2011 Tour Rumours/Discussion Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the REAL problem is this:

No se podrn hacer ms recitales en el estadio Monumental de River - 26 Noticias

but they let Bon Jovi play there in October, and Macca in like 3 weeks

Not able to do more shows at the Monumental Stadium River

Jorge Linlaud engineer, who conducted environmental impact studies, confirmed that the vibrations during a performance are located 17 times above the maximum allowed. Justice reviewed the report and decided to ban concerts in the field.

"I did the analysis with appropriate equipment, properly certified and could corroborate what he says the local people," said the engineer told. "The vibrations are 17 times above the maximum permitted values," he added.

Linlaud stressed that the study was conducted during a show and when people started to jump, the buildings were vibrations. "There are two aspects to consider, which is maximum for individuals and up to the building, it is up to people," he said.

The vibration generated at these levels in people dizziness, vomiting and malaise. "That happens not only in the River area, is a phenomenon that is due to very watery and soft soil that allows the vibration of the rock musical time coincides with the frequency of vibration of the buildings," he said.

From the report, the Court ruled "that you can not do more recitals in the field of play." "We found that 3 or 4 were not bothering women is a serious problem," he said.

Finally, he remarked that similar situations were experienced in other stadiums in the world: "This is not exclusive River, in Colombia a part of a stadium fell and killed a person and there are many precedents like this," he said.

Google translate. :heart:

But that problem sounds familiar. It's the reason why U2 aren't playing in Rotterdam anymore(they played there for ZooTv and Popmart), the stadium is too old and during recent concerts there were cracks shown. So it'd be quite dangerous to have loud music events there.

do they actually sail it, or do they pack it up somewhere and use chartered air freight?

I thought we established in THE CLAW thread that they used ships between continents, but I can't remember for certain.

Air freight would be crazy fucking expensive. But, so is the notion of 3 massive steel spiders roaming the Earth for 3 years.

I thought we established in THE CLAW thread that they used ships between continents, but I can't remember for certain.

Air freight would be crazy fucking expensive. But, so is the notion of 3 massive steel spiders roaming the Earth for 3 years.

i wish i could remember what they did in 2006 for vertigo when everything arrived in march after a similar downtime after south america.

i can't imagine air freight down to here would be too expensive, given the distance to cover, and the other acts that do it. it's probably a question of time.

they did charter an entire passenger aircraft to fly from auckland to tokyo last tour instead of flying commercial, so who knows what they choose to down down here. i've been keeping an eye on the auckland airport website for any unusual cargo flights...

Pretty sure it's been shipping, yeah. The tour schedules would seem to indicate as much - the gaps between Europe and North America last year and (pre-postponement) this year fit in with how long shipping takes. I checked trans-Tasman shipping times, and Auckland to Brisbane fits very comfortably if they don't want to fly it.

Given how many container trucks are needed to take the stage between cities, I hate to think how expensive it would be to charter air freight for all of that. Probably just easier to whack it on one ship.

yeah, I guess the only artist who could have done a bigger Tour than U2 is MJ. If I remember well on that Bad Tour he played smth like 23 stadium dates only in Japan...

yes, 23 dates in Japan, a WHOLE leg was in Japan, 14 dates:

First Leg
Asia
1 September 12, 1987 Tokyo Japan Korakuen Stadium 45,000 (135.000)
2 September 13, 1987
3 September 14, 1987
4 September 19, 1987 Tokyo Hankyu Nishinomiya Stadium 48,000 (144.000)
5 September 20, 1987
6 September 21, 1987
7 September 25, 1987 Yokohama Yokohama Stadium 38,000 (190.000)
8 September 26, 1987
9 September 27, 1987
10 October 3, 1987
11 October 4, 1987
12 October 10, 1987 Osaka Osaka Stadium 32,000 (96.000)
13 October 11, 1987
14 October 12, 1987

then 9 the following year

Asia
110 December 9, 1988 Tokyo Japan Tokyo Dome 45,000 (405.000)
111 December 10, 1988
112 December 11, 1988
113 December 17, 1988
114 December 18, 1988
115 December 19, 1988
116 December 24, 1988
117 December 25, 1988
118 December 26, 1988

in total: 970.000 people, almost 1 million japanese watching the BAD WORLD TOUR...

amazing

now U2 ANNOUNCE THE DAMN SOUTHAMERICAN DATES :madwife:

All gigs currently being permitted at River Plate Stadium (like those Bon Jovi and Macca gigs) have a seated field. Apparently the vibration levels are acceptable with a seated field.

But obviously, U2 don't go for seated fields, so you see the problem here.

Bon Jovi didnt have seated fields. Sooo i dont see whats the problem with that stadium.....But i heard that the problem was also with Jovis playing there in October because of the same reason!

Really? That's not what I'd been told by a couple of people, but if that's the case, then that definitely changes things.

Incase of Argentina and whole South American tour they werent have seated field on the floor. But they have it in the whole North America Stadium tour couple of month back!

It probably affects the number of tickets they can sell for the field. I can't see 2000 seats fitting inside the 360 catwalk.

Oh stop being so logical!

They should provide those little camping tripod stools for everyone on the field. Standing for seven hours or so is terribly bad for the knees.

maybe the THIRD claw can go to Japan, then comeback to Hawaii BEFORE Mexico, while the other 2 go from South Africa to South America

They could do 2-3 shows at one venue is asia, likely the Tokyo Dome. Hve one CLAW do a solo trip.

Is demand strong enough for a full show in Hawaii. Not a final show, may not be in tourist season and won't have Pearl Jam/Rocco as opening acts.

Wouldn't they have to sell 30,000 more tickets that what they did before the 2006 postponement and before Pearl Jam got added? Plus that was the final date of the tour.

Yup.
I loved the Hawaii Vertigo show, but it would be a massive stretch to try to afford that again. I hope for Hawaii's sake and people who have budgeted their money differently than I have that they get a show.
I suppose I could cancel all of my other 2011 Leg plans and make Hawaii work, but Montreal is going to be EPIC!!! :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom