Unknown Caller appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first four songs on NLOTH make for one of the most glorious thirty minute stretches of music they've ever done. It's all capped off by Unknown Caller -- possibly my favorite U2 song since ... since ... Kite? Mofo? Stay? Lemon? ...

Holy shit, this might just be my favorite U2 song ever.

a daring song, unlike anything out there in rock music today.

that solo is just killer.

the best song on the album for me, next to Moment of Surrender

It's truly something that you would expect out of a Pink Floyd album. You are right, we don't hear this type of stuff now.

Very true...it is Pink Floyd-ish in a non-Radiohead Pink Floyd-ish sort of way. This is U2 entering the world of meta-physics, going beyond common religion and touching upon the nature of God and the universe. A spectacular song.

Anyone else in on the The Edge's guitar = the ringing phone of the "Unknown Caller?"

The tone really sounds like that; even just the way he plays does it.

So Edge's guitar is like God calling for us to answer Him...:heart:

Which is an accurate representation of the solo.

One of the songs that I really like. I like the intro with the birds. I like how Moment of Surrender sort of flows into Unknown Caller. The guitar for the most part sounds like typical Edge chime BUT I think it just fits the song so extremely well that I don't pay mind to it, with guitar playing actually enhancing the song. I've been critical of Edge's use of his trademark sound and playing, but it fits just right on this song. The chorus, climax, and finale are great. Solo is good and fits. I think of Walk On's solo (nice solo) and how it just didn't fit with Walk On, but this solo definitely fits with Unknown Caller.

Small Similarity to Hands That Built...

Not that this is a complaint, Unknown Caller is my favorite song on the album, but does anybody else agree that there is an element to Bono's voice on this song and the rhythm/beat that is similar to The Hands That Built America's "It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York skyline...."?

great song, this was the only beach clip i had listen to, and i loved it, but never really knew it was the same song, itll be great live

Not that this is a complaint, Unknown Caller is my favorite song on the album, but does anybody else agree that there is an element to Bono's voice on this song and the rhythm/beat that is similar to The Hands That Built America's "It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York skyline...."?

I hear that too...but this song takes so many turns...htba was predictable in some ways...this one goes here and then goes there...and absolutely flattens me with edge at playing it out. quirky? but yet completely sonic.

Is it just me or is this just an absolute beast of a song? I think of it having 3 parts: the intro, the chorus-containing middle section, and the solo outro. It's just epic.

Unknown Caller is the song I keep coming back to. Most original song I've heard in quite a while and a total surprise.

Dude has a car accident and his cell phone starts beaming the voice of God to him???? Not sure what it is about, but that's the fun of a great song.

This whole album is fantastic. I do not understand the complaints. Totally slays their last 4 albums (I think) and honestly, my favorite CDs over the past year were TV on the Radio's Dear Science and Radiohead's In Rainbows -- amazing albums -- but THERE'S NOTHING LIKE U2 WHEN THEY ARE ON TOP OF THEIR GAME. And this new album was well worth the wait.

Musically, one of the most gorgeous tunes U2 has ever done in IMHO. The off kilter-lyrics and chanting vocals were just what was needed to leaven a song that would otherwise have been too beautiful, if such a thing is possible.

I really don't understand how anyone could fail to be blown away by this song... It's dark yet joyful, odd yet anthemic, musically and dynamically extraordianary... God it's a fucking trip of a track from start to finish...
I knew I'd love it from the beach clips but the finished version exceeds every expectation...

Back
Top Bottom