Who Da Producer?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
This VH1 article gleaned from atu2.com would suggest that Lillywhite has been named as Producer... so what was the Chris Thomas thing all about?

U2 Fans To Get 'Vertigo' In September; LP Due In November

Still-untitled 11th album was produced by Steve Lillywhite.

VH-1, August 19, 2004

Alyssa Rashbaum

U2's still-untitled new album now has a release date.

"The Irish rockers will release their 11th studio album, produced by Steve Lillywhite, on November 23, while the first single, "Vertigo," will hit radio on September 24. A video will be released in October."

Yeah, I agree he will be included on the credits no doubt. However Nelle Hooper put together most of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" and I don't remember his name in the credits on Pop. Does anyone else?

unfortunately brian eno wasn't included. usually, his challenging approach to the band gives excelent results.
anyway,i trust in liliwhite.

I predict that Steve Lillywhite will get credit for producing the album, and that the b-sides will be credited to Chris Thomas.

Thomas will definitely get credited, he worked with the band for almost a year. He may even be listed as the co-producer.

This will all of course be dependent on how much of the actual work he produced ended up on the album.

I read some interesting articles about U2 recording AB, Zoo, and POP and how so many people worked on that album yet, the credit only really went to those who ended up in the final mix.

Meaning Thomas may have worked on 7 or 8 of the eventual album cuts, but if all that material was re-recorded he may not get credit for production.

I am guessing he gets a big credit in some respect. I can't wait to hear what happened between fall 2003 and spring 2004, when Thomas was replaced with Lillywhite and what happened to the progression of the recording.

it would be also cool to find out how daniel lanois came in and helped out during that short period he was in the studio.

Rolling stone preview says

The album was recorded at the bands studio in Dublin and in the South of France, with Steve Lillywhite, Flood, Nellee Hooper, Jacknife Lee and Chris Thomas.

(what about Lanois? and, are the Iovine rumors true?)

I don't think Lanois was brought in as a producer. I think they just brought him in as a fresh pair of ears to hear what they'd done. I haven't heard anything about him recording with the band.

I also wonder if William Orbit had anything to do with sessions for the album or not. I suppose they could have just worked on 'Electrical Storm' and 'Hands That Built America' only with him, but that seems odd.

I have to admit that I wish they would have stayed with him, he's the man. I'm sure Lillywhite did a good job again though. :up:

u2popmofo said:
I also wonder if William Orbit had anything to do with sessions for the album or not. I suppose they could have just worked on 'Electrical Storm' and 'Hands That Built America' only with him, but that seems odd.

I have to admit that I wish they would have stayed with him, he's the man. I'm sure Lillywhite did a good job again though. :up:

They worked with Orbit for those two songs to see how they got on with the idea of going into the studio together, but it didn't really work out that way.

I think having Lillywhite is perfect for the type record they've made.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom