2015 U2 Tour News - delivered to Interference.com first and exclusively

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When ever U2 tickets do go on sale, it will not be impacted by other artist especially a small band like the Foo Fighters.

No band that can play large arenas and stadiums throughout the world can possibly be described as "small".

When ever U2 tickets do go on sale, it will not be impacted by other artist especially a small band like the Foo Fighters. U2 tickets could very well be going on sale next week, the following week, December or perhaps not until 2015. Stay on the look out and be ready, especially if you are trying to get particular type of tickets at a certain price. If Pre-sales are like the other times, the first groups to get a crack at tickets may only have a window of a day to just a few hours before others get in and finally the general public gets access. So once again, stay alert and be ready.

Um. The Foo Fighters aren't a small band. They are one of the biggest rock bands in the world. Given that they've been around since the mid-90s, I do imagine there is a bit of overlap on the fan bases. I know I'm a fan of both, but I don't know if there's enough to cause the bands to not want to announce tours the same week.

Any guesses as to which markets they are going to hit in North America? I'm guessing that any market that was strong enough to get multiple shows on the 360 Tour has a reasonable shot:

New York/New Jersey
Los Angeles/Anaheim
Chicago
Toronto
Montreal
Boston
Mexico City
Washington/Baltimore

Normal email, but it takes them a long time to respond.

Call them and they will issue you a return label so you can send it back and get on the list. Calling is much easier and takes less time than trying to email.

I re upped today and when I called to say I didn't want the book since I already had it, they said they automatically send it so the extra copy is mine to keep and they will be sending the new promotion when it's announced as well. Bonus gift for a U2 friend. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The residency thing has me quite excited about the tour DVD. Possibility of a main show, and then a second 'show' cut from all the songs they played on other nights.

The residency thing has me quite excited about the tour DVD. Possibility of a main show, and then a second 'show' cut from all the songs they played on other nights.

I believe that generally it is one night mainly used, with shots or even whole songs from other nights at the same venue interspersed.
Having said that, I'm hoping the tour DVD will be shot in Europe.

I believe that generally it is one night mainly used, with shots or even whole songs from other nights at the same venue interspersed.
Having said that, I'm hoping the tour DVD will be shot in Europe.

It usually is, yeah - just exciting to think what they might do if there is a long string of shows in a city - super setlist of all songs played t the venue?

No band that can play large arenas and stadiums throughout the world can possibly be described as "small".

Um. The Foo Fighters aren't a small band. They are one of the biggest rock bands in the world. Given that they've been around since the mid-90s, I do imagine there is a bit of overlap on the fan bases. I know I'm a fan of both, but I don't know if there's enough to cause the bands to not want to announce tours the same week.

I didn't realize they had become so big south of the equator. Still, in most countries in Europe and North America, they still appear to be a single night arena act per city. That is very small when the comparison is to U2. I looked at their past shows in the United States and Canada and the only market I could find where they played arena shows on back to back nights or more was in the LA market, and at that it was only two. The LA forum I believe. The 360 tour by U2 did nearly $750 million while the Wasting Light Tour was unable to even get to $100 million gross money from ticket sales. So in that respect, the Foo Fighters are tiny when compared to U2.

I didn't realize they had become so big south of the equator. Still, in most countries in Europe and North America, they still appear to be a single night arena act per city. That is very small when the comparison is to U2. I looked at their past shows in the United States and Canada and the only market I could find where they played arena shows on back to back nights or more was in the LA market, and at that it was only two. The LA forum I believe. The 360 tour by U2 did nearly $750 million while the Wasting Light Tour was unable to even get to $100 million gross money from ticket sales. So in that respect, the Foo Fighters are tiny when compared to U2.

There not as big as u2 but i wouldnt class them as tiny,there quite a big band here in the uk and have just announced a uk stadium tour,which includes two dates at wembley stadium

There not as big as u2 but i wouldnt class them as tiny,there quite a big band here in the uk and have just announced a uk stadium tour,which includes two dates at wembley stadium

I saw that as well, but the UK is only a fraction of the entire European market. Plus in the United States there are probably dozens of artist who could do better business than the Foo Fighters. No doubt a great band and one of the best active ones, but in terms of being BIG commercially worldwide, not really. But then again only a small number of artist ever get that big worldwide.

OK... So every band smaller in stature than U2 might as well be playing the local pub.

Got it.

OK... So every band smaller in stature than U2 might as well be playing the local pub.

Got it.

Oh, not at all. I certainly didn't say that. But there are dozens of artist that are able to play the typical arena circuit or amphitheater/shed circuit each year. In order to separate yourself from the pack, you need to be able to do multiple nights in the same market in a venue of that size and the Foo Fighters can't do that except in LA, Chicago, and New York in the USA.

Like I said, any band that can play arenas is not a small band. That's the top end of the market.

Oh, not at all. I certainly didn't say that. But there are dozens of artist that are able to play the typical arena circuit or amphitheater/shed circuit each year. In order to separate yourself from the pack, you need to be able to do multiple nights in the same market in a venue of that size and the Foo Fighters can't do that except in LA, Chicago, and New York in the USA.

OK now I got it. If you can sell out multiple nights in arenas in the largest markets in the US, you're a small band.

Whew. Thanks for clearing this up.

Aside from the Stones and Springsteen (at least in the US) who else can play more than one night at a stadium in multie cities around the globe?

Beyoncé/Jay-Z? Pink Floyd? Macca? I guess Garth Brooks. Genuinely curious.

I'd say that in the US, U2 and Springsteen are about even, though U2 seems the overall stronger draw globally.

And in these situations, you'd really have to compare US/Canada to the EU to South America, etc. One-to-one country comparisons never quite work.

Sent from

Aside from the Stones and Springsteen (at least in the US) who else can play more than one night at a stadium in multie cities around the globe?

I'd say that in the US, U2 and Springsteen are about even, though U2 seems the overall stronger draw globally.

And in these situations, you'd really have to compare US/Canada to the EU to South America, etc. One-to-one country comparisons never quite work.

I just posed your question to a VP at Live Nation Bay Area. I'll let you know what he says in a few.

Sent from

I would definitely say Beyoncé, most likely Taylor Swift. One Direction might be able to pull it off as well. But other rock bands. Nope. At least not truly globally.

And here's what he says....
"Lots of factors go into that question. Ticket price. Size of stadium etc. AT&T Park is a lot smaller than Levi's or Oakland. Green Day priced their tickets at $55 and Stones can be $250. No "real" answer to that question. Jay/Justin and Jay/Beyonce are double bills that work. One direction has done multiples. Taylor Swift. It's all about the bill and if you have just one act or a couple good acts."

Then I ask the following: Let's say, for this question, that the artist charges between $100 to $400 for tickets, and plays stadium equivalent to AT&T Park. I'm trying to bring this to the "easiest possible" answer. Would you think that guys like Bruce, U2 or Garth Brooks would qualify, then?

And he says: "Roger Waters, Garth Brooks, U2, Bruce. Heritage acts generally get the big ticket $$. The rest need to be between $50-$150."

I would definitely say Beyoncé, most likely Taylor Swift. One Direction might be able to pull it off as well. But other rock bands. Nope. At least not truly globally.

Womanfish, you just about nailed what my colleague said.

and a P.S. He already knows when U2's returning to the Bay Area. He didn't tell me, but he would tell me if he didn't know.

"Lots of factors go into that question. Ticket price. Size of stadium etc. AT&T Park is a lot smaller than Levi's or Oakland. Green Day priced their tickets at $55 and Stones can be $250. No "real" answer to that question. Jay/Justin and Jay/Beyonce are double bills that work. One direction has done multiples. Taylor Swift. It's all about the bill and if you have just one act or a couple good acts."

Then I ask the following: Let's say, for this question, that the artist charges between $100 to $400 for tickets, and plays stadium equivalent to AT&T Park. I'm trying to bring this to the "easiest possible" answer. Would you think that guys like Bruce, U2 or Garth Brooks would qualify, then?

And he says: "Roger Waters, Garth Brooks, U2, Bruce. Heritage acts generally get the big ticket $$. The rest need to be between $50-$150."

Very interesting. Thanks!

Sent from

Makes a lot of sense.

and a P.S. He already knows when U2's returning to the Bay Area. He didn't tell me, but he would tell me if he didn't know.
That probably means they're playing the Bay Area on the first leg. Now I'm finding the 7 cities idea to be bullshit.

Sent from

I'm talking about the equivalent of basketball arenas, 18,000 capacity. The Foo Fighters struggle to fill a single show in a venue that size in the United States.

I'm talking about the equivalent of basketball arenas, 18,000 capacity. The Foo Fighters struggle to fill a single show in a venue that size in the United States.

Except, they don't. They underplayed LA last tour and easily sold out 2 nights at the Forum. They sold out Wrigley in Chicago instantly. They and Muse are probably the biggest selling rock bands right now, outside of U2 and "heritage acts".

Also, we will find out really fast who is right here as the Foos are set to announce their NA tour.

Except, they don't. They underplayed LA last tour and easily sold out 2 nights at the Forum. They sold out Wrigley in Chicago instantly. They and Muse are probably the biggest selling rock bands right now, outside of U2 and "heritage acts".

Also, we will find out really fast who is right here as the Foos are set to announce their NA tour.

Muse can only sell out US arenas in LA, NYC, maybe Chicago. The show I saw last year in Columbus had less than 6,000 people in an arena that can hold 20,000. The entire upper bowl was curtained off, and there was no rear stage seating, and it still didn't sell out. Muse shouldn't be playing arenas in the US, there are few cities they can even break the 10,000 mark.

Kings of Leon and The killers are another example of the biggest bands from the previous decade, and they play to half full arenas all the time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom