Woody Harrelson/Song For Someone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is "classic coke U2" the new term for familiar-sounding territory by the band?

Sent from my 831C using U2 Interference mobile app

I stole it from Lanois. He used it to describe the Edge's sound on BD. It has to do with embracing a sound that you pretty much own. There is nothing wrong with that. It's a rare thing to actually own a sound. But everyone's a critic you know.

Now that you mention it, I do remember the Lanois interview where he said that.

There is nothing wrong with that. It's a rare thing to actually own a sound. But everyone's a critic you know.

Alas, such is life... but sometimes on here, you'd think they have to reinvent the wheel every single time. ;)

If Song for Someone were representative of the classic sound that U2 owns, it's safe to say I'd have never become a fan.

Forget the chorus, any long standing U2 fan would of called it "U2" seconds into the solo if that was all that they heard. You can't be any more classic than that. All the Edge phoning it in comments back in September here only prove that.

Song for Someone is a great choice for a single because it's very catchy, in my opinion. Their age and what gets played on the radio may prevent them from having a huge hit again, but as a fan I've been pleased with the SOI era. Some of their best work is on this album. The Miracle, EBW, SFS all would've done well as singles if released in the 90's/early 00. EBW got played on a few stations around here for a few months. It never became a huge hit but I heard it on a few Hot AC stations here.

Just keep remembering the reaction it received after the graham norton performance to be honest, and the casual audience seemed to like it

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Seems like they're going for the song that is most likely to get sung on X-Factor as a way to connect with the "masses".

I quite like the song but it is one of the worst on the album (for me) and I reckon California and The Troubles would have been much better choices for singles.

I do like the idea of each single having a mini film for a video though.

Is it a decision of the same band who realased Fly and Discotheque as singles?
Do they really believe Miracle and Song for Someone are songs they will be remembered for?
:hmm:

I actually don't hate the song... I just hate the single choice. Another tedder/epworth single chosen, another track from the more interesting second half / all DangerMouse produced part of the album ignored.

:sigh:

I think it's safe to say that Mr Burton will have nothing to do with the next album, be that Songs of Experience or whatever else comes next.

It's also lame that they took Every Breaking Wave and neutered it, and then followed it up with a pre- neutered adult alternative snoozeroo

You can hate the song, but hate it for legit reasons. Stop overusing the "classic coke" argument. With the exception of the short solo there really isn't anything U2ey about it.

You can hate the song, but hate it for legit reasons. Stop overusing the "classic coke" argument. With the exception of the short solo there really isn't anything U2ey about it.

I can sort of agree with this, I think that's my problem with it though - its just too bland and generic, it might be better if it were more "U2ey" whatever that is...

It doesn't sound like Streets or Walk On or whatever traditional U2 is meant to sound like. It does, however, sound like a song they're capable of writing in 10 minutes.

Wait, SFS is being released as a single? That's an absolutely tragic idea.

It doesn't sound like Streets or Walk On or whatever traditional U2 is meant to sound like. It does, however, sound like a song they're capable of writing in 10 minutes.

I think you're right and what is sad is that they probably spent months working on it.

With that said, I like the song a lot. It's a song that is easy to relate to and follow along. And yes it sounds generic, but with a U2 twist....and Cosmo loves him some U2!!!!

I actually don't hate the song... I just hate the single choice. Another tedder/epworth single chosen, another track from the more interesting second half / all DangerMouse produced part of the album ignored.

:sigh:

I think it's safe to say that Mr Burton will have nothing to do with the next album, be that Songs of Experience or whatever else comes next.

It's also lame that they took Every Breaking Wave and neutered it, and then followed it up with a pre- neutered adult alternative snoozeroo

It was produced by tedder and flood

The problem isn't that it sounds like classic U2; the problem is that it sounds like what younger people think classic U2 sounds like.

While I enjoy SFS well enough, I must agree w/ those who think it a poor choice for a single--primarily because, in all likelihood, it won't make a dent on the charts :der:
"Neither would any other track from the album," you say?? Well in that case, I believe what would most favor the band would be to release a track w/ a bit more personality! It seems somewhat counterintuitive to start this massive tour in conjunction w/ SFS's single release as opposed to something like, say, TIWYCRMN (assuming Crystal Ballroom is off the table).

This is what should have happened:

U2 release SOI via Itunes/Iphone
1st single 'This Is Where You Can Reach Me' (Would have steered U2 away from another 'Top 40 Rock Tune' and sounds like old U2 but fresh)
2nd single 'Crystal Ballroom' - Promote Physical Release
3rd single 'EBW'

I don't wtf happened.

The problem isn't that it sounds like classic U2; the problem is that it sounds like what younger people think classic U2 sounds like.

I don't think younger people really know what U2 sounds like. It's really got not a lot to do with single selection, either. It's just the fact that they're old and younger people don't really want to give old music a chance. Of course, there's exceptions.

I was out with some coworkers last week, and this one girl (22 or 23?) told me she doesn't like U2 at all, and doesn't know why I do. I don't really care if people don't like them, but I asked what songs she's heard. "None," she said. So I took command of the jukebox, played 5-10 songs, and she was singing along to Mysterious Ways, I Still Haven't Found, One, Pride -- and she had no idea those were U2 songs. None.

Song for Someone is a great choice for a single because it's very catchy, in my opinion.

It's definitely catchy.

If I could pay someone to get the damned thing out of my head, I would.

As much as I dislike it, it is the song from the album most likely to get stuck in my head.

WHY GOD WHY.

Well yeah. I think laying off the rawk singles (and the second bad lead single in a row) and vintage U2 sounds (Magnificent hasn't tought them anything so here comes EBW...) right now might be a good idea for them. Maybe having a Hollywood actor in the video could get the song more exposure.

I think Reach or Troubles might be closer to what radio plays currently but I doubt radio is into playing U2 unless they team up with someone younger (ie Macca, Kanye and Rihanna recently).

This song is boring and generic. They should've sacked up and released Reach, TCB or Cedarwood Road as the 3rd single. In fact, Reach or TCB should've been the lead single. The Miracle is a good song, but those two would've been better choices.

Back
Top Bottom