What is the best crowd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ntalwar said:

I'm not sure I agree with that - on the Sao Paulo DVD they smiled to Miss Sarejevo, as opposed to crying to it :wink:. An emotional crowd would have cried to that song. And a lot of the other songs they jumped to. I believe some of the GA people also camped out for *3* nights to get a good spot. To me that's enthusiasm more than it is emotion.

Ya know but it's like the cameras dont get the right , u can ask anyone of the GA , which went to Sao Paulo 1 , most of the people were crying , all my friends who went to it , they said countless times , they saw most of people crying .

Though we often get a bad press, London U2 crowds have been very good to them over the years - specifically from Popmart forward. I'd still go with Dublin as the best crowd from the countries I've been to though (both sides of the Atlantic). I'd love to go and see them in South America one day, those audiences down there do look awesome.

fandangamoq said:
I believe even U2 have commented on the incredible nature of the Montreal crowds.

Maybe even Edmonton? Have you guys seen any of the Oilers games? Those folks are cer-azy!

~A.j.~

I work at a sports bar here in Winnipeg. We have been playing the games on t.v. you are right those crowds get pretty crazy. "lets go oilers, lets go!!!"

ntalwar said:

I'm not sure I agree with that - on the Sao Paulo DVD they smiled to Miss Sarejevo, as opposed to crying to it :wink:. An emotional crowd would have cried to that song. And a lot of the other songs they jumped to. I believe some of the GA people also camped out for *3* nights to get a good spot. To me that's enthusiasm more than it is emotion.

Yeah I know... enthusiasm, emotion whatever... The point I was trying to make is that I don't think we can elect a best crowd. To me the best crowd was the one at the show I went. To everyone else I'm sure it was the show they went to... People all over the world have different reactions depending on the culture, beliefs and even the weather of the country can make a certain difference... That doesn't mean they like the band more or less than the others do... They're just different;)

Annie_vox is damn right , but still :wink: Italian and South American crowds , meaning the latin blood crowds are the best.

The crowd at the Monterrey, Mexico show sucked.

Quiet and clueless.

I guess it depends on the city, rather than the "blood".

Since the DVD for the last 2 tours were filmed in the U.S...(Boston and Chicago),the IMAX show in Argentina (for South america)shot last March,Filming the DVD for the next tour in Canada is a huge possibility.And with the band love for Montreal and the crowd, i think Montreal has a very chance to be choosen.

annie_vox said:

That doesn't mean they like the band more or less than the others do... They're just different;)

I never said it meant they like U2 more or less. I was referring to sheer crowd energy, which is a huge factor. Jumping up and down to Pride In The Name of Love is an example.

And no, the shows I went to did not have the best crowds. Although the crowds were good in terms of energy.

Last edited:
Cigar said:
Since the DVD for the last 2 tours were filmed in the U.S...(Boston and Chicago),the IMAX show in Argentina (for South america)shot last March,Filming the DVD for the next tour in Canada is a huge possibility.And with the band love for Montreal and the crowd, i think Montreal has a very chance to be choosen.

I bet with all the USA lovin' we're getting a DVD from New York next tour.

can't say what the "best" crowd is, but the October 24, 2001 Elevation show in NYC had an incredibly emotional crowd... in fact, i believe that bono wrote "city of blinding lights" in part as a result of looking out over the post-9/11 MSG crowd when the houselights came up during "Walk On".

in fact, this is how bono introduced COBL when U2 played it on Top of the Pops in 2004:

"And uh, the chorus is that in Madison Square Gardens
Because we played there, we were the first band to go in
After all that awfulness happened
And uh, we had the lights on
Which are monsters you know, and anyways
People looked incredible, it's just bright white lights
After 9/11 people crying people laughing
It was amazing, one of the best shows of our life

And just, that's who thinking of when I sing
"You are so beautifu tonight"
So please don't be offended if I'm looking into
Into the middle distance
That was a great moment for us"

what a show- i still get chills when i listen to that bootleg...

Last edited:
Did this turned into another thread , of which place is getting a dvd ? Coz we do already have one .......

I would go with the Irish... even though I have never seen a show outside of the US... that Slane DVD seals it for me. I have heard though from multiple people that European crowds are the best. All I have to do is watch a European soccer (I'm sorry, football) match and I get an idea of a crowd's potential. That being said... MSG's crowd in October was absolutely incredible. And NJ had an awesome crowd in May (at least the 2nd show did). I also hate to admit that Boston can be nuts too. But this is definitely a biased thread... Americans will stick to their guns, Europeans and Australasians to theirs. Unless someone has actually been to pretty much every concert they have put on around the world, there is no clear cut answer.

norsehorse23 said:
I would go with the Irish... even though I have never seen a show outside of the US... that Slane DVD seals it for me. I have heard though from multiple people that European crowds are the best. All I have to do is watch a European soccer (I'm sorry, football) match and I get an idea of a crowd's potential. That being said... MSG's crowd in October was absolutely incredible. And NJ had an awesome crowd in May (at least the 2nd show did). I also hate to admit that Boston can be nuts too. But this is definitely a biased thread... Americans will stick to their guns, Europeans and Australasians to theirs. Unless someone has actually been to pretty much every concert they have put on around the world, there is no clear cut answer.

Well, I've been to 4 shows in 2 countries, 2 provinces, 1 state, and spanning three tours - I think I'm pretty qualified... Some call me the "go-to person on U2 live and the concert experience".

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Well, I've been to 4 shows in 2 countries, 2 provinces, 1 state, and spanning three tours - I think I'm pretty qualified... Some call me the "go-to person on U2 live and the concert experience".
:wink:

TRUST ME MONTREAL IS THE BEST OF THEM ALL.BONO IS ALLWAYS AS HIS BEST AND THE CROWD IS ON FIRE. JUST IMAGINE 25000 PEOPLE SINGING THE SAME SONG BUT VERY INTENSE.BONO WHILE HE WAS SINGING BUTIFUL DAY STOP AND SAID YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY AND WENT ON. IM TELLING YOU ITS BREATH TAKING. BY FAR MONTREAL HAS THE BEST CROWD IN THE WOURLD FOR U2

tazzaster said:
TRUST ME MONTREAL IS THE BEST OF THEM ALL.BONO IS ALLWAYS AS HIS BEST AND THE CROWD IS ON FIRE. JUST IMAGINE 25000 PEOPLE SINGING THE SAME SONG BUT VERY INTENSE.BONO WHILE HE WAS SINGING BUTIFUL DAY STOP AND SAID YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY AND WENT ON. IM TELLING YOU ITS BREATH TAKING. BY FAR MONTREAL HAS THE BEST CROWD IN THE WOURLD FOR U2
damn.. you convinced me :drool:

:laugh:

tazzaster said:

I can imagine (and remember) 60,000 doing this for 2 nights at Twickenham, 80,000 at Croke Park and 20,000 or so at MSG & Boston. I stick by Dublin as THE place to see U2. Next tour I'll be aiming for Italy & Spain to see what those places are like!

Peter said:
Belgians, of course :wink:

I was very disappointed by the crowd in Belgium.

The french people have impressed me, South America usually has great crowds which is also the case for most of the European countries.

The crowd of the two last US DVDs (Chicago and Boston) was not very good but that doesn't mean that it's the case for all the Amercian crowds.

The reason why Dublin is good is because of the press the concerts recieve before them. They are front page news in the weeks leading up to the concert so the majority of people there are there to hear the greates hits: I Will Follow, WTSHNN, PITNOL, SBS etc., so when these songs are played the whole place gets going, In other cities, yes, there will be some people who will like the greatest hits, but you will get more people who say "Not this fucking song again" when the hear songs like Pride or Bullet.

That said, I have never ever heard a "bad" crowd at a u2 concert, either side of the atlantic and if there ever was a "bad" crowd there I guarantee it would be all over this and other U2 forums.

Every crowd is so good that people from the cities come on an boast about having the best crowd:laugh:

Over the years I"ve seen them in London, Paris, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, New York, San Diego, Boston, Philadelphia and yes, I was even at the Slane concert (2nd one) in Dublin and although there's something magical about the Dublin shows, there's something very electric about the Montreal shows due to the sheer volume of the crowd so those two win my votes...

I'd have to say the prize goes to Montreal. I have heard members of U2 say that next to Slane, Montreal had the best crowd of the Elevation tour...and thats just an indoor arena!!

When I was in Montreal I went to see The Streets and the crowd were amazing. Just so loud! At one point, Mike Skinner stopped and said we were actually too loud! lol.

Best: Montreal
Worst: Brisbane (my home town :()

bono_man said:
I'd have to say the prize goes to Montreal. I have heard members of U2 say that next to Slane, Montreal had the best crowd of the Elevation tour...and thats just an indoor arena!!

When I was in Montreal I went to see The Streets and the crowd were amazing. Just so loud! At one point, Mike Skinner stopped and said we were actually too loud! lol.

Best: Montreal
Worst: Brisbane (my home town :()
But just one good Elevation crowd in Montreal doesn't mean that an outdoor gig will be amazing too :eyebrow:

I've been to Elevation in Cologne where Bono adressed the crowd as lowder than in America (whatever that means, bands say that stuff all the time) where the Popmart gig was disappointing!

What I'm saying is that for decades, shows in South America, Dublin (and yes Holland... But others too of course) are always amazing... Just pick any bootleg from any tour from one of these 3 countries and it's proved every time!

I'm not saying that Montreal doesn't have a great crowd... I'm just saying that these things should not be determined by just one gig or even one tour...

Neilz said:

I'm not saying that Montreal doesn't have a great crowd... I'm just saying that these things should not be determined by just one gig or even one tour...

It isnt one gig or one tour, or even one band for that matter. Montreal is known the world over for having amazingly loud crowds. As said earlier...almost too loud!!

Back
Top Bottom