Unpopular musical opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On his website, Ramone assembled Top-10 lists of his favorite baseball players (Greg Maddux), guitarists (Jimmy Page), singers (Elvis), Elvis films (Loving You), and horror films (Bride of Frankenstein). He even listed his favorite Republicans: Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, Charlton Heston, Vincent Gallo, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sean Hannity, Ted Nugent, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Barr, and Tom DeLay

I'm almost afraid to post any evidence as I love Classic and Punk rock and wouldn't want you to lose respect for either. Anyway at least one of them were big fans.

As far as the irony, I don't think it was necessarily the music itself the punk movement was rebelling against (though the quality of rock had certainly taken a slide since the early 70s) as much as it was the rock bands had become rich, bloated and detached. The idea of bands like Zep flying in their own airplane was considered a betrayal to rock and roll ideas, even if for a band of Zep's stature (arguably the biggest concert draw at the time) it was more practical than anything.

Steve Beard on Johnny Ramone on National Review Online

If that second quote is indeed true, I would lose some respect for the whole punk scene! :huh:

Why would you lose respect for an entire scene because they took some cues from a highly influential band? The punk scene didn't compromise its beliefs because the Ramones happened to take that style of strumming and used it within their own music. :shrug:

Punk was a reaction to the arena in arena rock, not rock itself. There's quite a difference.

OK found a direct reference to the Ramone-Page thing. From Wiki's Zep Bio....

For example, in the documentary Ramones - The True Story, Page's sped up, downstroke guitar riff is cited as being guitarist Johnny Ramone's inspiration for - and basis of - his punk-defining, strictly downstroke guitar strumming.

As far as Nirvana being punk, grunge was a fusion of early punk and 70's Sabbath/Zep style classic rock...in other words, probably most Punk fans worst nightmare!

BTW I am in no way suggesting that Zep was actually the founders of punk...
just that people may be surprised that Zep had an influence, however indirect.

In speaking of Zeppelin's legacy, Edge states, "There is little that Zeppelin has not touched"

Why would you lose respect for an entire scene because they took some cues from a highly influential band? The punk scene didn't compromise its beliefs because the Ramones happened to take that style of strumming and used it within their own music. :shrug:

Punk was a reaction to the arena in arena rock, not rock itself. There's quite a difference.

Yeah I guess I see your point. Actually, from what little I've heard of both the prog rock and punk rock scenes, I like certain elements of both.

I think I only listened to Never Mind The Bollocks once, some years back. Completely hated it and returned it back to the roommate I borrowed it from! lol

Actually, that's not entirely true! I kinda remember thinking that Anarchy in the UK was okay.

I find Scouting for Girls music all the same and therefore a very boring group.
Scouting for girls are one of the worst groups ever

The best part of a Scouting for Girls live show is when they scream "Release the balls!" the throw giant balls into the crowd

Who do they think they are? Pink Floyd or something?!?!?!?

I love the way she fills her clothes.
She looks just like them girls in vogue.
I love the way she plays it cool.
I think that she is beautiful.

She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
x2

She's Pretty, a fitty
She's got a boyfriend though and thats a pitty.
She's flirty so flirty
And that kind of girl thats really dirty.

I don't know
I don't know
I don't know
How we'll make it through this.
I don't know
I don't know
I don't know

I love the way she bites her lip
I love the way she shakes them hips.
I love the way she makes me drool.
I think that she is beautiful.

She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely
x2

A stunner, I want her
Was she this fit when she was 10 years younger?
Come see me discreatly.
She says shes got a trick or two to teach me.

I don't know
I don't know
I don't know
How we'll make it through this. x3
I don't know
I don't know
I don't know

I think that you are lovely
I think that you are beautiful.

She's so lovely
She's so lovely
She's so lovely