What songs should stay next year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be sick if they threw out Vertigo and used The Fly or Mofo. Whichever one, take your pick. I'd like to see either one under The Claw. It would be cool if they tried a full version of Zooropa. If none of those then at least I Will Follow. I'm thinking drop Boots but it seems to work live and I have to admit I kinda like it. And it would be cool if they tried SUC at least once. Use So Cruel instead of WOWY. I don't know I'm all out of ideas. Try Rejoice?

it should be like this

00 - Kingdom
01 - FEZ/Being Born
02 - Get On Your Boots
03 - No Line On The Horizon
04 - Magnificent
05 - Celtic intro/ Beautiful Day
06 - Last Night On Earth
07 - Until The End Of The World//
08 - Breathe
09 - Electrical Storm
10 - Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
11 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
12 - Mysterious Ways
13 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
14 - Unknown Caller
15 - The Unforgettable Fire
16 - City Of Blinding Lights
17 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
18 - Bad
------------------------------
Popmusik intro
19 - Mofo//
20 - Crazy Tonight (remix)
21 - Vertigo
------------------------------
Desmond Tutu speech
22 - One
23 - MLK
24 - Where The Streets Have No Name
25 - Moment Of Surrender

For me, I know they're going to keep Ultraviolet, it's probably one of the songs the band enjoy the most (especially Bono). I really wish they include a Zooropa or POP song, or at least something pre-Joshua Tree. Or YBR + ES. :D

DYFL is one of the top 3 songs on POP album. It was never given the real effort it needed during live to make it work properly. If given chance, it will be a worthwhile addition to the live setlist, IMHO.

And, I loved the popmart Vegas version a lot. Adam's basswork and Edge's melodious guiter sound makes me dance everytime.

The band built UV and the Crazy remix into the technology of the show so well, I cannot imagine those dropping out (and shouldn't, IMO). And I loved TUF but I think it may have run its course. Replacing that one with Bad wouldn't be so... well... bad.

Someone earlier mentioned they'd like to see more 'rockers' and I couldn't agree more. IWF and The Fly would be tremendous additions.

Ultimately, though, I like pretty close to every song in the U2 canon, so whatever it is that gets the band excited - and therefore, presumably, gets them to play each song to its full potential - will make for a satisfying tour. I would not have put UV on my wish list for the 2009 tour but it quickly became a "must" for example.

This is my guess for the next tour leg:

DROP
* Ultraviolet
* The Unforgettable Fire
* Breathe
* Unknown Caller
* Walk On
* City Of Blinding Lights (only a few times)

"NEW" SONGS:
* Even Better Than The Real Thing or HMTMKMKM 3rd of 4th song of the show, every other night)
* Wire or A Sort Of Homecoming (Replacing The Unforgettable Fire)
* HTDAAB song: SYCMIOYO/COBL/LAPOE (changing every other night)
* Kite (replacing Walk On)
* FEZ-Being Born (1st encore)
* Please (2nd encore replacing Ultraviolet)

Maybe a little bit too much changes... But I would like it!

The band built UV and the Crazy remix into the technology of the show so well, I cannot imagine those dropping out (and shouldn't, IMO).

Right on. My brother's heading to the Minneapolis show this summer too, and I know he would love to hear Ultraviolet live (his all-time favorite U2 song, mostly due to me recommending it to him the first time, lol). I'd love to hear both be kept on for the summer tour as well.

They'd be insane to drop Ultraviolet.

Why would they drop it anyways? It gives the feel to the "suit of lights" and Bono swinging on that mic.

Gone does reference the "suit of lights", though it wouldn't be the same, if it was put this way: Gone, and then With Or Without You. Would be great for the first few songs or the middle of the show.

I really hope they keep Ultraviolet, but if they must replace it, it better be something better than In A Little While(great song, but in a stadium with the claw, I think not) or acoustic Stuck or anything along those lines.

MOFO, Hold Me...Thrill Me, Gone, Last Night On Earth and Please are at the top of my wish list just like they are for everyone else, but at this point, I won't flip out in the least if none of that is touched!

Just don't give us more ATYCLB or similar!I Will Follow, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Out of Control, Twilight, Another Time, Another Place, Electric Co, The Ocean, Gloria, Two Hearts Beat As One, Surrender, Seconds, Wire, Bad, A Sort of Homecoming, In God's Country, Exit, Running To Standstill, Trip Through Your Wires, Hawkmoon 269, Love Rescue Me, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Zoo Station, Trying to throw..., 40, whatever, just play something good even if its not ideal like Gone or Please or LNOE.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I Will Follow, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Out of Control, Twilight, Another Time, Another Place, Electric Co, The Ocean, Gloria, Two Hearts Beat As One, Surrender, Seconds, Wire, Bad, A Sort of Homecoming, In God's Country, Exit, Running To Standstill, Trip Through Your Wires, Hawkmoon 269, Love Rescue Me, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Zoo Station, Trying to throw..., 40, whatever, just play something good even if its not ideal like Gone or Please or LNOE.

Every single song you mention in this paragraph, I would be more than thrilled to hear (yes, even IWF). Most of them are unlikely, but hey. Exit=ultimate pipe dream.
I think the setlists have been great, but I do agree with the "bit too much ATYCLB" sentiment. I'd really like them to play something, anything, pre-War. and of course, something from Pop...but I don't think Pop is likely either.

I was thinking specifically the other day of EBTTRT...they rehearsed it last year, so I think that's an actual possibility, and that would be sublime :happy:

Every single song you mention in this paragraph, I would be more than thrilled to hear (yes, even IWF). Most of them are unlikely, but hey. Exit=ultimate pipe dream.
I think the setlists have been great, but I do agree with the "bit too much ATYCLB" sentiment. I'd really like them to play something, anything, pre-War. and of course, something from Pop...but I don't think Pop is likely either.

I was thinking specifically the other day of EBTTRT...they rehearsed it last year, so I think that's an actual possibility, and that would be sublime :happy:

I Will Follow is almost like NYD in the sense that its a classic that always finds a way to be good. I couldn't see myself getting sick of it.

As for your comments on early 80s material, I am glad someone finally gets what I am talking about! I am not saying the songs I listed should take over the set list, just play a pair of them per night.

I think Two Hearts... and A Sort of Homecoming are realistic. Wire a maybe.

Yes, Exit is the ultimate pipe dream, but I really think if we are looking at JT that In God's Country has a fighting chance, and that would be enough for me!

I hope and actually do think that you are right about EBTTRT! That was primed for a comeback on legs 1 and 2, its more than ready now. It was played every night on Zoo and Pop and much more often than not on Elevation, so I think the entire Vertigo tour and half of 360 was more than enough time off! Great live song.

As for ATYCLB, I love the album and U2's 3rd dominant decade just plain would not have existed without it. However, they didn't even play as much of it as they did in 2009 at some Elevation shows, and it really does not fit the 360 stage. Nothing like having the 'lift off blast' energy being killed by the start of In A Little While or acoustic Stuck. Acoustic stuck I am just sick of and In A Little While can be played every night on the next arena tour for all I care. Elevation has been overplayed and has no business taking up a "rocker" spot that 11 O'Clock Tick Tock or Two Hearts Beat As One or Gone or Last Night on Earth could fill. BD is BD and it of course belongs and is a great song. Walk On I have always loved, and it belongs there because of recent developments in Burma that the band feels strongly about. So 2 is enough.

As much as the cynics will say "big changes" meant next to nothing when Zooropa opened up with nearly the same set list as Zoo inside and outside, I don't buy it. U2 were not in any danger of losing any of their status or relevance once AB was released. Just the opposite, they had gained a lot more respect and credibility and latitude. Now, the backlash is nailing them from all sides, even newspapers in U2 crazy Boston were giving 360 lukewarm reviews and the industry is just rubbing their hands together to put Coldplay in U2's spot. U2 knows damn well they can not afford to come out with 1 or 2 songs different and call it a new look.

The first rehearsal reports in a couple weeks should be very, very interesting!

My brother goes to U of Utah where the stadium is, and he has been tasked with getting himself up to speed on the entire catalogue so he can give accurate real time reports should they rehearse.

I just realized this thread was actually called "what songs should stay".

I think that TUF and UV must, must stay...unless they replace them with something equally unexpected and refreshing. Neither of those songs are really ones I would have ever expected to hear, especially not TUF. So, if they do replace them, I would really hope it would be with songs of similar wow factor.

I'm sure they'll keep the Crazy remix...but it's worth saying again that I hope they do!

What songs should stay? Well, out of all 37 songs played:

Bad
Crazy Tonight remix
Electrical Storm
New Year's Day
No Line On The Horizon
Stay
The Unforgettable Fire
Unknown Caller
Until The End Of The World
Your Blue Room

You know I'm serious. If you wanted, you could twist my arm into ticking off Party Girl, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Streets too. And Mysterious Ways will be welcomed back with open arms if they remember to play the solo.

What songs should stay? Well, out of all 37 songs played:

Bad
Crazy Tonight remix
Electrical Storm
New Year's Day
No Line On The Horizon
Stay
The Unforgettable Fire
Unknown Caller
Until The End Of The World
Your Blue Room

You know I'm serious. If you wanted, you could twist my arm into ticking off Party Girl, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Streets too. And Mysterious Ways will be welcomed back with open arms if they remember to play the solo.

I agree with most of this, except I would remove Stay and Crazy Tonight remix and put Ultra Violet and Moment of Surrender in there.

In my opinion, the songs that should stay:

Electrical Storm
No line on the horizon
Unknown caller
Your blue room
Ultraviolet
The Unforgettable Fire
(Bad/Party Girl/Until the end of the world should appear from time to time)

Everything else they can change and I wouldn't mind :)

Back
Top Bottom