U22 ♫ Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where do you live, Biff? I haven't heard of anyone outside of the US receiving it yet.

Just for shits -n- giggles I put in the tracking number from my package in the USPS website. All I found out was that it arrived at my local post office this morning and was delivered at my house this afternoon.

Where do you live, Biff? I haven't heard of anyone outside of the US receiving it yet.

Just for shits -n- giggles I put in the tracking number from my package in the USPS website. All I found out was that it arrived at my local post office this morning and was delivered at my house this afternoon.

I have just read in twitter that some people in New Zealand received the discs.

I quite like Adam's commentary in the book, though he does say they were playing EBTTRT earlier in the tour before it became the opener. Huh? LOL. He expects Moment of Surrender to stick around in the live set for a long time to come. Glad to hear that since as great as the song is, I feel they can still improve on it live.

A bunch of songs we already have officially released 360 versions of, or songs that have multiple live releases from previous tours. Overall, a disappointment, as expected.

The one gem I was really looking forward to, One Tree Hill, was fuck*d up by Bono's needless politicisation of a very personal song. Though Edge's shredding guitar almost makes up for that at the end. Almost.

I will say it's superior to most of the other fan club releases, especially the recent ones. And the packaging is pretty nice. It's nice to finally have a live version of Zooropa, I just wish they'd make all the tracks available for download.

Oh well, the "fans" have only themselves to blame for this one, who pretty much chose all the warhorse songs that a suit at the Live Nation marketing department would have.

How did you get a tracking number?

It was printed on the mailing label. I didn't have it until I actually had the package in my hands.

My point was, having the tracking number in advance wouldn't have done much good because it wasn't tracked in the system until it entered the USPS system, which was only a few hours before it was delivered.

It was printed on the mailing label. I didn't have it until I actually had the package in my hands.

My point was, having the tracking number in advance wouldn't have done much good because it wasn't tracked in the system until it entered the USPS system, which was only a few hours before it was delivered.

oh ok :D One compliant i have is U2.com should have given us a tracking number.

A bunch of songs we already have officially released 360 versions of, or songs that have multiple live releases from previous tours. Overall, a disappointment, as expected.

The one gem I was really looking forward to, One Tree Hill, was fuck*d up by Bono's needless politicisation of a very personal song. Though Edge's shredding guitar almost makes up for that at the end. Almost.

I will say it's superior to most of the other fan club releases, especially the recent ones. And the packaging is pretty nice. It's nice to finally have a live version of Zooropa, I just wish they'd make all the tracks available for download.

Oh well, the "fans" have only themselves to blame for this one, who pretty much chose all the warhorse songs that a suit at the Live Nation marketing department would have.

Thank you for trolling by beating your own dead horse. :)

And do you care to explain how "One Tree Hill, was fuck*d up by Bono's needless politicisation of a very personal song"? :confused:
Listening to the download (I don't have the CDs yet) I don't hear any political statement from Bono at all. Only that it was written about Greg Carroll and that he dedicates it to the miners killed in a mining disaster only a few days before the concert.

And who are the "fans"? Are they any different than the fans?

Thank you for trolling by beating your own dead horse. :)

And do you care to explain how "One Tree Hill, was fuck*d up by Bono's needless politicisation of a very personal song"? :confused:
Listening to the download (I don't have the CDs yet) I don't hear any political statement from Bono at all. Only that it was written about Greg Carroll and that he dedicates it to the miners killed in a mining disaster only a few days before the concert.

And who are the "fans"? Are they any different than the fans?

Hearing Bono throwing in some lyrics from a different song or talk about something else isn't too out of the ordinary either. Heck, he goes on about Eunice Kennedy-Shriver for quite a bit on the CD's version of WOWY too.

I wouldn't have minded seeing some rarer tracks like Your Blue Room or Electrical Storm too, but it'd also be a bit silly to leave off all the "warhorse" songs that the band played at 99% of the shows. And the fans did vote One Tree Hill onto the collection too after all, which was played at what, two or so shows? Zooropa's not exactly considered a "popular" track either where the public is concerned.

I'm pretty sure the Live Nation exec would've tried to squeeze Vertigo on there too! :D

Hearing Bono throwing in some lyrics from a different song or talk about something else isn't too out of the ordinary either. Heck, he goes on about Eunice Kennedy-Shriver for quite a bit on the CD's version of WOWY too.

I wouldn't have minded seeing some rarer tracks like Your Blue Room or Electrical Storm too, but it'd also be a bit silly to leave off all the "warhorse" songs that the band played at 99% of the shows. And the fans did vote One Tree Hill onto the collection too after all, which was played at what, two or so shows? Zooropa's not exactly considered a "popular" track either where the public is concerned.

I'm pretty sure the Live Nation exec would've tried to squeeze Vertigo on there too! :D

Plus, we could have U23 to look forward to next year as a fan "gift" that will have all the songs that did not make it which would still include some warhorses as well (IE Pride and SBS, which we do not need yet ANOTHER live version of either). Probably wont happen, but it should! :wink:

Why would it be silly? Sunday Bloody Sunday, Get on Your Boots, Vertigo and Crazy Tonight were not on the tracklisting (thank heavens) - that's already half of the songs that were played 99% of the time on tour. I hear no complaints from the fans about that. The point of the compilation was to see what songs did the fans favour, not the band. If you're worried about the flow of the show, I personally think the flow of the real show didn't really work (namely the plodding second half), so no complaints here about that as well.

I second this question. Boner trying to improvise lyrics about the miners instead of just singing the real ones was a bit silly though.

Why would it be silly? Sunday Bloody Sunday, Get on Your Boots, Vertigo and Crazy Tonight were not on the tracklisting (thank heavens) - that's already half of the songs that were played 99% of the time on tour. I hear no complaints from the fans about that. The point of the compilation was to see what songs did the fans favour, not the band. If you're worried about the flow of the show, I personally think the flow of the real show didn't really work (namely the plodding second half), so no complaints here about that as well.

That's what I mean though. Not every track that was played at most of the shows was included, so what's the harm in the final product ending up as a fair balance here? The fans voted, and some set list staples made it and some didn't. Same for the "rare" tracks in question here.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not going to include, say, Stingray Guitar just because it was only played on part of the tour. I'd much rather have a great live version of The Fly or whatever other song would be much more worth hearing.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not going to include, say, Stingray Guitar just because it was only played on part of the tour. I'd much rather have a great live version of The Fly or whatever other song would be much more worth hearing.

I think Stingray is a poor example to use. An unreleased U2 song and we had a chance to get a soundboard quality version of. We have many versions of The Fly live as well as studio and remixes obviously. We have no official release of Stingray of any kind, period. That alone, should have caused fans to vote for it IMO and it is a HUGE shame it was not included based on that alone. Also, EBTTRT was only played on a portion of the tour, yet it opens the release. Breathe is actually much more representative of what should have been the opening song IMO (even though I did not care for it as an opener) as it was used on 2 full legs for the most part. The Fly wasnt even used on a full leg of the tour! Under your logic Breathe should should have been there and The Fly should not have. :shrug:

The rest of the stuff was "rare" live performances and I can sort of see your point to a degree. But I think it was still huge missed oppurtunity by fans to get some material we would not normally have access to. As I said before, it a pretty cool release overall. But personally I would have rather had the material we do not already have 8 times over from prior tours vs the rare stuff. But the votes speak for themselves. I'm beating a dead horse here as we all already had this "discussion". I just had to point out that Stingray is a bad song to point out IMO for the reasons I outlined.

Hmmm....well, since they released, what- just over HALF of U22 before it was even shipped out, why not release some more soundboard-quality versions of songs? Not just Every Breaking Wave, North Star, etc, but 360 staples that didn't make the cut for U22? (Breathe, No Line, Crazy Tonight, Vertigo, etc).......just a few cents...god, i really wish they were like Pearl Jam and put up shows for sale...although i AM very thankful for what we have now :)

I am baffled by any of the criticism toward the version of One Tree Hill. (I've seen it here and in another conversation elsewhere.)

What were the other options for its inclusion? Chicago, where Edge can't remember how to play the beginning - yeah, it was funny, but is that the version they should have chosen for posterity, as opposed to a version that was played in its "home" country on a sad occasion for New Zealand?

Where else was it played? other Aus/NZ shows, I would guess. So yes, appropriate that they should pick a version from one of those shows, and yes, appropriate that they would give us the one with some pretty big emotional weight behind it.

On a side note, my 3 year old daughter love the version of ISHFWILF and cracks up everytime the horn comes in. She actually sings the chorus and then adds the horn noises and then proceeds to go into the most adorable laughing fit. :)

I am baffled by any of the criticism toward the version of One Tree Hill. (I've seen it here and in another conversation elsewhere.)

What were the other options for its inclusion? Chicago, where Edge can't remember how to play the beginning - yeah, it was funny, but is that the version they should have chosen for posterity, as opposed to a version that was played in its "home" country on a sad occasion for New Zealand?

Where else was it played? other Aus/NZ shows, I would guess. So yes, appropriate that they should pick a version from one of those shows, and yes, appropriate that they would give us the one with some pretty big emotional weight behind it.

Agreed, actually it is probably the highlight of the release for me. Although I do agree Bono inserting "miner" into the lyric was a tad forced. The intro was fine IMO. Could have been worse, I think the version they did in Santiago with the guest singer was one of the worst versions of the song, ever.

Still, for me, the best ever live version of the song is Dublin December 26th 1989. I doubt that will ever be topped for that song.

Ha, that's the same comment my other friend made on FB.

Of course it's never going to top a Lovetown performance! Ha, I just had a mental (audio?) image of them slipping in a Lovetown version of the song onto U22. "Maybe if we don't say anything, no one will notice!"

:lol:

I honestly didn't even notice the lyric change. Even if I find it distracting, I still think it was the right version for the collection.

I think Stingray is a poor example to use. An unreleased U2 song and we had a chance to get a soundboard quality version of. We have many versions of The Fly live as well as studio and remixes obviously. We have no official release of Stingray of any kind, period. That alone, should have caused fans to vote for it IMO and it is a HUGE shame it was not included based on that alone. Also, EBTTRT was only played on a portion of the tour, yet it opens the release. Breathe is actually much more representative of what should have been the opening song IMO (even though I did not care for it as an opener) as it was used on 2 full legs for the most part. The Fly wasnt even used on a full leg of the tour! Under your logic Breathe should should have been there and The Fly should not have. :shrug:

The rest of the stuff was "rare" live performances and I can sort of see your point to a degree. But I think it was still huge missed oppurtunity by fans to get some material we would not normally have access to. As I said before, it a pretty cool release overall. But personally I would have rather had the material we do not already have 8 times over from prior tours vs the rare stuff. But the votes speak for themselves. I'm beating a dead horse here as we all already had this "discussion". I just had to point out that Stingray is a bad song to point out IMO for the reasons I outlined.

I agree with most of this. I'd much rather have a collection of songs we don't already have multiple live versions of. Or for that matter, I'd be perfectly happy with songs we do have previous live versions of, but not 360 versions. It doesn't even matter to me whether I'm necessarily into the song. I'd rather have Stingray Guitar, which is just an OK song, than another version of Mysterious Ways, brilliant as it is.

But I'm not not going be served dog food by Live Nation and call it steak.

Although I do agree Bono inserting "miner" into the lyric was a tad forced.

This made me think of the live performance of PITNOL from the Special Olympics opening ceremonies in Dublin when Nelson Mandela was the keynote speaker. That has got to be the worst, most forced lyrical change by anyone at anytime, anywhere.

"Nelson Mandela come to town. We're gonna listen to what he might say." :sad:

I have no problem w/them including One Tree Hill...in fact, that's the song I wanted more than any other on this. My problem is with Bono awkwardly trying to change the lines to fit current events. Yeah, yeah, I know...he does this ALL the time, and I'm usually fine with it, but for One Tree Hill I just don't think it works. But that's just me. I'm still happy to have it on there, since it's not on the 360 DVD.

I'm also happy to have the R&H songs...a nice inclusion. Live Zooropa is finally nice to have as well.

The rest of the disk sucks, relatively speaking.

Bono quoting a 17th-century Croatian poet in Beautiful Day made me like Beautiful Day. That's quite an accomplishment.

And too bad The Unforgettable Fire/Zooropa never made it at a real concert. Some wonderful stuff here I have to say.

Back
Top Bottom