Kygo Should Produce the Next U2 Album and Tour With Them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's difficult to describe what musical direction we might want U2 to go for without hearing it. Experimental and Electronic are labels that don't mean much without any other info. I will second the DM comments, I wish they'd followed through and done a full album without a hodgepodge of producers.

Good point. I'm hoping for a huge departure after SOE (granted, I haven't even heard it yet). I think they would be best served by that departure being electronic, again. It would have to be with some type of twist, though, since they've already done that.

They've been too bland / masses pleasing, for my tastes, since 2000. Not sure how else to say it.

I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment if hoping for a huge departure. U2 has had a couple of big departure, that's rare, most bands are lucky if they have and survive one.

It would almost be weird to end your career in a huge departure. My hope is they will turn a little more introspective, write without the "radio" in mind and I think Little Things is a good direction.

P.S. I'm not a huge Coldplay fan. It's too much like U2 which I get plenty of ;]. With that said, the older I get the less I care about what's cool. I'm a sucker for a great song and Sky Full Of Stars, IMO, is most certainly that. The music is exceptional, it gets airplay, and it's a ton of fun. Plus the drummer is going for it. Anything else is just talking.

I don't hate Coldplay any more than the next gender neutral poster here but that song is terrible.

if they were gong to turn to a new phase for whatever happens after SOE, I'd be on board with something along the lines of what they did for the Neon Lights cover.

I hope U2 do a full album about smashing the gender binary

redhill, you know what happened to Linkin Park when they incorporated lots of EDM? i know U2 and Linkin Park and U2 are different band from different era but they both crave relevance.

Love your passion for this idea red hill, you do put forward a good arguement even though I totally disagree with you

I think the fact you like coldplays new stuff and I hate it (loved there old stuff)shows that we're clearly on different pages.

I think Coldplay are probably at the atyclb point we're there not young but can still get away with being cool to the kids. Abit like u2 in 2000. I was in my last year at school and a lot of people liked u2 at school. Thing is u2 have aged 17 years since then and for me it doesn't matter what they do they will never be "the" band again. To me and you and all the other u2 fans they will be but not to mainstream music

Springsteen, at an older age than U2 is now, released Wrecking Ball - which Incorporated loops, celtic themes and even a little hip hop, and managed to do so without it sounding desperate and out of touch. He was able to experiment and sound fresh without sounding like he was selling out for the kids. The kids didn't buy it, and he didn't give a crap. The record was well received critically and it sounded great live.

And if anything, Bruce not giving a turkey about cow towing to any demographic has kept his stature as an icon, and possibly raised it with everyone not named U2Girl ([emoji90]).

This is the phase I want U2 to enter into - the "yea, we're old now, but we're still pretty bad ass, not afraid to step out of our comfort zone here and there, and oh btw our career shits all over 99% of those who are hip and cool with the kids so who gives a crap about that" stage, and leave behind the "we're still trying for a top 40 hit and end up looking lame and out of touch because of it" stage.

So EDM? Nah. A remix? Cool. A full album? Fuck no.

I'd like to see them explore creating musical landscapes again and not care about being so tight and pop song like. I know that's not advancing their sound, but it's what they do best and better than anyone else. I also wouldn't mind seeing them explore their Irish roots a little more... not saying they need to write folk songs, but something along the lines of In The Name Of The Father.

Stop trying to be cool and they'll be cool again. Keep trying to be cool and they'll destroy their legacy.

I think the problem with the idea here is the ALL IN aspect of it.

Kygo, producing the album and then touring with them?!?!

Ok, I'm all for stepping out and doing something different. Shaking things up. But this just isn't the way.
I'll agree, having a producer in the mix that might bring some cool, modern, Electronic elements to some songs would be fine with me.
Have them come and guest on one or two songs at some live shows...
But not a whole album of full on electronic dance stuff. And certainly not a fixture on stage during a tour. nope.

They need to get into some good rock, atmospheres that only they can create and then maybe supplement with electronic touches.

Part of the POP's amazingness is it's darkness. Same for AB and Zooropa.
A guy like Kygo is all kinda light and bright and, bleh to me.
That's just gonna be fluffiness that's going to water down and lighten up U2's material. DangerMouse, and now Andy Barlow are much more likely to let U2 stay a bit dark and dirty with the electronics. That is what works for them, at least IMO.

Last edited:
If only U2 took more cues from Bowie and just did whatever the hell they wanted creatively, without regard to how it would be perceived.

on top of that, EDM is kinda dead now. there's no point in pursuing a dead movement. it's like starting vaporwave project in 2017

After SOE I'd like to see this super team

U2
Danny Lanios on rhythm guitar and vocals
Brian Eno on keyboards
Howie B on mixing deck

Produced by Danny/Brian and Flood

I love the dynamic that Danny/Brian bring to U2. Howie B would be there to inspire the band to play off of whatever mixes he has dialed up. I also adore Pop, and while the production wasn't amazing, the sounds and rhythms the band came up with were amazing. Especially when the songs went into the live setting (which is where I think Danny and Brian can help transform them when ready to lay down on record).

Flood has been a part of U2's best albums. Get him back

Last edited:
If only U2 took more cues from Bowie and just did whatever the hell they wanted creatively, without regard to how it would be perceived.

but even David has to go thru some period where he wanted hits and stay cool with kids. like, i am starting to think it's somewhat inevitable for aging groups to follow relevance some times. sure i don't like this. however if this kind of pursuit in relevance eventually makes them create music that they really want then i don't think this is a bad phase.

like, i surely want U2 to team up with more experimental, sonic geniuses, like Brian Eno or bunch of Eno followers that I really like (Andy Barlow is kinda....like that) but if U2 isn't up for it, then whatever.

but even David has to go thru some period where he wanted hits and stay cool with kids. like, i am starting to think it's somewhat inevitable for aging groups to follow relevance some times. sure i don't like this. however if this kind of pursuit in relevance eventually makes them create music that they really want then i don't think this is a bad phase.

like, i surely want U2 to team up with more experimental, sonic geniuses, like Brian Eno or bunch of Eno followers that I really like (Andy Barlow is kinda....like that) but if U2 isn't up for it, then whatever.
I think (and hope) that this JT tour and seeing the overwhelmingly positive reaction to it will be a step in the right direction for them.

I actually think SOI started as a step in the right direction... being introspective, writing about their past, acknowledging they're getting old... but then the ego kicked in and they just had to push the album to the whole fucking world and it was all for naught.

Alas, time will tell. We'll see what they do with the launch of SOE and decide from there if they learned their lesson or not.

Right, U2 is in the right direction, they're writing from a perspective that's somewhat unique to aging rockstars. at least they're acknowledging that they're old and possibly past the commercial/(creative?) prime. they are not the "hottest" band like they were in the 80s.

collaborating younger people is fine, but i don't think Kygo can quite bring that introspective things from U2. his music is sunny (not that it's bad) and not that deep. if U2 wants to collaborate with others, choose someone who has respect toward these old artists and are capable of doing amazing things, like Eno did in the 80s and 90s. I'm not saying U2 needs another Brian Eno but they definitely need someone who's as capable of Brian.

I might have gotten a little overzealous with the concept but I do think they need to shift gears. Enjoyed reading these thoughts.

After SOE I'd like to see this super team

U2
Danny Lanios on rhythm guitar and vocals
Brian Eno on keyboards
Howie B on mixing deck

Produced by Danny/Brian and Flood

I love the dynamic that Danny/Brian bring to U2. Howie B would be there to inspire the band to play off of whatever mixes he has dialed up. I also adore Pop, and while the production wasn't amazing, the sounds and rhythms the band came up with were amazing. Especially when the songs went into the live setting (which is where I think Danny and Brian can help transform them when ready to lay down on record).

Flood has been a part of U2's best albums. Get him back

They can incorporate electronic elements well if they want. We saw it with POP and Zooropa, but they could do it in an even more subtle, and now more up to date fashion and still not look like they are "trying to be cool"
I think if they do it in a good quality rock song, or an atmospheric song, it could work really well.
I just don't want it to ever look like they are taking a page from Coldplay's book, because Coldplay is looked at as U2-lite and to have that be flipped on it's head would be disastrous for them.

I suppose it's a combination of age, and the fact that Chris Martin isn't running around the world talking to politicians that has kept him from taking as much shit as Bono.

Cause otherwise how does Coldplay not get made fun of for the shit they've turned into?

I just don't want it to ever look like they are taking a page from Coldplay's book, because Coldplay is looked at as U2-lite and to have that be flipped on it's head would be disastrous for them.

Agreed. For the record, I'm not a Coldplay fan but have liked a few of their songs...Sky Full...is catchy and it's one song (out of very few on the radio these days) where I can understand it's popularity.

I suppose it's a combination of age, and the fact that Chris Martin isn't running around the world talking to politicians that has kept him from taking as much shit as Bono.

Cause otherwise how does Coldplay not get made fun of for the shit they've turned into?

He should start talking to politicians. Their music is already suffering so they might as well bring out the rock throwers.

Back
Top Bottom