What would you say to Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AtomicLemon said:
We talked about alot of things - music, food, the state of the industry, different bands, books he's read, etc.

I know it was a while ago, but do you remember any more details of this conversation (especially the books part)? I'm glad he was so nice! :)

I met Bono in Philly when he was in town for the Data rally, and all I could say was "What's up Bono!! How do you like my sunglasses?!" becuase I was wearing the blue Bvlgari glasses and he had the green ones on. He said "You're lookin good man, lookin good!" I kind of wish I thought of something better to say like "How is the album coming along?", but I never thought I was going to get so close in the first place. Hopefully there will be a next time and I will ask or say something that actually matters.

If I should have the honor of meeting him again anytime soon, I will thank him for continuing to be inspiring and then ask this question: "What's up with the unos, dos, tres, catorce?" :D

sonnyu2 said:
I met Bono in Philly when he was in town for the Data rally, and all I could say was "What's up Bono!! How do you like my sunglasses?!" becuase I was wearing the blue Bvlgari glasses and he had the green ones on. He said "You're lookin good man, lookin good!"

You didn't really say that. Did you? :laugh: That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny right there....

Pop Artist said:
If I should have the honor of meeting him again anytime soon, I will thank him for continuing to be inspiring and then ask this question: "What's up with the unos, dos, tres, catorce?" :D

Yeah, yeah, I think I'd ask that too. Really it's been buggin the hell out of me - to hear his explanation would put my world at ease :D

Honestly though if I met Bono...I have no idea what I'd say. I have trouble talking to my TEACHER who I've had a crush on for about a year... I freeze up or end up saying stupid stuff...but Bono, a man who has impacted my life since I was 9 and I've been basically in love with since I was 12? I'd probably just die or something. If I somehow magically got the ability to be coherent though I'd thank him for everything, I'd try to put into words all that he's done for me... how he's saved my life on multiple occassions, what a great person he is, ect... or maybe I'd just randomly blurt out "You're sexy" or something :lol: Honestly I'd love to sit down and have a conversation with him, talk about whatever - music, books, movies, politics, anything...we're both very talkative people. I wish I could talk with him for hours.

Though I'd have to agree with Boontje - really it'd just be great to get a hug from him. If I met him I might ask for a hug - would that be too much? He seems to give 'em out pretty freely...but I don't want to be demanding...

Oh and I'd like to ask him if he'd ever consider being The Fly again :D cuz that would be the greatest thing ever... Sharik, you're evil. Bono SO does not need a haircut. Long hair = hawt.

I really don't know to be honest. I wish i did. It depends on who I am as a person when i meet him

All of you have some really good ideas. I KNOW it will happen for me this upcoming tour. Watch out when I determined...
I really think I'm going to tell him about interference and that there is really a spot waiting for him.
I think he has heard it all, but he still loves to hear it. When the fans fade so might the band

shart1780 said:
"wow you really ARE short!!!"

An unfortuante fan actually did blurt out something to this effect. In her excitement at seeing him for the first time, she said, loudly, something like "Ooh, he's so little!" She didn't mean it in a bad way, but it did not go down well. (Yes, he did hear it and was very pointedly cool towards her.)

For myself, I would hope not to freak out and go blank. I'd love to ask him what he's reading, or, if it were a longer encounter, to talk about faith issues.

Last edited:
clementine_rose said:
I think that if Bono saw me he would run away. He once said that he doesn't like tall people and tries not to hang around them. I am 5'11 so I think he would try to avoid me

I'm a 5'11" woman and he said I was "so beautiful" :)

So, I wouldn't worry if I were you ;-)

Wow. What would I say if I met Bono? It's so odd, I haven't really thought about that much even though I've wanted to meet him for almost three years now. I wouldn't really talk AT him, I'd talk WITH him. I think THAT would be the huge difference.

I'd want to know about Bono. It's amazing to me how few people really want to know. I wouldn't do it because no one else has but because I am truly interested in the guy.

So, I'd probably ask him about himself, what's going on in his life at that moment, how he feels, is he having a good day, what are his plans for the day. That sort of thing.

I know I may sound like a very odd fan to you, but I don't care.

Last edited:
U2Traveller said:
Wow. What would I say if I met Bono? It's so odd, I haven't really thought about that much even though I've wanted to meet him for almost three years now. I wouldn't really talk AT him, I'd talk WITH him. I think THAT would be the huge difference.

I'd want to know about Bono. It's amazing to me how few people really want to know. I wouldn't do it because no one else has but because I am truly interested in the guy.

So, I'd probably ask him about himself, what's going on in his life at that moment, how he feels, is he having a good day, what are his plans for the day. That sort of thing.

I know I may sound like a very odd fan to you, but I don't care.

That's not odd at all, I feel the same way. I would love to really get to know him - sometimes I feel like I already do but I haven't even met him, I can't say I know him! It'd be so damn cool to just be like "Hey Bono, what's up? How ya doin'?" as if he were a friend or something...

I met him almost two weeks ago and amazingly, was able to say what I'd always told myself I'd say: "Hi, I'm such a big fan, thank you for all the great music."

Unfortunately, I have no idea what he said back to me. There was a handshake, a kiss on the cheek and a hug, and can you blame me for not remembering anything after (or during) that? :wink:

I know I've posted a couple possible things I'd say, and the most likely thing still remains, "I think I'm going to faint". But if I had the cajones I'd really like to know what his favorite Bible passage is....I always think of him when reading James 1:27.....

Well, this is assuming I don't puke all over him from being really nervous? "Gosh, Bono, sorry I puked on you, thanks for everything." :barf: <<faints>> <<thud>> :faint:

Seriously? I really doubt I'd have a grasp of the English (or any) language at that point in time, but if I did, I'd ask him how he keeps his faith with all the terrible things going on in the world. I'd also ask him why he never tires of doing stuff that's really uncool for a rock star to be doing (all of his humanitarian efforts) - I mean, let's face it, changing the world takes a lot of time and effort! Then I'd ask him if he needed a massage therapist for the upcoming tour, as I just happen to be one...

Oh, yeah, and "Do you, uh, yahoo?"

I would just jump to hug him, and wouldn't let go until secutity came to pull me away... and I would pray the lord to help me not to cry:hug:

If I ran into Bono on the streets, I would say, "Hey Bono, thanks for the music." And shake his hand, then go into a conversation about ZOO TV, Popmart and the Joshua Tree even.

I'd ask him if I could go on tour with them the rest of the year and hang out at all the concerts. :wink:

Or ask him to bring the rest of the boys and come play at my next family get together. :hyper:

Why was this thread resurrected? It's a year old and it reminds me too much of the nonsensical style of posting I had back then.:wink:

That could be a good thing. :wink:

Let me tell you what I said to him on Saturday:

Me: "I don't have anything for you to sign, but can I get a handshake?"

Bono (extending his hand and smiling): "Yeah"

Back
Top Bottom