2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly...I lost all my excitement for the tour. I really hope they'll change the setlist coming to Europe, otherwise I probably sell my tickets.

Ah don't say that! Have you already been to see them or are these upcoming shows your first of the tour?

Ah don't say that! Have you already been to see them or are these upcoming shows your first of the tour?
I've seen them on Vertigo and 360. They're my favourite band for 15 years or so (age 30). But the lack of creativity, the songs they choose to play.....

There was a time I understood (almost) everything they did, (almost) every decision they made was right to me, the last years it's quite the opposite. Sadly but true.

It's great for all the people who got on stage, but I really don't care for that. I'm not interested in karaoke One, I'm not interested in seeing a random girl filming an uninspired version of Mysterious Ways etc etc.

Gloria, October and The Electric Co were highlights, but that's just it. I like Songs Of Innocence and Bullet is great this time again. I don't know, I'm just disappointed.

I've seen them on Vertigo and 360. They're my favourite band for 15 years or so (age 30). But the lack of creativity, the songs they choose to play.....

There was a time I understood (almost) everything they did, (almost) every decision they made was right to me, the last years it's quite the opposite. Sadly but true.

It's great for all the people who got on stage, but I really don't care for that. I'm not interested in karaoke One, I'm not interested in seeing a random girl filming an uninspired version of Mysterious Ways etc etc.

Gloria, October and The Electric Co were highlights, but that's just it. I like Songs Of Innocence and Bullet is great this time again. I don't know, I'm just disappointed.

Still love how people can be disappointed in a SHOW they have yet to see, granted you can be disappointed in song selection but it baffles me as a U2 fan how seeing U2 songs love can put you off going

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The visual spectacle alone should be enough to draw you in. Seeing Bono walk down that animated street singing Cedarwood Road to me was a pretty wondrous moment the first time I saw it. The Until the End of the World, Big Bono, Small Edge, waterspitting moment is pretty cool too. Its a great show objectively. I'd like to see my 24 favorite songs played too, but what they've picked here is just fine. I don't really want to hear PITNOL live anymore but its still a great performance that the crowd absolutely eats up.

I can't really take credit for that... Brooklynmike really sent it home at the end, I must admit! :D

So that's still 7 or so new songs from an album you like and at least one or two versions of older songs you'd enjoy seeing... or am I reading this wrong?

The visual spectacle alone should be enough to draw you in. Seeing Bono walk down that animated street singing Cedarwood Road to me was a pretty wondrous moment the first time I saw it. The Until the End of the World, Big Bono, Small Edge, waterspitting moment is pretty cool too. Its a great show objectively. I'd like to see my 24 favorite songs played too, but what they've picked here is just fine. I don't really want to hear PITNOL live anymore but its still a great performance that the crowd absolutely eats up.

Yep.

Just fucking go... If anything else, it beats sitting at home any night. Plus it's an awesome show. I only saw 1 show, and I regret that. I needed about 3.

Sure, It's boring to BTBS on the setlist every night... It's another thing to see it in person, with actual energy put into it (unlike the Vertigo version).

Even though I won't be there, I really hope California or Crystal Ballroom show up tonight. The NYC setlists have been surprisingly stale.

I can't really take credit for that... Brooklynmike really sent it home at the end, I must admit! :D

So that's still 7 or so new songs from an album you like and at least one or two versions of older songs you'd enjoy seeing... or am I reading this wrong?

Yep.
True. But we'll probably get Stuck, Elevation, Ordinary Love instead. Once they used to push the boundaries, these days....well not so much to say mildly.

Just fucking go... If anything else, it beats sitting at home any night. Plus it's an awesome show. I only saw 1 show, and I regret that. I needed about 3.

Sure, It's boring to BTBS on the setlist every night... It's another thing to see it in person, with actual energy put into it (unlike the Vertigo version).

Even though I won't be there, I really hope California or Crystal Ballroom show up tonight. The NYC setlists have been surprisingly stale.

I don't have any problems with Bullet. This tour's version is excellent. Glad you enjoyed the show:up:

True. But we'll probably get Stuck, Elevation, Ordinary Love instead. Once they used to push the boundaries, these days....well not so much to say mildly.

There's 100x more fluctuation in the setlist for this tour than there was on ZooTV or Popmart when they "pushed". You look at the first show on popmart and the last show and I'd be shocked if there's 3 different songs in the set. Where as any given night you can get a gem that's been buried for years, how often have the band played non album tracks from their newest album? Fast Cars?..Satellite of Love? That's about it, but this tour..Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer's Hands.. I think it's been a brilliant tour, and the shows I went to were extraordinary. Fans are so goddamn jaded, if a show isn't opening with Hawkmoon and closing with Love is Blindness it's 'going through the motions'..yeesh.

Sadly...I lost all my excitement for the tour. I really hope they'll change the setlist coming to Europe, otherwise I probably sell my tickets.

article-2228104-15DC90F3000005DC-163_306x443.jpg

:wink:

Seriously though, even if the setlist isn't the most ambitious, the shows themselves are great.

There's 100x more fluctuation in the setlist for this tour than there was on ZooTV or Popmart when they "pushed". You look at the first show on popmart and the last show and I'd be shocked if there's 3 different songs in the set. Where as any given night you can get a gem that's been buried for years, how often have the band played non album tracks from their newest album? Fast Cars?..Satellite of Love? That's about it, but this tour..Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer's Hands.. I think it's been a brilliant tour, and the shows I went to were extraordinary. Fans are so goddamn jaded, if a show isn't opening with Hawkmoon and closing with Love is Blindness it's 'going through the motions'..yeesh.
Those setlists were very static yes, but the concept was better, most of the songs were better, the performance was better. I think I like 95% of their eighties and nineties material and maybe 40-50% of their post 2000 material. It's not all about diversity, it's also about quality. Bringing dozens of people up on stage to play some high school versions of some of their songs, Bono who barely sings One. Last night I listened to a 1992 Zoo TV bootleg and my jaw dropped listening to One. The way that song (and others) are performed these days is mediocre to say the least. You might think I'm jaded, I just have different expectations.

article-2228104-15DC90F3000005DC-163_306x443.jpg

:wink:

Seriously though, even if the setlist isn't the most ambitious, the shows themselves are great.

Yep. At the show I went to, by the time the E Stage rotation came around I really didn't care what they played. I was having such a good time that they could have played Stand Up Comedy and I wouldn't have flipped out and left.

Aside from One, Bono sings every song. He has had amatuers come on stage to play a supporting rhythm guitar on one song at just a handful of the concerts. I think a lot of the old songs are performed very well on this tour. Bullet is the standout thats for sure. Bono at 52 has limitations to his voice that he didn't have before, but he still sounds absolutely brilliant at times on Every Breaking Wave etc.

Bono at 52 has limitations to his voice that he didn't have before, .

Actually, he sounds best since ZooTV...

Sing along One was a very good choice. I was sick and tired of uninspired, exactly the same old version last 3 tours. Now, thanks to the crowd it is a very emotional, moving moment. It is a reward for the band and a chance for the crowd to express how much they love U2. I think it works perfectly.:heart:

Bono's voice has been very good to excellent this first leg, and that is a first for me since I've been coming to shows (Popmart).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom