U2 Set To Return The Torch To The Police

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarvis

Babyface
Twenty one years ago during the 1986 Amnesty International Tour in Giants Stadium, The Police played "Invisible Sun" and then gave their instruments to U2 who therafter completed the song. To many, it was the symbolic passing of the torch from the Police who ruled the rock scene then to U2.

U2 therafter released the Johsua Tree in 1987 to cement their spot as "Rock's Hottest Ticket" and validate the torch passing from The Police. For the past twenty years, U2 have held on to that throne. Bono stated during the 2000 release of All That You Can't Leave Behind that they were "reapplying to the best-band-in-the-world" job. When they released How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb in 2004, U2 declared they were in competition with acts like The Killers and Franz Ferdinand. Both albums were commercial and critical blockbusters, winning them numerous Grammies.

One year removed from their Grammy success, U2 have been slipping. Their U218 release got lukewarm commercial reaction from the casual music fans they had hoped to draw, and got criticism on the song selection from their more hardcore fanbase. Their new tracks got mixed reactions and failed to add fire to the last leg of their tour. The two singles tanked in the charts also.

With U2 slowing down and nothing new slated for this year, they have been showing some vulenrabiltiy in what was once an invincible armor as the best band in the world. And whether it is by an act of coincidence or destiny, the very band who passed the torch to U2 is back. The Police have reunited after the long hiatus that started when they passed on the torch to U2.

After a rousing performance of "Roxanne" in the very Grammy awards that U2 had dominated the previous year, and a huge world tour looming, it looks like the trio of Sting, Andy Summers, and Stewart Copeland are back to regain the torch they had passed to U2 more than two decades ago.

The Police are back.

lol. Yes, U2 are slipping into mediocrity, but I can assure you The Police will make only a commercial dent this time around, certainly not a cultural one. They will first and foremost get out there on a nostalgia driven mega-selling tour, and release material that no doubt is about as good as Stings recent output, ie, not very. It will still sell well based on the MOR/Adult Contemporary demographics love of a microwaved corpse, but in the end all will have to admit it will be nowhere near the heights achieved by the band on their original run. Good luck to them, I like both Sting and the Police very much, but this sort of thing happens all the time, and is generally about substandard quality raking in obscene amounts of money, and nothing more.

Yeah... I'm with Earnie on this one. They're going on a world tour, they might come up with a bit of new material on a new box set, but I don't think they're going to be releasing entirely new albums, going on more tours, etc... I think it's going to be kind of a one-time deal. At least that's the impression I'm getting. The priorities of The Police (at least at this point in time) are different... I highly doubt they're planning on remaining a fulltime band after everything is said and done.

<-- not making any sense. It's not wise to write posts at 1:30 am. LOL

Last edited:
Hard to be critical of this. The audience for both bands would be similar. I'm not a Police fan but I'd guess a lot of people who have been to see recent U2 tours will be at these Police shows.

The Police are reforming now to capitalise on the nostalgia craze. Period.

U2 arent on the slide!! Commercially they have rarely hit the singles chart so thats no concern. The police are cashing in so Sting must be skint and that Copeland bloke sick of doing I'm singing with a celeb toss he is involved in. The Police aren't fit to iron Edge's bandanna's let alone retrieve the mantle of best band in the world (given to U2 as they probably realised it was going to be ripped from them anyway!).

I wasn't all that impressed by the Police last night. Roxanne sounded so stale to me. I liked Sting in that shirt, that was about it :wink: I am still interested in what U2 still has left to do, even if I don't like some of their new stuff as much as some of their old stuff. I would still pay to see U2, whereas I can't imagine myself paying to see The Police. Of course it's not as if I was a huge Police fan to begin with. But it just seemed sort of silly last night :shrug: My feeling is that they're in this to make some quick bucks and it won't be any sort of lasting thing that will challenge U2.

:lol:

That was a mediocre performace at best. They will play a few summer dates of all old material and fade away. That's it.

U2 will pass the torch someday but no one has their hand out grabbing for it right now.

The big enemy is not The Police, but bands like the media-praised (whice I just hate) Arctic Monkeys - who are dependant of the new 2nd album, Franz Ferdinand, and the most dangerous one... the couple Coldplay (on the attack again) with Brian Eno.

If U2 will continue to make this absurd actions - such as bad compilations of 16 singles, improvement of the tiring poverty/Africa speeches, duets with everyone who asks for it - you can bet that they will go on the trash easily.
As I said before, U2 are in a similar situation as they were back in 1989/90, the context is just different.
I won't be surpreised that they will be backlashed by media and the public even if the next album is great.

I am a fan of both bands. But I have to side with U2 on this. Sting's ego got the best of The Police. U2 did just finish a tour that had many problems, but they got through it. There will be a lull for a couple years, but they will be back. Are The Police going to be back after this tour? Maybe they will be. But U2 has been able to stay together for 30 years without letting anyone's ego destroy the band.

I am glad to see the Police back but I doubt Sting would have gone along with it if he was still having success in his solo career. He was always better in the band than out of it.

Good article, but there's a few assumptions you state as fact. U218 didn't fail on any level. It did exactly what the band hoped it would do; getting a collection out there for the casual fans and was also a gift to their new label; mercury records who requested the compliation.

Saying it didn't succeed in part because of fan protest to the track listing is like saying the two Best Of collections failed as well. Fans didn't like the track lists of those either. The 80's set was criticized for its lack of early material; specificaly from October. The 90's set was derided for the remixes of the Pop tracks and the inclusion of the ATYCLB tracks.

The two new songs didn't really have the opportunity to "add fire" to the last leg, Windows wasn't even released as a single until after the leg was finished. And Saints, well, the leg was what, an entire seven cities? Not exactly a tour that was designed to re-ignite the world; it was a tour designed to fulfill an obligation the band felt they had to their fans down there.

Plus, Saints received a lot of radio airplay and did very well as a download, and is still charting there. No, it wasn't With Or Without You, but Rock doesn't chart all that well anymore.

You seem to agree that U2 successfully reapplied for biggest band in the world both in 2000 and 2004. Well, in those years they also released The Sweetest Thing, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Electrical Storm, The Hands That Built America & Beat On The Brat. None of those did any better than Saints or Windows except maybe The Sweetest Thing; and that's debatable - it never lit the charts on fire either and certainly didn't light a fire on either the Elevation or Vertigo tours.

Nothing wrong with the Police, but a single performance of Roxanne, even a good one as it was, certainly doesn't make it realistic to suddenly declare they're going to overtake U2.

People have been declaring the demise of U2 since 1990. Until the band themselves decide to call it quits, or if they decide to really go obscure with their musical direction and they know themselves they aren't writing for chart success, any statement of them losing their supremacy is premature to say the least.

Oh, and you state as fact, "with nothing new slated for this year" from U2. Actually the new album is slated for this year. The band and Paul McGuiness have said so. Doesn't mean we believe them, but they're more in the know than you. :wink:

Last edited:
The torch is still in U2's hands. How can you pass the torch if you're still in the game? The Police haven't released a new studio album in 24 years.

Sting needs to wear sleeves. It's scary seeing someone his age in a vest.

U2 isn't going to be passing the torch back to the Police. They're a novelty act now. If anything, the torch will go to a group like Arcade Fire or Franz Ferdinand -- but not for a few years just yet!

You're all very confident that U2 will still be on the top for some more years. At mid-40's and after 2 successful albums and tour, but after a tiring image... I wouldn't be that sure.

The media is the new biggest powered institution. If it says that U2 won't be on the top, that'll happen and neither Sir Bono can't do anything against it.
U2 should be much more careful with their steps in this moment of the championship.

Jarvis your post has just made me laugh for the 1st time in a while, thx.

I dont know what you mean by u2 are slipping , their 3rd best of was a sucess. The Police by no means are any where near the status of u2.

Back
Top Bottom