Your partner and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
here's a thread for stories, anecdotes, bad jokes, whatever involving your partner. do they like them too? or do they hate them to the point where it's a STRAIN on a relationship when you slot your 90's B-sides compilation tape into the car radio?!

thread inspired by the following disaster...I was listening to ATYCLB the other week, my girlfriend walks in during Peace On Earth and says "oh is this Robbie Williams??"
:doh:

right, someone else

I wouldn't say my wife hates U2, but it's just not her cup of tea. Luckily, I'm not nearly as obsessed with them as I once was. I've discovered a ton of other bands that I'm really into in the last 10 years, so she's hasn't really witnessed an unhealthy phase, lol.

My beautifull and loving wife of 8 years (we've been together 18) pulled a classic bait and switch on me. She pretended to like them while we were daiting and waited until we were good and commited before dropping the bombshell that she doesn't like them very much and thinks all their music sounds the same. :tsk:

If I didn't love her so much I would have kicked her ass to the curb.

thread inspired by the following disaster...I was listening to ATYCLB the other week, my girlfriend walks in during Peace On Earth and says "oh is this Robbie Williams??"
:doh:

LOL! Maybe cos it's a lightweight tune... still don't see Robbie Williams in it though.

My beautifull and loving wife of 8 years (we've been together 18) pulled a classic bait and switch on me. She pretended to like them while we were daiting and waited until we were good and commited before dropping the bombshell that she doesn't like them very much and thinks all their music sounds the same. :tsk:

If I didn't love her so much I would have kicked her ass to the curb.

Hahahaha damn man!

I wouldn't say my wife hates U2, but it's just not her cup of tea. Luckily, I'm not nearly as obsessed with them as I once was.

More or less same here. My wife definitely does not hate them. In fact, she came with me to a 360 tour show. :heart: But in general she is not that much into music like I am. So she is kind of indifferent to my musical tastes, really. And it surely helps that I'm not as crazy a fan anymore. lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. It's funny because my wife would probably prefer that I listen to U2 when we're in the car.

I tried the new Deerhunter album on her recently and that didn't go well. And don't even get me started on her hate for Radiohead. :sad: :angry:

My wife likes them in small doses. She doesn't mind if I put on a U2 album in the car once in awhile. She's been with me to see them in east Lansing 2011 and says it was a top 5 show for her. She knows they're my favorite band but doesn't know the full extent of what that entails.

My husband plays acoustic guitar. I met him when I was a HUGE Dave Matthews fan, and he played Crash Into Me for me. Eventually I lost interest in Dave and music in general. When I got into U2, he really supported it- as a musician himself, he always says he has to respect all musicians. He doesn't mind at all when I listen to them in the car, etc, and even watches concert videos with me once in a while (although he tends to fall asleep). He's also really intrigued by their story- he loves that fact they they all grew up together and stayed a band for so long through thick and thin. Now he's actually reading U2 by U2 to know more about their story. Sometimes he'll call me from the road and tell me to turn on the radio, there's a U2 song on :) I don't think he would have gotten into them without me, but he's really open to listening to them anytime. Another benefit is that since getting into U2, I've also been really turned on to a lot of other bands, so we've been going to more concerts than ever before, which he loves. I'm a lucky girl :cute:

my husband/partner/boyfriend/whatever politely tolerates them, and even enjoys some of their songs from time to time. he's been with me to 3 different shows, and enjoyed all 3, although we both nearly died of heatstroke at the Baltimore 360 show.

My wife is a slightly more than casual fan. She's been to a handful of their shows and knows most of their stuff. She does like to tease me for being a moderator on an online fan site, though.

My wife is a slightly more than casual fan. She's been to a handful of their shows and knows most of their stuff. She does like to tease me for being a moderator on an online fan site, though.

And interesting question: how many significant others know about Interference?

I converted my girlfriend from an extremely casual fan to a big fan back when we were in high school and just best friends. Luckily, she is perfectly cool with my hardcore fan-ness and agrees with me that U2 should play Mofo again or Acrobat for the first time.

Her favorite song though is Please, which we would both love to hear live some day.

She does know about Interference to the point where she can even reference some of our in-jokes when talking about U2. :lol:

I am extraordinarily lucky because my fiancée Linda was a fan before we began dating 3 years ago and has since really embraced their deep cuts. Get this- she LOVES Discotheque!! I thought she'd hate it. Her other favs are Love Is Blindness, All I Want Is You, Trip Through Your Wires & Two Hearts Beat As One. 3 years ago she only knew AIWIY from that group. What converted her to hardcore fandom was her first live show Chicago July 5 2011 - my 9th show. We were in the GA line all day, talked with a bunch of great fans and the kicker -she got EBTTRT, The Fly, Out of Control & One Tree Hill, lucky girl for her first gig.

Based on her good luck, I'm marrying her just on principal alone that she brought good setlist karma :wink:

I won't listen to them until Bono pays back what he owes the Irish government and then uses whatever he has leftover to save Africa three times.

Mine knows only ATYCLB, with Suck in a Moment being the favourite song.

Yeah. I can't believe we're still together either. :coocoo:

eezMy wife has seen and enjoys U2....She owns their albums...but does not love them to the extent that I do. One time, we waited in GA in Toronto at the ACC which is right near the underpass of the Gardiner expressway and next to the Lakeshore. We were dating at that time and I wanted to impress her by bringing her to a show so she could see the band up close. Being outside near that kinda noise pollution and tire noise was not something she could quite "handle" all day. Then there was the standing....and the mad rush to get inside...then more standing..... and then the show.... It pretty much exhausted her.

We got close to the band and then got in the car to head home after the show. Upon closing the car door, she started to bawl. I thought... wow...< I thought> she's emotional for being so close to the band for the Vertigo tour.... Bono must have really touched her spirit.

Well... was I wrong.

She was plain old EXHAUSTED and was in complete disarray.....and someone irritated with how the day went. She burst into more tears sobbing how she has no idea how I can do this show after show after show.

(you should have seen my face)

Luckily, it took an incredible warm day in North Carolina in GA to change her mind about doing GA for a tour.

eezMy wife has seen and enjoys U2....

Your wife is a trooper..that was an incredibly exhausting day...and we've put her thru a few other exhausting experiences for U2, too! ;)

You'll recall it took a trip to Miami for mine to get involved haha! I doubt she'll go again, it was like a bucket list item for her to cross off: saw them, thought they were one of the best live shows she's ever seen...but that's about it.

Doesn't really bother me tbh Im kindof an independent kinda guy anyways.

Mr. Blu's pretty indifferent about all music, but one of the first things he learned about me when we met (in 1987!! :ohmy:) was that I was a music fanatic & had a thing for U2 in particular. So he was at least partly prepared for how I'd lose my shit whenever the band toured. ;) He never attended a show with me, though, until I scored some seats at MSG in 2006. Two weeks later, we attended what was the first GA for either of us at Charlotte. Met some amazing folks there who really took us noobs under their wings & provided an excellent GA primer. Mr. Blu doesn't do well in crowds, so I wasn't sure how things were going to turn out but he ended up having an outstanding time. So much so, that of the six shows we saw on the 360 tour, five of them were GAs - in other states, no less! He's still not near the fanatic that I am, but he definitely supports my interest & even counts U2 live shows amongst some of his favorite activities now. :rockon: :up:

...he definitely supports my interest & even counts U2 live shows amongst some of his favorite activities now. :rockon: :up:

Wow... I thought Mr. Blue was totally signed, sealed, and delivered when it came to U2. He sure fooled me :) Glad the two of you go to shows together!

My partner is always slagging U2, but to be fair thats because I slag off snowpatrol and mumford and sons for being boring! She just keeps saying all U2 songs sound the same, hate it when people say that!

Wow... I thought Mr. Blue was totally signed, sealed, and delivered when it came to U2. He sure fooled me :) Glad the two of you go to shows together!

He likes to pretend that I'm the only fanatic in the house, so I tend to play along... :shifty: :wink:

My wife likes U2 but does not love them. She is mainly into the "hits" and enjoys going to a show per tour. She is more into Coldplay. I feel the same about Coldplay, I think they are alright and I can see a show per tour but that is it. So we kind of have that mutual understanding. She is not all that into live music either. Which is where we really differ as I typically prefer live recordings and versions versus the studio versions. She did see my list of U2 live recordings one time (which is classified documentation :wink: ) and she did not get why I had so many. I just told her it is one of my hobbies. :shrug:

She is not all that into live music either. Which is where we really differ as I typically prefer live recordings and versions versus the studio versions. She did see my list of U2 live recordings one time (which is classified documentation :wink: ) and she did not get why I had so many. I just told her it is one of my hobbies. :shrug:

I think there's a lot of people out there that don't get why we have so much of it!

She is more into Coldplay.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-1949-1365112423-7.gif

My partner is always slagging U2, but to be fair thats because I slag off snowpatrol and mumford and sons for being boring! She just keeps saying all U2 songs sound the same, hate it when people say that!

argh snow patrol and mumford and sons ARE boring!

Back
Top Bottom