ye olde englishe/european footballe threade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dalton said:
Feck ME!

Roman SACKED Jose!

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=95990

Mourinho out at Chelsea

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has sensationally left the club by 'mutual consent' - the club has confirmed - following the Blues' UEFA Champions League draw at home to Rosenborg.

The Portuguese coach departed Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night (Thursday morning AEST) after texting five senior players to say he was leaving.

Mourinho caught Chelsea's hierarchy by surprise after the premiere of the club's documentary 'Blue Revolution' by demanding talks at Stamford Bridge over his future.

Those talks continued late into Wednesday night (Thursday morning AEST), but his players were left in no doubt that the 1-1 draw against Rosenborg in the UEFA Champions League was his last match in charge.

Mourinho is understood to have sent text messages to five players at 6pm on Wednesday (local time) and by midnight the entire first-team squad were aware that he had left.

Mourinho led the club to two Premier League titles after joining the club in June 2004 but their disastrous start to the new season had taken its toll on him.

The Chelsea manager is set to report to the training ground at Cobham to say goodbye to the players who won every domestic trophy during his time in England.

Juande Ramos, touted as a possible successor to Martin Jol at Tottenham, is among the coaches linked with his job.

Ramos watched his side lose 3-0 to Arsenal in the Champions League but may be tempted by an offer from the Blues.

Mourinho still had three years left on a contract, worth a staggering £6.5million (AUS$15.18million) a year, but the club's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich is prepared pay a huge slice of that in order to end their relationship.

At the time he signed the deal, Mourinho said: "My heart is with Chelsea and the fantastic group of players that I have but the vision of the owner and the board for the future of Chelsea is also one I want to be a part of."

"I cannot imagine another situation or another club where I could be happier. I am totally behind this project."

But Chelsea's board have become increasingly unhappy after the team's poor start to the season.

Chelsea are currently fifth in the Premier League, two points behind leaders Arsenal after six games, and their 1-1 draw with Rosenborg in their opening Champions League game did not help his cause.

Mourinho's departure comes just days before they face Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Assistant Steve Clarke or director of football Avram Grant are set to take charge of team affairs.

Last modified: 20 September 2007 09:42:12

that was the stupidest thing roman could have done. the whole team love jose and now they have no figurehead or leader. he was a brilliant manager. can't say i'm complaining!

I can't say that he was brilliant. He had a good system that he man managed effectively enough to win, but his teams left a lot to be desired: namely style.

He was a good tactician that went for results, but you can't be a brilliant manager in the beautiful game if you can't inspire beauty!

Tyagu_Anaykus said:
Its not beauty that wins games. But thats me.

No, but it is the reason to WATCH games.

I'm not going to watch a team win in a boring fashion until they start cutting me a part of the money they earn for that winning. Otherwise, I have more important things to do in my own life.

Jose could have been arrogant, but this manager is one of the smartest ones. He always took all the pressure on him, leaving the players in peace. That's why the team was always with him

what i liked about him was that he wasn't afraid to make bold substitutions at vital times to win games. we never ever saw sven do that when he was england manager. hmm thinking of that....jose + england = :drool:

get mclaren out now!

apparently jose and john terry had a bit of a row in the last week, and combined with their dismal showing in the champions league opener, these things led the chelsea board (read: roman abromavich) to saying enough is enough.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7007904.stm

Liverpool are waiting for international clearance to complete the signing of Canadian midfielder Michael D'Agostino, 25. (Sun).

Thought Canucks like Zoomy might be interested in this...it's the Sun though, so take it with the proverbial pinch of salt.

We've got a couple of Canadians at Ipswich, of course, Jason de Vos (the captain) and Jaime Peters. If I'm not wrong Stalteri at Spurs is the only one playing in the Premier League at the moment (unless you count Hargreaves, of course...)

They still have to play the big boys but I think Arsenal have shown that there is life after Henry and they are genuine contenders. Top of the table, Top Scorer, Top Assister, and a few contenders for Goal Of The Season already.

arsenal are playing well but spanking derby is hardly showing title winning credentials as liverpool showed a couple of weeks ago when they followed up a big win over derby by drawing a match with portsmouth they could easily have lost had it not been for reina saving a utaka penalty.

at the moment you have to say though arsenal are the team to beat.

But then again Arsenal have already beaten Portsmouth 3-1, and they beat a tough Man City side 1-0 who beat Man Utd shortly after. I agree they still have to play the bigger sides before we can judge them. However, they've shown a few additional qualities that were lacking last season, not to mention Adebayor who looks like a different prospect this time around.

Wenger appears to have played his cards right by getting rid of henry as arsenal look like they are really gelling. however it's still early days plus arsenal haven't played any of the other big sides yet. i remember when my villa boys were top of the league at christmas a few years ago only for them to plummet down the table for the rest of that season :(

And arsenal have yet to face a team that will foul them hard throughout the game.

that's usually ManUtd's tactics. They go in and really dig into them for the first half hour and then hit them on the counter after they are a bit timid.

Dalton said:
And arsenal have yet to face a team that will foul them hard throughout the game.

Aside from Blackburn, who are one of the most physically-minded teams in the Premiership. ;)

that's usually ManUtd's tactics. They go in and really dig into them for the first half hour and then hit them on the counter after they are a bit timid.

Not really. I wouldn't say Man Utd bully teams in the same way as Bolton or Blackburn. I give them more credit than that.

Last edited:
Count Marzipan said:

Not really. I wouldn't say Man Utd bully teams in the same way as Bolton or Blackburn. I give them more credit than that.

Go back and watch the last several time that Utd and Arsenal have played. Give close attention to the game that we ended their winning streak a few years ago. We took the physical game right to them and they broke.

All bburn brings to the table is the physical, when Utd use it they can back it up with skill players to hit on the counter. That's the difference.

Dalton said:
Go back and watch the last several time that Utd and Arsenal have played. Give close attention to the game that we ended their winning streak a few years ago. We took the physical game right to them and they broke.

I did indeed..Arsenal beat Utd home and away last season. In fact in the away game it was Arsenal who appeared to wear Utd down and took them apart in the last few minutes to nick a 2-1 victory. The game that ended their winning streak (thanks notably to a dive from Rooney..) was back in 2004 so I'm unsure how that applies to the current competition between these sides.

Dalton said:
All bburn brings to the table is the physical, when Utd use it they can back it up with skill players to hit on the counter. That's the difference.

That I do agree with. However, I wouldn't underestimate Blackburns attacking ability.

note to AC Milan

soccer_goal.jpg

this is a net...helps if you hit it every once in a while doncha think?

An actual quote from Ray Hudson calling the Barcelona-Zaragoza game yesterday:

"Lionel Messi...is fizzier than an Alka-Seltzer in a glass of Newcastle brown ale."

we were 4-1 up and a blew it. typical. i almost wanted to cry last night.

good entertainment for the neutral though. paul robinson should never play for england again.

Hey, Dida, what the fuck?

That's some of the worst acting ever. A stretcher?! Is this idiot not aware of those funny things called cameras that are recording every second of the game from multiple angles?

Celtic will still be punished no matter what...an idiot fan got onto the pitch and did something stupid...we will probably have to play a game behind closed doors at the very least.

Seedorf said Dida was a bit dizzy:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom