All Southern Hemisphere tour information/rumours here please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? PMG said they're planning about 45 shows in 2010. There are 36 scheduled right now, which leaves space for another 9-10 shows. Maybe Mexico City (I and II) and Zurich II, so there are still 6-7 shows. That would be enough for an Australian/NZ Leg.

Also, the thing is a huge profit isn't the important thing, it's reaching out to their fanbase that really matters and playing a tour that has more diversity other than just Europe and America.

That might not be important to the fans but I think Live Nation has another opinion on the matter.

My interpretation of the 2011 talk is that they aren't yet committed to South America, Australia etc... and they want to adopt a 'wait and see' approach. They don't want those dates linked into the already committed 2010 schedule and instead they want them to be optional. I guess the decision comes down to how they are feeling (seems they don't want to work hard on this tour) and money (does it stack up; long way to travel to Australia for just a few shows).

My interpretation of the 2011 talk is that they aren't yet committed to South America, Australia etc... and they want to adopt a 'wait and see' approach. They don't want those dates linked into the already committed 2010 schedule and instead they want them to be optional. I guess the decision comes down to how they are feeling (seems they don't want to work hard on this tour) and money (does it stack up; long way to travel to Australia for just a few shows).

That's similar to what Coldplay (another Live Nation artist) did for the Viva La Vida tour, which is still dragging out. The total tour length will be 22 months, and they are hitting SA at the very end of it (within 2 months).

I don`t believe this interview of the McGuiness… I believe that they come in November pra South America… and, I say more, also they will go for Australia and pro Japan… who organizes the tour of u2 is Live Nation, that it is the producing greater of the world in terms of logistic and etc… the McGuiness is the entrepreneur of the band… but who organizes everything is the Live Nation… and practically all shows of it pass in south america… live nation this way GO TO GIVE A SKILL IN THIS

october/november: latin america
novembr/december: asia/oceania

And the tour won't start in Mexico city at the end of May either.Mcguinne$$ says in the interview that the tour starts in June in California.

I noticed that and am bummed, I was planning a vacation down there around that show(s) (hadn't booked anything yet, of course), I guess I need to decide whether to go with my Plan B - Denver - or not.

the McGuiness is the entrepreneur of the band… but who organizes everything is the Live Nation… and practically all shows of it pass in south america… live nation this way GO TO GIVE A SKILL IN THIS

october/november: latin america
novembr/december: asia/oceania

I'd take McGuiness' word for it. I thought you posted in another thread that the stadium in Rio would be closed for renovations starting in September anyway.

The Olympic stadium seems to have just over half the capacity of Maracana (around 45k seats), and will have to undergo renovations of its own for 2016 (to expand seating).

Even SP's Morumbi stadium is scheduled for a renovation, including adding a partial roof. The area surrounding the stadium will also undergo construction. Work will supposedly start sometime this year for almost every WC stadium. I don't see U2 in SA as likely for this tour.

Even SP's Morumbi stadium is scheduled for a renovation, including adding a partial roof. The area surrounding the stadium will also undergo construction. Work will supposedly start sometime this year for almost every WC stadium. I don't see U2 in SA as likely for this tour.

the engenhao stadium isn't going to be used for the world cup though. so any work for the olympics probably won't started until the maracana is available again. probably.

Interview in chili newspaper.

I saw a translation from 'LikeASong' on the u2start.com forum, see below.

Quite some news facts. For this part of the forum the most important thing is that there will be ~45 shows this year and probably NO South America Tour this year, MAYBE early 2011....

Like just another one visitor in Midem, the worldwide musical industry which is taking place this days in Cannes (France), goes Paul McGuiness, the one and only manager that U2 has had in over 30 years.

It's widely believed that this good-natured Irish is mainly who turned a group of 4 Irish boys into the biggest band of the world. And, always interested by what's going on in the musical bussiness, McGuinness answers a few of our questions. "We, U2, are in the live music business. We started with some shyness, but we've become the biggest live band of the world, maybe even the biggest band in the history of popular music. With this tour, we'll do, at least, 90 concerts; we did 45 last year and we're planning to do another 45 during 2010. In total, we're bound to play to about 6 million people", he says.
According to McGuinness, U2 is thinking / has thought seriously in the idea of releasing their own videogame, Rock Band-style. "We haven't decided what will it be like, but we really wanna do it. And soon. Really soon".

- It was said that U2 would come back to Chile in november of this year.
We're probably not going to South America this year (2010). Maybe we go over there on early 2011, but we have to decide/define it yet. The reason is that this tour has 3 giant stages, that have to travel by ship, in over 200 containers... The cost of each tour day is about 3'000'000 $... But we'll do whateveer we can to go back to South America, of course.

- When you define yourself as a "live band", do you care about the crisis that the world's living right now?
U2 has become, with the years, in a live band; but that doesn't mean that we don't have respect for the proper albums. In fact, we put lots of efforts in our last recording, and we have cared about every detail of its presentation live. Moreover, since the start of the tour we have kept the ticket prices lower than usual.

-The band has made some contracts and agreements with telephon companies and other formats to sell their music.
Yes, the music is evolutioning and focusing in the digital market, the downloads and other kind of electronic stuff... but the digital supply companies don't care about (ED. or "have yet not cared about") of inverting in new platforms that satisfy the musicians, yet. I think that the whole thing is changing, indeed, but it will take some time until it stablishes and normalizes again.

-It is said that U2 is currently working in the NLOTH successor/continuation.
We'll resume the tour in California, next June... and of course the boys have been working composing new songs. We probably will reelease a new album after the tour (ED Note: yes, he said "after" the tour), but I don't know for sure, I'm not certain.

sounds like a lot of indecision at the moment to see if the U2 360 tour will come down to South America and Australia.....

we need some positive news please!! there has been no Australia tour rumors for a while hope some info gets dug out the gutter sooner or later....

the engenhao stadium isn't going to be used for the world cup though. so any work for the olympics probably won't started until the maracana is available again. probably.

The band may feel it's too small at only 45k seats, or there might be technical constraints for the Claw. Smaller touring artists such as Beyonce, Guns N Roses, and Kiss play at the much larger Maracana. I don't think they'd settle for a baseball-size stadium there (even though they are playing that size stadium elsewhere), and be outdone by other artists.

rumours about south america shows, appeared in 28/1/2010

1) Argentine website says that McGuinness confirmed shows in Argentina in October.

No Mas CDs: U2 confirmó que tocará en octubre de 2010 en Buenos Aires, como parte de la gira promocional de su último disco, "No line on the horizon". "360º Tour" en Argentina. - U2 visitará el país con su “360º Tour”

2) Chilean site speaks that producer T4F confirms interest in bringing U2 for South America in 2010.

"La productora multinacional Time For Fun (T4F) confirmó que está interesada en traer a U2 a Sudamérica con el U2360° Tour.

El anuncio lo realizó el gerente general de la compañía, Francisco Goñi, quien además detalló que para que se concrete la visita de U2 es necesario contar con el Estadio Nacional, al igual que para traer a Chile a Pearl Jam y Bon Jovi a finales de año. "

U2Chile.net | El Portal Oficial de U2 en Chile - PRODUCTORA T4F CONFIRMA INTER?S POR TRAER A U2

3) in the Multishow canal, of Globo (main TV of Brazil) a program would have spoken in 3 shows in Brazil in the October month (probably 2 in São Paulo and 1 in Rio de Janeiro)…

sincerely, I only believe u2.com now...all days appear diverse rumors on shows in the South America...already joke… and of taste with the fans of the band became badly

I would like that the band, Paul Mcguinness or Live Nation came the public to clarify this… an official note in the site of the band would be excellent

Unfortunately that quote from Paul McG regarding the visit to SA is from March 2009 (billboard.com) - I posted the snippet in another thread. It mentions "the next two years", so it is old. The more recent quote is from the Chilean newspaper.

Really? Because all the Spanish-speaking people on my Facebook are freaking out today over an article (perhaps this one?) because it implies U2 is doubtful to return to South America this tour. *I* have no idea what it says though, though :shrug:

I'm not on your Facebook but I was one of those who started (and still are) freaking out about them not returning to S. America. :D

Dude, I think I called Mc Guinness every possible name under the sun...

Yeah, the article says there will most likely not be any other legs added to 2010. I hope they play at least the southern hemisphere in 2011. When you have the potential to do so much more why not do it? A lot of fans will be dissappointed. Sure, it may be expensive to transport their stages to South America and Australia, but they will end up with a profit no matter what. Also, the thing is a huge profit isn't the important thing, it's reaching out to their fanbase that really matters and playing a tour that has more diversity other than just Europe and America.

If the 2011 dates are confirmed, I don't know how I will manage to wait till then; I think I'll die of stress. :D

And for all I care, they can store these big stages away and just play on a simple, old fashioned stage. All I want is the boys and their music anyway!

Great!!!! :rant: Things are getting freaking better for me this year... I live in a place where U2 is not quite sure if wanna come!!! :depressed:

What pisses me off is that they only make sure to come to our side of the world when they need to record live shows for a DVD, cus they know the energy and passion Latin American fans show is something else (no offense to other fans from other parts of the world :D ).

I know my shitty pesos are not as good as the dollar, the euro or the pound, but I work hard for it and I'm willing to blow them away on these guys damn it! lol

Mc Guinness si seguis jodiendo te voy a mandar a la barrabrava de Chaca a que se encargue de vos. :D

This can't be good news either:

"Work on the stadium will begin in March and it will be closed altogether in August and is expected to be reopened in December 2012."

Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana stadium to undergo renovation -

Yikes! :huh:

Excuse my ignorance, but are there any other suitable stadiums in Rio that could host the gigs? I know the Maracana is the ideal venue, but maybe they could find some other place and maybe add some extra dates?

Yikes! :huh:

Excuse my ignorance, but are there any other suitable stadiums in Rio that could host the gigs? I know the Maracana is the ideal venue, but maybe they could find some other place and maybe add some extra dates?

The locals could answer that better. I know the Claw has certain technical requirements, such as tunnel size, etc. The venue has to be willing to accept the turf damage, which can take a month to repair. The band is also somewhat particular about which venues they play, and residential neighborhoods/noise are a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom