U2 rehearsals in Torino part VI: Full aug 3 update + aug 4 as it happens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are suggesting that somehow I am taking away all of the casual fan fun with my wishlist, well let me ask you a question.

Do you think that the casual U2 fan who was big into them in the 80s and 90s gets anything out of this show? The 80s songs were everywhere, and people actually bought real albums back then, so even the album tracks are well known.

I agree with everything you said but this point in particular. By simple probability much of the "casual audience" must have either, or likely in combination, a) been to a U2 show in the 80's and/or 90's, b) listened to whole U2 albums from the 80's and/or 90's or c) watched a U2 concert video or TV performance in the 80's and/or 90's. In all those possible exposures to non-singles they must have liked some of the songs that this forum claims none of the casual fans would know. To your point what do those casual fans from the 80's and 90's get from this show?

U2 was once a band who looked forward not backwards. Cutting the NLOTH songs and having so many ATCLYB songs makes it seem like its 2000 all over again. They should be proud of No Line and play some more songs from it.

*nods* I thought maybe, with UV coming back last year and HMTHKMKM making racket this year that U2 was trying to push those boundaries that they loved breaking in the 90s, but this setlist kinda broke my heart a bit.

However, I loved MW making an early appearance again ala ZooTv instead of it's old status as an encore (ala PopMart/Vertigo). And seeing HMTHKMKM getting brought back is just...:drool:

I say we get Bono some LED horns to match that jacket and see if we can't bring the 90s out for a spin!

U2 was once a band who looked forward not backwards. Cutting the NLOTH songs and having so many ATCLYB songs makes it seem like its 2000 all over again. They should be proud of No Line and play some more songs from it.

I am sure it is a matter of U2 looking backwards as much as the band having second thoughts about NLOTH.

But if you are touring to support your latest release, you should be playing more than 4 songs from it. Just saying. The other songs were featured on their tours (ATYCLB, HTDAAB,...). Bring some old 80s & 90s songs into the mix, even if you rotate them in & out. :shrug:

*happy sigh* I just realized everything's actually going to be just fine. My son is watching Nick JR, and they did a version of Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds"

Should've known. Adam always makes it right. :cute:
80.jpg

Oh, and fakebono's tweeting again. :lol:

Don't get me wrong I still love the band. U2 will always be my favorite no matter what. I just wasn't expecting them to drop a lot of the songs from NLOTH and open with BD. I will still be in Chicago in the ga screaming my head off for the 4 lads. Plus adding the songs is awesome! The opening jam is really amazing!

But if you are touring to support your latest release, you should be playing more than 4 songs from it. Just saying. The other songs were featured on their tours (ATYCLB, HTDAAB,...). Bring some old 80s & 90s songs into the mix, even if you rotate them in & out. :shrug:

I guess if you add the opening jam song and the rose song with the nloth songs that gives us 6 new songs. Not that bad. But I would like to see them drop 2 Atyclb songs and add 2 more NLOTH songs.

:up: to your last two posts.

There was a good point a little while ago about the whole "casual fan" / "greatest hits" thing that I really agreed with ... if only I'd hit the quote button back when I was reading it. :lol:

Something about that a lot of the songs we're sick of or "meh" about aren't necessarily big "greatest hits."

I think we'll all know a GREATEST HITS TOUR if and when it ever happens.

:up: to your last two posts.

There was a good point a little while ago about the whole "casual fan" / "greatest hits" thing that I really agreed with ... if only I'd hit the quote button back when I was reading it. :lol:

Something about that a lot of the songs we're sick of or "meh" about aren't necessarily big "greatest hits."

I think we'll all know a GREATEST HITS TOUR if and when it ever happens.

It may not be a greatest hits tour just yet. But I feel that they are playing it very safe.

Well, one of the ATYCLB songs being played is In a Little While, which isn't really a hit so I don't see a problem there.

They may be dropping some NLOTH songs, but they are playing new songs so that makes up for it. It's hardly turning into a "greatest hits tour."

It may not be a greatest hits tour just yet. But I feel that they are playing it very safe.

Yeah, but to be fair, that's not exactly new for recent U2.

I've kind of come to expect it from them. I keep having hope that they haven't given up on being daring now and again, but my expectations are usually pretty realistic. :)

I keep having hope that they haven't given up on being daring now and again, but my expectations are usually pretty realistic. :)

*nods* Amen. I love when they're daring and do something off the wall, like the wheel mic.

And I know I'm in the minority when it comes to my not liking ATYCLB, and a lot of my issues with that album stem from personal problems made worse by the "classic" U2 sound rather than the daring sounds of Zoo or Pop. So I usually keep it to myself. But when ATYCLB is favored over even the newest release? Then it starts to stink of greatest hits and my inner fangirl tends to lose her composure. :reject:

If they're going to favor ANYTHING, it should be Joshua Tree, hands down. My hubby said that a very neat approach for both diehards and just the casual fans who know JT best would be for U2 to play the entire JT album straight through as a show-ender/encore and then to close with 40. I'd go for that. Play a few songs from AB/NLOTH and maybe ATYCLB, then come out to the intro of Streets, and just launch right into the JT tracklisting after Streets. The audience would go crazy.

NLOTH has to be in the set. The band has to be crazy not to play this as I really think one of the better songs played live on this tour. Great energy and great song.

Wow, I'm typically not a setlist bitcher but I'm underwhelmed. Great that they added HMTMKMKM and the new song. But dropping Ultraviolet and No Line On The Horizon???? Two steps forward, two back. Dropping Breathe as an opener was a good move, but B. Day??? Then the one the tips it into the negative category for me (and I'm probably the minority on this), but Miss Sarajevo?? Yawn, done enough last tour and that was too much for me.

Looking forward to seeing the band as they are playing great and Bono sounds good. They have a fantastic stage set up, but the setlist is not a highlight for this tour unfortunately. I guess you can't have it all. They are still the greatest live band on the planet, so it is always great to get an oppurtunity to see them. Setlist wise though, on the whole, this is one of my least favorite tours. :shrug: So far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom