Would you say HTDAAB is U2's third masterpiece?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The album hasn't even been played live properly yet i.e. on tour. The songs always develop further then. Bad sounds pretty shite on Unforgetable Fire compared with almost any live version so give the Bomb time.

And yes, considering this, I think it is a masterpiece.

even if bono takes a shit people will call it a master-piece!!!!!!!!

the thing is u2 are so big now that people cant tell if its crap or not....

for me Achtung baby was the last great u2 album!!!!! POP kicked arsss but was a weird album!

atyclb(yuck album) maby two good songs on the album!
htdaab was nice when i heard it but then i just hated it and i just gave the album to a friend and i have not heard a single song off htdaab in like 3 months... that says alot....

u2 have become a pop band yuck yuck!!!!

putting htdaab and atyclb next to a rockNroll abum like Achtung baby is a disgrace to music !!!!!!

zootv was the last great u2 concert also!!!!!!!!!

whats up with the vertigo tour yuck yuck!!!

and i know that the same people that think that htdaab is a master piece will call vertigo tour the best tour and that its better than zootv:mad:

why cant people see through the smoke and glass????

u2 are too old which is sad!!!! and their music just SUX so much now!!!!! i just heard new years day on the radio :drool: i cant believe whats happened to u2!!!!!!!!! they are eaisly the most borring band on the planet right now!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Shaun vox, if you hadn't already done so, you have now descended into the territory of the troll.

Axver said:
Shaun vox, if you hadn't already done so, you have now descended into the territory of the troll.
images

Last edited:
Just want to say "Bad" never sounded like shite on the album.
Never. It was magnificent when it came out. I spent hours and hours thrilling to it. So did all my friends. Cassette. Vinyl. Every day. We were teens then. It was heart-breaking.

Back to topic:

Absolutely. Bomb is their third masterpiece. It's shot through with emotion -- great guitars -- great vocals -- heart-felt drums -- great songs.

I'm getting ready to leave the ground.

TIME TIME TIME TIME

Last edited:
zooroper said:
the only good song on HTDAAB is "original of the species". period.

And City Of Blinding Lights, the fifth-best song U2 have ever made. And Miracle Drug, with the wonderful slide solo, Edge's singing, and the rousing conclusion. And the overwhelming emotion of SYCMIOYO. And the experimentalism and the dark surge of LAPOE. And the rock and roll of ABOY. And the powerfully effective rock of Vertigo. And the fun, enjoyable, yet deep brilliance of AMAAW. And the brilliant political lyricism combined with the ringing guitar of Crumbs. And the beautifully crafted atmosphere of the gem that is One Step Closer. And the joyous, honest spirituality of Yahweh. And the cool Middle Eastern influence on Fast Cars.

So there's actually quite a few good songs! In fact, a whole record of great songs! Definitely a masterpiece.

It's a CD collection of 21st century U2 singles. And hence, it isn't a great album. As a collection of songs, I like 8 of the 11 on HTDAAB.

The last "album" that U2 really made was Achtung Baby. Every album since has taken more of a singles approach. Maybe Zooropa fits the bill too, but Pop onward? Singles collections.

If you want to know what I mean about an album, try any of the following:

Doves Some Cities
U2 Joshua Tree
James Laid
Radiohead OK Computer
Interpol Turn on the Bright Lights
Grandaddy (any album)

You may not like these albums, but they have a cohesion within that HTDAAB just doesn't have. It's only perfect for these iPod times.

(Hint: limiting yourself to one producer helps IMMENSELY)

Last edited:
Since when does an "album" have to be one big flowly artsy masterwork. I am sick of this whole "It's a collection of good songs, but not an album" argument. It's just stupid! An album CAN be like "Dark Side of the Moon", or it can be like "With the Beatles". They are two totally different kinds of album, but both are fantasic in what they are. HTDAAB is one of the latter. But how the fuck does that disqualify as it as a "good album"? Some of you people need to get over yourselves.

P.S. Reading Shaun's posts makes my eyes bleed.:mad:

:rockon:

How can you honestly say this new album is a 'masterpiece?' It's a good album but a masterpiece? What's so special about it? Among the U2 catalog I think there are albums much more musically developed and masterful than this.

Who the hell says HTDAAB doesn't have a flow? It DOES. It takes you from the confusion and mania of Vertigo, dismantles the atomic bomb of society, and leaves you refreshed and rejuvenated at the end as the last notes of Yahweh finish.

HTDAAB is a pretty good album. It could have been a GREAT album if the band had made different decisions about track selection and track order...I'm listening to my own htdaab playlist right now(Native Son/Miracle Drug/Sometimes/Xanax And Wine/Original Of The Species/Smile/Mercy/City Of Blinding Lights/Love You Like Mad/Yahweh/LAPOE/One Step Closer) and I'm feeling 'it', something I've been struggling with with HTDAAB. But even like that, it's not a masterpiece. The lyrics are just not up to par with AB and JT.

Axver just a question... do you like matchbox 20?

on topic>>> new years day is 100 times better than any thing on htdaab!!!

whats up with every one saying its heart felt and blah blah ??

xana dew said:
Just want to say "Bad" never sounded like shite on the album.
Never. It was magnificent when it came out. I spent hours and hours thrilling to it. So did all my friends. Cassette. Vinyl. Every day. We were teens then. It was heart-breaking.

I only meant that it sounded like shite comparatively!

Play the album version and Bono sounds a bit awkward and vocally constrained when compared with a soaring live performance where the crowd just brings out that extra energy in all the band. The drums have a greater variation in the intensity of their pounding, as does the ring of the guitar notes. The bass gets plucked violently and at times softly and the vocal climbs to a fantastic roaring scream of "wide awaaaaaaaake!" Bono ad-libs almost anything into the song, something different every night bringing that element of surprise and danger to the moment.

shaun vox said:

Eh. Don't mind them, but I don't like them.

Don't see what this has to do with anything.

shaun vox said:

on topic>>> new years day is 100 times better than any thing on htdaab!!!

whats up with every one saying its heart felt and blah blah ??

So why do you think New Years day is 100 times better than anything on HTDAAB?

Dohhhhhhhh........ GEEEEETARRRR Solo........:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

:rockon: This is the funniest emoticon ever.

Anyway, this is another one of those threads that should be obsolete by now. I'm guessing the person who posted this thread in the first place either got into U2 with the new album or ATYCLB. If you look at all the albums objectively and evaluate them, how can HTDAAB be a masterpiece? Masterpieces tend to not have have boring, trite, banal lyrics.

I prefer Unforgettable Fire at the moment, although this is a better album in terms of average quality. However, that does not mean that I would call this a 'masterpiece' yet, I haven't quite decided yet, I'll let you know after a year has passed.

unnamed_streets said:
If you look at all the albums objectively and evaluate them, how can HTDAAB be a masterpiece? Masterpieces tend to not have have boring, trite, banal lyrics.

I guess Achtung Baby's not a masterpiece then.

Axver said:

I guess Achtung Baby's not a masterpiece then.

That's right. With lyrics such as these...

In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim
Surrounding me, going down on me
Spilling over the brim
Waves of regret and waves of joy
I reached out for the one I tried to destroy

You don't know if it's fear or desire
Danger the drug that takes you higher
Head in heaven, fingers in the mire
Her heart is racing, you can't keep up
The night is bleeding like a cut
Between the horses of love and lust
We are trampled underfoot

And you can dream
So dream out loud
You know that your time is coming 'round
So don't let the bastards grind you down
No, nothing makes sense
Nothing seems to fit
I know you'd hit out
If you only knew who to hit
And I'd join the movement
If there was one I could believe in
Yeah I'd break bread and wine
If there was a church I could receive in
'cause I need it now

... it is not a masterpiece at all. Right.

unnamed_streets said:

That's right. With lyrics such as these...

In my dream I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows, they learned to swim
Surrounding me, going down on me
Spilling over the brim
Waves of regret and waves of joy
I reached out for the one I tried to destroy

You don't know if it's fear or desire
Danger the drug that takes you higher
Head in heaven, fingers in the mire
Her heart is racing, you can't keep up
The night is bleeding like a cut
Between the horses of love and lust
We are trampled underfoot

And you can dream
So dream out loud
You know that your time is coming 'round
So don't let the bastards grind you down
No, nothing makes sense
Nothing seems to fit
I know you'd hit out
If you only knew who to hit
And I'd join the movement
If there was one I could believe in
Yeah I'd break bread and wine
If there was a church I could receive in
'cause I need it now

... it is not a masterpiece at all. Right.

I was referring to stuff like "one love, one life, when it's one need in the night", "baby, baby, baby, light my way", "take the money, honey", and all of Even Better Than The Real Thing.

Achtung Baby has its fair share of dodgy lyrics. Love the album all you want, but it's not perfect. One is not an anthem because it's lyrically brilliant (it's NOT), it's an anthem because of its emotional impact.

namkcuR said:

Why are you so hard on AB? I notice you speaking negatively of it pretty often.

Because it destroyed the Lovetown era, the greatest era of them all. I resent a lot of U2's change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom