A Moment of Randooomdadoooooooooom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we just got an email about thanksgiving stating my aunt and uncle, who have had thanksgiving all but about 2 years of my life, have decided not to do it this year and go to one of their daughter's inlaws instead. I knew the day would come, since my mom and aunt (mom's sister) haven't always gotten along, but I wasn't expecting this. To think I've been planning my thanksgiving desserts since this summer. I also bought some turkey candy molds to make everyone a little goodie bag of truffles and a chocolate turkey. Just this morning while at work I thought about emailing my aunt in another few weeks to tell her I was going to do that and ask her if she'd like me to put labels with everyone's name on them and use those as place cards since she always makes different place cards each year. It's pretty awkward and distant when we all get together over the past few years but I'm still really disappointed that my thanksgiving is going to be different this year. I wasn't able to come home last year so I spent thanksgiving night alone in Phoenix with the dog and cat while my sister and her boyfriend came home to be with the family. Just another thing to add to this crappy year.....

we just got an email about thanksgiving stating my aunt and uncle, who have had thanksgiving all but about 2 years of my life, have decided not to do it this year and go to one of their daughter's inlaws instead. I knew the day would come, since my mom and aunt (mom's sister) haven't always gotten along, but I wasn't expecting this. To think I've been planning my thanksgiving desserts since this summer. I also bought some turkey candy molds to make everyone a little goodie bag of truffles and a chocolate turkey. Just this morning while at work I thought about emailing my aunt in another few weeks to tell her I was going to do that and ask her if she'd like me to put labels with everyone's name on them and use those as place cards since she always makes different place cards each year. It's pretty awkward and distant when we all get together over the past few years but I'm still really disappointed that my thanksgiving is going to be different this year. I wasn't able to come home last year so I spent thanksgiving night alone in Phoenix with the dog and cat while my sister and her boyfriend came home to be with the family. Just another thing to add to this crappy year.....
By e-mail? We at least did that by phone. :reject:
Do Thanksgiving up big for your parents, brother, sister and her boyfriend. A little more intimate. A new tradition to make.
Went thru the same thing last year only it was us backing out on cousin and her family. We are not the closest of family's, even more so now after my father's brother passed away. My cousins are just a little bit lost. Things just got to be tooo much. Parents are older, I am not and won't pretend to be a Martha Stewart type, the food got outrageously expensive.
Sorry about your Thanksgiving. :hug:

At least you have Vegas later this week :). That will be a blast and a half!

65 degrees :love:
The only problem with it is that every bee, every wasp, is out in force. They are currently very fond of the side of the house :crack:. Makes it challenging to get in and out :sad:
Plus those awful little orange lady bug like creatures are all over too.............and they bite.

By e-mail? We at least did that by phone. :reject:
Do Thanksgiving up big for your parents, brother, sister and her boyfriend. A little more intimate. A new tradition to make.
Went thru the same thing last year only it was us backing out on cousin and her family. We are not the closest of family's, even more so now after my father's brother passed away. My cousins are just a little bit lost. Things just got to be tooo much. Parents are older, I am not and won't pretend to be a Martha Stewart type, the food got outrageously expensive.
Sorry about your Thanksgiving. :hug:

At least you have Vegas later this week :). That will be a blast and a half!

The email wasn't really even about the holiday to start off with. My mom and aunt have been dealing with tons of BS over my grandpa's health care and how his nursing home bills are going to get paid since they moved him last March. My mom finally received the news they've been waiting for so she emailed my aunt. She responded with an "oh by the way, we've been invited to the A's for turkey so we're going to go there instead of having our traditional turkey day meal....."

My sister is thrilled. She can't stand them over the way they treated all of us during their showers and weddings. Not one single thank you note was written by any of them for any gift plus one cousin has had 2 kids in the past 3 years and never thanked us for those gifts. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just my family but distant cousins, who threw some of the showers, have been whispering for the past 3 years over their lack of gratitude. It's amazing how selfish and inconsiderate those girls turned out to be. My sister had to fly in for all 3 weddings, which wasn't cheap, so a simple "thanks for coming and spending all that money on my special day" would have been nice. The first cousin's shower was fairly elaborate but by the time it got to the 3rd cousin (all in the same year! :up: :happy: ) it was pretty cheap and they all noticed but too bad. I think everyone had a really bad taste in their mouth by the time the 3rd one came around and were not too excited that they all had to plan weddings in the same year and then act like they were entitled to lavish showers and wedding gifts. So due to that and the way my aunt has treated my mom over the years, it's probably for the best. I guess I was just looking forward to making a bunch of desserts and truffles. One of my oldest friends since gradeschool, the one I've talked about watching her son play football, has a birthday that week and I've always made her family a thanksgiving pie for her bday. She asked me to make her a carrot cake instead after I gave her some of the leftovers from the one I made a few weeks ago. So now that I won't be baking for the family I'll be able to make her more than I had planned.

We'll have my great aunt and hopefully we will somehow be able to figure out how to get my grandpa up the 3 front steps so he can come too. I can't imagine him sitting in that cold, sterile nursing home on thanksgiving. I think that's one of the reasons why my aunt found a way out this year because they have a split level and the kitchen is upstairs. But....they can easily roll him in his wheelchair into the bottom level of the house and we could have all stayed down there. Oh well....I hope he'll be able to come here because I don't think he has too many thanksgivings left.

ok since when can you bring a 3 oz bottle on an airplane? I thought it was only 2 oz. :huh: I just ran to Target to get a few things for my trip and was a little confused over the choice of 2 and 3 oz bottles they have. Some of the 3 oz bottles even had a little airplane on it saying it was TSA approved. It's been a while since I've flown with just carryons so I guess I haven't paid much attention to that particular restriction since I just pack all of my bottles. So I looked on TSA's website when I got home and it says 3 oz bottles in a 1 quart bag is acceptable. Good to know. I was going to put all of my 2 oz bottles in little baggies.

Tonight is the OK U2 show. Hope Kelly gets to see the whole thing this time. Should be no weather related health issues

:wave:

It was great :).

Lord help me, but I even enjoyed the Black Eyed Peas (except for "My Humps", I just stood slack jawed at the awfulness for that one).

I had a fun group of people around me, including 4 crazy fans from South or Central America (I didn't get exactly what country they were from) :lol:. My seats were awesome and I got to see Bono kiss Adam :sexywink:

I've slept all day since getting home because I only got 2 hours of sleep last night (yay for 6 a.m. flights :reject: ).

Very glad I went, now back to work tomorrow.

Have fun in Vegas, arw :wave:

^ :up: :up:

I'm still in denial that I'm going to see U2. I think I will continue on that way until they take the stage. Actually, I'm in denial that I'm going to Vegas in 36 hours. I'm almost all packed to go and tomorrow should be a very easy day for me at work since I spent most of last week stocking up for a 4 day break but it still hasn't sunk in that I'm going anywhere. I can't wait to see desert sand and mountains....oh and U2!!!!

my mom is very happy about the thanksgiving snub by my aunt and uncle as is my dad. I already knew my sister was ok with it so I'm sure my brother is too. I think I was just looking forward to making a bunch of goodies....even though it's for people that don't appreciate it. I don't want to make too much stuff for just my little group because no one will eat it but my dad, who clearly needs to eat more fruits and veggies and less junk food. So maybe I'll see if any of my friends want to order a pie or other goodies for any of the holidays coming up.

:wave:

It was great :).

Lord help me, but I even enjoyed the Black Eyed Peas (except for "My Humps", I just stood slack jawed at the awfulness for that one).

I had a fun group of people around me, including 4 crazy fans from South or Central America (I didn't get exactly what country they were from) :lol:. My seats were awesome and I got to see Bono kiss Adam :sexywink:

I've slept all day since getting home because I only got 2 hours of sleep last night (yay for 6 a.m. flights :reject: ).

Very glad I went, now back to work tomorrow.

Have fun in Vegas, arw :wave:

Glad ya had such a good time and were even able to enjoy the BEP.

^ :up: :up:

I'm still in denial that I'm going to see U2. I think I will continue on that way until they take the stage. Actually, I'm in denial that I'm going to Vegas in 36 hours. I'm almost all packed to go and tomorrow should be a very easy day for me at work since I spent most of last week stocking up for a 4 day break but it still hasn't sunk in that I'm going anywhere. I can't wait to see desert sand and mountains....oh and U2!!!!

You are going to have such a great time! Enjoy everything :)!

I'll be here cowering from H1N1 which has hit the immediate area. They just shut down a school. H1N1 better not mess with my Bruce/E Street concert : daggereyestowardH1N1:

Emergen C pink lemonade is sooo much better than any of the other flavors. I hope they keep it around and not just for breast cancer month, as the package states this flavor is for. I can actually drink this without gagging like the orange one. :yuck: That one is just yucky. I can't think of any other way to describe that flavor. I made the mistake last year of buying 2 oranges at Walgreens on a buy one get one free. I ended up giving most of those away for a diffferent flavor, which was bad but not as bad :barf: There's a store in Phoenix that sells them individually so I was able to try a few flavors and they were all rotten but I still buy it and drink them. My allergist said to do this year round but if not all year then at least during flu season. Vitamin c pills, or any other vitamins, make me want to throw up so I guess I'd rather drink something that tastes bad then take a pill.

ESPN just said Dante Wesley only got a 1 game suspension without pay for his hit during yesterday's game. I think that hit deserves more than 1 game. :tsk: If you don't know what I'm talking about then go to youtube. I can't believe he took out another player like that :tsk:

^Yeah, I saw the hit and I swear I could feel it a little bit :crack:

The people I heard talking about it speculated he would only get a one game suspension.

On a totally different topic:
Why did Disney mess w/ Tinkerbell? She looks like Peter Pan in the new movie previews. I demand classic Tink :yes:

ok since when can you bring a 3 oz bottle on an airplane? I thought it was only 2 oz. :huh: I just ran to Target to get a few things for my trip and was a little confused over the choice of 2 and 3 oz bottles they have. Some of the 3 oz bottles even had a little airplane on it saying it was TSA approved. It's been a while since I've flown with just carryons so I guess I haven't paid much attention to that particular restriction since I just pack all of my bottles. So I looked on TSA's website when I got home and it says 3 oz bottles in a 1 quart bag is acceptable. Good to know. I was going to put all of my 2 oz bottles in little baggies.

I could give you a brief history...but I won't. :shifty: You can actually go up to 3.4 ounces, I believe, and as long as you can get all your little bottles in one clear plastic quart zip lock bag you're good! I have one that I pretty much never unpack...it's all travel size versions of some of the liquids and gels I use that I just refill from the non-travel sized ones.

It has been over 3 years now and I ALWAYS end up in a security line behind someone that has packed all their expensive, full-size liquids and gels and two bottles of water for the plane. :angry:

I'll be here cowering from H1N1 which has hit the immediate area. They just shut down a school. H1N1 better not mess with my Bruce/E Street concert : daggereyestowardH1N1:

I work with a total hypochondriac who is FREAKING OUT about H1N1. Anyone who comes in with the slightest cough or sniffle pisses her off because they didn't stay at home with their swine flu. She spent her lunch hour today calling various pharmacies and doctor's offices looking for someone who had the vaccine. :rolleyes:

I could give you a brief history...but I won't. :shifty: You can actually go up to 3.4 ounces, I believe, and as long as you can get all your little bottles in one clear plastic quart zip lock bag you're good! I have one that I pretty much never unpack...it's all travel size versions of some of the liquids and gels I use that I just refill from the non-travel sized ones.

It has been over 3 years now and I ALWAYS end up in a security line behind someone that has packed all their expensive, full-size liquids and gels and two bottles of water for the plane. :angry:

ok so that means it must have changed from 2 to 3. I was really confused at Target today. Was that made publc knowledge that it changed? I've been out of the news loop the last few years while attending school and working til midnight. I feel like I missed a lot of minor news stories such as this....

ok so that means it must have changed from 2 to 3. I was really confused at Target today. Was that made publc knowledge that it changed? I've been out of the news loop the last few years while attending school and working til midnight. I feel like I missed a lot of minor news stories such as this....

I don't think there was ever anything HUGE about the change, but I don't think everyone really know all the rules. My mom, who has been a fairly frequent flier for the last few years, didn't know you were allowed to buy a water bottle after security and carry it on...which I ALWAYS do just in case I end up with an extra-long taxi.

I think if you know enough to look at the TSA website, you know more than those people I mange to get behind in the security line. :)

We had a friend who moved to Nevada fly back here a few months ago and he was completely flipped out because he was in line behind people who didn't understand to take the METAL out of your pockets while going through the METAL detector.

I work with a total hypochondriac who is FREAKING OUT about H1N1. Anyone who comes in with the slightest cough or sniffle pisses her off because they didn't stay at home with their swine flu. She spent her lunch hour today calling various pharmacies and doctor's offices looking for someone who had the vaccine. :rolleyes:
Oh my.
I have a father who is not happy that I have not gotten a flu shot. A regular flu shot. On a regular basis he asks when my next Dr appt. is. The same date as when I told you yesterday, dad :banghead: Then he starts in on the whole Walgreeens has flu shots. I then remind him that the Dr. doesn't charge me a extra $25 that Walgreens does. Gosh those are fun conversations :crack:

I don't plan on getting a H1N1 shot.

Oh my.
I have a father who is not happy that I have not gotten a flu shot. A regular flu shot. On a regular basis he asks when my next Dr appt. is. The same date as when I told you yesterday, dad :banghead: Then he starts in on the whole Walgreeens has flu shots. I then remind him that the Dr. doesn't charge me a extra $25 that Walgreens does. Gosh those are fun conversations :crack:

I don't plan on getting a H1N1 shot.

I'll get it if it's free at work. I only ever get flu shots if they're free. I can recall having actual, full-blown flu only once in my life, my senior year of high school. I don't have any outstanding reasons why I might be one of those people H1N1 hit really hard, and I generally wash my hands or douse myself in Purell all day long so I think I'll be okay. As will the office hypochondriac, as much as she keeps checking that she's not turning blue and feeling achy and nauseous. :rolleyes:

doesn't Walgreens give free flu shots with insurance cards? Our grocery stores do. I got a flu shot last year at Costco for free with my insurance.

I'm on the fence over the h1n1 shot. I'm definitely at a higher risk than most since I have asthma...and no insurance for another month...but I'm not sure if I want to get a new shot the first year it comes out. How do they know there's not any side effects down the road? I'm more worried about getting a simple cold on the plane this week than anything.

of course the game on monday night football is good and it's two teams I follow....I hate getting up at 3:30 well 4:00 lately. Too early! :sigh: But I have a job in a field I went to school for and that's really more than a lot of people I know can say lately so 3:30 is looking like an awesome hour for my alarm to go off.....

doesn't Walgreens give free flu shots with insurance cards? Our grocery stores do. I got a flu shot last year at Costco for free with my insurance.

I'm on the fence over the h1n1 shot. I'm definitely at a higher risk than most since I have asthma...and no insurance for another month...but I'm not sure if I want to get a new shot the first year it comes out. How do they know there's not any side effects down the road? I'm more worried about getting a simple cold on the plane this week than anything.

I feel weird about going to Walgreens and Costco for a shot. I don't know why it seems different to me than going to the computer training room in the basement of my office building for a shot...but it does. And part of it might have been that I could get off the phone for an extra 15 minutes and go socialize in flu shot line...:shifty:

Between K (co-worker) going to sleep at 6:25 after working all night and arw getting up at 3:30 and heading out to work, my reaction is :yawn: Getting out of work early is nice, but prying one's body out of bed in the winter at that hour makes me twitch.

Always can tell that something big happens on Backstreets. It crashes. Tonight it was a marriage proposal and Bruce playing I Wanna Marry You and then Bruce played All Shook Up with a Elvis impersonator on stage :giggle:

Flu shots available September through February. Just $24.99. Appointments
are encouraged

If you have Medicare Part B and are not a member of an HMO, your flu and pneumonia shots will be free if you present your Medicare card at time of shot
I will be waiting, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom