to tell.

Bono's quote was never specifically about this album. It was about the story that this album deals with. And we know that SOA is it's companion album, dealing with similar issues with songs from the same sessions.

That December 2008 quote was at a time that the song Tripoli still existed. It was mentioned in the Rolling Stone article, and Q around December 08. So if they scrapped all reference to Tripoli in the song, why didn't they change the title until what would appear to be the LAST FEW DAYS of recording.

3- It also mentions the songs Winter and Every Breaking Wave being left off, no mention of Tripoli, which seems fishy if a song with that title still existed that was going to be part of NLOTH. Especially for someone who was profiling them for 18 months during the recording process. This points more towards Tripoli just being a working title for a song that might have ended up on the album as FBB or maybe even something else. OR that if Tripoli wasn't just a working title for either FEZ or Being Born (along with Chromium Chords as a working title for one or the other) then it was a really rough cut of a song that was just thrown away and has no plan to be released on anything.(perhaps the "improv" the Edge mentioned, that could very well be Bono's acoustic "innn ollld tripoliii!" jam in the video clip that never panned out, who knows) otherwise it would be mentioned in articles alongside other songs left off the current album like Winter/EBW. But it never is. If Tripoli was being mentioned so much in early previews like Winter and EBW were as possibilities for the album, but later was dropped off the album like those songs, then why do both of the other songs get mentioned when bringing up the discarded material now that could be on another release, but never Tripoli? Don't you think all the early previewers would notice something like that, if they are noticing Winter/EBW being dropped? Wouldn't they give a mention of a song that was just as close to being on NLOTH as Winter/EBW being dropped, if it was a totally new song that didn't make the cut?

Because, as noted in both Q and Rolling Stone, Tripoli was NEVER a certain starter for the album. NEVER. It was mentioned as an extra song being thrown around in Q, and RS said it could be the opener, but it was NEVER confirmed as being on the album. EBW and Winter were all but confirmed by Q, and RS confirmed EBW. Those two were far more certain than Tripoli ever was re being on the album.

So what happened? Well to me, like the band keeps saying, Tripoli is not a title of anything anymore, it turned into something else. I don't know if that something is F-BB, but It's very likely the case that Tripoli does not exist anymore as it did back then, and there will be NO song titled as such on the new album. It's too coincidental that songs like Winter and EBW are always talked about as discarded songs but something that was titled Tripoli, that people kept bringing up as a song somewhere in NLOTH's baby months, is never talked about anymore, even by the band themselves.

Again, I have admitted that this scenario is a possible one. I am not saying I am 100% right (I think there's an echo around here???). I am saying I believe a certain thing because of evidence I, and many other's have seen and believed.

YOU need to get off YOUR high-horse and allow me my opinions. I counter others arguements when they are offered as gospel in the form of a discussion with regards to facts. I don't lambast other members for having an opinion.

And then there are people in the middle who don't care much either way....they just want another album, regardless of the songs on it...or not! :wave: :D

Yup, although I would like a song called "Tripoli" because it would be cool to have more Muslim/Arab references and piss off the redneck U2 fans who might have voted for Sarah Palin; then again, they would have dismissed U2's criticism of the first Gulf War and its appreciation of the Arab world featured in Achtung Baby's liner notes.

Surely there's too much fun to be had in Las Vegas, to be over-analysing a song/non-song to this extent!?! An entertaining argument over essentially nothing though!

Surely there's too much fun to be had in Las Vegas, to be over-analysing a song/non-song to this extent!?! An entertaining argument over essentially nothing though!

It was only about 4:00 in the afternoon when I made that post. Maybe in Scotland they start boozing it up by then, but I usually wait until it's actually dark to enjoy the city's vices. :shrug:

Oh, I thought you meant a different article you might have read where Bono says something about SOA being the continuation of NLOTH's stories or something. Later they talk about songs being "jettisoned" but only mention Winter and EBW, no Tripoli. We don't know any lyrics for EBW to know if it's about a character other than "sea/enemy", and Winter is on Linear and hasn't been said to be part of SOA except for assuming fans, so where is the idea coming from that SOA is going to continue stories and Tripoli has a chance to be on it, if it still exists or ever existed as a different song?

All we have heard about it is that it's a meditative album about pilgrimage. Nothing about a character theme. At least as far as I know.

Oh, I thought you meant a different article you might have read where Bono says something about SOA being the continuation of NLOTH's stories or something. Later they talk about songs being "jettisoned" but only mention Winter and EBW, no Tripoli. We don't know any lyrics for EBW to know if it's about a character other than "sea/enemy", and Winter is on Linear and hasn't been said to be part of SOA except for assuming fans, so where is the idea coming from that SOA is going to continue stories and Tripoli has a chance to be on it, if it still exists or ever existed as a different song?

All we have heard about it is that it's a meditative album about pilgrimage. Nothing about a character theme. At least as far as I know.

No, but it is a fair assumption given that it is entirely of songs from these sessions, and we are told that they are companion albums (which indicates a much bigger link than the fact they are released close together).

The only info I have read about why winter/EBW were left off relates to their state of completion, or style, not content.

It isn't set in stone, but it is possible that the themes are a continuation.

Again though, this is what I mean throughout all my posts. I am not saying this is how the world is, I am saying it is a possibility.

goddamnit... after this many pages I was expecting some serious news (post-RollingStone article). You guys need to keep these arguments awaaaaaaaay from this thread.

:rant:

Well, Bono made mention of the next album during the "Three Nights with U2" interview. For those who didn't hear it, he basically said that next year we'd hear something from them that's not very rock and roll....

Well, Bono made mention of the next album during the "Three Nights with U2" interview. For those who didn't hear it, he basically said that next year we'd hear something from them that's not very rock and roll....

Cheers.

Sounds like that could mean a slew of things, gentler music, more atmospheric pieces, or more challenging and experiemental pieces...

:drool::drool:

I hope so, I really dig Eno's work at creating atmosphere in songs. I think a slower U2 album would definitely be a good choice. We've had quite a few rock anthem type albums as of late, really good stuff to rock out stadiums on their tour. However, I think U2 always does well at setting scenes and atmosphere for slow songs(Exit, Heartland, WOWY, etc), and I am excited about what they will do next.

:up:
I hope so, I really dig Eno's work at creating atmosphere in songs. I think a slower U2 album would definitely be a good choice. We've had quite a few rock anthem type albums as of late, really good stuff to rock out stadiums on their tour. However, I think U2 always does well at setting scenes and atmosphere for slow songs(Exit, Heartland, WOWY, etc), and I am excited about what they will do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom