Zack, prisoner at "ex-gay" camp, to come home this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheBrush said:
alot of kids kill themselves. Not just gay kids. Suicide is very rapent among our youth. I dont believe every kid who was gay that committed suicide did it because he/she was gay. :rolleyes:

I think you're right to an extent - many gay teenagers who commit suicide may have had a number of reasons for doing so, suffering from mental illness, bereavement or family problems being just a few possibilities.

However, I also think that gay teenagers have an additional problem which straight teenagers don't experience - they may experience homophobic bullying at school, their parents may reject them because of their sexuality, they may be too afraid to be honest about their sexuality and so spend their whole life trying to hide it. All of those factors could contribute to suicide, so while I agree with you that not every gay person who commits suicide has done so because of their sexuality and the consequences of it, it would be wrong to assume this isn't a factor in many cases.

this reminds me of the time my best friend told me he used to be gay. a year later he killed himself.

i hope that program gets shut down.

Irvine511 said:

wow.

you don't know anything about this, do you?

p.s. -- "alot" is not a word

Wow. correcting my grammar. You really showed me. Its a web forum.

What i said was a true statement. You think the only kids who get bullied are the gays ones. Kids who are fat or dont have the "in" look get beat up and harassed too.

Also, gays are more accepted now than ever. I'm not saying everyone accepts them cause your article shows this. However, people have become very tolerant of this choice of lifestyle.

I love the fact that you are judging me and that could have very well been the first one of my posts you have ever read.

This reminds me of my friend who had the bad luck to be raised Mormon, and is gay. He tried to kill himself for years by picking up strangers off the streets and taking them home, doing any drug he could to excess. When I talked to him about it, he said, "My family hates me and I'm going to Hell." I always connected the two. Thank God he finally met a great guy and settled down. Just another reason to think religions suck.

dazzlingamy said:
i just think it will be really nice for the girl that hooks this "straight" guy after he is brainwashed into straighthood.

Hello 10 years down the track when Mrs Zach walks in to find zach in bed with ben.

This won't just affect his life.

lol, yeah. you probably don't want to get me started on that one.

but you're right. you're absolutely right.

if my ex-husband's family had just let him be who he was when he was in high school, my life would be very, very different right now.

martha said:

You might want to look further into this before you roll your eyes.

I dont think i need to look further into it. im sure many kids who were gay committed suicide because they were gay. But all of them. Look how many straight kids kill themselves. They are other problems in the world that frustrate our youth.

Like people who need to trumph themselves up by correcting other people on stupid shit that doesnt matter......

like grammar:wink:

martha said:

Trust me, you do.

Your posts indicate that you're just talking here, that you really don't have any facts about the subject.

How can you have facts on that. Seriously. Everykid who has killed himself didnt do it for the same reason.

You know you have tore my down before and I think you are standing on previous posts.

what facts do I need. It is very high on cause of death list in americas youth(like 3rd). Most kids kill themselves because of pressure. Pressure to succeed, pressure to fit in. Yes, if someone is gay they could feel they dont fit in or belong. You act like im a bad guy here. I think the article was worth posting and its terrible some parents dont accept there childern for who they are. But these people are not a majority.

Tell me the acceptance of gays has not increased. There was a time when people would not even talk about gayness. Now we have INFINITELY many gay shows and gays on TV. Forrmer sports players coming out of the closet.

I wasnt inferring that the public completeky accepts gays yet. But there is progress. I just believe society gets a bad wrap and was trying to state that some change had occured.

no one else ihothrowing statistics around. I dont feel i should either. I was just throwing my opinion in here. Sorry you dont agree with it.

Way to leave out the facts in the middle of the post. :wink:

All theBrush said is that when gay teenagers commit suicide it isn't always because they're gay

I don't see what's so objectionable about saying that.

financeguy said:
All theBrush said is that when gay teenagers commit suicide it isn't always because they're gay

I don't see what's so objectionable about saying that.

Exactly, I really can't see why people are suddenly jumping all over him/her.

TheBrush said:
You think the only kids who get bullied are the gays ones. Kids who are fat or dont have the "in" look get beat up and harassed too.

um, have i ever, anywhere, said that "only gay kids get bullied"?

no.

do gay kids kill themselves at much higher rates than other kids -- fat, ugly, smart, whatever?

without question.

Irvine511 said:

um, have i ever, anywhere, said that "only gay kids get bullied"?

no.

do gay kids kill themselves at much higher rates than other kids -- fat, ugly, smart, whatever?

without question.

it just seems that since every one of your threads is about the gay community(9out of 10) that i assumed with your demeanor about my replies that assume gays are the only one with problems. they are not.

TheBrush said:
no one else ihothrowing statistics around. I dont feel i should either. I was just throwing my opinion in here. Sorry you dont agree with it.

Way to leave out the facts in the middle of the post. :wink:

There. I left your post intact. :rolleyes:

Your opinion may be yours, but just because you think it, doesn't make it true.

can't believe in the world there are relly places like this one.
I live in Italy, and I heard about this story a few days ago in a free newspaper. I couldn't believe my eyes!
How can a place like this exist?
What about freedom of express oneself?
What about the freedom of having a consensual relation with a person of your own sex?
I'm scared when I read things like this... I just can't help thinking how the people confined there will be when they come out, brainwashed or something like that.
Awful!!!

TheBrush said:

it just seems that since every one of your threads is about the gay community(9out of 10) that i assumed with your demeanor about my replies that assume gays are the only one with problems. they are not.

i'm sorry for starting threads that are of concern and importance to me, as well as to the political agenda of the GOP. gay issues are currently "hot" topics, and if you don't want to read about them, then don't read the threads.

however, if you'll look around, you'll see that i post and start threads on a wide variety of topics and have been doing so since i started posting in here. people can accuse me of many things, but one thing that i don't think i can be accused of is seeing a very simple reality -- i.e., "gays are the only ones with problems."

Irvine511 said:

i'm sorry for starting threads that are of concern and importance to me, as well as to the political agenda of the GOP. gay issues are currently "hot" topics, and if you don't want to read about them, then don't read the threads.

however, if you'll look around, you'll see that i post and start threads on a wide variety of topics and have been doing so since i started posting in here. people can accuse me of many things, but one thing that i don't think i can be accused of is seeing a very simple reality -- i.e., "gays are the only ones with problems."

OK, you may write about whatever you wish. And you may even be an asshole to me like you were earlier thats cool. Thats what makes FYM a great place.

lady luck said:
What about freedom of express oneself?
What about the freedom of having a consensual relation with a person of your own sex?

That doesn't mean anything to the people who run these kinds of places. They're too concerned with butting their noses into a part of people's lives that should be nobody else's beeswax to begin with.

Originally posted by lady luck
Awful!!!

Indeed. Like you said, it's quite scary that there are places like this around.

Also, TheBrush, I don't think Irvine's trying to come off like an "asshole". Just very opinionated, is all, as well as frustrated.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

That doesn't mean anything to the people who run these kinds of places. They're too concerned with butting their noses into a part of people's lives that should be nobody else's beeswax to begin with.

Indeed. Like you said, it's quite scary that there are places like this around.

Also, TheBrush, I don't think Irvine's trying to come off like an "asshole". Just very opinionated, is all, as well as frustrated.

Angela

yea i guess when rereading his posts i could see your point. But the grammar thing was pretty "assholish"

-Dude i know thats not a word either:wink:

TheBrush said:

OK, you may write about whatever you wish. And you may even be an asshole to me like you were earlier thats cool. Thats what makes FYM a great place.

i'm sorry if i came off that way, but i was irritated for you to (in my reading) minimize the issue of gay youth suicide, particularly in this thread which is dealing with a gay youth who, if you had read my earlier thread on this subject, had posted on his blog that he was miserable and wanted to die and had thoughts of killing both himself and his mother for having sent him to this ex-gay camp. then, someone comes around and tosses the word "faggot" into the mix, and then it devolved into some schoolyard name calling (which may or may not have been ironic ... hard to tell), and then i wanted to point out that most middle and high schools are terribly, terribly homophobic where "gay" is the second most common insult after "stupid" and that i grew up in such a place (in relatively liberal connecticut) and this contributes, directly, to most gay youth suicides. of course there's a multitude of reasons why a gay kid might kill himself; that's pretty obvious. it's never as linear as "i'm gay, let's go slash my wrists." it's more along the lines of "i'm gay, and my parents will be really upset and my friends might ditch me and who will i bring with to prom and how much longer until i can get out of this town and go to a city and what if i can't and what if my parents find out and where do i go and what do i do and who do i talk to and i'm feeling so left behind and isolated and lonely and retarded and maladjusted as my friends are all dating and i'm going through the motions but it's all pantomime and i just don't see how i could ever be gay because gay is a bad thing and i hear that gay is bad from my parents and from politicians on the TV and from all the people in my church and i play baseball and whenever someone fucks up a play we say that they were being a faggot and there are skinny effeminate kids who are beaten up at school and called faggot and i'm not one of them and i'd rather be dead than like that and there's just nowhere for me to go or to turn to and i don't see a way out."

which is why i'm going to start volunteering with a gay/bi/lesbian youth outreach program in August.

support for gay youth (along with gay adoption) are perhaps my two most sensitive gay related issues (gay marriage i believe in intellectually, but these other two are far, far more emotional) so i was probably a bit touchy.

i totally understand. Everyone is touchy about things they believe in. I see where you are coming from, but obviously as a straight man never had to walk in your shoes or anyone else who has been mistreated by a stranger, friend, loved one because of their sexual preference I guess I could never really appreciate what that is like.

I too am sorry for judging what you post about. I have no reasons for my actions. I guess I just think that there has been substanial progress on gay rights and That everyones thinking was that its going the other way. I guess I just didnt get it and got frustrated. Anyway I actually find your posts intriguing and well thought out.

I hope were cool now.

OHHH and congrats on your youth group participation.

:up:

TheBrush said:
i totally understand. Everyone is touchy about things they believe in. I see where you are coming from, but obviously as a straight man never had to walk in your shoes or anyone else who has been mistreated by a stranger, friend, loved one because of their sexual preference I guess I could never really appreciate what that is like.

I too am sorry for judging what you post about. I have no reasons for my actions. I guess I just think that there has been substanial progress on gay rights and That everyones thinking was that its going the other way. I guess I just didnt get it and got frustrated. Anyway I actually find your posts intriguing and well thought out.

I hope were cool now.

OHHH and congrats on your youth group participation.

all good.

i can come across a little strong at times -- something i should work on too.

and the grammar thing was really petty. sorry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom