US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DoorDash discourse on Twitter is my favorite current discourse.
It is a fascinating read haha. You see some very extreme opinions and views of life over this idea of delivery service.

I walked to a McDonalds and ate there....life changing!! People should go out more!
vs
Some people can't risk dying of covid by sitting in a restaurant for 30 mins!!! We are in a raging pandemic and NO ONE CARES!!!
vs
I have a self diagnosed (from TikTok) form of dynamic disabilities. Some days I can run 30 straight miles carrying a backpack of 100lbs weights. Followed by a swim in the ocean. Other days my disability kicks in and all I see is darkness. How can I operate a microwave in such condition? DoorDash saves me!!!

That is probably the first time I've ever seen Jim Jordan stumble like that, which leads me to a broader point. The media has just been awful at figuring out how to ask these idiots questions. The more simple and direct the question, the more trouble they have.

So a Democrat just won a special election 1. In Alabama 2. In a +31 Trump district 3. by 24 points

She ran as a pro-choice, pro-IVF candidate.

What a fraud

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

It’s my favorite book. It’s a lot of people’s favorite book,” he said.

“Religion and Christianity are the biggest things missing from this country, and I truly believe that we need to bring them back,” he added. “It’s one of the biggest problems we have. That’s why our country’s going haywire — we’ve lost religion in our country.”

So a Democrat just won a special election 1. In Alabama 2. In a +31 Trump district 3. by 24 points

She ran as a pro-choice, pro-IVF candidate.
Well, I do believe the district voted for Trump in 2020 by +2 or +3 (and not +31). Still, she lost by 7 points in 2022 and won by 24 points this year, so that is quite a swing.

It is a fascinating read haha. You see some very extreme opinions and views of life over this idea of delivery service.

I walked to a McDonalds and ate there....life changing!! People should go out more!
vs
Some people can't risk dying of covid by sitting in a restaurant for 30 mins!!! We are in a raging pandemic and NO ONE CARES!!!
vs
I have a self diagnosed (from TikTok) form of dynamic disabilities. Some days I can run 30 straight miles carrying a backpack of 100lbs weights. Followed by a swim in the ocean. Other days my disability kicks in and all I see is darkness. How can I operate a microwave in such condition? DoorDash saves me!!!

I like, "there are people who are so disabled that they can't read the directions on the back of a microwave pot pie nor do they have the opposable thumbs necessary to undo the packaging! think about them you ableist fucks!"

and yet these people have phones to order DoorDash and don't live under 24-hour supervision.

that said, if you are having your morning coffee and bagel DD'd to you, you should pay a hefty service fee because, honestly, that's stupid.

(I never go out for coffee unless it's a social thing -- I make way better coffee at home)

It's clear that shame does not exist anymore in the MAGA party. Their entire playbook is to just lie, lie, and lie some more because there's no consequence. They are interested in clicks and interviews within their media bubble.

The Republicans that do feel a little bit of shame or decency, they're all dropping out. Taking higher paid gigs in private industry or retiring altogether.

It's kinda scary to know that in a two party system one of those parties is full on nihilistic crazy. There's no negotiating with a party that wants death and destruction. Maybe it's how the GOP gets rebuilt assuming they get destroyed at the polls forcing either a new party to emerge that can bring some sane conservative discourse back.

Some people freaked out because Biden's social media accounts posted about Transgender Visibility Day on Easter Sunday. They also posted an Easter message in a separate post.

Transgender Visibility Day is on March 31st every year, whereas the date of Easter Sunday changes every year. But who cares about facts.

I say good for them for posting about it and not gaf about the freakouts.

Some people freaked out because Biden's social media accounts posted about Transgender Visibility Day on Easter Sunday. They also posted an Easter message in a separate post.

Transgender Visibility Day is on March 31st every year, whereas the date of Easter Sunday changes every year. But who cares about facts.

I say good for them for posting about it and not gaf about the freakouts.

I did understand the objection to how Biden made Christians personally hand out puberty blockers to trans kids and pay for them.

oh, wait. he didn't? sure sounded like it.

World Central Kitchen aid workers killed by Israel, just for bringing food to people in Gaza. This needs to stop, the US government needs to stop funding it.

Humanitarian aid is being targeted, it's not accidental or "collateral damage"

"Stop using food as a weapon. Peace starts with our shared humanity"

Screenshot_20240402-042654-799.pngScreenshot_20240402-042315-253.png

World Central Kitchen has to report all details about their work there to the IDF, just as all other humanitarian aid organizations have to. Their locations are 100 percent known by the IDF and the government of Israel. Their vehicles are all required to be marked, and their movements are known.

They want to kill and eliminate humanitarian aid there in order to eliminate the Palestinian people, that is the apparent truth. World Central Kitchen is a heroic organization, and they are now most likely to pause or end their work in Gaza because of this.

Bless all the heroes of WCK and all other humanitarian orgs who have lost their lives trying to help the innocent people in Gaza.

She’s basically doing just enough to not get appealed. Also reading some of the other lawyers opinions, even if he appeals or requests recusal, it just doesn’t happen.

They had to know she was gonna get this case.

Thank you to Headache in a suitcase for inviting me to this thread.

The alternative is a 77 year old who's trying to end democracy and has been shitting in a diaper for years. He's a convicted fraudster multiple times over, and has been found civilly liable for sexual assault. That's not to mention his many other allegations of sexual assault, or the fact that his ex wife, who he buried at his golf course btw, who said he raped her in her book.

Oh, with a family history of dementia. And who was the least qualified president in American history 8 years ago, and did nothing to not live up to that title in his four years on the job. But I digress.

I believe the majority of Americans would prefer younger, better options. But this is what we've got.

Alas - FYM is the place for this conversation, not here. So, like, do it there. People will engage.

1) I am a Brit and not American. I thought that my post made it clear when I made a point in the other thread that U2 were Irish and not American.

2) one of my TV highlights last year along with the Eurovision Song Contest being hosted in Liverpool, the relaunch of Big Brother after a 5 year break, the live footage of the animal rising protest at the Grand National was Channel 4 New's live broadcast of a door in New York complete with running commentary from Krishnan Guru Murphy and analysis from his guests. It was all to do with Trump making an appearance at a court in New York for some very serious charges.

People have said that he could still be nominated for Republican candidate and even become president even if he is charged and goes to prison. How can that be?

Copying the following from the political tangent that occurred over in EYKIW and pasting it here. Just because this is so astoundingly absurd.

Just to inject some reality. Biden is showing normal signs of aging. along with his regular speech that gets a little hung up from the stutter.

You're fucking kidding, right? You think these are just momentary memory lapses from age? Minor misremembering?

He said he crossed the Maryland bridge by train. The bridge has never been equipped with train tracks.
He claimed he travelled 17,000 miles with Xi Jinping when he was VP. Not true.
He referred to John McCain as "my predecessor."
He said he went to Delaware State when he went to the University of Delaware.
He said he "recently" met with the French President who died almost 30 years ago.
He said he taught four years at the University of Pennsylvania. He's never taught one day there.
He said his son died in Iraq. He didn't.

I could go on, but there's no point because you're all so far up his ass. The average person might take two or three seconds to recall what they had for dinner last night, for example. Happens to all of us. Not a big deal. But to think that's the same as what is happening to Biden? Anyone who thinks that is as fucking delusional as he is.

Why you all didn't dump him and Harris in favor of someone like Newsom is beyond me. He's certainly a giant asshole and has destroyed California more than it already was, but he can at least play the role of a somewhat serious candidate- unlike Biden, Harris, Buttigieg, Warren, or pretty much anyone from the 2020 shit-show of candidates.

I'm not a fan of Trump. In 2016, of the 17 Republicans running, he was probably my 15th favorite- only because of my severe dislike of Santorum and Huckabee. This time, he was again near the bottom of my preferences. I would have gladly taken most of the other candidates. But it is what it is. I can say, though, that nothing short of death will prevent me from voting for him. And that's the mistake your side is making. You think that everyone who is voting for Trump is some MAGA-hat-wearing, Trump flag-flying, "Trump is Jesus" weirdo. (There were lots of nutjobs who thought Obama was practically Jesus, too, if you'll recall). No. There are millions of people who don't like either, but will be voting for Trump because the current guy is such a fucking disaster. But if you all want to keep your head in the sand and talk your make-believe about how "Trump doesn't have the numbers to win" or something, please be my guest. If you want to mock peoples' concerns about the high price of groceries, be my guest. Have you seen Biden's terrible numbers? Have you seen the shift among Hispanics and African-Americans in the polls? Not a winning strategy.

Also, as I've said before- PLEASE keep running on the "threat to democracy" bullshit. Because nobody is buying it. It's your side that wants to pack the Supreme Court to 15 people when you don't get your way. It's your side that equates speech they don't like with violence. It's your side that advocates abolishing the police. It's your side that condones arson, looting, and property destruction if that's what it takes to right some perceived wrong. It's your side that wants to kick your political opponents off the ballot. And it's your side that is already laying out a plan for how to not certify a potential Trump victory. (All of this, of course, in the spare time you have in between your tireless advocacy for mutilating children). So fucking spare me about "destroying our country".

But whatever. The five or six regular posters that are left here can carry on with your little circle jerk of how awesome Biden is. You all might as well shut this forum down and just turn this into a group text at this point.

Copying the following from the political tangent that occurred over in EYKIW and pasting it here. Just because this is so astoundingly absurd.

You're fucking kidding, right? You think these are just momentary memory lapses from age? Minor misremembering?

He said he crossed the Maryland bridge by train. The bridge has never been equipped with train tracks.
He said he "recently" met with the French President who died almost 30 years ago.
He said he taught four years at the University of Pennsylvania. He's never taught one day there.

I could go on, but there's no point because you're all so far up his ass. The average person might take two or three seconds to recall what they had for dinner last night, for example. Happens to all of us. Not a big deal. But to think that's the same as what is happening to Biden? Anyone who thinks that is as fucking delusional as he is.

Why you all didn't dump him and Harris in favor of someone like Newsom is beyond me. He's certainly a giant asshole and has destroyed California more than it already was, but he can at least play the role of a somewhat serious candidate- unlike Biden, Harris, Buttigieg, Warren, or pretty much anyone from the 2020 shit-show of candidates.

I'm not a fan of Trump. In 2016, of the 17 Republicans running, he was probably my 15th favorite- only because of my severe dislike of Santorum and Huckabee. This time, he was again near the bottom of my preferences. I would have gladly taken most of the other candidates. But it is what it is. I can say, though, that nothing short of death will prevent me from voting for him. And that's the mistake your side is making. You think that everyone who is voting for Trump is some MAGA-hat-wearing, Trump flag-flying, "Trump is Jesus" weirdo. (There were lots of nutjobs who thought Obama was practically Jesus, too, if you'll recall). No. There are millions of people who don't like either, but will be voting for Trump because the current guy is such a fucking disaster. But if you all want to keep your head in the sand and talk your make-believe about how "Trump doesn't have the numbers to win" or something, please be my guest. If you want to mock peoples' concerns about the high price of groceries, be my guest. Have you seen Biden's terrible numbers? Have you seen the shift among Hispanics and African-Americans in the polls? Not a winning strategy.

Also, as I've said before- PLEASE keep running on the "threat to democracy" bullshit. Because nobody is buying it. It's your side that wants to pack the Supreme Court to 15 people when you don't get your way. It's your side that equates speech they don't like with violence. It's your side that advocates abolishing the police. It's your side that condones arson, looting, and property destruction if that's what it takes to right some perceived wrong. It's your side that wants to kick your political opponents off the ballot. And it's your side that is already laying out a plan for how to not certify a potential Trump victory. (All of this, of course, in the spare time you have in between your tireless advocacy for mutilating children). So fucking spare me about "destroying our country".

But whatever. The five or six regular posters that are left here can carry on with your little circle jerk of how awesome Biden is. You all might as well shut this forum down and just turn this into a group text at this point.
Actually, people are buying the "threat to democracy", proven by the amount of Republicans who are leaving their party, abruptly leaving congress, etc. So yes, we will run on that and we will win on that. Why? Because it's 100% true.

I welcome your AI generated closet MAGA response.

It's your side that wants to pack the Supreme Court to 15 people when you don't get your way.
Yeah remember the whole gentlemen's agreement that you don't replace a Supreme Court member in an election year? That's why we're here, because your side broke that which ended up destroying women's rights.
It's your side that equates speech they don't like with violence. It's your side that advocates abolishing the police.
"Defund the FBI". "We're the party of law and order and we care about police, well except for the ones who were harmed on January 6th"
It's your side that condones arson, looting, and property destruction if that's what it takes to right some perceived wrong.
January 6th
It's your side that wants to kick your political opponents off the ballot.
Yeah because they incited an insurrection on January 6th. Yeah, you care about political violence and police though.
And it's your side that is already laying out a plan for how to not certify a potential Trump victory. (All of this, of course, in the spare time you have in between your tireless advocacy for mutilating children).
Prove it with tangible evidence.
So fucking spare me about "destroying our country".
Fucking spare me with your hypocrisy, which I gently pointed out above. :)

wooooooo man where do we even begin.

i don't think anyone here actually wants Biden to run again. but it's who we have. and when presented with the alternative? uh, yea. it's the best choice. by a country mile. so please save your "circle jerk" comments, and instead? how about you engage. like actually engage - not do drive by postings.

so yes - let's engage.

yes - biden has gaffes. lots of them. ones that make you question his mental acuity.
yes - biden is too old and should not be running for president.

the problem with you, as someone who is clearly a conservative voter, making that argument is this.

yes - trump has gaffes. lots of them. ones that make you question his mental acuity.
yes - trump is too old and should not be running for president.

we've had this thing of late in this country where if you question whether or not someone of a certain age should hold certain jobs everyone screams "AGEISM!!"

ageism is when you fire a 58 year old who is still perfectly capable of doing their job to hire a 28 year old instead. ageism is not questioning whether people long past the age of retirement should be running the country. it's absurd that either of these guys are running. it was absurd FOUR YEARS AGO that either of these guys were running. and that goes for bernie sanders, mcconnell, pelosi... they're ALL too old, on both sides of the aisle.

but making the argument that Biden is too old, but ignoring the clear fact that Trump is as well, is the peak of hypocrisy.

so - uh - yea. the whole "nobody can acknowledge it because we're too far up his ass" thing? aside from not being necessary in an actual conversation... how about you hold a mirror to that comment. i don't think we need a highlight real of Trump's gaffes and forgetful moments, but one can certainly be provided if needs be.

joe biden DOES actually have a stutter - and yes, he has had moments where the stutter shows his entire political career. just because he's also old now doesn't make that a lie. but it's definetly not the only reason why he's showing decline. he is. so is trump. so is pelosi. so is mcconnell. they're ALL too old.

your comments on newsome and other candidates aren't worth a discussion - as you seem to simply believe any democratic candidate sucks. i look at someone like Buttigieg and see how he performs on Fox News and i see someone who has appeal. could you point to a reason why he wouldn't? i can't think of one.

as for what old man biden has actually accomplished?

he soft landed the economy. COVID was/is as destabilizing an event as we've seen in our nation's history. it's absolutely up there with the housing crash of 2008. and yes - supply chain and inflation was a huge issue, and continues to be an issue. there's no denying that.

but the economy didn't crash.

and everyone predicted it. every financial analyst thought recession was inevitable. and it didn't happen.

our economy has recovered better than pretty much every other major economy around the globe. with joe biden in office.

supply chain and inflation is NOT the only cause of higher prices at the grocery store. there are fewer options, fewer small businesses or independent grocers. the consolidation of this industry to a small number of huge companies inevitably means that your local grocer is more concerned with profits and stock prices than they were 10-20-30 years ago.

trump spoke over and over again about infrastructure. how many friggin infrastructure weeks did we have under trump? did they ever pass anything? nope. not a thing.

joe biden did. and wouldn't you know? it's working. so well in fact that you regularly get shit like this...

this chucker voted against the bill she's now taking credit for. NOT because she didn't believe in it. she probably did. she probably WANTED to vote for it. but she didn't, because :gasp: that would give Biden a win and make Trump unhappy. and we can't make the supreme leader unhappy, can we? no we can not! so we will not vote in favor of the bipartisan border bill - because then Trumpykins has nothing to ramble about at his speeches!

anyhoo...

i've made no secret that i voted for Mitt Romney in 2012. I was, at one point, a registered republican. in 2015/2016 - i absolutely could have seen myself vote for a republican again.

but then Trump won the nomination - and, well - oh my god no.

see? it's not hard. you can do it. you can look at things objectively and say wow - this guy is as corrupt as it gets, is a complete and utter con man and has been his entire adult life, he lies for a living,

he has numerous sexual assault allegations hanging over him and, let's be real... people with numerous sexual assault allegations? yea - they typically committed some sort of sexual assault somewhere along the line. anyone can write off a one off accusation if you choose. it's rare, but false accusations do happen. dozens upon dozens of accusations? yeaaaa that's a hell of a lot of smoke to just write off. oh and, well, a court found him civilly liable for sexual assault. his ex wife accused him in her book. but i digress.

he has a history of fraud dating back decades - a lot of which was well known WELL Before 2015. the idea that he was some kind of real estate magnate was debunked WELL Before 2015. it simply wasn't true. the overwhelming majority of the things around the world with his name on it didn't/don't even belong to him. they were licensing deals. the idea of wealth (minus the reality). these are all easily verifiable. what's come out in these trials only proves what was already proven. everything about him is fake. everything.

he's responsible for the end of roe, while being someone who is single handedly responsible for quite a few abortions.

he regularly and purposefully uses language that nods to far right extremism and, yes, fascism and even nazism. this is not deniable. it simply isn't.

so yes - it is possible to lean right, look at this guy and say - ya know what? i'm not voting for that. it's a line too far. it's not right, i know it's not right, and it's more important to stand up against it than to just sports team this thing and go along with the flow.

trump and his enablers are actual threats to democracy. he's said as such. he tried to overturn an election he lost. i could hear the insurrection from my front stoop. the national guard marched down my street. two pipe bombs were placed within blocks of where my then 3 year old was in nursery school. this all actually happened. to not acknowledge it would be a grave sin.

but i do agree that if it's the main talking point it's probably not a winning one. which is a sad state of affairs for america, but it is what it is.

how about abortion? you know, the cause that has led to republicans losing over and over again since roe was overturned? can we run on that? is that a winning argument, when 80% of the country supports it? i'd like to think so. seems to be a lot of data there. alas.

our "side" does not support abolishing the police. saying that would be like me saying that everything the far right fringe supports YOU also support.

the "defund the police" movement was dumb. majorly dumb. and guess who never supported it? :gasp: joe biden. joe biden is a very moderate candidate. the type of democratic candidate that republicans used to be cool with. but nope - can't do that anymore. fox and sir orange won't allow it.

you are aware that the colorado supreme court case that would have removed trump from the ballot for being an insurrectionist (which they didn't say he wasn't, btw - they only said that congress has to decide it) was brought by a group of republicans, right? not democrats - republicans. they brought the case.

it would be great if you stuck around and engaged - not just drive by finger wagging. that's tiring for everyone. actual engagement and discussion of topics. hopefully you do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom