LP 13/Invisible: Please return, there's stuff to see!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or perhaps this album is taking so long, because they know it will be the last one and they want it to be a masterpiece. (where all 10/12 songs could be singles, no fillers).
Thing is though, you dont make a masterpiece. You make the best album you can and, if lucky enough, popular consensus will deem it such.

Also if they have issues with the past 2 albums, then duh take a look at the process (producer swapping & 11th hour fiddling) and maybe that's at the core of the problem. So to go down the same road again is stupid.

Either it's misdirection or it's just dumb.

I don't see any way around the idea that, when you have a Super Bowl commercial, you want it to fall within a month or so of the album's release.

Lovely typo, or small jab?

Ha! :lol:

I went back and fixed that post a few minutes ago actually since it was full of typos and I wanted to elaborate a bit more. But personally, I would love another Original Soundtracks-type record with "Eno's ambien shit"...stuff like "Fez" was the best part of the last album.

And switching producers has been their biggest problem lately. While production is a very important aspect of U2's sound, if the songs aren't there, nothing can fix that. And they really shouldn't be butting heads with people like Rick Rubin when it's U2's recording ways that truly are ass backwards. Hardly anybody else enters the studio without songs already written. Any producer will get annoyed when U2 sessions drag into month #4 and the band is still dicking around with sounds while Bono screams out some incomprehensible vocals to go along with the jam...

But yeah, switching producers takes away more time, but worse, it disrupts the flow of the album. HTDAAB has "Love and Peace or Else" from Eno/Lanois and "A Man And A Woman" from Jacknife Lee. In no logical universe should they be on the same album.

Either it's misdirection or it's just dumb.

Can we stop with the misdirection nonsense that's been going on around here for months? U2 are the last band on earth that's going to lie about when a new record is coming out, especially when the Super Bowl ad would showcase the fact that a new album is on the way. No way would they not mention an impending LP when the ad's viewership/people hearing about the free song download will likely total about 500 million sets of ears. If the ad doesn't explicitly state the release date for the new album, then there clearly is no new album.

The record is not finished and the band has only one new tune they are ready to release (aside from one that they finished outside of the album sessions for a recent movie). They will also likely be switching producers soon in order to tweak the nearly-finished songs or come up with some new material (and it's also a necessity due to Danger Mouse's upcoming schedule).

If I were a betting man, I'd say most of the songs for the next album are nearly there. The response from the few that have heard them has been overwhelmingly positive and they clearly figure they have like 10 songs practically in the bank based on what Larry or Adam said...so, it's really about creating a few new tunes and tweaking the ones that are left. But with this band's process, that still could mean six more months.

The record is not finished and the band has only one new tune they are ready to release (aside from one that they finished outside of the album sessions for a recent movie). They will also likely be switching producers soon in order to tweak the nearly-finished songs or come up with some new material (and it's also a necessity due to Danger Mouse's upcoming schedule).

You are likely right, however why spend the dollars required for a Super Bowl add over just one song? That really makes no sense.

So, by the time Fallon rolls around, that interview will be 5 and a half weeks old. Our hopes rest on seething firming in that time. Have they been working?

How can you tell anything from that to begin with? Its larry playing the drums for a sec and the crowd chanting some lyrics.

exactly - if it's a teaser, it is a really REALLY shite one

hopefully the song won't be though :D

You are likely right, however why spend the dollars required for a Super Bowl add over just one song? That really makes no sense.

Because it's always been a partnership plan where U2 and their label will pay nothing. Bank of America is doing it for the good publicity they'll receive from the charity donations while U2 themselves will receive practically no money from the single since virtually all the downloads will be free ones that lead to about $3 per track being donated to charity from Bank of America/Bill Gates, etc.

U2 wanted to use the opportunity to raise money for charity and promote a new album and I'm actually shocked they managed to convince somebody to spend $4 million to let them do that.

It is pretty disgusting though that Bank of America's donations for the track downloads is expected to top out at $1 million (while they've said they're pledging like $6 million to the cause in total)...I mean, that $4 million extra could have gone a lot further for the needy than some ad for U2 and an attempt at making Bank of America look better. It's like raising $50,000 for charity at a party that cost $75,000 to put on.

Have they been working?

They seem to be in Dublin now, so maybe.

In the last thread pictures of The Edge's rig were posted and someone posted :

If you happen to catch the BOA/RED U2 commercial during the Superbowl this sunday, you may catch a glimpse of this rig, as it was being used by The Edge (its a backup rig used for stuff like this)onstage...I have no pictures of it on the video set as it was super top secret...they took everybody's cell phones and placed a special sticker across the lens to block any photo taking...and they could tell if you took it off...and if you got caught, they threw you off the set...and yes, people were getting thrown out!The rig was in here for some updates before being sent to Dublin for rehearsals for the upcoming Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon premier

To be honest guys I am pretty disappointed that the album isn't finished. Does anyone think it will be released later than June? Surely they can't release it later than June but you never know with U2.

To be honest guys I am pretty disappointed that the album isn't finished. Does anyone think it will be released later than June? Surely they can't release it later than June but you never know with U2.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was released Oct.-Dec.

The Super Bowl thing doesn't fit with a band that's lost it's confidence, it's actually quite ballsy and brave. I just think someone needs to step on and say "enough is enough boys, just release the fucking thing!"

Bono also said, in one of the two articles, that in U2 a song isn't done until it's being sold online and in the shops.

And when he said Invisible was the first song done, it was "with a chuckle".

Who knows.

Again, they have to finish it within the next six weeks to make June at all given this band's usual promotional push (single at least a month before the album) and time needed to manufacture vinyl and limited deluxe editions. The fact that they aren't finished and are specifically planning on working with different producers makes me not surprised at all if we didn't see the album until Thanksgiving.

As for after Thanksgiving or 2015...that would really surprise me. Eventually, even U2 will likely figure the product is good enough and send it out there. Hence why I think the project just has a few more months needed (according to them) to fix it up a bit. Otherwise, they wouldn't have launched this Super Bowl campaign to promote the new album in the first place...

Again, they have to finish it within the next six weeks to make June at all given this band's usual promotional push (single at least a month before the album) and time needed to manufacture vinyl and limited deluxe editions. The fact that they aren't finished and are specifically planning on working with different producers makes me not surprised at all if we didn't see the album until Thanksgiving.

As for after Thanksgiving or 2015...that would really surprise me. Eventually, even U2 will likely figure the product is good enough and send it out there. Hence why I think the project just has a few more months needed (according to them) to fix it up a bit. Otherwise, they wouldn't have launched this Super Bowl campaign to promote the new album in the first place...

The article said they "might" bring some new people in. Hardly a definitive statement of intent.

Because it's always been a partnership plan where U2 and their label will pay nothing. Bank of America is doing it for the good publicity they'll receive from the charity donations while U2 themselves will receive practically no money from the single since virtually all the downloads will be free ones that lead to about $3 per track being donated to charity from Bank of America/Bill Gates, etc.

U2 wanted to use the opportunity to raise money for charity and promote a new album and I'm actually shocked they managed to convince somebody to spend $4 million to let them do that.

It is pretty disgusting though that Bank of America's donations for the track downloads is expected to top out at $1 million (while they've said they're pledging like $6 million to the cause in total)...I mean, that $4 million extra could have gone a lot further for the needy than some ad for U2 and an attempt at making Bank of America look better. It's like raising $50,000 for charity at a party that cost $75,000 to put on.

I thought BoA pledged $10 million.
Which probably is $8 million for a 60 sec ad during the Super Bowl.
$2 million donation to the Global Fund.

Is u2 paying for the costs of actually filming the ad?
If no, another $ from the total $ donation substracted.

Really makes you wonder how many cents on the dollar actually end up being spend on medicine that will end up in the hands of an African person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom