2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least they're already turning on SOI, albeit still optimistic that the songs can reach a second gear live. That's a reasonable view to take. I never, ever want them to make another SOI, but if they learn something and try to make the best of it in the meantime, it's not so bad.

This was my favorite quote:

:lol: Well yeah no shit, Edge.

Bu-bu-bu-but it's about songz!

It's interesting how they target people who "don't have time to sit with an album".

Maybe this is why none of their albums over the past 15 years have that staying power and sound progressively worse every time I hear them. If you're purposefully writing stuff that is by design more immediate and cater to the most impatient listener... well, that kind of material can often wear off even quicker than that.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any insight of why U2 is like this now? Does this all stem from Pop?

Its mind blowing that they regret most of their work a few months/years after the release :huh:

It's nothing new, when you read U2byU2 it becomes obvious that apart from Achtung and maybe Joshua Tree they have misgivings about every album they've ever released.
And I think Edge made a valid point stating that not every song on No Line is as good as Moment of Surrender, because while it might be nice to think that the album would have been of that quality if they hadn't reigned themselves in, it's almost 100% sure that it wouldn't have been. MOS is the exception, not the norm.

Last edited:
It's nothing new, when you read U2byU2 it becomes obvious that apart from Achtung and maybe Joshua Tree they have misgivings about every album they've ever released.
And I think Edge made a valid point stating that not every song on No Line is as good as Moment of Surrender, because while it might be nice to think that the album would have been of that quality if they hadn't reigned themselves in, it's almost 100% sure that it wouldn't have been. MOS is the exception, not the norm.

I remember that about U2 by U2.

I find it shocking Bono is already talking about SOI. Tour just started and were already having regrets :lol:

This is probably the root of California, Volcano, & Reach Me not being played live. Band probably doesn't care for those songs anymore.

This I will agree with, there is an interview with Bono from the JT/R&H era where he says he can't listen to any of their earlier records because he isn't happy with any of it.

Oh, U2. You never stick to your guns. Frustrating.
barney-wall-punch-o.gif
:love: the GIF because I'm 14 episodes from finishing HIMYM.

Last edited:
This I will agree with, there is an interview with Bono from the JT/R&H era where he says he can't listen to any of their earlier records because he isn't happy with any of it.

Most musicians have those thoughts about their own work to some extent though, right? I mean, John Lennon often talked about how he didn't like how some of The Beatles songs were recorded and how he wanted to redo most of them (probably not literally, but in the sense of expressing that he wasn't happy with them).

This is probably the root of California, Volcano, & Reach Me not being played live. Band probably doesn't care for those songs anymore.

Well, Volcano and Reach Me are clearly songs that doesn't fit Bono's statement.
But we don't need to find any logic here, the band is completely away from reality, even from their own reality.

It's interesting how they target people who "don't have time to sit with an album".

Maybe this is why none of their albums over the past 15 years have that staying power and sound progressively worse every time I hear them. If you're purposefully writing stuff that is by design more immediate and cater to the most impatient listener... well, that kind of material can often wear off even quicker than that.

That's a great point... Joshua Tree was earnest arena rock in a time where everyone was doing trashy throw away music, and it's endured.

Achtung Baby was U2 getting trashy as everyone else was getting serious. It, too, lived on.

Even All That You Can't Leave Behind was a departure from the plastic sound of the early 2000s. As much as many here don't want to admit it, it's endured.

U2 have been at their best when they've bucked the trends, rather than try to match the trends.

They don't know what the fuck they're talking about. They're just bitter because SOI had no HITZ. It's their own fucking fault this album didn't fair better, performance wise, not the quality of the music. SOI is a good album that stood a chance, but they fucked it up by releasing it the way they did.

I will always be irritated at them for making their best album in years, and then completely botching the release and giving people a reason to hate it before they even heard it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
That's a great point... Joshua Tree was earnest arena rock in a time where everyone was doing trashy throw away music, and it's endured.

Achtung Baby was U2 getting trashy as everyone else was getting serious. It, too, lived on.

Even All That You Can't Leave Behind was a departure from the plastic sound of the early 2000s. As much as many here don't want to admit it, it's endured.

U2 have been at their best when they've bucked the trends, rather than try to match the trends.

SO true.

It's hard to imagine the band not caring for Reach Me Now. I'm baffled about why they're not playing it, but doesn't strike me as the right reason. I'm really hoping they work it out by...maybe stadium time next year?

NLOTH
MOS
Breathe
Fez/Being Born

Great songs from NLOTH. All have the magical U2 touch.

I think the one thing needed on NLOTH was a solid U2 ballad. MOS is a ballad in some ways but doesn't sound like U2.

Exactly. They have lost a lot of confidence after POP and Pop mart debacle and they started to play it safe and started to overthink everything.

Exactly. They have lost a lot of confidence after POP and Pop mart debacle and they started to play it safe and started to overthink everything.

I was telling my wife when we went to see I&E Tour in Phoneix, how it still amazes me U2 played 8-9 new songs (opening night 10 songs!) on the Popmart. These huge stadiums and they still played those songs even though the album failed.

Even though 1997 U2 wouldn't have written an album like SOI they still would have played 9-10 of those songs live at the show.

Both Phoenix shows were awesome (especially the 1st show) but I was a little disappointed I only heard 5.5 songs from the album (EBW piano counts as half a song :up:) both nights

AB wasn´t thrashy. It was heavy processed, perfectly produced record full of ground breaking songs while everyone else was doing grunge or dancefloor.

ATYCLB didn´t endure as far as I know, except Beautiful Day. Luckily. Til this day I feel embarrassed for the band for the autopilot safe pop direction they went for on that record.

I agree with you about Joshua Tree and SOI if you have mentioned it :)

I was telling my wife when we went to see I&E Tour in Phoneix, how it still amazes me U2 played 8-9 new songs (opening night 10 songs!) on the Popmart. These huge stadiums and they still played those songs even though the album failed.

Even though 1997 U2 wouldn't have written an album like SOI they still would have played 9-10 of those songs live at the show.

Both Phoenix shows were awesome (especially the 1st show) but I was a little disappointed I only heard 5.5 songs from the album (EBW piano counts as half a song :up:) both nights

Yep, that was my biggest complain about the tour, but hopefully they are imrooving it now

Absolutely. U2's peaks have always been when they didn't sound like anything else.

Unfortunately for U2's ambitions, their age + cultural shifts in music consumption + age of fanbase gives them little to no hope of hitting another mainstream peak.

ATYCLB didn´t endure as far as I know, except Beautiful Day.

it did. everyone basically loves it. BD is an all-time classic. Stuck still gets radio play and is widely loved. Walk On as well, though less radio play. Elevation makes people dance in concerts. many people own the album, because people bought albums in 2000. it's likely the 3rd or 4th most popular U2 album of all time, and a confirmation of their strengths.

it endures.

Absolutely. U2's peaks have always been when they didn't sound like anything else.

Unfortunately for U2's ambitions, their age + cultural shifts in music consumption + age of fanbase gives them little to no hope of hitting another mainstream peak.

Well, in a way it happens to every band. The cool thing is they will always be great live. And I think U2 deep down really cares about putting on a show for their fans.

Those Phoenix shows were amazing. The 1st half of the show is really amazing and I hope any U2 fan gets to experience that part of the set.

And maybe Songs Of Experience will give us the U2 album we all want :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom