Another album soon?? Songs of Ascent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hate to say it, but i really don't think we're getting a follow up this year or next year. it really seems like the band is starting retract from their earlier statements.

Let's not be pessimistic...

According to what Bono said last night, an album is due next year. According to another account, Larry said that album would have "Mercy" on it.

When will it come out? It will probably come out just before their return to the US in the Spring.

After the dates listed, Larry's mentioned that they'd be back in the US in 2010, followed by European dates (presumeably, Summer 2010)

Guys it's time to face the facts. Bono, Larry, and Edge say this stuff after every album. You guys were all expecting another album in 2006 and look how much longer it took to drop. These guys have lives, families, other responsibilities. Not gonna happen. I'm thinking more like 2015.

Let's not be pessimistic...

According to what Bono said last night, an album is due next year. According to another account, Larry said that album would have "Mercy" on it.

When will it come out? It will probably come out just before their return to the US in the Spring.

After the dates listed, Larry's mentioned that they'd be back in the US in 2010, followed by European dates (presumeably, Summer 2010)

i'm being realistic, if anything. about 3 weeks ago, the band said that a new album is coming out late this year/early next year. now they're already starting to retract on those statements by using phrases like "no timetable" and "next year or the year after".

Guys it's time to face the facts. Bono, Larry, and Edge say this stuff after every album. You guys were all expecting another album in 2006 and look how much longer it took to drop. These guys have lives, families, other responsibilities. Not gonna happen. I'm thinking more like 2015.

Im pretty sure it will come out before 2015.

And ? I'm sure they don't have a timetable for SOA just yet; NLOTH barely came out. And at this rate 2010 is fine by me.

They'll record slowly during the tour and on that second US leg - second Europe leg break. We'll know more by the end of this year.
which is basically what I've heard anyone in the band saying so far

:up:

i'm being realistic, if anything. about 3 weeks ago, the band said that a new album is coming out late this year/early next year. now they're already starting to retract on those statements by using phrases like "no timetable" and "next year or the year after".

Well given the bands track record on releasing new albums according to their timetables what your saying is very legitimate.I can see why we all have doubts about how soon Songs of Ascent or whatever it will be called will be released.Im going to go out on a limb here though.I'll say it will be out no later than Fall 2010 right after the tour and before Xmas.I could be wrong but I hope I'm right just for the sake of a getting another U2 record sooner than later.

There's definitely going to be an album. Bono said on Monday night, "our manager has said not to talk about this, but... " etc. They just don't want anything to interfere with promoting NLOTH right now (duh) so Universal / Principle have told the band to clam up, and thus Edge's statement ("no timeline")

There's definitely going to be an album. Bono said on Monday night, "our manager has said not to talk about this, but... " etc. They just don't want anything to interfere with promoting NLOTH right now (duh) so Universal / Principle have told the band to clam up, and thus Edge's statement ("no timeline")

hmm...i didn't hear that line, but then again, i haven't had an opportunity to listen to the live appearances the last two nights. i guess if he said that, that makes me a little more optimistic, though i still do fear that they'll get lost in the music again, thus delaying this a couple years.

they are trying to find a place for mercy as told to a fan last night

U2 stuck around after the event to sign autographs for about ten minutes. After making our way to the stage, my friend Kevin and I asked The Edge, "Are we ever going to hear 'Mercy'?" Edge said, "We really want to play it live, we're just trying to find a place for it." He commented very briefly about how the entire band enjoys that song. When I told him I thought it was the greatest song ever written, he looked me in the eye and said, "Really? Thank you" while giving me a fist bump. Nice.

there is still a chance :up:

At this point... Eno and Lanois are essentially parts of the band, and they produce their own albums based on where they want to go.

Where's Mr I Work For The Government? Readjusting his tinfoil hat I suppose.

It seems he's -gasp- wrong

AS

To Brian Hiatt

In your review of some of the songs for U2's No Line on the Horizon you wrote of a song called Tripoli. Did this song make the album as Fez-Being Born or was it not included?

Tripoli is the same song as Fez-Being Born; it was retitled sometime in December
therefore

Tripoli =
Being Born

Unless of course U2.com AND the reviewer AND the other previews of the song are all wrong.
Hell, even the Earth could be flat.

I still feel that this time things are different than the past «we want a new album soon».

First, remember all that, besides the band has lots of material scrapped (50-60 songs from the 2007/8 sessions, plus the 2006 Rubin sessions). Don't forget too that a double album or a double EP release was rumored several times during late 2007 and 2008.

This time the guys have been talking a lot of this supposed next (and near) album, even giving much more information that in the past occasions.

It wouldn't be hard to release the next album in May 2010, for instance, just in time right before starting the "part deux/2010" of 360º Tour.

If the band is not gonna tour after the US/NA leg (late summer/early autumn 2009) [South America/Australasia, for instance, still they use to tour there in December/January], and if the scrapped songs are developped enough (or even with the early recording process done), it won't be hard to rework and re-record those songs between February and April (since I guess that the guys must take some weeks off after the first legs, as usual) and release it just before the tour restarts.

Yup. It's too tame.

4 Minute Warning would have been a better ending.

you guys are crraaaazzzzyyyyyyyyyy

You can say, It's not bombastic enough. I'd agree that it's not bombastic at all, but it doesn't have to be.

But too tame? That song is f***ed up beautiful. And the drum pattern? Mimetic of a film reel flapping? tame is not the word. Incredible, that's the word.

Maybe U2 should get with Nigel. He might beat in their heads enough to have them stop putting out things like SUC and Crazy

Where's Mr I Work For The Government? Readjusting his tinfoil hat I suppose.

It seems he's -gasp- wrong

AS

therefore

Tripoli =
Being Born

Unless of course U2.com AND the reviewer AND the other previews of the song are all wrong.
Hell, even the Earth could be flat.

You are the most uncouth and rude person I've ever spoken to.

I will once again reiterate that in EVERY one of my posts I acknowledged the possibility that they were the same, but that I believed otherwise based on certain evidence. Other's agreed. The personal tyraid you are on is exposed as being totally pathetic by gesticulating your 'victory'.

I'd much rather be me right now.

I feel very very sorry for you that you have to live with yourself.

I feel very very sorry for you that you have to live with yourself.

You have no idea... :|

You are the most uncouth and rude person I've ever spoken to.

I get that a lot too

Anyway, if you agree that Being Born has now been confirmed as Tripoli.

Then I have no further issue and will curb my 'personal tyraid' and stop the 'gesticulating' (since i'm not Italian).

you guys are crraaaazzzzyyyyyyyyyy

You can say, It's not bombastic enough. I'd agree that it's not bombastic at all, but it doesn't have to be.

But too tame? That song is f***ed up beautiful. And the drum pattern? Mimetic of a film reel flapping? tame is not the word. Incredible, that's the word.

Maybe U2 should get with Nigel. He might beat in their heads enough to have them stop putting out things like SUC and Crazy
True, true. And Jonny shares the blame. I just wanted the 2006 version of Videotape so badly, like they did with Morning Bell/Amnesiac. Why couldn't the band release an alternate version. Someone even presented our case to Ed. I really miss the bass and organic drumming.

However, since U2 is not in danger of making things too lacking in immediacy, I'd say it might be safer to work with Nigel than not. I was just having fun.

Well, since apparently Tripoli is Fez-Being Born, I really want to hear the song we thought was Tripoli. :hmm:

True, true. And Jonny shares the blame. I just wanted the 2006 version of Videotape so badly, like they did with Morning Bell/Amnesiac. Why couldn't the band release an alternate version. Someone even presented our case to Ed. I really miss the bass and organic drumming.

However, since U2 is not in danger of making things too lacking in immediacy, I'd say it might be safer to work with Nigel than not. I was just having fun.

Nigel produced the lackluster single version of Walk On. Keep him away.

This whole "Videotape" debate is the equivalent of the U2 Beach Clips debate.

People heard early live versions of Videotape and they can't wrap their heads/arms around the album cut. I love the album cut of Videotape. It truly fits how it is. Save the bombast for The Tourist. I don't think anybody would be complaining if they hadn't heard the live version in advance.

What I wonder is that if this new album is released, say in early 2010 before U2 start the next part of their tour, and it really does contain these out there mellow, ambient, atmospheric tracks, what will the reaction be here or in the music world?

I've already read too many comments here stating how NLOTH doesn't have that "big single" or song that everyone can love. That NLOTH had no "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo". That NLOTH was already a bit too down. From what we've read, this next album may be very much like "Original Soundtracks 1" - will people even respond to that? :hmm:

I'm thinking that there will be a LOT more complaining. People who want U2 to make an album and not care about what others think will have received that album - and those exact same people won't like it. It'll be a real treat being here in a year. :hyper:

This whole "Videotape" debate is the equivalent of the U2 Beach Clips debate.

People heard early live versions of Videotape and they can't wrap their heads/arms around the album cut. I love the album cut of Videotape. It truly fits how it is. Save the bombast for The Tourist. I don't think anybody would be complaining if they hadn't heard the live version in advance.

Word, an incredible song, just incredible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom