2010 FIFA World Cup Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: Why so?

Isn't it that way with most teams? They're certainly improving either way. Glda to hear Elano's doing good! It sure looked painful!

oh, you know. not saint enough to be in heaven, not devilish enough to deserve to be sent to hell!

oh, you know. not saint enough to be in heaven, not devilish enough to deserve to be sent to hell!

:mac: But I can be devilish, if you want me to!

Villa was certainly man of the match for me. Pity he couldn't score the two big chances he had after the 2-0!

I'm very proud of Honduras. I hope it isn't another 28 yrs until their next qualification. Valiant effort in my eyes. They really had gigantic hurdles and considering their past world cup losses, losing 1-0 and 2-0 against these teams is nothing to be ashamed of.

Gran esfuerzo !!!

Orgullosamente centroamericana!

Apparently Zidane said something to the effect: "That action of Anelka's I found ridiculous, he better had used his head."
Read it only on some German news site. If that's true, it's such a cool quote coming from him. :D

Portugal was pretty impressive today, but considering how weak the North Koreans looked, plus some very big mistakes by them, it's still a long way for them.
Watched parts of the Switzerland - Chile game. Awful to watch due to the referee, and it soon made all the players go maniac. Very unfortunate.
Couldn't watch the Spain - Honduras match, but the result was pretty much what I expected. I'd still hope for Honduras to be a little more successful against the Swiss.

Apparently Zidane said something to the effect: "That action of Anelka's I found ridiculous, he better had used his head."
Read it only on some German news site. If that's true, it's such a cool quote coming from him. :D

:lol:

I too hope Honduras can score in their final match

x2_1b1d182

bring it on!!!

I live way too close to little Portugal :angry:
They're still driving around and honking their horns. Its pathetic, considering who they beat and at what point in the tournament

Given the performances of the African and Asian Nations over the last couple of world cup it's time FIFA re-looked at allocations imho.

2002 saw only 1 African team make it to the last 16, and Korea progressed only due to a run of homer refereeing decisions

The last WC had one African and Australia in the last 16, the rest S.American or European and an all S.American and European final 8.

Right now there is a very serious chance of no Asian, Antipodean or African nation making it to the last 16.

Russia, Sweden, Norway, Ireland, Croatia, Czech Republic, Belgium, Turkey, Israel would all have put up more of a fight than we've seen from many teams here.

Rant over.

"And yet so many European teams are also doing poorly."

We're not at last 16 yet, or last 8.

But right now it appears a higher % of European teams will make it than African/Asian/Antipodean, and it is primarily at THEIR expense that Europe has been losing spots.

That might very well be the case, but such a decision, one that would give even less of a chance to African and Asian countries to qualify, would greatly hinder any development of these countries. Also, they do bring a lot of excitement to the tournament in general, even though they might not be the strongest.
Further, it's a World Cup. It would be a bit boring, and also wrong, just to let European and South American countries, with the odd Australia, New Zealand or USA, qualify through a different system. Then one could even argue to just let the same teams play each other every four years. I also doubt these countries automatically mean more of a fight. Israel, Belgium or Norway would probably more play like Switzerland. It's unfortunate when some teams start to play very rudely as soon as the tide is turning, but they are also fighting.
I think it's important for football that also the weaker teams are present and are given a chance at the World Cup. In a few years, maybe those teams finally have developed to where they are able to meaningfully compete on that international level.

Yesterday I learned that there is no team that has tied in more games than Italy in the history of World Cups.

so exclude regions or reduce qualification spots of those regions because they haven't advanced? Then it would be even less of a world cup. Asian and African kids have the right to aspire to be better than their predecessors.
Non competitive countries get to participate at the olympics. I don't know. It would sadden me if a change like that occurred

:shrug:

:up: well said :)

That might very well be the case, but such a decision, one that would give even less of a chance to African and Asian countries to qualify, would greatly hinder any development of these countries. Also, they do bring a lot of excitement to the tournament in general, even though they might not be the strongest.
Further, it's a World Cup. It would be a bit boring, and also wrong, just to let European and South American countries, with the odd Australia, New Zealand or USA, qualify through a different system. Then one could even argue to just let the same teams play each other every four years. I also doubt these countries automatically mean more of a fight. Israel, Belgium or Norway would probably more play like Switzerland. It's unfortunate when some teams start to play very rudely as soon as the tide is turning, but they are also fighting.
I think it's important for football that also the weaker teams are present and are given a chance at the World Cup. In a few years, maybe those teams finally have developed to where they are able to meaningfully compete on that international level.

Yesterday I learned that there is no team that has tied in more games than Italy in the history of World Cups.

I guess I'm in a minority in wanting the world cup to actually feature the worlds best

At least the Euros are higher quality

Given the performances of the African and Asian Nations over the last couple of world cup it's time FIFA re-looked at allocations imho.

2002 saw only 1 African team make it to the last 16, and Korea progressed only due to a run of homer refereeing decisions

The last WC had one African and Australia in the last 16, the rest S.American or European and an all S.American and European final 8.

Right now there is a very serious chance of no Asian, Antipodean or African nation making it to the last 16.

Russia, Sweden, Norway, Ireland, Croatia, Czech Republic, Belgium, Turkey, Israel would all have put up more of a fight than we've seen from many teams here.

Rant over.

given what we've seen from the teams in oceania the last two world cups (australia making the round of 16 in 2006, new zealand still alive) maybe we should give oceania more than a half place in qualification?

nah, that wouldn't fit with dull, out of date euro-centric views.

given what we've seen from the teams in oceania the last two world cups (australia making the round of 16 in 2006, new zealand still alive) maybe we should give oceania more than a half place in qualification?

nah, that wouldn't fit with dull, out of date euro-centric views.

1 round of 16 finish, nothing else to date.

Yeah, more places !!!

:coocoo:

bore the competition to death - and if they don't end up bored to death, roll around in the grass and wait for the referees sympathy.

the rest of the footballing world has too much dignity :shh:

2 of the greatest games in world cup history

3-2 1982 vs Brazil
4-3 1970 vs. Germany

Best game of last world cup : Semi Final vs. Germany

I guess I'm in a minority in wanting the world cup to actually feature the worlds best

At least the Euros are higher quality

I understand what you're saying but the way you've said it sounds very eurocentric and a bit condescending towards the Asian, African and Oceanic teams who are still fine athletes. It's in the name, World Cup. It's about respect as well as being at one's best.

2 of the greatest games in world cup history

3-2 1982 vs Brazil
4-3 1970 vs. Germany

Best game of last world cup : Semi Final vs. Germany

it's a bit sad if you have to go back 28 years.

and if they are that exciting, it's obvious the talent is there....so why not drop the cowards game they usually play and win on merit more than once or twice a world cup?

I understand what you're saying but the way you've said it sounds very eurocentric and a bit condescending towards the Asian, African and Oceanic teams who are still fine athletes. It's in the name, World Cup. It's about respect as well as being at one's best.

he's saying there aren't enough teams from outside europe and south america making the knockout stages of the cup, so let's stack the draw to make it even hard for them to make it there.

brains need to be engaged.

I understand I'm not a huge soccer fan but if you took the 16 top ranked teams you would exclude Africa, Asia, Oceana, and likely North America. That will do nothing to improve the sport.

I know in the US part of the reason soccer is on the upswing is the fact the US is making the World Cup and is starting to competitive.

The best analogy I can come up with is March Madness. There are 64 teams but not necessarily the top 64. Do deserving teams get left out, yes but it makes for an exciting tournament. Also don't underestimate people's desire to have an underdog to root for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom