US Politics XXXVI: Special Masters of our Domain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevada is looking quite difficult on raw averages, but I suppose this shit all boils down to specific stratifications of remaining voters and not necessarily just counties.

Don't know much about midterms, how important are these, and please tell me the Democrats have done well?

They're very important in that if Republicans gain both houses of Congress, anything and everything Biden wants to do will be blocked. Democrats are doing well because people thought they were going to lose badly based on Biden's low approval ratings, high prices in gas and food (which unfairly gets blamed on the president), and other such things. Keeping one of the houses will mean Dems have exceeded general expectations.

Nevada is looking quite difficult on raw averages, but I suppose this shit all boils down to specific stratifications of remaining voters and not necessarily just counties.

Yep, so Nevada, Masto is down by 15k but similar to the 2020 election, the remaining votes left to be counted are mail in votes in two liberal counties with high population. I've seen a couple different numbers but most point to about 80-100k votes left to be counted. If they continue to be 70-30 in favor of Masto, then the Dems will take this seat.

I really don't see Walker winning the run off either. We will now have weeks of more bad press, more dumb comments and more grassroot efforts to make it happen for the good guys.

Yep, it's a tricky one. I do feel optimistic. I believe around 35-40 thousand votes came in last night and Masto netted around 5000 of them. She's only 16,000 down, so if she can keep up that pace with the rest (which is not guaranteed), I think she'll be ok, but it will be tight!!

John Ralston who knows all about NV elections said that Masto would need about 75,000 votes out of Clark to pull this off, and I believe there will be about 80,000 in all. So I'm guessing this will be about .5 - 1% win either way.

The one thing that is a positive in NV, is that 99% of the vote is mail in vote. So we don't have these crazy swings between mail in and in person votes being counted at different times. Much more straightforward and easier to predict an outcome.

The Republicans are going to be torn apart over the next two years. Had MAGA done well in these midterms i think it’s an easy path for Trump in the primaries

Now that the “establishment” republicans have seen (again) how toxic MAGA is, they are trying to find a way to dump Trump.

But Trump is not the person you can just cast off as a loser. He will burn everyone around him (he blamed his wife for endorsing Dr Oz), and the party is going to be splintered bad.

My guess is they are all still afraid of his base. With good reason. Jeb, Marco, Ted, Mittens, Pence, Mitch, and Lindsey…..they all cower to him at some point.

If it is Trump/CrazyLady (pick one, Lake, Huckabee, or Noem) it’ll be a similar route as 2020

While i do think a GQP house is a bad thing for this country and the world over the next two years, the election deniers for most State Government lost and that makes Trump cheating much harder to accomplish.

Dems need a strong message for 2024, and whether it’s Biden or someone else (Whitmer??) having another party engaged in civil war could help keep American democracy afloat

FhIYESiWYAY5llY

The Republicans are going to be torn apart over the next two years. Had MAGA done well in these midterms i think it’s an easy path for Trump in the primaries

Now that the “establishment” republicans have seen (again) how toxic MAGA is, they are trying to find a way to dump Trump.

But Trump is not the person you can just cast off as a loser. He will burn everyone around him (he blamed his wife for endorsing Dr Oz), and the party is going to be splintered bad.

My guess is they are all still afraid of his base. With good reason. Jeb, Marco, Ted, Mittens, Pence, Mitch, and Lindsey…..they all cower to him at some point.

If it is Trump/CrazyLady (pick one, Lake, Huckabee, or Noem) it’ll be a similar route as 2020

While i do think a GQP house is a bad thing for this country and the world over the next two years, the election deniers for most State Government lost and that makes Trump cheating much harder to accomplish.

Dems need a strong message for 2024, and whether it’s Biden or someone else (Whitmer??) having another party engaged in civil war could help keep American democracy afloat

I have to agree. If Trump starts to get overshadowed by DeSatan, Then he will destroy everyone and everything that attempt to go against or away from him. He's already threatened to release dirt on Ron if he attempts to run.

The big issue for GQP? Trump has all their money, and 60-70% of their voters. So even if the party leaders start to run from Trump, it would take a couple cycles of pure madness before it all settles out. The wildcard is if Trump goes to jail. Repubs would be smart to not push against or speak against any DOJ indictment and just let em take out the monster they've created.

The whole Trump announcement thing is stupid and shouldn't get much press. He'll be indicted within the next few months. The DOJ is in the phase of flipping someone close to him, normally means they're close. Trump won't be the candidate in 2024.

I still think the Shapiro/Whitmer would be a monster ticket. Whitmer just rocked the political landscape in Militia Central Michigan. Swept every seat and flipped the legislature. Shapiro won by 14 points in PA and is charismatic and knows what messaging works. This would be the dream ticket to keep the blue wall in tact, as OH and FL are gone forever and WI is slipping, and NC, GA, AZ and NV are too close to be reliable.

The message? The message is the one that both Shapiro and Whitmer used which made them the biggest winners of the night. They turned the tables on Repubs and grabbed the "party of freedom" mantle. Freedom to live without fun violence, freedom to choose, freedom for our kids to learn what they should in school, freedom for LGBTQ+, freedom that comes from a strong democracy without election denier nutbags.

I have to agree. If Trump starts to get overshadowed by DeSatan, Then he will destroy everyone and everything that attempt to go against or away from him. He's already threatened to release dirt on Ron if he attempts to run.

The big issue for GQP? Trump has all their money, and 60-70% of their voters. So even if the party leaders start to run from Trump, it would take a couple cycles of pure madness before it all settles out. The wildcard is if Trump goes to jail. Repubs would be smart to not push against or speak against any DOJ indictment and just let em take out the monster they've created.

Ding ding. Once Trump gets arrested, that is when the GOP will finally move on, not because oh gosh, they finally had enough, but because they all hate him already and will finally have a reason to move on.

Ding ding. Once Trump gets arrested, that is when the GOP will finally move on, not because oh gosh, they finally had enough, but because they all hate him already and will finally have a reason to move on.

Unfortunately, Desantis makes the offramp from Trump much more easy for the GOP. If Trump is locked up, They all will just follow L'il Ron the Dictator like they did Trump. Which means we will get someone controlling the party with FAR more dangerous policies for the country than Trump. The only positive change would be the election conspiracies would fade away.

Unfortunately, Desantis makes the offramp from Trump much more easy for the GOP. If Trump is locked up, They all will just follow L'il Ron the Dictator like they did Trump. Which means we will get someone controlling the party with FAR more dangerous policies for the country than Trump. The only positive change would be the election conspiracies would fade away.

Yep very true. I'm actually less concerned about Desantis only because for whatever reason, Trump played the dictator/Revolution card much better than Desantis does. As awful as Trump is, he is a master of his craft. Desantis not so much.

I still think the Shapiro/Whitmer would be a monster ticket. Whitmer just rocked the political landscape in Militia Central Michigan. Swept every seat and flipped the legislature. Shapiro won by 14 points in PA and is charismatic and knows what messaging works. This would be the dream ticket to keep the blue wall in tact, as OH and FL are gone forever and WI is slipping, and NC, GA, AZ and NV are too close to be reliable.

The message? The message is the one that both Shapiro and Whitmer used which made them the biggest winners of the night. They turned the tables on Repubs and grabbed the "party of freedom" mantle. Freedom to live without fun violence, freedom to choose, freedom for our kids to learn what they should in school, freedom for LGBTQ+, freedom that comes from a strong democracy without election denier nutbags.

Also, Polis.

Wisconsin will continue to be a toss up for a long time. I wouldn't say it's slipping. We just re-elected Evers but re-election Wrong Johnson. It's probably the best representation of how down the middle this state is.

Ok, now I see what you're talking about... this worries me. probably 5% of vote still to come in from all the red districts, Washoe is probably going to be a wash, and Clark has 70k votes to come in, and Masto is only getting 5% higher on those so far. She would need to get about 20%+ of those to overtake the lead. Not good.

Updating this post - I guess Masto won 2/3rds of the last dump from Clark. So now I’m just confused and will just have to wait for about 4 or 5 days to see how it shakes out. Lol

Last edited:
Wisconsin will continue to be a toss up for a long time. I wouldn't say it's slipping. We just re-elected Evers but re-election Wrong Johnson. It's probably the best representation of how down the middle this state is.

Wisconsin is the most gerrymandered state. 51% went for a D Gov, but Dems will only represent 30% of the state congress.

It's a mess, like your college team ;) But you'll get to see an even bigger mess in the Iowa offense this Saturday.

I think DeSantis is too dopey to really get national attention. What he does in FL works there.

What we need to be afraid of is someone in a suit with the same ambitions as a Trump/DeSantis, but with charm and poise.

We are very lucky right now all these fascists are also idiots.

not for nothing? while biden looks and moves and acts old as shit? and is, actually, old as shit?

--successful vaccine roll out despite major obstruction from the other political party and their media arm
--an actual transportation bill
--continued job growth in the face of global inflation
--a winning strategy to help an overmatched ally fight off a superpower without getting involved in the actual shooting
--the best midterm for an incumbent president in a long ass time

and people in his own damn party are still trying to push him out the door.

not for nothing? while biden looks and moves and acts old as shit? and is, actually, old as shit?

--successful vaccine roll out despite major obstruction from the other political party and their media arm
--a winning strategy to help an overmatched ally fight off a superpower without getting involved in the actual shooting

Throw in the largest number of manufacturing jobs created in a couple decades. With the Chips Act that will add many many more AND stick it China

Huge bill to protect Veterans health

Got bipartisan gun legislation passed

The largest climate investment in history

Student debt relief

enormous deficit reduction

Lowered gas prices despite Oil Companies charging double what they should and Repubs voting against measures to lower it

Capped insulin and seniors health care costs

Holy shit. That's a lot. And it touches nearly EVERY demographic.

I'm not pushing for someone else to run in 24, but looking at the people that could be quite formidable in 28 and beyond.

The media is still stupid. This exit poll says 67% of people say you shouldn't run again!!! AAAHHHH!!!

Why is no one saying... um, you know that at least 50% of those people are republicans and so not wanting Biden to run would actually be a sign of him being a strong candidate.

It's like the ridiculous right track/wrong track poll. Plenty of Dems can feel that the country is going in the wrong direction because we have whackjob right wing fools, storming capitals, bludgeoning old people with hammers, an out of control SCOTUS, a former president who is most likely going to be under indictment for stealing classified docs, and also high inflation.

This question is stupid.

when you think about it - it's actually kinda impressive for one person to be responsible for losing two popular votes AND two midterm elections.

bigly.

Charlie Crist lost Florida Education Commissioner in 1998 by 26 points. He somehow rebounded his career at that point.

Crist was elected governor of Florida in 2006. After being chased out of his own (Republican) party, he decided for senate instead of re-election as an independent. He lost to newcomer Marco Rubio.

Crist ran for governor in 2014 as a democrat. He lost Rick Scott. At this point, he has lost as a Republican, as a Democrat, and as an independent.

So naturally, fantastic pick to run for governor again 8 years later against Ron Desantis. It is clearly what Florida wanted.

Just saw this headline, what can you even say about that? Sanctity of life.

Uvalde County, Where Robb Elementary School Shooter Killed 21, Voted for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott

Abbott was victorious in all 14 Uvalde County precincts following Tuesday's midterm elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom