US Politics XXXVII: hiiiii Kevin, I’m your biggest fan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/prem_thakker/status/1644076745002459140?s=46&t=7qdYZNgiKjw76N1iFrMMAw

The hope is that the GQP continue down this path of destroying democracy that enough people outside the nihilists turn out to vote them out for a few generations until this evil is purged

But the margin is so slim that these fascists could take over and it would be lights out

Just donated for the first time in a long time to anyone. But I love 20 minutes away from this shut show and I’m pissed off.

https://t.co/pnL9sQLw9H

lmao the tennessee taliban is eating so much shit today, this is backfiring on them super hard immediately. fuck 'em

Last edited:
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/07/texas-judge-halts-fda-approval-of-abortion-pill-00091096

A Texas federal judge ruled Friday evening to suspend the FDA’s approval of mifepristone — one of two drugs used together to cause an abortion — virtually banning the sale of the pills across the country. The decision, however, will not take effect for a week, giving higher courts time to consider the appeal the Biden administration filed Friday night and delaying for now the impact on hundreds of thousands of patients who use the medication both for abortions and treating miscarriages.

U.S. District Court Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk in Amarillo, Texas, an appointee of former President Donald Trump, sided with anti-abortion medical groups that challenged the federal regulation of the drug, ruling that both the initial approval of the pills in 2000 as well as more recent FDA decisions allowing them to be prescribed via telemedicine, sent by mail and dispensed at retail pharmacies, are unlawful.

Happy Easter!

1617285953081.jpeg

What we know about the major Pentagon intelligence leak
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/10/politics/classified-documents-leak-explainer/index.html

CNN has reviewed 53 leaked documents, all of which appear to have been produced between mid-February and early March.

They contain a wide range of highly classified information – providing a rare window into how the US spies on allies and adversaries alike.

Some of the documents, which US officials say are authentic, expose the extent of US eavesdropping on key allies, including South Korea, Israel and Ukraine.

Others reveal the degree to which the US has penetrated the Russian Ministry of Defense and the Russian mercenary organization Wagner Group, largely through intercepted communications and human sources, which could now be cut off or put in danger.

Still others divulge key weaknesses in Ukrainian weaponry, air defense, and battalion sizes and readiness at a critical point in the war, as Ukrainian forces gear up to launch a counteroffensive against the Russians – and just as the US and Ukraine have begun to develop a more mutually trusting relationship over intelligence-sharing.

.... Yet another document describes, in remarkable detail, a conversation between two senior South Korean national security officials about concerns by the country’s National Security Council over a US request for ammunition.

The officials worried that supplying the ammunition, which the US would then send to Ukraine, would violate South Korea’s policy of not supplying lethal aid to countries at war. According to the document, one of the officials then suggested a way of getting around the policy without actually changing it – by selling the ammunition to Poland.

The document has already sparked controversy in Seoul, with South Korean officials telling reporters that they plan to raise the issue with Washington.

An intelligence report about Israel, meanwhile, has sparked outrage in Jerusalem. The report, produced by the CIA and sourced to signals intelligence, says that Israel’s main intelligence agency, the Mossad, had been encouraging protests against the country’s new government – “including several explicit calls to action,” the report alleges.

.... The Pentagon team working to determine the scale and scope of the leak includes the Defense Department’s legislative affairs, public affairs, policy, general counsel, intelligence and security, and joint staff offices, Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs Chris Meagher said Monday.

Asked if the government has any sense of who leaked the documents, National Security Council Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby said Monday that the Department of Defense had referred the case to the Department of Justice for criminal investigation and directed questions to them.

“I’m not aware that they’ve come to any conclusions at this point about where they’re coming from,” Kirby said.

Asked if the administration believed the leak is contained or if there’s an ongoing threat, Kirby responded: “We don’t know. We truly don’t.”

i would really really like to see this report that apparently claims Mossad is actively working to topple a right-wing Israeli government lmao.

Salon.com

House Bill 1069, also known as the "Don't Say Period" bill, which passed in Florida's Republican-controlled House at the end of March, means what you think it means.

The bill proposes banning any form of health education until sixth grade and would prohibit students from asking questions about menstruation, including about their own first periods, which frequently occur before the sixth grade. If passed by Florida's Senate and signed into law by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, the ban will be effective July 1.

Salon.com

House Bill 1069, also known as the "Don't Say Period" bill, which passed in Florida's Republican-controlled House at the end of March, means what you think it means.

The bill proposes banning any form of health education until sixth grade and would prohibit students from asking questions about menstruation, including about their own first periods, which frequently occur before the sixth grade. If passed by Florida's Senate and signed into law by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, the ban will be effective July 1.

This culture war DeSantis is waging in Florida is going to backfire sooner or later.

Unfortunately I'm old enough that I remember having to say that I had my "friend visiting" if I had to be excused from something when I had my period. And that was in public school.

Shaming human beings for natural body functions is so wrong. I was made to feel as if it was something to be ashamed of, that messes with your head and your self esteem/image.

This culture war DeSantis is waging in Florida is going to backfire sooner or later.

it will absolutely backfire nationally.

he's making a huge mistake for his political future by going too hard into the culture war bullshit. he sees it as his only way to victory in the republican primaries. he may even be right in that thinking. but to win the national election he will need to win the female suburban vote - and shit like this, along with his abortion stances, will absolutely sink any chance he has.

there's no "coming back to the center" from a "don't say period" bill.

it will absolutely backfire nationally.

he's making a huge mistake for his political future by going too hard into the culture war bullshit. he sees it as his only way to victory in the republican primaries. he may even be right in that thinking. but to win the national election he will need to win the female suburban vote - and shit like this, along with his abortion stances, will absolutely sink any chance he has.

there's no "coming back to the center" from a "don't say period" bill.

I would contend that he could lose his own state to Trump in the primaries over this (though they’re closed primaries so maybe not).

Supposedly his approval rating is soaring in Florida right now, but I’m not sure these moves themselves are popular amongst Floridians (they’re just selfish and turn a blind eye). He can attack trans people in Florida all he wants, but he’s teetering on the female vote. Right now the move was “children” so he can get away with it, but when he starts to espouse the views out loud that Trump made everyone read between the lines about (such as abortion), I think it’ll backfire.

It’s classically Florida though to only show up to the game (to vote) for a winner. That’s the scary thing. Against all public opinion indicators, DeSantis is popular. The things he does are not popular, but he is. So fucking weird.

Antifa didn't work and not enough Americans really care about the border crisis. So now go after the Trans population. That's why they pounced on the opportunity to go after the school shooter.

GOP will always have a booeyman.

Salon.com

It looks like state standards vary a ton across the country. Via parents.com:
Although it might seem obvious that human sexuality and anatomy should be covered by most school health and science programs, actually only 24 states and the District of Columbia mandate sex education in public schools. Nine states have absolutely no provision for sex education at all, including Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Texas, and Virginia.

California seems to mandate 7th grade (or earlier depending on local decisions).
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/...n=4.&title=2.&part=28.&chapter=5.6.&article=2.

51934. (a) Each school district shall ensure that all pupils in grades 7 to 12, inclusive, receive comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education from instructors trained in the appropriate courses. Each pupil shall receive this instruction at least once in junior high or middle school and at least once in high school. This instruction shall include all of the following:

....(c) A school district may provide comprehensive sexual health education or HIV prevention education consisting of age-appropriate instruction earlier than grade 7 using instructors trained in the appropriate courses. A school district that elects to offer comprehensive sexual health education or HIV prevention education earlier than grade 7 may provide age appropriate and medically accurate information on any of the general topics contained in paragraphs (1) to (11), inclusive, of subdivision (a).

The party that calls everyone groomers wants to keep young girls from being taught about menstruation.

You guys should be proud.

And we sure wouldn't want men learning about something that affects half the population, either! 'Cause then they might actually have to understand and give a shit about what women have to deal with in regards to reproductive issues and the struggles they have to go through, which could perhaps make it harder for them to want to, y'know, restrict our rights in that area.

(To say nothing of how they may turn out less likely to be all, "LOL, she must be on her period!" and treat women's health issues like a joke to laugh at. Nope. Gotta be all manly man and stay away from those icky girl cooties!)

The GOP is flat out batshit insane.

Salon.com

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/07/texas-judge-halts-fda-approval-of-abortion-pill-00091096

A Texas federal judge ruled Friday evening to suspend the FDA’s approval of mifepristone — one of two drugs used together to cause an abortion — virtually banning the sale of the pills across the country. The decision, however, will not take effect for a week, giving higher courts time to consider the appeal the Biden administration filed Friday night and delaying for now the impact on hundreds of thousands of patients who use the medication both for abortions and treating miscarriages.

U.S. District Court Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk in Amarillo, Texas, an appointee of former President Donald Trump, sided with anti-abortion medical groups that challenged the federal regulation of the drug, ruling that both the initial approval of the pills in 2000 as well as more recent FDA decisions allowing them to be prescribed via telemedicine, sent by mail and dispensed at retail pharmacies, are unlawful.

Ever since Roe v Wade was revoked, and with each successive restriction in Red States, and now these - one possibly national unless the counter ruling by the other judge can nuetralize it; there's times I want to scream with rage into a pillow as to not scare the neighbors.

I'm quite past all that but I have younger cousins - though most thank goodness are in Blue States, and just young women in general.
A woman is not free if she can't control when or if she wants a child/children!

I'm going to do my best next year to GOTV. I already did calls to other States last Nov so I've had practice.

Unfortunately I'm old enough that I remember having to say that I had my "friend visiting" if I had to be excused from something when I had my period. And that was in public school.

Shaming human beings for natural body functions is so wrong. I was made to feel as if it was something to be ashamed of, that messes with your head and your self esteem/image.
We used the euphemism "my dot", or "the dot". I think I'm older than you.

So Rep Justin Johnson is back. And hopefully Justin Pearson will return tomorrow.
They say his district has some more red areas, but there's enough blue to carry him through.
Good Luck, Tennessee!

Talk about 1) a reprehensible move that 2) really back fired on them, and elevated these two young men to national status!

i would really really like to see this report that apparently claims Mossad is actively working to topple a right-wing Israeli government lmao.

Egypt's alleged plan to sneak tens of thousands of rockets to Russia is a good one, too.

Considering Uncle Sam sends a good chunk of military dollars to Egypt every single year for decades and all.

Teaching girls about menstruation and saying the word PERIOD is not sex education. It's a body function that's reportedly starting even earlier in many girls these days. It can be traumatic for very young girls if it starts without any sort of education at home. Their education shouldn't be from social media or friends.

Some families struggle to even provide the necessary health care items for their young daughters. If schools aren't allowed to educate about menstruation, no caring teacher who is just trying to help should be penalized or even fired for doing that. That is a sick state of affairs, menstruation is a health issue.

What's truly wrong is DeSantis exploiting a health issue of young girls for his own political purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom