What's wrong with "Wild Honey?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well don't hate me everyone :reject:... but i'm not a fan of Wild Honey infact i always skip it when i listen to ATYCLB i never did like it and i can't really explain why...the song just does nothing for me.
I'm sorry...:reject:

I don't like Wild Honey purely from a lyrical stand point. One of the things that I've liked best about U2 (besides the guitar work of the Edge) is that many of the lyrics are metaphorical and require some deep thought. This song has neither, unless a monkey stealing honey does something for you.

whackjester said:
I don't like Wild Honey purely from a lyrical stand point. One of the things that I've liked best about U2 (besides the guitar work of the Edge) is that many of the lyrics are metaphorical and require some deep thought. This song has neither, unless a monkey stealing honey does something for you.

Obviously the use of monkey symbolizes the penis and and honey stands for the "honey pot." So yes, it does something for me.

Flying FuManchu said:

Obviously the use of monkey symbolizes the penis and and honey stands for the "honey pot." So yes, it does something for me.

Obviously... Wait a minute. I never though this. Then what does "swingin' through the trees" mean?

I think I realize why people don't like Wild Honey... because of the sexual imagery and the espousing of a swinging lifestyle and the fact that Interferencers are generally puritan moralists with red-state leanings- a subversive/ sexual song such as Wild Honey must create feelings of disgust and loathing. Hmmmmm

Flying FuManchu said:
a subversive/ sexual song such as Wild Honey must create feelings of disgust and loathing. Hmmmmm

Oh, so is that why my wife and I like this song so much? Interesting... (I realize you're being facetious. I agree.)

I've loved this song since the first listening. When my friend was defending In a Little While I was defending this.

I know the Beatle connection has been made but I have to second that sentiment. It is an extremely accesible song. It could have been on Rubber Soul. I like the lighthearted nature of it. It has such a sweet message even though the lyrics could be interpreted with a double-entendre.

:laugh:

I always thought the "I was a monkey" is connected to the "days when we were swinging from the trees" meant the song is about a relationship that was meant to be. A couple belonging together even before they ever met.

"stealing honey from a swarm of bees" IMO means that the guy in the relationship was pursuing the woman. She had several candidates interested, but he succeeded in wooing her.

Bono's voice holds up quite well halfway through the song tho. When he screams something like "Blow me if it be so.."?
I think that's the line anyway.:huh:

ImOuttaControl said:

But why is it bad in your opinion? It always gets slammed on this site but people do not give intelligent answers about why they think its so bad.

Pretty close to being the worst song ever? Being a little dramatic?:eyebrow:

You're right, it's pretty easy just to slam a song, but not so easy to say why. I don't like the lyrics, I think the music is boring and too poppy. I don't mind pop, pop music can be really great if it's done right. Wild Honey is just pop for the sake of pop and absolutely pointless. Before this song, I'd never heard a U2 song that I hated, some better than others, but never a song I couldn't stand. I have a very difficult time explaining exactly why I feel this way with this song, I just do.

blow me if it be so?
yowza...
i know you were juss messin.
love me give me soul
wild honey is one of the best songs...EVER MAN!
*dont mean to get too Garth on ya*

Folkelig said:

Wild Honey is just pop for the sake of pop

That reminds me a little of Larry's comment on the Passengers project.
"There's a fine line between Art and Art for Arts sake...you gotta be careful with that one".

Just thought id share what I was thinking!!:wink:

U2girl said:
:laugh:

I always thought the "I was a monkey" is connected to the "days when we were swinging from the trees" meant the song is about a relationship that was meant to be. A couple belonging together even before they ever met.

"stealing honey from a swarm of bees" IMO means that the guy in the relationship was pursuing the woman. She had several candidates interested, but he succeeded in wooing her.

I agree. This is the interpretation I got out of the song. I didin't really read any sexual content into it. But, I suppose it's a possibility.

Aardvark747 said:
Bono's voice holds up quite well halfway through the song tho. When he screams something like "Blow me if it be so.."?

I had no idea this song was about oral sex! Thanks for the revelation!
:lmao:

To me, Wild Honey is U2 exploring another style. It sounds very much like the Momma's & the Poppa's or something else out of the early 70s. On Hut dab, A Man and a Woman is another track where U2 is experimenting with its style. However, they hit the nail on the head with AMAAW.

you guys are all SO WRONG!!!

Wild Honey is not pointless.

not only is it a beautiful love song, it also charts mankinds journey from innocence to experience!

the monkey is what man used to be. Mankind also used to be innocent before they ate the apple (btw the bible never said it was an apple) and became conscious.

"What is soul?"

I believe that line is the monkey coming conscious.

Ill post my essay i did for my English Advanced Higher dissertation on innocence/experience later.

U2 use many of the same methods William Blake used in his 'Songs of Innocence'. I dunno if that was deliberate or not, but i hate it when people slag off this song!

:)

I've always thought this song was pretty good, except for the middle when the lyrics become completely unintelligible. It's just too distracting for my ears & brain, trying to decipher it, for the past 4 years now.

Aardvark747 said:

:lol:

I also hear

"what is soul? luv me give me soul"

Get your mind out of the gutter, people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom