Album 13: [Insert News Here]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly can't remember a single TV show or public appearance that U2 has participated in where the audience has had to be prompted so much to get up. It was stark to me, for some reason.

Or it could be that my memory is shot :lol:

Good point did you guy's see the Sean Penn/Haiti benefit they did, most of the audience wasn't even facing the band it seemed :lol:

I honestly can't remember a single TV show or public appearance that U2 has participated in where the audience has had to be prompted so much to get up. It was stark to me, for some reason.

Or it could be that my memory is shot :lol:

I seem to remember the audience being down even as Bono was stroking the crowd on the outro for some of those Letterman NLOTH performances, but I don't honestly remember which. Or maybe it was Vertigo era? Some late night thing.

Also keep in mind that it was acoustic. It looked to me like they intended to be down themselves and only got up on the spur of the moment when things got hot at the end. But maybe not.

And as for them putting it on the album, I don't feel strongly about that theory. I'm just throwing stuff around. :wink:

I seem to remember the audience being down even as Bono was stroking the crowd on the outro for some of those Letterman NLOTH performances, but I don't honestly remember which. Or maybe it was Vertigo era? Some late night thing.

I dunno...watch this one (mind you, it's Beautiful Day)...the audience is literally squirming and dancing in their chairs, eager to stand up. It's almost as if they were told by the studio people they weren't allowed to, the way some of them are moving in their chairs...and then when Bono gives them even the slightest signal, the place explodes. It's pretty cool actually they were so into it!!

U2 - Beautiful Day Live Letterman 4th Night [HD - High Quality] - YouTube

But I guess there's a huge difference between the two songs lol!!

I think you're talking about the last night on Letterman when they played Beautiful Day, but then the crowd seemed very enthusiastic and Bono 'asked' them to stand up. So I'm not sure....

I'm not sure I get this same vibe. Yes, I liked it, and The Roots joining in was very very cool, but one thing that surprised me most about the performance was that at the end, even when U2, Fallon and Smith had long gotten up to dance, the audience was still sitting down and took some prompting from Bono to get up. That was unusual to me. I think it went down well here, of course, but I'm not so sure there was like this huge public outpouring of admiration for it that we think there might have been.

I've sat in quite a few of those audiences. It's not like being at a show. They really tell you what to do and what not to do. You've often been there for 2-4 hours by that point and you get really worn down. I'm not surprised if they didn't feel comfortable relaxing and getting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom