You know, I really like Wild Honey and A Man and a Woman.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dunno, maybe because it just not particulary original or exciting?

I wouldn't say everyone outright depises them but many feel too indifferent towards them to conjour up any positive feelings for the songs. Although Wild Honey does have it's fans on this forum.

Last edited:
I think Wild Honey, A Man And A Woman and One Step Closer are all really great songs, but then again I also think Stuck is a masterpiece so most people here wouldn't trust my opinion :wink:

Irishteen said:
I think Wild Honey, A Man And A Woman and One Step Closer are all really great songs, but then again I also think Stuck is a masterpiece
I agree with you on all accounts :up:

...yey! all great songs!.....especially 'Stuck' which will prove to be one of the all time classics. It sounds both like the past and the future at the same time......

topplehatU2 said:
You know, I really like Wild Honey and A Man and a Woman. Even One Step Closer. I don't understand the hate they get around here. :huh:

I agree with you, except the Wild Honey part.

Haha.....I almost started this thread once. :wink:

I think Wild Honey is fantastic. It's a great love poem set to catchy music. So what if there's no bite to it....that's not the point. And I love how people love to rag on the "monkey" lyric...the same people who listen to RHCP sing

Hey oh listen what I say oh
Come back and
Hey oh look at what I say oh

The more I see the less I know
The more I like to let it go... hey oh... whoa whoa whoa

and think that's clever. :shrug: Oh well.

AMAW I never really got into until I had my car stereo turned all the way up and was rattled by the car-shaking bass in the second half. Now it's one that I turn to when I'm driving.

I also think it's funny that people rag on Red Light so much. If you take out the Coconuts, it's a pretty good song. Nor do I get why Trip Through Your Wires is a crappy song. Alas.

Last edited:
hahaha Utoo called em out

though I don't like Red Light

Wild Honey and A Man and a Woman, though? great songs. love 'em both. Wild Honey is a beauitful little pop song that sounds almost effortless in a good way, and A Man and a Woman has a lovely bassline and I love the lyrics, even if they're a bit cliche. it's a sweet song

Bones58 said:
I dunno, maybe because it just not particulary original or exciting?

:| For U2, I'd say they are pretty darn original. They're quietly experimental. Get used to it, because that's how I suspect the next few U2 records will be.

IMO:
Wild Honey - kinda lazy songwriting. I understand its place on the record as something "lighter," but it feels tossed off. Everyone's performance seems unfinished and uninspired.

A Man and a Woman - perfectly good track wrecked by Bono. Musically, it's great.

One Step Closer - also not too bad, but a super-lazy chorus and some cringe-worthy lines from yer man. That "prick from an old rose" is pretty bad. And try to cram the "intersection" line in is just awkward. I think the lads were trying to recapture some of the RTSS or Bad magic and is just doesn't work too well. Advice: Never get inspired by those Oasis sods again. Fucking tools.

I don't hate any of the War side two stuff. An honest attempt to inject a little funk into the U2 mix.

ahittle said:

I don't hate any of the War side two stuff. An honest attempt to inject a little funk into the U2 mix.

Indeed. I've always liked Red Light, and Surrender is fricking awesome. Personally, I dislike Two Hearts Beat As One far more...it's early U2-by-numbers. "40" is great stuff, and Refugee is bizarre but altogether fascinating. War is awesome.

I like Wild honey, and I think the bass is amazing on AMAAW! I just don't really like one step closer because it's too slow imo, and Red Light because it annoys me...

but Wild honey and AMAAW work for me as decent songs, I was srsly wtfing at answer guy's opinion on it tho

Utoo said:

I also think it's funny that people rag on Red Light so much. If you take out the Coconuts, it's a pretty good song. Nor do I get why Trip Through Your Wires is a crappy song. Alas.

I thought the coconuts were in The Refugee? I always thought it was the 'la-da-da' bit at the start that put people off! :scratch:

I personally prefer the latter half of War, but Red Light doesn't do much for me. That said, I think Surrender, Two Hearts, and The Refugee are the standout tracks on that album (as well as Seconds, but it's on the first half).

Wild Honey I thought was a bit too laid back for my taste. It's not a bad song, and I have listened to it on occasion, but it just sort of seems out of place on that album. Especially between Walk On and In A Little While.

A Man And A Woman I've never had a problem with. In fact, it still gets stuck in my head at random moments during the day. But One Step Closer, while I see the reasoning behind it, is a bit slow. It's very subdued, perfect if you're also subdued, but if you're looking for fast-paced stuff, it'd be better to flick it back to Vertigo.

I agree that Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of is a masterpiece. :wink: I had no idea people thought otherwise! Anywho, my two cents/pence on the matter. The songs don't deserve hatred, but I can see why some people prefer others to them.

evillaurd said:

I personally prefer the latter half of War, but Red Light doesn't do much for me. That said, I think Surrender, Two Hearts, and The Refugee are the standout tracks on that album (as well as Seconds, but it's on the first half).

What about SBS? New Year's Day? :(

Lyrically, I think A Man and a Woman is probably one of the best songs on HTDAAB ("But you're gone and so is God"--come on people, that's a great line). Prior to the tour, I was really looking forward to hearing a live version of it, but in retrospect, I'm glad they didn't play it. I don't think it would've translated very well live, just as Crumbs didn't. I love the bass in it, too, even though I nearly blew out the speakers in my car the first time I played it there.

I can't stand Wild Honey, but then again, I only really like about four songs on ATYCLB, so I'm probably a little biased. :shrug:

david said:
uhh coconuts in a U2 song? what are you people talking about?

Kid Creole's Coconuts is the name of the group of girls who sing the "da da da" part of Red Light and some backing vocals in Surrender.

u2_coconuts.jpg

Bono has a quote or two about two of the girls singing with their tops off

Irishteen said:
I think Wild Honey, A Man And A Woman and One Step Closer are all really great songs, but then again I also think Stuck is a masterpiece so most people here wouldn't trust my opinion :wink:
:yes: thirded.

:love: :love: :love: all these songs as much as the electric rockin ones.

when the soul wants the soul waits lyric in AMAAW is truely awe inspiring.
LemonMelon said:

For U2, I'd say they are pretty darn original. They're quietly experimental.
exactly!

I love Wild Honey, it's a great happy and mellow song, I actually have been listening to it quite a bit lately. A Man And A Woman I haven't listened to in ages, I like it but it's not that good, I should listen to it again though.

reptile said:
It sounds both like the past and the future at the same time......
yes it does sound that way, i think i understand and partly agree, but what does the future sound like?

Last edited:
evillaurd said:

Wild Honey I thought was a bit too laid back for my taste. It's not a bad song, and I have listened to it on occasion, but it just sort of seems out of place on that album. Especially between Walk On and In A Little While.

Bono has said that without Wild Honey the album would have made you want to shoot yourself. It was a deliberate light hearted moment to keep you from sinking under the waves. I think he's right because there is an awful lot of melancholy on that album and it could have been a bit morbid without Wild Honey to lighten it up some.

Dana

*browneyedgirl* said:

yes it does sound that way, i think i understand and partly agree, but what does the future sound like?

...ahhhhhhhhh, we shall have to wait and see my friend........
.....the song stucture, chord progression etc are quite classic and traditional but have been subverted in such a way that it sounds like a new song and a different kind of music and i think this is what u2 does so well now and may explain why they take so long to release stuff.....i believe Eno had a significant part to play in the arrangement of 'Stuck'......

kingofsorrow said:
a man and a woman- i like
1 step closer- i like
wild honey- the only song i like from ATYCLB^%&@*#@((#(!!@?

yeah bitches

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom