what do you think inspired the band to make 'Kite' a closing song for their concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

believer75

War Child
'Kite' is a song that can translate to the listener on many different levels. I have thought of it as kind of a 'goodbye' song in many ways, but at the same time celebrating life, and looking at it from above. why do you think the band chose 'Kite' at this particular moment in their careers to close one of their concert shows?

they also wanted to do something different to make up for the long wait :)

I just am so glad they plyed it as I love Kite its one of my fave songs from the last 2 albums.

Its just touching and moving and also I think its kinda a song based on appreciation, love and loss

So I think its kinda of them saying even though the guys did say ( thanks for queing 3 times & waiting for us)
Australia has a special place in their heartsfor us.

It was fitting for all the 3 reasons i mentioned above, to be the closer& it left me wanting more. ( Call me a sentimental old fool)

Oh yes & i more thing I think over the years , fan appreciation fan growth is growing even more & will continue, so thats kinda part of it also.

The months of waiting, just vanished.

believer75 said:
I think so, too......do you think it is a better song to end with than '40' or 'Yahweh' or 'Walk On'?

40's better than Kite as a closer. Walk On's not. Yahweh never closed so you can't really compare them, though I'd say Kite would slay it.

With Yahweh, was it usually Yahweh, then into '40'? I believe that is how the one Vertigo show I was fortunate to see ended and it was fantastic......I can imagine that 'Kite' was also powerfully effective as a closer, and probably gave the overall tone of the concert a different feel as the lights came back on, and everyone exited the building. I would have loved to be there. 'Kite' is one of my favorite U2 songs.

believer75 said:
With Yahweh, was it usually Yahweh, then into '40'? I believe that is how the one Vertigo show I was fortunate to see ended and it was fantastic......

Yeah. Indoors, it was Yahweh then 40 or occasionaly Bad, and in Europe, it was Yahweh/Vertigo.

I can imagine that 'Kite' was also powerfully effective as a closer, and probably gave the overall tone of the concert a different feel as the lights came back on, and everyone exited the building. I would have loved to be there. 'Kite' is one of my favorite U2 songs.

Yeah, Kite definitely ended the show on a more upbeat note, with the emphasis on "I know this is not goodbye". It was a very good conclusion.

However, the lights stayed down so long that we started to wonder if they were going to come back for a third encore!

However, the lights stayed down so long that we started to wonder if they were going to come back for a third encore! [/B][/QUOTE]

How awesome would that have been!! I bet the atmosphere there was off the charts.....

Did they play any music over the loud speakers as people were leaving?

Perhaps part of the reasoning behind Kite as the closer is the theme of the song (fatherhood) and the alleged reason the tour was pushed back (i.e. Edge's daughter's health problems).

believer75 said:
How awesome would that have been!! I bet the atmosphere there was off the charts.....

It would have really sent the place nuts! The crowd had started up this chant of "how long to sing this song?", and had the band come out for 40, it would have really capped off the night perfectly.

Did they play any music over the loud speakers as people were leaving?

Yeah, when the lights came up, Streets Of Your Town by The Go-Betweens was played over the PA.

"40" is the ultimate closer, both on an album and at a concert but I'd love to be able see Kite live, let alone closing the show :drool: Walk On also works quite well.

I haven't heard a boot of a 5th leg show yet. But I can imagine Kite would be quite the powerful closer. It seems so obvious a choice now that they've done it. :wink: I can't imagine being there for it. If I could address the common "What should be U2's last song of their last concert ever" question, I'd probably say Kite. How perfect is it?

How many closers is that now...Bad, Vertigo, 40, Fast cars, WOWY, AIWIY, Kite.

Did I miss anything and is that the record for closers re: U2 tours?

Re: what do you think inspired the band to make 'Kite' a closing song for their concert?

believer75 said:
'Kite' is a song that can translate to the listener on many different levels. I have thought of it as kind of a 'goodbye' song in many ways, but at the same time celebrating life, and looking at it from above. why do you think the band chose 'Kite' at this particular moment in their careers to close one of their concert shows?

To be honest, I think it's the perfect closer for this tour as it goes with the themes of innocence and mortality.

And it sounds good.

Just my 2 cents...

#KIWIMOFO# said:
Last night Bono said as he closed (correct me if I am wrong someone) "Some times there are times for surprises, tonight isnt one of those- good night" I thought that was odd.

Did he say that before or after 'Kite'?

TripThroughWire said:

But "I want you to know that you don't need me anymore" = they will not come back ...

Sure, that line is there, but he hasn't been emphasising it. Bono, especially in Brisbane, has been emphasising "I know that this is not goodbye" right at the end of the song, and last night at Sydney II, he added that it won't be so long before they come back (though he's said that before, heh). Certainly seems like they have every intention to keep going. So stop with the pointless naysaying.

IMO, Kite really didn't work. Personally, i do love that song but, it just didn't work either night.
As the song progresses, one of the roadies slowly lets up some large balloons with a kite attached from the B-stage on Adam's side.
Bono makes his way down the end of the stage and on the first night in Sydney he was using a cigarette lighter to release it. The wind blew that out and he struggeld with his teeth and then hands to try and break he string. I didn't see what was eventually used but the kite was finally released, only to get caught for a while on the main screen, near the speaker stack. All the while the band are just playing, there is no real purpose in the music at this stage.
Eventually the kite released from the screen, and then the band changed tempo and wrapped it up.
On the second night Bono took the kite from the Bstage up to the main stage only for the kite to drop into the first few rows of the crowd! Eventually, the crowd released the string and the kite slowly lifted out of the stadium ( a nice suprise to find in your backyard!).
In both instances, because the band waited for the kite to go, the song became second, which - as much as i love the theatre of what they are doing - should not happen.
Musically, the introduction of the didj was great! Maybe it would have worked as the last song before an encore - but not sure where they would have put that (after WOWY??).

Hokusai said:
( a nice suprise to find in your backyard!).

I was thinking that. Somewhere over the weekend people were waking up in the outer suburbs of Sydney to find kites attached to big deflated balloons in their backyard ("What the fuck?!?"). In a perfect world it's a U2 fan waking up to that ("WHAT THE FUCK!!!!???!!!")

I think kite is a beautiful closer...also echoing the statment 'i know that this is not goodbye' but also don't forget, they are shoving in a lot of leave behind material as we didn't get to see it! The fact that i thought i'd never hear Walk On, Kite or Stuck and now i have...is one of pure happiness!

Though i agree, the kite thing at the end is shit and needs to be scrapped....

Only reasons Kite has been brought back is partly for the surprise factor and more so for the fact that we had no Elevation tour here down under....that's why we are getting a substantial representation from ATYCLB.

We got no Elevation tour, so this is U2's way of "making up" for it..

Who knows, Walk On might close one of the upcoming shows, and it wouldn't surprise me and I would personally prefer that...

Though I would rather Yahweh/40 or Gloria to close...

New York would be a nice surprise though...

U2girl said:
How many closers is that now...Bad, Vertigo, 40, Fast cars, WOWY, AIWIY, Kite.

Did I miss anything and is that the record for closers re: U2 tours?

:bump: Axver? Did Lovetown have more closers?

Back
Top Bottom