What do you love about Vertigo 2005?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been a fan since '84...this is the first time i saw them live. Tuesday in Chicago...it was great but then Thursday in Chicago was INCREDIBLE!! From the interaction with the crowd to closing with a song that is just special to me (probably to others too)...Bad...with a mix of 40!
Gloria
The Ocean
Yahweh

Cant wait 'til 5/22!!! Then again in Oct!!

:dance:

I loved every single last song that they played. They're all unique in their own way. Being a newbie to their concerts, Pride, Streets, and One were highlights for me.

The opening with City of Blinding Lights. Magical

Seeing Adam's smile as he walked along the catwalk. So genuine.

Seeing Bono crawl around on the catwalk during An Cat Dubh

How Bono brought the two little girls on stage and walked them around so they could wave.

The great lighting for the concert

Love and Peace or Else, Live. It was one I played sometimes on the cd, and other times skipped over to get to COBL, but Ill definitely be playing it more after hearing it Live, it was wonderful.

Seeing Edge rock out on the guitar :drool:

It was all great though. I have no complaints(other than I wish I could have been in the ellipse)

I love the love, the peace, zoo Station, the Fly, Yahweh, 40 !!!
the slot machince before Zoo Station...the killer sound,, the love the peace! the love the peace the love the peace, the city of blinding lights, the love the peace!!! peace the peace the peace ha ha ha ha ...ACHTUNG YA'LL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the sound creeps down into your mind, you wanna break away, the lights spiriling into the crowd that take you away. You wanna take it in but the thirst is what what you crave. The butane lights the crowded sky as you see him point to you, reaching out to the the one that made your soul dreams come true......
phew, I just wrote that on a whim listening to that Fly from Miami, damn

I too have been a fan since 1983 and it was my first time seeing them live. So for me i loved everything about it!
Some highlights, though were hearing some of the old classics like "Gloria", "New Year's Day", "Bad", and "Pride".
The light show was amazing!
And the sound! Wow, I have never been to a concert with such clear sound and a band that sounded so perfect. And Bono's voice was super.
I loved the way Adam would watch Bono as he went here and there all over the stage. It was like he was thinking, "I wonder what he'll do next..."
Seeing Larry out front on that drum for "Love and Peace" was great! So cool!! That song is amazing in concert...
Loved the opening of "City of Blinding Lights" with the lights flashing and confetti falling...
And the way they ended the evening with "40" - I loved how they left the stage one at a time... powerful..
What a night... I sure wish I was seeing more shows this tour like so many others are... Come to western Canada again!!!
:heart:

1) New songs sound great
2) Setlist is tight and smooth
3) Non-singles sounding great on tour- Boy songs, zoo station, RTSS
4) Creative snippets
5) The energy

The old stuff is okay. The really old stuff is so so. I was hoping that they would play every song of their current cd. Other bands do that I think it's great to hear songs live that they may never see the light of day again. It seems that some people are trying to relive the last tour and with stuff they played 20 years ago. This is 2005 and How to Build An Atomic Bomb is their current cd and they should focus on that and move on though I'm not averse to an occasional oldie.

slimJim said:
The old stuff is okay. The really old stuff is so so. I was hoping that they would play every song of their current cd. Other bands do that I think it's great to hear songs live that they may never see the light of day again. It seems that some people are trying to relive the last tour and with stuff they played 20 years ago. This is 2005 and How to Build An Atomic Bomb is their current cd and they should focus on that and move on though I'm not averse to an occasional oldie.
sorry the what you dont like about the tour thread is down below somewhere

sorry that was actually a joke, since the abuse i have been getting,

i'll get me coat

martha said:
They played almost every song from the new record. What show did you see? :scratch:

Most bands play a mix of old and new, just like U2 does.

A Man and A Woman and Crumbs from Your Table and a couple other songs I think weren’t played. They played Vertigo twice which was cool but they could have subbed another song in it's place and rotate the oldies between shows and play their current songs every night. It doesn’t seem fair to have to shell out more money on another show just to hear one song that wasn’t played the night before. I can't afford that anyway. I'm not ragging on the band but just expressing my opinion. What they played was okay.

It appears that you haven't seen many concerts, let alone U2 concerts. A Man, Crumbs, and OOTS were the only songs from the new record that weren't played at the shows I've seen.

What bands have you seen that play only new stuff and no old stuff? And bands with only one album out don't count, since it can only be new stuff for them.

I'm just downloading Chicago 4... At the end of ABOY, some guy yelled out "I love you, Bonooooooooo"!

Man, the last I heard that was circa '87 boots! Or was ZooTV? Can't remember, but I know I heard it before.

It's great. Priceless. :ohmy: :applaud:

Last edited:
I saw 3 other shows around the same time I saw U2: Bruce played 9 out of the 12 songs on his new record and the other 17 were oldies. Tori Amos did not even play half of her new record, and Wilco also played all but about 3 songs from theirs. That's pretty standard

A Man & A Woman would have been a serious buzzkiller.

I know what you mean, slimjim, about some songs getting played now or never but it's just not going to happen--or at least not all on the same night.

Last edited:
I :heart:
Adam walking around and smiling alot more
Larry singing on LAPOE
The Edge's vocals
Bono's dorky jokes.

BAD :drool:
PHOENIX 2 Is what I REALLY love.

I also love how there was such a VARIETY of fans there:wink:

joyfulgirl said:
I saw 3 other shows around the same time I saw U2: Bruce played 9 out of the 12 songs on his new record and the other 17 were oldies. Tori Amos did not even play half of her new record, and Wilco also played all but about 3 songs from theirs. That's pretty standard

A Man & A Woman would have been a serious buzzkiller.

I know what you mean, slimjim, about some songs getting played now or never but it's just not going to happen--or at least not all on the same night.

Yeah, you're probably right about number of songs bands usually play. I must of lost track with all the other crap going on at the show and maybe I'm a freak for liking A Man and A Woman. It's my 2nd favorite song off their new cd and was bummed when it wasn’t played, though they managed to play my favorite song twice. That was cool and kinda weird at the same time. I’ve seen that with new bands but not bands that have been around as long as they have, judging by the two toasted grannies dancing in my section. That was cool and kinda weird too.

I love the fact that this was my very first concert! :love:
- Edge's amazing guitar sound/solos and singing
- Just seeing Edge in particular :drool:
- Hearing songs played live
- Singing 40 with 20,000 other people
- hearing Bad, Electric Co, Gloria, Zoo Station...the whole freaking setlist :drool:
- Counting 1,2,3,14 in Vertigo
- The light curtains
- Watching Bono reject a girl during Yahweh in Vancouver :lol:

The whole concert and experience in general was absolutely amazing!!! :love:

u2head said:
I'm just downloading Chicago 4... At the end of ABOY, some guy yelled out "I love you, Bonooooooooo"!

Man, the last I heard that was circa '87 boots! Or was ZooTV? Can't remember, but I know I heard it before.

It's great. Priceless. :ohmy: :applaud:

theres another guy, sounds the same, I think on the 4/25 Seattle show...during the entire show he's yelling 'yeah baby' and 'play the rock and rollll' or some other thing..lol..

-the re-emergence of "Electric Co" and "Running to Stand Still".

-the way Edge goes out on the ellipse and goes crazy with his "electric co" solo.

-the lighting, especially at the United Center where all of the venue lights were being used because of the DVD shooting.

-the bit with the cell phones during "ONE" when they light up the arena and Bono has all the stage lights turned off.

-return of 40, how Bono flashes the light on the crowd, the band walks off the stage one by one, and then larry stands still for a little bit, and then does a drum solo before leaving.

-Vertigo and most of the new songs live

-Adam Clayton...enough said

The Light Curtains, but of course!!! Just look at how amazing Vertigo is, for example. A great song, but fully realized with the lights, the stage, and especially, the curtains. They should use them for every song. Sorry for those people behind the stage! :D

1. My first (but not last, can't wait to do it again on 9/20) GA experience
2. Bad
3. 40
4. The fake out (don't know how else to describe it?) at the beginning of Elevation
5. Vertigo, sometimes twice :)
6. An Cat Dubh (you didn't think I'd leave that out, look at my name!)
7. That this wonderful, wonderful group of people not only continues to make music, but comes out so joyfully every show to perform it live for us. Please let it go on forever.

oh I forgot one...

FRIGGIN AWESOME "wake up" arcade fire. That song rocks and I hope they are still usin' it when they come back around in the fall...

I've now seen 8 shows, here are my favorite parts of the tour, in no particular order:

Being lucky enough to go in the first place.
Electric Co kicking ass like it was some crazy new song.
Zoo Station's drums.
How the crowd and the band are so very into Vertigo.
Bad popping up for the 1st time with me in attendance in Phoenix.
Being the source twice <I like bringing joy to the set list party, what can I say? :)>
The beauty of An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
Wanting Elevation to go away but singing along to it every time anyway.
Reading all the positive interferencer stories. It makes me happy to no end to see how many people love the band like I do.
The return of 40.
Bad closing the show in lieu of 40.
COBL opening the show.
I'll stop there.

I was just listening to Elevation from the show I was at (5/7), and had to say how much I *love* the variation they're doing...
Edge's work is just so fucking sexy on it!

Anyone else who loves it too...feel free to help me find some words for it?
Had me blissfully in awe at the show and soo happy to hear the boot..
cheers all...

Back
Top Bottom