2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was also the NYC Red charity concert where Bruce and Chris filled in for Bono. Would've had Tonight show nov 17-21, dec 1 NYC red, 12/14 LA show at the Forum. Connecting the dots, there would've been a couple other appearances. They were also scheduled to play at the Grammys in February,

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Can U2 Reach Me Now? Ticket Sales, Radio Airplay Down in U.S.

It's a challenging time for U2 as the band prepares for the upcoming Innocence + Experience tour. From personal challenges like mourning the loss of close friends to Bono's recovery from his bicycle accident injuries, and professional challenges like getting terrestrial airplay and selling concert tickets for a tour that hasn't been well defined, the last few months have not been easy.

The band has historically counted on support from the U.S. market, carefully crafting a strategy in the early days to solidify a base that would carry the band throughout its career. There have been bumps in the road, especially during the PopMart tour in 1997. However, the band rebounded during the following decade on the strength of the commercial releases and sold out tours. Unfortunately, that rebound trend is not the case a month before the band embarks on a limited-engagement world tour.

Tour Ticket Sales

Surprisingly, only three U.S. dates for the Innocence + Experience tour are sold out on Ticketmaster as of April 7. While nine shows have less than 100 face value tickets remaining, many have far more. As expected, Saturday night shows sold well, as did the first set of dates announced in a city. Anyone can search for remaining inventory by clicking on the Ticketmaster sales link for the show, select "resale off", then see the blue dots around the arena when zooming in on a section.

When the tour was announced on Dec. 3, the only U.S. shows to sell out in the first week of sales were July 10 and 11 in Boston. A week later, additional nights were put on sale in Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston and New York City, which was when the July 18 show firmly sold out. On Jan. 26, night five in Los Angeles was announced. The final night in Chicago and seventh night in New York City were announced on Feb. 3. The last New York City concert was announced on March 8, where Live Nation and Madison Square Garden also offered their own set of presales on March 10 and 11.

Market saturation became an issue in Los Angeles and Chicago, which forced the band to schedule only five nights in those cities. This puts a crimp in the tour as it was supposed to be booked in pairs based on the tour's design. Adam Clayton told Q magazine last year, "We're booking the tour in pairs of shows. We want to have two different shows. That's the plan at this point, but it could all change." This was also reiterated in the formal tour announcement with a quote from Bono stating, "We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two ... and have some fun playing with the idea of innocence and experience." The saturation issue was a determining factor in adding the two nights in Denver, which were added on March 17 and March 25. The tour production needed to travel east from Los Angeles, making Denver an easy stop along the route.

In reviewing the inventory on Ticketmaster's web site on April 2, 2015, there were still over 10,000 tickets available at face value in the site's inventory for U.S. dates. (Denver is not included because Altitude ticketing service does not allow consumers to see all remaining inventory. As of this writing, pairs of $275 tickets are still available for the June 6 show and groups of eight $275 tickets are still available for June 7.)

While 10,000 tickets is relatively low all things considered, it is not what people expected from a band of U2's stature performing arena shows in major markets on a limited engagement basis. Based on U2's solid track record for arenas, along with the popularity of the U2 360 tour, the odds makers would not have predicted that the U.S. market couldn't sell out.

While the ticket numbers are low, it's the seats in the $275-$595 range that are taking a large hit. Based on the April 2 inventory, there are close to $2.2 million in unsold tickets, with Chicago and Los Angeles taking the biggest hit.

U2ieTour Revenue graphic

The resale market may impact the band's ability to move the remaining inventory. Ticketmaster's TM+ reselling service allows buyers to select from the same inventory page as the face value tickets. Those tickets are available on Ticketmaster's site by selecting "resale on" and viewing the red dots in the arena after zooming in on a section. Buyers will not want a face value ticket in the upper levels when, for a bit more money, they can buy a ticket in a more desirable location. TM+ is one of many reselling options available, and based on the inventory found on the national reselling sites, eBay and even on Living Social, it will be a harder sell for U2 and Ticketmaster to offload the remaining face value inventory. For the first time in decades, could the tour see only partially-filled U.S. arenas because resellers could not find buyers and whole rows or sections remain unsold? Time will tell.

Does the success of the 360 tour have a negative impact on ticket sales for the Innocence + Experience tour? Could it be that many music fans have crossed U2 off their concert "bucket list," and the 360 experience is what the concertgoer wants as a lasting memory? WBWC's Todd Richards, co-host of the long-running U2 Radio Marathon, hopes not. "That's so unfair to go 'Well, that's their own fault. They were too successful the last tour,'" he says. "Trust me, I know when we get through those doors and we hand them our ticket and it goes 'be-doop' and we go in, we're going to go out of our minds because we haven't seen our favorite band in over three years."

There's still very little known about the tour right now. U2 has yet to define how night one will differ from night two, nor has the band released any concept art about the stage design. All people know is the design found on Ticketmaster. U2 is relying strongly on the band's reputation to move the concert tickets.

European ticket sales have been strong but I think once the tour kicks off we are going to see a lot more of them in interviews, TV/radio performances etc. which will impact US sales I'm sure.

They've been completely out of the limelight lately.

I don't understand how this has happened. It's like U2 are teaching a class on what is the worst way to promote an album/tour/band. They aren't stupid, they've been doing this for over 30 years with great success. So why are they making stupid decisions now? Ever since McGuinness stepped down, every decision they've made regarding timing, promotion and Public Relations has been wrong. Yes, Bono's accident put a halt to the promo activity involving live performances. It's like the entire U2 organization grinded to a halt when Bono got injured. EBW could've been a big hit, if it was handled differently. The piano version AND the album version simultaneously on the radio, covering different formats, could've turned things around. Instead, they did NOTHING to push the single.

Whatever, I guess all that really matters is that I like SOI and that I am looking forward to seeing them live this summer.

Yeah, I'm kind of flummoxed that we have so little information about the tour with the opening night around the corner. It's especially strange that we haven't seen the stage design or heard about openers.

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

Yeah, I'm kind of flummoxed that we have so little information about the tour with the opening night around the corner. It's especially strange that we haven't seen the stage design or heard about openers.

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

While I agree that they have made many stupid errors this time out, and the info on this tour seems vague and disorganized, there is something larger going on across the whole musical spectrum.

Within the past couple months I've seen some pretty surprising artists having trouble selling tickets.

I live in a large metro area, and we have a very cool musical festival coming to our town. Big alternative/Indie names - The Pixies, The Strokes, Hozier, Passion Pit, Ryan Adams, Milky Chance, Run the Jewels, etc....
They are now selling half-price tickets on Groupon.

Madonna ticket sales are so-so

I can't remember all the specifics of others I've seen, but I've also seen big country acts, other festivals with lots of the major pop acts on top 40 radio, big name 90's acts, etc... all selling tickets at huge discounts. I saw a show with 3 really popular 90's alternative rock acts, and they were selling tickets for 5 dollars, for a show 3 months away. And it was a small venue.

The music industry is being fractured not just on the recording/sales side, but now also the live side. People just arent going to shows like they used to.

Older crowd is sort of outgrowing the live show thing. They have other activities and expenses to deal with. The younger crowd seem content in just streaming it and not really getting "invested" in particular artists enough to go see them live.

Beyond that, on the U2 side of things, I do believe that SO many people went to see 360. at very reasonable prices, that there's little wonder as to why U2 isn't doing well trying to sell some seats at 300 bucks a ticket. People can get a much cheaper ticket and still get a good view of the show.
The pricing structure is all wrong. They should have brought up the low end tickts 10 bucks, and lowered the top end by 100. They would have had no problem selling out.

Anyone else seeing popular artists struggling as of late with ticket sales?

It seems that right now the big successes are classic older acts that haven't toured in a LONG time, and are back for one more go (ala AC/DC, Garth, etc..)

While I agree that they have made many stupid errors this time out, and the info on this tour seems vague and disorganized, there is something larger going on across the whole musical spectrum.

Within the past couple months I've seen some pretty surprising artists having trouble selling tickets.

I live in a large metro area, and we have a very cool musical festival coming to our town. Big alternative/Indie names - The Pixies, The Strokes, Hozier, Passion Pit, Ryan Adams, Milky Chance, Run the Jewels, etc....
They are now selling half-price tickets on Groupon.

Madonna ticket sales are so-so

I can't remember all the specifics of others I've seen, but I've also seen big country acts, other festivals with lots of the major pop acts on top 40 radio, big name 90's acts, etc... all selling tickets at huge discounts. I saw a show with 3 really popular 90's alternative rock acts, and they were selling tickets for 5 dollars, for a show 3 months away. And it was a small venue.

The music industry is being fractured not just on the recording/sales side, but now also the live side. People just arent going to shows like they used to.

Older crowd is sort of outgrowing the live show thing. They have other activities and expenses to deal with. The younger crowd seem content in just streaming it and not really getting "invested" in particular artists enough to go see them live.

Beyond that, on the U2 side of things, I do believe that SO many people went to see 360. at very reasonable prices, that there's little wonder as to why U2 isn't doing well trying to sell some seats at 300 bucks a ticket. People can get a much cheaper ticket and still get a good view of the show.
The pricing structure is all wrong. They should have brought up the low end tickts 10 bucks, and lowered the top end by 100. They would have had no problem selling out.

Anyone else seeing popular artists struggling as of late with ticket sales?

It seems that right now the big successes are classic older acts that haven't toured in a LONG time, and are back for one more go (ala AC/DC, Garth, etc..)

This!!!

A few things of note about the music industry right now.

-Artist are looking at new ways of revenue. That #1 way is touring. Major artist are raising the prices on tickets to cover the lack of revenue from record sales.

-Most artist are pricing themselves out of the market. The Rolling Stones are charging $400 for a stadium show. I enjoy the Stones but I'm not paying $400 + travel expenses to see that show. I've seen them other times and I'm content with my memories not paying $400.

-There is just nothing exciting going on in music right now. I DJ part time and I add the new pop songs to please the masses and its so friggin cookie cutter. Its pretty much soul-less music for the popular crowd. And that cookie cutter music is good enough to play on youtube, stream on spotify, or hear it loud in a club. Not many people feel the urge to see someone dance & lip sync in a theater/arena with 1,000's of recording devices recording the show. Many 16-25 year olds don't live in the moment or have the same needs we once had to see a live show.

-Finally, there are so many other things people do now for entertianment than go to shows. And the show experience has changed drastically in the last 3 years.

I'm excited to see U2 in an arena again and know this won't last forever. I hope they blow the roof off again.

here in the UK Madonna hasn't sold out any of her shows yet, and across Europe where a second show has been added they've sold hardly any tickets...in her case high ticket prices, poor (hits free) setlists and start time issues (ie she starts very late) have reduced demand...plus she has toured regularly since 2000

and in the USA- it';s generally not been much better, think she added a second show in NYC but sales have been slow even there

If anything, the lack of ticket sales should give them even more of an incentive to release some new information! Announce opening acts, the stage design, details of the what they plan to do with each night etc. and you'll get more people buying tickets. It's amazing that they still haven't elaborated what each night entails or what the stage will look like and we're all just buying tickets blind.

I'm sure in an ideal world they would have wanted to have announced all of this already, so I can only assume Bono's accident forced them off schedule.

very true about Madonna. i saw her on the MDNA tour less than 3 years ago. paid like $350 for good seats. enjoyed it, knew that she doesn't go on until 10:30 so i got there at the right time, admired the production, realized that "like a prayer" is her "born to run," and crossed that right off my bucket list. i feel no need to ever see her again, though i wouldn't turn down a ticket if someone gave it to me.

it's almost as if these major artists and their tours -- with their lack of hit albums -- feel like going to a movie. if you've seen the movie, you've seen the movie. you'd have to really love it to want to see it again and again.

very true about Madonna. i saw her on the MDNA tour less than 3 years ago. paid like $350 for good seats. enjoyed it, knew that she doesn't go on until 10:30 so i got there at the right time, admired the production, realized that "like a prayer" is her "born to run," and crossed that right off my bucket list. i feel no need to ever see her again, though i wouldn't turn down a ticket if someone gave it to me.

This is me. (Except I had a nosebleed seat.)

I learned In music business school that most legacy acts charge large amounts of money for tickets based on their demographic. Guy O'Seary and Live Nation have done their research and have concluded that there is a market for people who are willing to spend $300 each for lower level tickets. These people are usually the ones who have grown up following the band, and as they got older their income increased. Emotional connection + expendable income = sales. That's why the stones charge what they do. And no, they aren't pricing themselves out of the market, based on what I just said. Ticket prices are usually a good indicator of the type of fans that particular group must cater to. For example: Nickelbacks ticket prices are reasonable, with the cheapest ticket starting at $25 going all the way to $90. Yes yes, let the jokes begin. But that's because their music caters mostly to a working class demographic. U2 GA tickets which will offer the closest spots are priced significantly cheaper because they are targeting a younger demographic who are more willing to stand on their feet in a crowd for hours on end.

It's screwed up, I know, because people who can't afford the $300 tickets are usually the biggest fans. But say what you want all of those $300 tickets will be gone by showtime and they're winning in the end.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Well yes that's also true.. but they're a good example

Excluding the party package ticket and VIP tickets, the pricing structure for Innocence and Experience is roughly the same as 360.

360 face value tickets:
$250
$95
$55
$30

Innocence And Experience tickets face value:
$275
$95
$65
$30

The price of GA was increased by $10 dollars. The standard expensive seat price was increased by $25 dollars. The cheapest ticket and the mid-level price tickets are the same price. Plus, the standard expensive tickets are closer to the stage in the arena than they were in the football stadium simply because the football field is much larger than the basketball court.

Just because i can afford to pay $300 per ticket doesn't mean id be willing to do so.

There really has to be enough reason or incentive for me to do such a thing, and right now, its just not there.

If if IF I go, I'd make it more of a low-key Ireland visit, not my usual 2-week road trip where I flail around the whole island going "I LOVE YOU IRELAND OMG Y U SO PRETTY".

Might be a nice opportunity to a) save the huuuuuge cost of a rental car; b) visit at a time when flights are much cheaper; and c) bum around the east coast via train, finally see Cork and Belfast.

oh, and I guess a few U2 shows. :wink:

If if IF IF we go, we had the same exact plans as you, lol. :D

If anything, the lack of ticket sales should give them even more of an incentive to release some new information! Announce opening acts, the stage design, details of the what they plan to do with each night etc. and you'll get more people buying tickets. It's amazing that they still haven't elaborated what each night entails or what the stage will look like and we're all just buying tickets blind.

Yeah, this. Get some news out there guys, or at least make some things happen. It's not as if Bono's injury means the other three can't do anything. They were doing plenty of radio interviews when the album was released - and Edge could do a solo appearance here and there. It may not be as high profile as the whole band, but it would go some way to driving sales.

Taytay--that graduated business model is based on an economy with a strong middle class, with people whose incomes were also graduated: fans who moved up the ladder in their chosen profession and had slowly increasing income over a lifetime that gave them more disposable income, so older fans had the income to spend on tix. Except the "tiered pricing" model for tix is still relatively new, in terms of concert biz history. Historically it wasn't that way.

With the new economic reality among all demographics, that's model is all blown out the window, WHY can't the music biz see this? Whether it's older fans struggling to cope with the expenses of adult chidren who've had to move back in, jobs uncertainty as more and more companies push their workers for early retirement to make room for those coveted young people who'll work for far less and need less benefits...

Whether it's music, movies, etc, people are choosing streaming/non-"live" forms of entertainment b/c it's cheaper. Period. I really don't think that given the chance, people really want to sit on their duffs all the time rather than go out for a date, they're just as excited as everyone else for seeing in person, but they simply don't have the income and therefore no choice but to eschew whatever costs the most. I remember reading somewhere last yr that between a third and almost half of Americans have absolutely nothing saved for retirement. And how many live paycheck to paycheck? When it's not just u2 but other acts as well across such a large spectrum, something else is going on.

if the concert industry doesn't take into account a drastically shrinking-ok, let's call it out for what it is--a DYING middle class, and attempt to make amends, then it itself will continue to shrink along with it.

And if the stage design does indeed turn out to be something close to in the round, I will be more p**ssed at Guy O$eary then ever. How could you NOT be releasing that info. what better way to get people excited?!?!?

Taytay--that graduated business model is based on an economy with a strong middle class, with people whose incomes were also graduated: fans who moved up the ladder in their chosen profession and had slowly increasing income over a lifetime that gave them more disposable income, so older fans had the income to spend on tix. Except the "tiered pricing" model for tix is still relatively new, in terms of concert biz history. Historically it wasn't that way.

With the new economic reality among all demographics, that's model is all blown out the window, WHY can't the music biz see this? Whether it's older fans struggling to cope with the expenses of adult chidren who've had to move back in, jobs uncertainty as more and more companies push their workers for early retirement to make room for those coveted young people who'll work for far less and need less benefits...

Whether it's music, movies, etc, people are choosing streaming/non-"live" forms of entertainment b/c it's cheaper. Period. I really don't think that given the chance, people really want to sit on their duffs all the time rather than go out for a date, they're just as excited as everyone else for seeing in person, but they simply don't have the income and therefore no choice but to eschew whatever costs the most. I remember reading somewhere last yr that between a third and almost half of Americans have absolutely nothing saved for retirement. And how many live paycheck to paycheck? When it's not just u2 but other acts as well across such a large spectrum, something else is going on.

if the concert industry doesn't take into account a drastically shrinking-ok, let's call it out for what it is--a DYING middle class, and attempt to make amends, then it itself will continue to shrink along with it.

And if the stage design does indeed turn out to be something close to in the round, I will be more p**ssed at Guy O$eary then ever. How could you NOT be releasing that info. what better way to get people excited?!?!?

Ironically, the economic situation is better now than it was during the 360 tour. The 360 tour started in 2009 just after the financial collapse and unemployment surged to record highs by the time U2 played the Rose Bowl towards the end of 2009. But that didn't stop it from being U2's most successful tour ever, in terms of both gross and attendance.

Yes, there are more expensive tickets for this tour, but there are also tickets at lower price levels that are still available which is a surprise. So it does not appear that ticket price or economics has caused this decline in demand. It appears to be more to do with people's interest in U2. Some have said its because the album has had no significant airplay, and U2's last airplay hit is now 10 years in the past. Others have proposed the bucket list theory and that many people crossed U2 off their bucket list after seeing 360. Another theory is the aging of the fanbase with average age estimated by some to now be 45. Its not exactly clear, but unfortunately it appears that interest in U2 has taken a significant decline in the past four years.

I learned In music business school that most legacy acts charge large amounts of money for tickets based on their demographic. Guy O'Seary and Live Nation have done their research and have concluded that there is a market for people who are willing to spend $300 each for lower level tickets. These people are usually the ones who have grown up following the band, and as they got older their income increased. Emotional connection + expendable income = sales. That's why the stones charge what they do. And no, they aren't pricing themselves out of the market, based on what I just said. Ticket prices are usually a good indicator of the type of fans that particular group must cater to. For example: Nickelbacks ticket prices are reasonable, with the cheapest ticket starting at $25 going all the way to $90. Yes yes, let the jokes begin. But that's because their music caters mostly to a working class demographic. U2 GA tickets which will offer the closest spots are priced significantly cheaper because they are targeting a younger demographic who are more willing to stand on their feet in a crowd for hours on end.

It's screwed up, I know, because people who can't afford the $300 tickets are usually the biggest fans. But say what you want all of those $300 tickets will be gone by showtime and they're winning in the end.

Except you have artist like Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber charging more than many older veteran acts even though they have a much younger audience. By and large, its basic supply and demand which determines price. Otherwise, Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber would not be able to charge so much for tickets.

Where I live, most people usually don't shy away from paying 150 / 200 Euros for an event they really want to see, not only rock concerts but also cultural events. That explains why, despite everyone talking about the crisis, tickets for many events are usually hard to get, regardless of the pricing. Of course if you plan to go and see 10+ shows of the same band and maybe shows by other bands as well the same year things will get a little expensive, but that's not the experience I've made. Most people want to have a unique experience if they go to a show and that's what they're willing to pay for. We have the Eurovision in our city in May with all the pre-shows going on now, tickets are ridiculously expensive and you basically pay to go and hear mostly horrible music, still there are no tickets left for any of the shows.

And all the mourning about U2 tickets being too expensive and their shows not selling as well as they should doesn't help much for people like me who have been trying to get tickets for certain European shows for months now. I think it's U2 overplaying the US market that needs to be criticized here. Not playing more shows in the really strong markets like Spain or Italy is ridiculous.

I think maybe people "forgot" about U2 after not hearing any new songs for nearly 5 years, along with little to no fan engagement since 360 ended. The way they launched the album seemed to be an eye-rolling annoyance to most people too. Plus, no hit single and no social media presence.
Whatever, I was able to score GAs with ease to an arena show - something I thought was never possible ?

Headache, stop making sense.

(Am I talking to the poster above or to tomorrow's hangover? YOU DECIDE.)

Maybe U2's audience is old and young people don't want to see them? or Madonna? Or the Rolling Stones?

Last I checked these EDM festivals sell like fucking hot cakes. Coachella? Sure.

Aging rock stars? Not so much.

But if that was the case they wouldn't of sold as many tickets as they did for 360? After all they where still ageing rock stars back then?

Everything U2 did from 2000-2006, from ATYCLB - U218, Elevation-Vertigo, was done very well. From good business decisions, being the right age to draw off their middle aged fan base while still being able to appeal to young people. Iconic Super Bowl performance, iconic Apple commercial, Grammy wins, residual effects from 9/11.

Also, People love a good comeback story. You could say it all started with best of 80-90, it reminded people why they loved U2 in the first place. They strengthened their fan base, brought back old fans that had tuned out, brought in young new fans, appealed to the casual listeners, and did so in a non-offensive way. People were on their side.

Public perception has pulled a complete 180 from where it was 10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom