why does he pronounce it "bon-oh" instead of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just trying to be funny because I was bored as hell when I posted this.

I wasn't actually looking for a real answer.

Some people need to drink more.

This thread is pretty interesting though!

Here's a couple for ya....

--How do you pronounce "mono"...as in not stereo?? I pronounce it as mah-no.

--In the US (not sure about other places) we use the term "pro-bono" and pronounce it as pro-boenoe.

--Just curious about this one but....how do you all pronounce "schoen"?? (I am in the US and pronounce it as shane like the Wayne Newton song "Danka Schoen")

yeah, I know what you mean....it's like here in the u.s., they pronounce fred durst's band "limp bizcut"...but I just say "pile of shit".

Just curious about this one but....how do you all pronounce "schoen"?? (I am in the US and pronounce it as shane like the Wayne Newton song "Danka Schoen")

Wayne Newton (among others) pronounces it like "shane," which is incorrect, German-wise.

The word is correctly spelt as "schon," (if I recall my Gernam correctly ... please feel free to fix me, German-speakers) but with umlauts over the 'o', which changes the vowel.

It's hard to describe, but the best way I've ever heard to describe an umlauted 'o' is to say the letter 'e,' but while your mouth is making an 'o' shape.

I don't think there's a smiley to demonstrate the technique. :wink:

JOFO said:
yeah, I know what you mean....it's like here in the u.s., they pronounce fred durst's band "limp bizcut"...but I just say "pile of shit".

:lol:

corianderstem said:

Oh, heh. I should have caught that. I tried to overthink it and thought it was some phrase I'd just never heard before.

:reject:

sorry -- of course it was slang...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom