2011 MLB Thread - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impy, that's one of the best stories of this baseball season. The Scioscia is brilliant narrative needs to die.

Let's recap:

Vernon Wells 2011 season: 529PA, .218/.248/.412 for a replacement-level 0.3 WAR. Made $26 million this year, scheduled to receive $24.6 million per year through 2014.

Mike Napoli 2011 season: 432PA, .320/.414/.631 for 5.7 WAR. Made $5.8 million, still arbitration-eligible next year.

Good job, Mr. Reagins.

What's Jeff Mathis's handling-the-pitching-staff WAR?

Hey Bud Selig!?,do you still think we need to add more teams in the playoff? Hope last night events makes you and the owners think twice.

Can someone explain why the hatred for the Rays? I've kind of enjoyed watching them play in the last few years, seeing them become a really great team, but maybe I've missed something.

Because they don't have fans and they have an insult of a stadium.

I mean, they didn't even come close to selling out last night's game, WITH A PLAYOFF SPOT ON THE LINE.

speedracer said:
What's Jeff Mathis's handling-the-pitching-staff WAR?

Ha, that's even better. So, in total they got a - 0.7 WAR for the duo? Brilliant management.

So phillies rays in the worldseries.

And why in god's name was mike piazza a part of the marlins stadium closing ceremony?

He's actually takes a big part in the franchise here and if I recall correctly has a home here and is a fan.

I dunno why he was actually in the ceremony though... they announced all of these relevant players and amazing Marlins and then they announced 'although it was short lived, the greatest catcher of all time' or something along those lines. It really didn't make much sense.

Ha, that's even better. So, in total they got a - 0.7 WAR for the duo? Brilliant management.

On a related note, Josh Beckett's insistence on having Varitek catch for him is getting old. Only superstars like Greg Maddux and Tim Wakefield are allowed to have personal catchers.

Tampa would be a much bigger nightmare than Detroit. Do you remember the 2008 World Series? Almost all of the ratings came from Philly because no one gave a shit about the Rays.

This. Detroit averaged 13K more fans per home game even though the entire area is completely broke.

Tampa would be a much bigger nightmare than Detroit. Do you remember the 2008 World Series? Almost all of the ratings came from Philly because no one gave a shit about the Rays.

Yeah, I remember. I'm with you. I don't wanna see Tampa. Obviously, I want the Yankees in there, but having the Rays and their empty seats is not something I wish to see at the World Series. Shit, even Maddon hates their place. He prefers to play on the road. Their fans might be apathetic, but Joe Maddon is a good guy.

I wonder if the Rays will ever move. They really should. Move the Rays to Brooklyn! :)

I wonder if the Rays will ever move. They really should. Move the Rays to Brooklyn! :)

Anything is possible. If they moved to Brooklyn, they'd have to change their name. Brooklyn Rays just looks weird. If they get a new place in TB/St. Pete, they should be good there. It only took the Marlins 19 years to get their own stadium. How long could it take for the Rays to get a new one?

speedracer said:
On a related note, Josh Beckett's insistence on having Varitek catch for him is getting old. Only superstars like Greg Maddux and Tim Wakefield are allowed to have personal catchers.

You forgot AJ Burnett.

This seems like a strange decision from an otherwise very rational front office. Is it Francona's fault that the pitching staff collapsed or that Carl Crawford left his baseball skills with Desmond Jennings?

Yanks win title

Girardi to Chicago
Francona to NY
Torre to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom