The Official 2007 AFL Season Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I can go to the grand final. :sigh:

I knew I should have become a member. But I thought I would just have to line up early hours and I'd be sweet. Apparently not.

Nah, I used to love the count more than the GF when I was an AFL fan. Used to love the night hardcore. Now it's just cheesy, and it's fucking stupid this year because the best and most reliable player in the league, Kirk, is ineligible for some reason.

Hoping Ablett or Bartel wins and Brown polls very poorly.

Bartel won the absolute shit out of it!! He won by seven votes!! Although he seemed very uncomfortable with the win.

But here was the big one - Simon Black finished second with 22 votes, he was leading until like Round 17, and he was rated a $101 chance, or $8.50 to finish top five!

Harvey was gone until he just ripped out five best on grounds in a row.

I watched the last bit of the Brownlows (for the frocks of course) and Bartel is a bit of a hottie :drool: Not bad for a bloke I've never heard of before last night. :wink:

eh brownlow i can leave .. snorefest.

i am so sick of this blue and white shit around my town :mad: every fuckin house, shop and car has some go cats crap on it .

:yuck: will be glad when its all over and in the bin by monday .

mysterious_jen said:
eh brownlow i can leave .. snorefest.

i am so sick of this blue and white shit around my town :mad: every fuckin house, shop and car has some go cats crap on it .

:yuck: will be glad when its all over and in the bin by monday .

It's better than in my town, where all I look at is grafitti. Is that the milk bar? No, it's just the needle exchange. :wink:

Anyone head down to the players' parade today? I only have a passing interest in the game (I far prefer "go the All Blacks"), but my girlfriend is American and we had nothing better to do, so I figured she can't live in Melbourne and not see the parade.

So we headed down and were amused at the expense of the rest of you. :wink:

I was surprised at how much it felt like a Geelong rally. Given the hostility I've often seen Melburnians show towards the Cats, I was wondering if some people might go for Port out of spite, but I'm gathering the lack of a Victorian premier for years means people here will support any team from the state.

As for me? I passionately hate a few teams (looking at you, Carlton, Collingwood, Sydney, Fremantle), but I haven't found anyone to support as passionately. Tomorrow I'll be going for the Cats simply because they used to be the Pivotonians. What a fucking great team nickname. They should've kept it.

Pivotonians from Geelong being the "pivot" of Victoria, i.e. the place upon which the state turns (which I think was a reference to its port and transport links).

Axver said:

I was surprised at how much it felt like a Geelong rally. Given the hostility I've often seen Melburnians show towards the Cats, I was wondering if some people might go for Port out of spite, but I'm gathering the lack of a Victorian premier for years means people here will support

It's all quiet pathetic if you ask me, all this us vs them mentality when it comes to supporting Victorian clubs against interstate clubs, though it's something that is driven primarily by the media.

If Victorians were so protective of their football heritage and if states really did mean something to AFL fans, they wouldn't have wholehartedly rejected State Of Origin 10 years ago.

If the Victorian anti-interstate-club movement knew anything about what it is to be passionate and one-eyed about your own club and what it was to really detest your rivals, they would support anyone playing against a Victorian club. If you can't be top of the league, then at least be top of your region. They should take a leaf out of European football, where Aston Villa fans don't support Brimingham City because they are from the same region, but fiercly support against them, and put their weight behind whoever is playing against them. For Carlton fans to say, "oh, i'm supporting Collingwood because they are Victorian", it renders any idea of a proper rivalry between the two clubs meaningless. I tire at the petty half-arsed passion of these AFL barrackers.

Bring back State Of Origin....

Anyway my tip for the flag, Port Power by 19 points. Geelong will crumble, which is a shame cause they are one of only 4 Victorian clubs I respect and they've been dominant all year, but we'll see another result ala Adelaide v St Kilda in '97.

I'm just glad Collingscum didn't make the Grannie.

intedomine said:
If the Victorian anti-interstate-club movement knew anything about what it is to be passionate and one-eyed about your own club and what it was to really detest your rivals, they would support anyone playing against a Victorian club. If you can't be top of the league, then at least be top of your region. They should take a leaf out of European football, where Aston Villa fans don't support Brimingham City because they are from the same region, but fiercly support against them, and put their weight behind whoever is playing against them. For Carlton fans to say, "oh, i'm supporting Collingwood because they are Victorian", it renders any idea of a proper rivalry between the two clubs meaningless. I tire at the petty half-arsed passion of these AFL barrackers.

Damn straight. I'm a Wellingtonian, and as a Wellingtonian, I will support anybody playing Auckland. I do not support the Warriors in league and I consider their name change to "New Zealand Warriors" to be complete bullshit. I did not support the "New Zealand" Kingz/Knights in the soccer (more of that Auckland team calling itself NZ bullshit) - hooray for the Wellington Phoenix. The Super 14 rugby hierarchy is a bit more difficult, but I either 1. support whoever's playing the Auckland Blues or 2. consider myself neutral and want both teams to somehow lose at the same time.

It's called having an arch-rival, people!

Bring back State Of Origin....

Frankly, I've never understood why there isn't a full-blown interstate tournament. VIC, SA, WA, and TAS could all field sides, and I'm sure you could cobble together an "East Coast" (QLD/NSW) side too. I've never been able to take the pre-season series seriously, so I say chuck it out and bring in a quickfire interstate series.

Last edited:
Hey, Port, what the fuck? No, seriously, what the fuck? Was that your Under 15s or something?

That proved to be a gigantic bloody mismatch. COBL_04, you still alive there or has your heart exploded from sheer joy?

Shit, was Port really the second best team this season? I truly wish the Eagles hadn't had so many problems over the season, not just for my sake but for the sake of a closer Grand Final... even if it was just say 90 points closer.

Good work Cats, well deserved and truly a telltale performance for this year.

Well, I suppose all the brokenhearted Port fans can take comfort from the fact they led 2-1 right at the start!

cinnaminson said:
Where is COBL???

I expect him to show up around 4pm tomorrow with a huge fucking hangover from too much celebrating.

What an anti-climax. I missed the game cause of work, but for any neutrals, and I know there would be plenty out there for this match up, what a let down of a "contest" after the two classics of the past two years.

Bring back the Sydney-West Coast Grand Finals..

Hell yeah. Let's hope either the Catters have a hangover or both/either the Swans and Eagles manage to get to their standard in '08.

Hawks, Port, North and any others: improve ffs.

People have been going on about how supposedly even the season's been throughout the year, but in all honesty : nobody's surprised about the Grand Final result.

Back
Top Bottom