U2 to headline Acoustic X-Mas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I should clarify a couple things...

1) The Lady Gaga example was a completely real example from an article I read and yes the fans were clearly gay (like a lot of her biggest fans). There was no harm meant in the description and the article was from like Pitchfork or something if you're wondering. My point is that a couple of gay guys in full costume sitting in the hot sun through acts like Fleet Foxes that they have never bothered listening to is a little extreme...my point being that a lot of U2 fans would do the same thing and pay $500 for a Coachella ticket and then sit at the front of the stage for 20 hours waiting for U2 to come on and not giving a fuck about the other bands or the rest of the experience. Most of the other people that attend festivals don't do that shit and would rather get a glimpse of a lot of different artists they love than camp out for just one.

2) Which sums up my main point about the complaints. Yeah, I'm off in saying U2 shouldn't play this event or whatever. It's not the band's fault that their mere presence leads to thousands of crazy people doing everything they can to secure tickets and sit at the very front. I just think there's certain acts that have massive fanbases that dwarf anyone else and ruin the vibe. Modest Mouse, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins? All rock-hall worthy acts. Tears for Fears and Alt-J? Absolutely fantastic artists. But if you suddenly throw Madonna or Macca into the headliner spot of this show instead of U2, you would have the same result which is thousands of people that could give a fuck paying top dollar to sit through hours of "boring" acts so they can see the one they're obsessed with.

So, again, my complaint isn't really with U2 playing this show. It's with their crazy fans. Just you wait and see when these tickets pop up on eBay for $2,000 a pop.

1) The Lady Gaga example was a completely real example from an article I read and yes the fans were clearly gay (like a lot of her biggest fans). There was no harm meant in the description and the article was from like Pitchfork or something if you're wondering. My point is that a couple of gay guys in full costume sitting in the hot sun through acts like Fleet Foxes that they have never bothered listening to is a little extreme...my point being that a lot of U2 fans would do the same thing and pay $500 for a Coachella ticket and then sit at the front of the stage for 20 hours waiting for U2 to come on and not giving a fuck about the other bands or the rest of the experience. Most of the other people that attend festivals don't do that shit and would rather get a glimpse of a lot of different artists they love than camp out for just one.

2) Which sums up my main point about the complaints. Yeah, I'm off in saying U2 shouldn't play this event or whatever. It's not the band's fault that their mere presence leads to thousands of crazy people doing everything they can to secure tickets and sit at the very front. I just think there's certain acts that have massive fanbases that dwarf anyone else and ruin the vibe. Modest Mouse, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins? All rock-hall worthy acts. Tears for Fears and Alt-J? Absolutely fantastic artists. But if you suddenly throw Madonna or Macca into the headliner spot of this show instead of U2, you would have the same result which is thousands of people that could give a fuck paying top dollar to sit through hours of "boring" acts so they can see the one they're obsessed with.

So, again, my complaint isn't really with U2 playing this show. It's with their crazy fans. Just you wait and see when these tickets pop up on eBay for $2,000 a pop.

I think you might be a bit harsh on U2 fans. Aren't you a U2 fan? I know I am, and I'm also a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan. Modest Mouse are fantastic live. I'd love to see Tears for Fears. I heard an Alt J song on the radio and it reminded me of the Beta Band - I'd like to see them too. There are plenty of U2 fans that are music lovers and will enjoy the festival. They're not like fucking Gagaheads or part of any cult-like fanbase like that. My experience with U2 fans at shows has been pretty great, except for the fucking asshole who shoved his camera in front of my face when Edge was playing the Sunday Bloody Sunday solo two feet away from me. Seriously, I could have reached out and given him a foot massage. Fuck that guy with the camera. I hope he has crabs, and I don't mean for dinner.

Anyway, I don't think U2 will be that obtrusive. They probably have fewer hardcore fans than they've ever had. And they're pretty good.

To U2 fans! (clink).

It's not a festival. It's a concert put on by a radio station in LA. And yes, the title of the radio station show is dumb, but they have clout in the music industry so can book popular acts. :p

Sent from my GT-I9500 using U2 Interference mobile app

They're not even on sale, bu I guess in anticipate of getting tickets, TicketsNow has GA's up for $400+ each

Annnnd, I'm having a little freakout. Just noticed that you can't buy tickets if you're not a CA resident. I haven't updated my billing address with my bank yet, and there's no way I can get over there to do it today, now.

EDIT: Last time I moved, Chase wouldn't let me update my address online, but I tried it just now and it seemed to work. Crossing my fingers, here.

But if you suddenly throw Madonna or Macca into the headliner spot of this show instead of U2, you would have the same result which is thousands of people that could give a fuck paying top dollar to sit through hours of "boring" acts so they can see the one they're obsessed with.

Yeah, but so? Aren't they entitled to that ticket just as much as anybody who wants to go see one of the smaller acts?

Night 2 is probably going to sell out quicker than Night 1. Good luck to those who are getting tickets!

Annnd...200 level. Damn.

EDIT: Got greedy, gave up good 200s, pulled much worse 200s. I deserve what I get.

HAHA And fuck me, nope, it won't let me buy the tickets because it says my Credit card is from out of state. Holy shit.

Well, this is some bullshit. Got in, pulled two GAs, got all the way through to the payment screen, and then it rejected my credit card with a Sacramento billing address because I don't live in the area.

They said all of CA was eligible, right? I'm trying again just to torture myself, and it's telling me no tickets available.

Faaaantastic.

I'm trying again too, I don't even know why. This is fucked. My billing and shipping address in my Ticketmaster account are in CA, and I updated my address with the bank. And not just CA, I live in LA!

Honestly, I'm blaming KROQ, what a stupid stipulation to have from the start. Was that to prevent scalping or something?

I'm trying again too, I don't even know why. This is fucked. My billing and shipping address in my Ticketmaster account are in CA, and I updated my address with the bank. And not just CA, I live in LA!

That's fugged! Annoying

Sent from my GT-I9500 using U2 Interference mobile app

Honestly, I'm blaming KROQ, what a stupid stipulation to have from the start. Was that to prevent scalping or something?

They do this for every Acoustic Christmas. It's usually restricted to LA, Orange, Ventura, San Bernadino and Riverside counties. Ticketmaster fucked up huge.

However, I'm truly thankful I even got in the building. They are crap seats, but at the forum, it will be fine.

I do however desperately need a drink.

Arrggh, I had the same issue - live in LA, all addresses are LA - and ticketmaster booted me after pulling up good seats. (although I probably wouldn't have pulled up good seats in the first place if everyone wasn't getting booted because of this f-up, right? Just trying to make myself feel better).

Hopefully scalpers got screwed too and it wasn't just us joe schmoes losing out . .

I actually love that stipulation and wish they'd always have the first few hours of sales only for people that live in the immediate area (provided it works, of course... which it seems to have not for you).

So many people pick NYC as their "destination" place to see big concerts... it's hard enough to get tickets with the 20 million people already here. A regional lock for the first hour or two would be nice.

I got totally shut out after it rejected my card the first time. I tried repeatedly and it just says sold out now.

I actually love that stipulation and wish they'd always have the first few hours of sales only for people that live in the immediate area (provided it works, of course... which it seems to have not for you).

So many people pick NYC as their "destination" place to see big concerts... it's hard enough to get tickets with the 20 million people already here. A regional lock for the first hour or two would be nice.

I mean, I guess you're right. That does make sense. I'm just TO'd. I'll get over it.

But I know not everyone has a fall-back, so I'm really sorry to the other people in this thread that things didn't go your way. At least we have the stream.

Yeah, they do these restrictions every year and never have a problem. Someone at Ticketmaster is about to lose a job, because wow. I feel kinda bad because I know the only reason I even have tickets is because someone couldn't buy them.

OMG! I'm the happiest person in the world right now! My amazing friend swapped tickets with me so I am now the proud owner of 2 GAs! Woohoo!

The regional lockout was a trojan horse. It was designed to fail from the start. I had three friends trying to get tickets too and all of us got shut out 2 or 3 times each with that "regional restricted" message at the end, even though all of us live and have billing addresses in LA.

Meanwhile, TicketsNow who is owned by TicketMaster, had no problem getting tickets.... Here are 116 of them:

KROQ Almost Acoustic Xmas Tickets at The Forum-CA December 14 2014 - Available at TicketsNow

If the show was only restricted to CA residents, and none of them got tickets, but the show sold out, who got in? Ticket Brokers. So its a Sold Out show for sure, but that doesn't mean the tickets belong to people filling seats. They will eventually, for 700 bucks. Nobody's losing a job over this, this was deliberate. It happens all the time.

I get that corporate entities have factions sell goods and trade finances between shingles under shady circumstances all the time, its just bizarre that this is one example where it happens in the public eye and they don't care how transparent it is.

If you look at their Twitter and Facebook feeds, this happened to virtually everyone, even people who live within walking distance of the Forum. People are pissed. It's one thing not to get tickets, its another thing to allow the system to tell you you've got tickets through the purchase steps only to release them at the end and tell you that you don't live in CA when you do.

It was an error. The system checking zip codes restricted every one. Once they fixed the problem, people were able to buy tickets. This wasn't a conspiracy it was a fuck up. I know a few people who were able to purchase once the zip code error was fixed, including myself.

I do think people should complain to ticketmaster who still hasn't even acknowledged the mistake.

Back
Top Bottom