US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AZ just passed the harshest anti-abortion law in the country. The signatures have been gathered to put it on the ballot. Chalk this state up for Biden. Keep on going Republicans!

Biden lost FL last time by 3.5% The average that abortion ballot measures have exceeded the polling preceding the vote is almost 10 points. We see Alabama with a candidate with a pro abortion platform better Biden's showing in that district by almost 30 points.

I know it's Florida. But recreational weed is also on the ballot, and there seems to be mounting backlash in the state against Desantis and his woke/book banning crusade. together it could make for a very interesting night in FL.

AZ just passed the harshest anti-abortion law in the country. The signatures have been gathered to put it on the ballot. Chalk this state up for Biden. Keep on going Republicans!

Biden lost FL last time by 3.5% The average that abortion ballot measures have exceeded the polling preceding the vote is almost 10 points. We see Alabama with a candidate with a pro abortion platform better Biden's showing in that district by almost 30 points.

I know it's Florida. But recreational weed is also on the ballot, and there seems to be mounting backlash in the state against Desantis and his woke/book banning crusade. together it could make for a very interesting night in FL.
I keep telling people. How Florida goes might be a really good indicator for the rest of the night, even if Trump carries the state. If it's a much narrower margin, that can only mean good things. If Biden wins Florida, it'll be a very early celebration as well.

You ever find it odd that there's this extreme uproar from mostly younger people about Israel/Gaza nearly weeks after Israel started it's counter attack? Where were these people when Syria was getting obliterated? How about Myanmar or Sudan?
also, there are no Jews in Myanmar or Sudan and they were all kicked out of Syria decades ago.

i dislike Bibi and the Israeli right as much as anyone and i feel acute despair over Gaza and objections to Israeli policies is not anti-semitism. but one doom scroll through what has become Twitter and the rank anti-semitism is shocking, and shared by the far right and the far left, albeit in different ways. and i think, as you say, that these are accounts from Russian-funded troll farms. but they put the money there because they know that anti-semitism sells.

my Israeli friends (and i do have them) largely feel most betrayed by the leftists they stood by and marched with through BLM and pro-LGBTQ+ movements, only to turn around and see "Queers for Palestine" when they know full well what Hamas does to gay men in Gaza (they get thrown off buildings or dragged behind motorcycles).

i'm not a fancy mathematician or anything like that - but i'm going to go out on a limb and say that these are reversed.

GKzsIQeXcAAPNO5

everything else makes sense - but the idea that the Olds perfer Biden and the Youngs prefer Trump just seems, well, batshit crazy.

i'm not a fancy mathematician or anything like that - but i'm going to go out on a limb and say that these are reversed.

GKzsIQeXcAAPNO5

everything else makes sense - but the idea that the Olds perfer Biden and the Youngs prefer Trump just seems, well, batshit crazy.
The only reason I might not call it completely crazy yet is that I do feel like there are a lot of kids (well technically adults but they feel like kids to me) that just aren't paying attention other than the crazy shit they hear on TikTok. For example, we had to tell my early 20's sister in law that no, Joe Biden is not a dictator and was not responsible for January 6th. A lot of them just aren't educated on current issues.

It's easy to look at polls and feel unease, but then every single poll seems to have something off about it.

We've still got a long way to go and more madness ahead. Assuming that Trumps NYC trial does actually happen, and if he's found guilty.....you'd think that would favor Biden.

Then it's getting through the summer without the cost of gas going up.

It's easy to look at polls and feel unease, but then every single poll seems to have something off about it.

We've still got a long way to go and more madness ahead. Assuming that Trumps NYC trial does actually happen, and if he's found guilty.....you'd think that would favor Biden.

Then it's getting through the summer without the cost of gas going up.
The NYC Trial starts next week. He will be found guilty, and according to the polls that have asked the question about Trump being a felon, it's clear that it will heavily affect him.

And gas prices will go up this summer, but that won't impact Biden that much. The people who are already blaming inflation on him already have their minds made up.

Have read this take in multiple threads. Sounds like this will be the crux of the case. Is it a felony or lesser degree ?

GKzsIQeXcAAPNO5

Not necessarily. Many young voters really see it as a choice between two evils. See also this article: Young voters aren't warming up to Biden. They know it means Trump could win again.

And older voters may be a bit more conservative, many people who were very liberal in the '90s are seniors nowadays. Saw it mentioned not long ago, Madonna is now in that 65+ age bracket. Magic Johnson (and also Bono, though not a US citizen) will be soon as well. So liberals get older and remain liberal. Or if they're not liberal, they understand the threat of Trump (whereas young voters may say, I don't like Biden's stance on <x> so then I'll vote for that other guy. Even if he's worse, burn it all down so we can build it up again.)

i don’t get the let’s burn it down to build back up.

How exactly does that work ? Is there a timeframe ? So Trump gets in and let’s go worst case, the GQP become authoritarian/dictatorship. Is this a one year thing? Are these lefties gonna become the new rebellion and take down the Death Star ??

Someone in their 20s and wanting this to happen would mean their entire life would be under this rule. And while pain, suffering, and injustice are horrible things (inevitable with pain)….why would the rebuilt government or society be any different than before ?

Medicare for all gonna just be there from the start ? Greed and hatred just goes away cause we really messed up last time you guys!!

Progress is slow. Life is so much better for most of the world than it was 50-100 years ago. Our fight is one with the usual suspects. Greed, hatred, and delusion.

All we can do is our best to elect people
Who want to provide the best future possible within rules and laws of a society.

Burn it down means you’ve given up

i don't even understand what she's saying. "you failed to fully protect me from these people, so i'm going to stop you from preventing them from actually killing me."

Trying to find the actual article haha

I see a lot of replies about “go ahead and shame them…see if that works”

Actually nothing will work. If someone cannot work out the logic themselves, then presenting it to them nicely or condescendingly prob gets you no where either. Think you at least try the former.

I’d like to know what exactly someone like this is looking for ? Have their entire college loan forgiven ? Would that be it ? Be able to afford a big house at the age of 24…..which I’m not sure has ever been a thing in our history….

make DoorDash and avocado toast cheaper ?

The Palestine stuff is so clearly a foreign driven ops over social media. Of all the atrocities committed every year, this is the cause that really engages the youths ???

I’m not downplaying the crisis at all. It’s horrible. Seems to be the worst it’s been in what feels like forever. Yet nothing for Ukraine ? They’re literally going thru a genocide and one half of our government is also complicit….

I think the media is doing its best to highlight the outliers more than the the general consensus, as they usually do. Why? Because it makes for a more dramatic story.

In the end, I expect the younger population to vote the way they normally do. They aren't stupid - these kids in a lot of ways are more intelligent than we were at that age. They'll continue to push for what they think is right in the long run but understand the short term implications as well.

In all seriousness though, the media is fucking stupid for airing his daily "outside the courtroom campaign speeches". Biden should schedule speeches at the same exact time and force the media to air his speech instead of Donald's.

Back
Top Bottom