2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Band may be hitting a new sponsorship low...greed is good.

U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015 Powered by Salesforce -- SAN FRANCISCO, March 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

SAN FRANCISCO, March 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Salesforce (NYSE: CRM), the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM company, today announced that the U2 iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015 will be powered by Salesforce as part of a global sponsorship agreement.

ClintEastwoodEw.gif

in the Bay Area, Salesforce is more popular than Facebook and Twitter, fyi. You can hate corporate sponsorship, just know that it's not some old people's laxative manufacturer that's sponsoring this tour. SF is certainly more viable than Blackberry.

in the Bay Area, Salesforce is more popular than Facebook and Twitter, fyi. You can hate corporate sponsorship, just know that it's not some old people's laxative manufacturer that's sponsoring this tour. SF is certainly more viable than Blackberry.

salesforce is in no way related to facebook or twitter. one is for business growth, the others are for social networking.

On the plus side, if there is another band out there that wants to appear "relevant" in today's music market, U2 is doing them a huge favor and writing the handbook on exactly how not to promote an album and tour.

They need to hire George Costanza. Then do the opposite of every promotional instinct they have.

With the 6th London show, what are the chances more shows/cities are announced (probably wishful thinking on my part)? Or are we pretty much tapped out of new show announcements?

I think Denver II and some Dublin shows are all we can expect at this stage. Unless they break the 2 days on/2 days off pattern that defines the entire tour, there won't be a sixth show in LA. Demand clearly isn't there for a sixth Chicago show. The only gap remaining in the North American itinerary into which an extra city could slot is that between Montreal and Chicago, but there's never been any indication that would be filled. U2 have often scheduled mid-leg rests and I suspect that's what that gap is. In Europe, the only suitable gap is between Cologne and London; some of us have noted that there could be extra Cologne shows just by noting the tour's scheduling patterns, but I don't think there has ever been an actual rumour suggesting the band were ever considering that.

Of course they could add more European cities than just Dublin after Paris, but there have been no serious rumours. In a sensible world they'd throw in some more Italian shows!

This deal has Bono's hands (well, at least his right one) all over it.

The Salesforce people seem to be into the music though, they had Brandon Flowers play their shindig at the WEF in Davos in January.

I've accepted that U2 jumped the shark when it comes to corporate deals back in 2004, but at least they went with a product that was music driven and at least gave off the perception that it wasn't about the money by not being paid for the commercial (psst, here's a secret... it was about the money).

And the Blackberry thing on 360... alright fine. Another tech company, a few years too late. But whatever.

But this? This is them just not giving a shit anymore.

I get that corporate money is corporate money no matter where it comes from... but I would at least feel better if it were, say, iNnocence and eXperience brought to you by Guinness vs. a company that helps businesses with better lead generation.

I hope U2 at least got the Glengarry leads out of this deal. Those leads are fucking gold.

This deal has Bono's hands (well, at least his right one) all over it.

The Salesforce people seem to be into the music though, they had Brandon Flowers play their shindig at the WEF in Davos in January.

Also read somewhere that Metallica was performing for them recently and some years ago too... Apparently the top dog of salesforce was/is Kirks neighbor, maybe he is a really big fan of music

Maybe when they announce the 2nd Denver date they will say its the last date to be added to the tour.

How have the denver 1 sales gone?

Don't want to start any blasphemous rumours but I think U2's got a sick sense of humour :wink:

Especially when it comes down to asking +100's of bucks for a seated ticket.
And yet still having the audacity to get a sponsor as well.

Last tour I pictured they NEED sponsoring for the amazing Claws they build and the transport of the bloody things. Which must have cost a shitload of money..

But now? I can only imagine profit :shrug:

Don't bands usually justify corporate sponsorship as means to keep ticket prices down? Selling $300 nosebleeds and having a corporate sponsor is just pathetically greedy. At least the Apple ad was for a music device, and Blackberry is a tech company (as Headache already said). This is just...lame.

I'm guessing that they had the sponsor lined up before tickets went on sale but kept it secret so people wouldn't be on them for charging absurd amounts while having their tour paid for.

What is it?

It's the top CRM - Customer Relationship Management (aka database) platform today, at least in the U.S.

https://www.salesforce.com/
As someone who uses Salesforce, I'll try to make it clear as possible for those unfamiliar with CRM. It's basically software for salespeople on territories. I work in pharma, and we use Salesforce to track interactions between salespeople in the field and the doctors they are targeting on their territories. Salespeople record each visit they have with doctors (most companies that work with Salesforce have apps for tablet computers for doing this), and all of that data can be packaged into literally thousands of different reports on how your company's salespeople are doing in the field: product-based, location-based, etc.

It could not possibly have less to do with rock music.

Since when do sponsors have anything to do with what they're sponsoring? With many tour sponsors I don't really get the connection. I don't think many bands are choosing their sponsors based on the company's connection to their music. As for U2, seeing Bono being in bed with a lot of companies for his various campaigns, I'm not surprised by this choice.

It's not weird so much because it doesn't have to do with music as much as it has to do with the fact that it's not a consumer product. It's only marketing towards businesses; the layman has no use for CRM.

The music business is exactly what it sounds like.. a music business. At the end of the day, its all about making money. Artistry aside, that's what it boils down to. Sure, it sucks that they got a corporate sponsor that has nothing to do with music, and they're still charging $300 for lower level tickets, but that's what its all about. I wouldn't worry about it people. Yes U2 have released some of the most emotive and real forms of music of all time, but they are also one of the biggest bands of all time, and with that comes corporate sponsorship. And to be honest I'm not so much angry at the fact that the ticket prices are completely ridiculous even for upper levels, because there are a fair amount of very affordable tickets also, including the GAs. With that in mind, what kind of ticks me off is that this show is clearly being designed to better entertain the people within the centre of the arena paying the big bucks. That's the only reason as to why I could see them charging so much for all centre situated seats including the upper level ones. All seats that start falling off to the edges of the arena are significantly cheaper, and I think come showtime we will all see as to why that is. Something tells me that the best experience to be had on this tour will be within the centre situated seats.

Don't want to start any blasphemous rumours but I think U2's got a sick sense of humour :wink:

Especially when it comes down to asking +100's of bucks for a seated ticket.
And yet still having the audacity to get a sponsor as well.

Last tour I pictured they NEED sponsoring for the amazing Claws they build and the transport of the bloody things. Which must have cost a shitload of money..

But now? I can only imagine profit :shrug:

But there's a chance they are paying an orchestra this time around as well...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom