2015 U2 Tour News - delivered to Interference.com first and exclusively

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except, they don't. They underplayed LA last tour and easily sold out 2 nights at the Forum. They sold out Wrigley in Chicago instantly. They and Muse are probably the biggest selling rock bands right now, outside of U2 and "heritage acts".

Also, we will find out really fast who is right here as the Foos are set to announce their NA tour.

I do think the Foos have more of a pull than many are giving them credit for here. There is a void in rock music right now. And to their credit they have been doing more publicity than anyone. I think they will easily fill arenas, with multiples in the top cities like NY, LA, Chicago, etc... Their tickets will be less than U2's and they will have music on the radio, and they are just more current.

U2, to be fair will not have the draw they had last tour. 360 still pulled a ton of fairweather people in from the somewhat recent popularity of Beautiful Day and Vertigo. Boots at least got a little airplay.

This time, they are WAY removed from a successful album and/or single. 10 years removed. And so far the press for this album has been uneven.

They obviously will have no problem with multiple-night arenas in most cities. But I would be wary of stadiums in many non-U2 cities like here in Tampa. Or through a lot of the southern plains states.

They obviously will have no problem with multiple-night arenas in most cities. But I would be wary of stadiums in many non-U2 cities like here in Tampa. Or through a lot of the southern plains states.
I doubt they are going to do 360-degree seating in stadiums ever again. They could sell out stadiums with the normal 180-degree configuration.

Muse can only sell out US arenas in LA, NYC, maybe Chicago. The show I saw last year in Columbus had less than 6,000 people in an arena that can hold 20,000. The entire upper bowl was curtained off, and there was no rear stage seating, and it still didn't sell out. Muse shouldn't be playing arenas in the US, there are few cities they can even break the 10,000 mark.

Kings of Leon and The killers are another example of the biggest bands from the previous decade, and they play to half full arenas all the time too.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Muse are massive in europe and can fill most stadiums

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/Charts2011/2011YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf

Size is all relative. Would we consider the Foo Fighters (#43) or any other act in this 2011 Top 50 list "small"? Of course not. But since we're interested in determining whether a Foo Fighters US tour announcement would potentially have any influence on U2's plans, we need to take into account their drawing power as a live act and compare it to what U2 is able to pull off. And here's where we probably arrive at the conclusion that the Foo Fighters are in fact "small" if compared to U2 or any other act able to tour stadiums in the US extensively. This, of course, doesn't deny they're still huge.

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/Charts2011/2011YearEndTop200NorthAmericanTours.pdf

Size is all relative. Would we consider the Foo Fighters (#43) or any other act in this 2011 Top 50 list "small"? Of course not. But since we're interested in determining whether a Foo Fighters US tour announcement would potentially have any influence on U2's plans, we need to take into account their drawing power as a live act and compare it to what U2 is able to pull off. And here's where we probably arrive at the conclusion that the Foo Fighters are in fact "small" if compared to U2 or any other act able to tour stadiums in the US extensively. This, of course, doesn't deny they're still huge.

Hey, great find there. Thanks for the link.

So how did the Foo Fighters do in North America on their last tour for their album Wasting Light? With the above link we discover the following:

Foo Fighters: Wasting Light Tour North America 2011
36 shows in 35 cities
The average attendance per show was only 11,679. That's in arena sized venues with an average capacity of 18,000. So on average none of the shows were soldout and only about 2/3s full. These are the type of shows where you can walk up to the boxoffice 10 minutes before show time and still get a decent seat.
The promoter of these shows was probably slightly concerned the band might play to a less than half full venue after the initial day of sales for many shows.

Contrast that with U2:
U2: 360 Tour North America 2011
25 shows in 21 cities
The average attendance per show was 81,023.
I'd say that's the difference between a Giant and Midget in the concert industry. Its funny to suggest U2 would be worried about Foo Fighter tickets going on sale.

Here is a suggestion for the Foo Fighters. Instead of playing for half full or 2/3s full arenas on your own, open for U2 and play to 80,000 people a night.

Muse nearly sold out an 18k seat arena in DC in September 2013. Coldplay sold out two consecutive nights at the same venue for their MX tour. I don't have the hard numbers, just firsthand observation.

36 shows in 35 cities
The average attendance per show was only 11,679.

25 shows in 21 cities

Muse nearly sold out an 18k seat arena in DC in September 2013.

I don't understand if you're agreeing with bono92 here or you're not....

The average attendance per show was only 11,679. That's in arena sized venues with an average capacity of 18,000. So on average none of the shows were soldout and only about 2/3s full. These are the type of shows where you can walk up to the boxoffice 10 minutes before show time and still get a decent seat.
The promoter of these shows was probably slightly concerned the band might play to a less than half full venue after the initial day of sales for many shows.

"Capacity of 18,000 on average"....I don't think so. Most arenas have capacities between 12,000 and 16,000 and normal concert set up doesn't sell behind stage. Most of these shows were sell outs or near sell outs. They aren't as big a ticket as U2, but they are by no means a "small act", drop the flawed argument.

First world problems :wink: I've waded through the thread and still trying to decide if I should sign up for U2.com or not. Is it worth it? I just want GA tickets for whatever is closest to me, maybe 2-3 cities if possible. (Hoping they don't do this residency thing, unless it's nearby of course :lol: ) Also, are they announcing a new gift tomorrow or something?

I haven't seen them since 2001. SO EXCITED :drool:

Hey, great find there. Thanks for the link.

So how did the Foo Fighters do in North America on their last tour for their album Wasting Light? With the above link we discover the following:

36 shows in 35 cities

Contrast that with U2:
25 shows in 21 cities
I'd say that's the difference between a Giant and Midget in the concert industry. Its funny to suggest U2 would be worried about Foo Fighter tickets going on sale.

Here is a suggestion for the Foo Fighters. Instead of playing for half full or 2/3s full arenas on your own, open for U2 and play to 80,000 people a night.

For fucks sake...

The Foo Fighters are not a small band. Your argument that they are is just stupid.

The argument that the Foo Fighters announcing a tour will effect U2's tour decisions is equally stupid. Zeppelin could announce they were reforming for a final tour and U2 would still go about their plans, as is. They're a big enough touring act at this point in their careers that they are good regardless of whomever else is out there.

The only effect any other act, no matter how big or small they are, will have on U2's touring decision is simply if the other act, be it the Rolling Stones or the circus, already has the venue booked at the time U2 wanted to play there. That's it.

But just because U2 are a massive touring act doesn't fucking mean that everyone else is puny, especially a band line the Foo Fighters.

Fuck this debate is stupid.

Sent from my ass crack

Just curious, what do y'all think of the Foo Fighters? I heard that their tour is going on sale soon. Do you think U2 should delay there's?

Just curious, what do y'all think of the Foo Fighters? I heard that their tour is going on sale soon. Do you think U2 should delay there's?

I'm not a huge fan and wouldn't go out of my way to see them, but I appreciate their position as one of the last "glamorous" rock bands, and if they were performing at an event I was already going to, I'd catch them. I've seen them three times, all at festivals, and enjoyed each time.

Well, what I think is that people in this thread should learn the difference between there and their, as well as effect and affect.

:wink:

Fucking iPhone voice to text shit. For acting all elite you think they could at least pick the right "there".

#passingthebuck

Can all y'all just go start a thread called "Hey, Do You Think The Foo Fighters Are Big Or Small, and Is U2 Scared of Them, and What's This About Farts?"

Dave Grohl murdered Kurt Cobain to get out of Nirvana so he could start a small average band.

if they were performing at an event I was already going to, I'd catch them.

Agreed. That's about all I can say for them.

I wish them no ill will. Dave Grohl seems like a smart, engaging, nice person. But I kind of hate his singing. At least in his radio songs, he does the same "masculine" shouty-sing that I associate with insecure teenage boys everywhere.

I've heard it said that someone somewhere thinks U2 all sounds the same. That baffles me. But, to my casual ears, that does apply to FF. Coldplay comes across as more daring.

Sent from

Even though the guy who runs the Montreal Concerts site isn't a bullshitter,i'll believe it when it will be announce.If they really announce only 7 cities,i still have my doubts that Montreal will be one of them.i doubt that this market can have a residency.2 nights? no problem.4-5 nights?,i have huge doubts.Only Celine Dion manage the hold a residency here,8 nights on here last tour in 2008.

The only way that Evenko can convince Live Nation that the market can support this ,is if they hold the residency during the week of the F1 Grand Prix,which is the first week of June next year.The biggest tourism event that Canada draw yearly.

I think Montreal could be more on a reserve list of cities that would be ad after seeing how many shows they would sell in Toronto.But again,perhaps if Evenko is pushing the idea to hold it on the week of the F1 Grand Prix...plus maybe Live nation will be seduce by the fact they sold 162 000 tickets on the 360 tour at the hippodrome,which equal 8 nights at the Bell Center.

Will see on Monday.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom