u2 should have done better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, music has been around since the beginning of time. I wonder why no one has gotten their shit together and made an album of 100% perfect songs that everyone can agree are superb. You'd think they would know what such a thing sounds like by now.

If U2 should have done better for you thats fine.

I think they have made the best album theyve made since Achtung Baby and to me that is quite an achievement. If you dont like it as much as that thats too bad because its out now. You either have to put up with it or not.

U2 cant please or cater to everybody in their fanbase. Most bands can stay stagnent and the same in sound and their fans will like it because the fanbase is small enough and they know what to expect.

I will say this if Coldplay doesnt change or innovate their sound sooner rather then later they will be a band of the past because the fanbase is too large and will be expecting something more.

U2 did an excellent job on this album and if some people dont like it that is there choice.

Im looking forward to seeing it live it will be amazing.

Nothing is wrong with Boots. I love it. I think had U2 never released Vertigo, Boots would have a lot more liking to it. I think it just reminds people too much of Vertigo, which a lot of people don't like. So when you listen to Boots and are reminded of Vertigo, then you are reminded of HTDAAB, which turns into the shit album ATYCLB, and with all that negativity you don't even give Boots a chance and it gets a negative label by association. :down:

Nope.

I don't mind the new album but when you consider the amount of time they have had to make this, there really shouldn't be any weak songs on it. On No Line however, even the most ardent u2 fan will have to admit that boots, SUC and perhaps Crazy Tonight are nothing more than fillers. I think a lot of the blame has got to go to Bono who doesn't spend as much time with the band as he used to do. I love his charity work but I think it's really starting to have a negative impact on U2's music.

Um.. Bono *was* around for this album, even if he was running around a lot for Bomb. This was his time to fully concentrate on the music, which is where all that 'let me in the sound' stuff comes from.

You know, music has been around since the beginning of time. I wonder why no one has gotten their shit together and made an album of 100% perfect songs that everyone can agree are superb. You'd think they would know what such a thing sounds like by now.

they did! in somebody's eyes that is. Taste is subject, one mans treasure is another mans trash.

and i suspect you are being fun with that comment too btw.

I'll say this, i like SUC & Crazy, GYOB is "okay". In fact i like most of the album. But im not crazy about Moment of Surrender. Maybe i need to give it another listen, but as of right now i think it is a turd.

See how that works?

OMG!!! Yes, U2 are a bunch of jerks spending 5 years on an album and not putting out an album with 11 Ones on it:sad: God I need to re-evaluate this band. Now that I think about it why couldn't Joshua Tree be better? If they hadn't spent so much time writting WTSHNN for the album may be Exit wouldn't have been so quite? Or may be Trip Through Your Wires would have been replaced by another song?

Do they not think about what we want at all? I'm throwing out all of my U2 albums now:mad:

I don't mind the new album but when you consider the amount of time they have had to make this, there really shouldn't be any weak songs on it. On No Line however, even the most ardent u2 fan will have to admit that boots, SUC and perhaps Crazy Tonight are nothing more than fillers. I think a lot of the blame has got to go to Bono who doesn't spend as much time with the band as he used to do. I love his charity work but I think it's really starting to have a negative impact on U2's music.

I love when I'm told what I have to admit/believe/understand

Last night I think I figured out why I hate Unknown Caller and Crazy Tonight. The lyrics don't match the music. Especially with Crazy Tonight. It's too calm. Even the name of the song hints at it being a fun tune.

And the chanting in Unknown Caller sounds like a caveman trying to use a cell phone.

I really like SUC (I think I put it in the top 4 or 5 in the rating thread) and I enjoy boots. Crazy Tonight I'm not so crazy about, I rated it last.

The thing is, I'm not going to start a thread about how they shouldn't have put that song on the album because I'm sure for something else it's really good.

On No Line however, even the most ardent u2 fan will have to admit that boots, SUC and perhaps Crazy Tonight are nothing more than fillers.
I was amongst the first 100 people in the GA queue for U2's first Dublin gig in 2005. I've stood outside in the snow for 4 to meet Bono.
I went from Denmark to Japan to see U2 live (they eventually cancelled :doh: )
I'm on freaking a U2 DVD. On the Vertigo Milan DVD I'm the long haired dude two guys next to the guy whose camera Bono takes up during Elevation.
I've listened to Magnificent 56 times during the past 48 hours. Don't tell me what I like and don't like, and don't tell what makes me a U2 fan.

I'm really starting to hate these threads.
If you don't like the mid-3 songs, fine, but open your eyes. There's a new thread every 30 minutes about 9-song-album, how weak SUC is, how Boots is a filler, yadayadayada. You're entitled to your opinion, but keep it in one place and stop trying to diss other fans for liking something else.

OMG!!! Yes, U2 are a bunch of jerks spending 5 years on an album and not putting out an album with 11 Ones on it:sad: God I need to re-evaluate this band. Now that I think about it why couldn't Joshua Tree be better? If they hadn't spent so much time writting WTSHNN for the album may be Exit wouldn't have been so quite? Or may be Trip Through Your Wires would have been replaced by another song?

Do they not think about what we want at all? I'm throwing out all of my U2 albums now:mad:

:lmao: :up:

11 "Ones" :laugh:

I didn't bother to read the the whole thread, but I felt the Crazy Tonight hate and thought I'd respond. IT'S THE BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM!!! ...or close enough. Ok, I'm done.

Personally I don't think they are fillers at all. I like boots much more within the album than on it's own & I'm really starting to get into Crazy Tonight. Right now SUC is probably my least favourite song on the album, but I still like it, and I'm sure it's time will come when it grows on me. In the early days of the album each song is taking it's turn for me to "discover" it.

The band clearly made a very concious decision in adding them 3 songs right in the middle of the album, with two very powerful blocks of 4 songs either side. I'm sure they could have added 3 more heavy songs in the middle but maybe they thought that would be too much in this day & age. I think the album works very well as it is and we can only speculate as to how it would have worked with different songs occupying the middle 3 slots.

Wow, what a horribly presumptuous statement! That's one of the worst I've read here in a while.

As an "ardent U2 fan", I politely, but strongly disagree with you. I've always like GOYB. Sorry for having such horrid taste to enjoy a "mindless filler". And, to make matters worse, I think "Stand Up" is the best song on the album and that "Crazy" could be a wonderful hit song from this album.

Here I am, enjoying U2 for 26 years, and clearly I'm an idiot for liking these "fillers". :doh:

Fortunately, you are here to save the day! :applaud: I will now switch to loving only the more abstract U2 songs. Where's "Elvis Presley Ate America"?

All I can say is I love the whole thing:D

Yes I will admit eventually there will be some songs I will listen to more then others, But to me that doesn't make them weak its just up to individual taste.

I love SUC...I really discovered yesterday while driving in my car with NLOTH blasting and all the sudden I don't know SUC..hit me, I started dancing in my seat at a red light..:lol
Boots while I loved at first listen at 4:30am when the single first aired on Irish radio.

Crazy Tonight hit me when I heard the 30second clips and I heard the lyrics "Every beauty has to go out with an idiot"...I thought omg thats me!! (well two years ago now).

I think these songs take time, maybe they don't all hit you at once but I think eventually they do in different ways...give it time..and keep listening! :drool::hyper:

Crazy Tonight hit me when I heard the 30second clips and I heard the lyrics "Every beauty has to go out with an idiot"...I thought omg thats me!! (well two years ago now).

Now tell me, were you the beauty, or the idiot? :D

Haha just kidding. That line hit me too for some reason!

You've been a member since 02 and this is all you can come up with?

There's no evidence that Bono was in the studio any than the others, in fact there is a lot anectdotal evidence to the contrary. If any album was said to have suffered from Bono's absence it was ATYCLB, even the band members stated that Bono wasn't around as much...

Then again lyric and melody writing is much easier to take on the road then any other part of music... so this premise is pretty weak.

:down:

Now tell me, were you the beauty, or the idiot? :D

Haha just kidding. That line hit me too for some reason!

:lol: I was the beauty of course ..the idiot is gone!! :)...and yeah those words were powerful to me...thus my love for the song began :)

Any better than this album??? Possibly...:hmm::hmm: But they have to do a hell of a job then. This album is U2 at their best.:applaud::applaud::applaud:

You've been a member since 02 and this is all you can come up with?

There's no evidence that Bono was in the studio any than the others, in fact there is a lot anectdotal evidence to the contrary. If any album was said to have suffered from Bono's absence it was ATYCLB, even the band members stated that Bono wasn't around as much...

Then again lyric and melody writing is much easier to take on the road then any other part of music... so this premise is pretty weak.

:down:

To begin, I have not listened to the album yet, I'm waiting for March 3. However, why is it that every opinion someone gives that you do not agree with on this forum must be verified or proven with some sort of scientific proof?

Aren't you the one who continually says music is subjective? Well if it is, why are you telling someone to prove their subjectivity?

This is all "you could come up with"? What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Additionally, how the hell do you know where Bono was during the recording of this album? I'd say there is tons of circumstantial evidence which points to the fact over the last five years Bono was not in the studio as much as he should have been. Off the top of my head you have:

1. The fact the album took 5 years to make- the longest in-between time for them
2. The fact the album was delayed from October to Christmas to March
3. The fact entire recording sessions were scrapped.
4. The fact over the past 5 years Bono has been involved in big charity events and/or meetings which HAVE taken up his time on and around recording session dates.

All of this could be arguably connected to Bono being absent. Throw in his recently weak lyrics, and I think the OP has at least a valid point to consider.

Overall though, why is it that you respond to everyone's post with an automatic dismissal of their opinion, by ironically, giving your own just-as-tentative opinion?

This album did not take four years to make. The Rubin sessions were ditched halfway through, at which time the band started over. Thus, NLOTH only took two years to put together, which is not bad at all.

Honestly, you really don't know how much time they put into this album. Do you honestly believe that even the most ardent U2 fans will agree with you? There's no filler on this album. All of those songs that you mentioned fit in quite nicely in their spot on the album.

U2 should have done better my ass!

Look at you! You are funny as shit!

:wave:

This album did not take four years to make. The Rubin sessions were ditched halfway through, at which time the band started over. Thus, NLOTH only took two years to put together, which is not bad at all.

Depends on how you look at it. I look at it as they released an album in 2004. The next album released was 2009. That is five years, the longest time span between albums since they began. Bono's involvement with the world certainly has had an impact on that. How much is arguable. However, the OP certainly was within his right to point it out or argue that it is a factor.

1. The fact the album took 5 years to make- the longest in-between time for them

So, what you're saying is that the day after Bomb was released, they should've begun work on the new album. 11/23/2004 if you're scoring at home. Sorry, that doesn't work for me. Their work for Bomb pretty much ran all the way through to 2006. (ie: album promotion, extensive tour)

Even with Rubin in the mix, they've probably been working on this album since about 2007. So, that's a whopping 2 years. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom