Album 13: [Insert News Here]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mel Kiper says that Adam brings intangibles.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

...but fwiw, I really don't see anything wrong w/ what Nick wrote :shrug:

Neither, but then I've been saying for years that in terms of musical ability Adam and Larry are both completely expendable and could be easily replaced. It's hardly a new, novel, or outrageous opinion. I suppose you can get away with saying that sort of thing in EYKIW between albums or in the occasional U2 diversions in off-topic forums rather than in the likes of PLEBA. Obviously they add something more to the band than just sheer technical skill, and U2 was never the place for mindblowing technicality, though given some of Larry's baffling decisions and opinions on the band's direction I've had to wonder just how much he's held U2 back from doing really interesting things at times. Outside of hardcore fans like us, it's safe to say that if either did leave the band, most people would barely notice or care.

Really. Huh. I mean I don't look at any of them in terms of good looking/sex appeal whatever...when I say plain vs not plain Id probably first be thinking more style-wise, fashionable (or not)...and to me, he's always had the best style. Edge and Larry pretty much are jeans and tshirt guys and Bono...well he's pretty plain too when you really check it out he pretty much sticks to a certain look. Adam to me has always been more out there, more stylin' - even if it it's more subtle nowadays, it's still better than alot of what the other band members wear.

This is actually pretty interesting to me: I always thought he was seen as the bad boy partier loverboy with a penchant for pretty ladies and models. On lifestyle alone, he's hands down probably way less plain than the rest! Lol

Glad you're interested. :D Yeah, by "plain" I really meant homely, ie less good looking. Which again is totally unfair because he is a very handsome dude, but anyone would suffer standing next to Larry Mullen Jr for thirty years. He does have tons of style, but it hasn't always been the good kind. There have been... errors, let us say. Hello, velvet flowered suits! (But these days he is totally killing it with the style, it's true.)

Of course you don't "see" them as sexually attractive yourself, but you can still make guesses on how they get perceived. And one really interesting thing about Adam is the other band member's perception of him; clearly they have always admired him like hell; his style, his way with the ladies, and maybe his freedom to pursue the ladies as much as he wanted. They all seem to regard him as the cool one, even the sexy one, even though I don't think is the general public perception. I think their internal dynamics, their thoughts about one another, are really interesting.

Aw, Adams a nice guy. I actually really like at the end of the Invisible video how he's kind of smiling and clapping at the audience. A genuine human being and part of the glue that holds this band together. He's fine looking man as well, and looks more like someone you'd see on the street or in the pub than the other four.
I agree, that was a super sweet moment in the video. He does have a really sweet expression in conversation and always has--something you can't see in still shots. And like I said before he is KILLING it in the swag department these days.

Neither, but then I've been saying for years that in terms of musical ability Adam and Larry are both completely expendable and could be easily replaced. It's hardly a new, novel, or outrageous opinion. I suppose you can get away with saying that sort of thing in EYKIW between albums or in the occasional U2 diversions in off-topic forums rather than in the likes of PLEBA. Obviously they add something more to the band than just sheer technical skill, and U2 was never the place for mindblowing technicality, though given some of Larry's baffling decisions and opinions on the band's direction I've had to wonder just how much he's held U2 back from doing really interesting things at times. Outside of hardcore fans like us, it's safe to say that if either did leave the band, most people would barely notice or care.

Kindof a moot speculation though. U2 would not carry on without either of them, so this theory of a few that they are expendable is impossible to prove and will never be put to the test.

Well, it's Larry's band so the other three guys are lucky to even have the job.

62856365_675c00565d_m.jpg

though given some of Larry's baffling decisions and opinions on the band's direction I've had to wonder just how much he's held U2 back from doing really interesting things at times.

That's an interesting wonder, but it also goes the other way because some of the things that Bono alone or he and Edge have done together have been uninspiring or even clearly a mistake, like Spiderman. So maybe he's held them back from interesting things, but maybe he's also somehow made them do their strongest work.

U2 together are the most synergistic band in music history. The sum of the whole is clearly greater than the sum of the parts. None of them would be great on their own or in other bands... but together they are legends.

Very few other bands that can compare in that way

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Growing up in a household of musicians and surrounded by friends in bands I have asked these people of thei thoughts on U2's musicianship individually and if I remember correctly here's some thoughts.

Adam good bass player about average, he has to be good because of the wild stuff Edge is doing. He is not close to Lee or Entwhistle. One thing they all agreed upon is they would kill for his "gig".

Larry, very unique in his approach, alot of times he's playing backwards as in hitting the snare when mist would be hitting cymbals. Most drummers I know including my brother gives him props

Bono good singer would be better if he didn't smoke.

Edge, my favorite band member. Is very controversial. Some just don't "get" why he's so popular. Saying he's all effects where the other guitarists think he's God-like.

Technically proficient players - who notably aren't in the most successful acts in the world - abound. You can catch any one of them down at a local open jam on a Friday night. Great players. Amazing. But they aren't in the most successful acts in the world.

Another thing those guys haven't done...happen to stumble into a band with two artistic wunderkinds when they were 16/17 years old.

Another thing those guys haven't done...happen to stumble into a band with two artistic wunderkinds when they were 16/17 years old.

Lol yeah right...many of them do every day or did but they don't have what it takes to be a successful professional musician in a working band nor do they have the right character to maintain a healthy relationship with their bandmates. Adam and Larry do. :up:

Can we keep the fanfic weirdness out of this thread? It has a PLEBA ghetto for a reason.

That's an interesting wonder, but it also goes the other way because some of the things that Bono alone or he and Edge have done together have been uninspiring or even clearly a mistake, like Spiderman. So maybe he's held them back from interesting things, but maybe he's also somehow made them do their strongest work.

I suppose there's a world of difference between what Bono and Edge were running off to do in the nineties, with Larry then slamming on the brakes after Passengers and Pop, and what they've run off to do recently! And Larry is, after all, the one who cost us Mercy on HTDAAB. I've never been that song's biggest advocate but that decision alone is enough to call Larry's judgement into question.

None of them would be great on their own or in other bands...

In a small way, Edge's Captive soundtrack indicated a potential for individual greatness.

But if we're defining fame or a public profile as part of greatness, then I would tend to agree.

In a small way, Edge's Captive soundtrack indicated a potential for individual greatness.

But if we're defining fame or a public profile as part of greatness, then I would tend to agree.

Did u read the bit about the captive soundtrack in today's Hollywood reporter article?

On composing the score for 1986’s Captive: “I found it less artistically rewarding. I was having to lay aside the fun part of what I do, which is going in a very instinctive way and finding music that’s turning me on for reasons that I couldn’t possibly explain. But what I do love is writing songs for films. Because I love movies.”

I know NLOTH is hated around here
:

I don't know where you get that idea from, but it's simply NOT TRUE.

As for the band: All of them are good looking, each one in their own way. Larry would be prettier if he didn't look as if he had an extra sour lemon stuck up his a**. That's my opinion, I find it troubling to look at his face in the Invisible video.

As for the band: All of them are good looking, each one in their own way. Larry would be prettier if he didn't look as if he had an extra sour lemon stuck up his a**. That's my opinion, I find it troubling to look at his face in the Invisible video.

Yep. He should remember who he is occasionally and cheer the f up !:wink:

Of course, Adam and Larry's contributions to U2 are in the intangibles

intangibles? oh i dunno - the rhythm section pretty much needs to be the backbone of any band...

i've always thought Larry's drumming is incredibly distinctive, gives U2 their trademark sound, and Adam has created some of the strongest and most memorable basslines in music history - i would take that over the dry technical geekery of prog rock any day

My bet is Album 13 release not before Oct/Nov`14. The actuel promo, Hollywood Reporter, Fallon etc.. is for the Oscars. We wouldn't see them without the Oscars course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom