U2: read this! (it may hurt but it's the truth!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
Although U2 is my favourite band ever and has been for many years, it's getting harder and harder for me to keep loyal to them all the way.
To me, their nonchalance and their eagerness to wanting to appeal to the masses have become a problem that I can not deny.

Introducing HTDAAB and it's first single Vertigo, U2 used shitloads of swagger and blah-blah to be heard by the masses. It is known that they, again like with ATYCLB, wanted to be the biggest of the biggest !! Again...!
Well, of course they are! But for years now the music starts to suffer with this attitude.
First of: I know that when you have a new album you have to use some media/advertising to let people know it's out there. But the way U2 uses the media nowadays is one step away from: "Along with your Happy-Meal comes the new U2-single: Original Of The Species !!"

I'm getting bored with Bono's blah-blah about U2 still wanting to be the best, the biggest, and so on...Bono: shut up!!, and just MAKE great music! Don't talk about it! Get your ass FULL TIME in the studio and CREATE with the boys extraordinary music like you've done in the years before! Create landscapes, atmospheres…
I admire you for your spirit and effort for the good cause, but the music suffers from it! And I'm already aware that you've got life all figured out and have al lot of expensive sunglasses and friends. It’s seems all to be about posing now: looking cool, know how to look when you talk, all those little “Robbie Williams-like manners” Come on man, focus on the music! Get mysterious again, epic, poetic, ambient, take your fans on a ride like in the old days with new music!

I think people nowadays hunger for some imagination, getting sucked into landscapes, atmospheres in music, not only sincerity. Don't we all want to hear a band that doesn't give a shit if the new CD sells, but want to make a record that is original, experimental and is not written for the masses. Like The Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby and Zooropa were. Bono said about HTDAAB: "I want every song to sound like it could be released as a single.." Man, with this attitude in the songwriting-proces they tend to shift towards sounding like Bon Jovi or The Rolling Stones.

U2 should focus on making surprising, artistically interesting songs again that come from another place like: Tomorrow, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, In God's Country, Love Comes Tumbling, Walk To The Water (talking about a gem!), The Fly, Acrobat, Until The End Of The World, Lemon, Heartland, Love Is Blindness, Please, When I Look At The World, Mercy…
These song are creative, emotional in a subtle way, multi-layered, spiritual, and come from places out of this world. While, except for Yahweh and A Man And A Woman!, the songs on HTDAAB sound like everyday life. Down to earth, to straight-on, flat, plain lyrics, no surprises, so therefore less interesting and not long lasting as the earlier albums full of gems, and not full of "hit-singles"!
More and more you hear people getting bored with U2 because they don't tickle the listeners imagination anymore en don't delve into unknown territory. I'm afraid right now they've fallen into the trap of being the biggest, therefore pleasing the masses who might as well go to a Rolling Stones-concert. Come on man, I want my favourite band to sound the way that doesn't attract a Rolling Stones audience. U2 should not sell out and become they're on tribute-band !

Quote's from another forum:
.."Their latest album (which is a very good album btw) suffered from "lazy songwriting." C'mon, are you really going to say Vertigo is... fresh. The riff is cool... I'll say that, but it's almost like Elevation. The way the bridge takes the song down, and then busts right back into the chorus... it's Elevation verbatim, but just a different melody. How many times does Bono rhyme 'steal' and 'kneel' on 'Bomb, and let's not forget "I'll give you EVERYTHING that you want/except the THING that you want". Look, I don't care what sales have to say. 'Bomb isn't progressive. It's dried up.
Bono: Bring back the metaphors and deep lyrics. Edge: Bring back the sonic sounds and soaring guitar solos. It's time to venture into deeper, daring and perhaps darker territory on the next album."

I'm afraid I a have to agree on these quotes.
Further on: Miracle Drug has the sound, chords and structure of Beautiful Day, City Of Blinding Lights the most predictable, cheesy song ever by U2, All Because Of You is like Rolling Stones and still they didn’t nail this song, just boring rock-and-roll for elderly men, One Step Closer has nice lyrics but: yawn…boring, Crumbs is a straight copy from Walk On (talking about lazy songwriting!) Anyway, 8 out of 11 songs have major problems!
The songs nowadays have no unpredictable chord-sequences, special atmosphere, or poetic lyrics. It’s good songs but down to the ground.
The point is: many years ago U2 was a young band who wanted to make music no one ever heard before: spontaneous, passionate, spiritual and while trying they achieved this but they weren’t aware of it at the time. They were half in the shadow, half in the light. One could hear that creating extraordinary music was their obsession. They were full-time passionately attached to this obsession. Nowadays they can’t/want seem to reach that point anymore. The last 2 albums are good, with good songs on them. But not more than that. 85% is indeed dry and one-dimensional.
Now that they have the attitude: “o.k., we now know how to write a good song, so listen what we got!” (with a lot of swagger). Sorry Bono, you can scream to the world that City Of Blinding Lights is one of the best songs ever, but it’s nowhere near Streets, Unforgettable or Please!! And I think he knows it. The more a song or album lacks this magic, the more he brags about it, and feels he has to back it up with a lot of noise and blah-blah…Everybody knows that by now Bono! It’s so see-through…

But I’m still waiting for a great return of my favourite band. And I’m convinced when they keep a few things in mind, we’ll hear them as we never heard them before, full of surprises. A few things that could help them:
1. take risks musically (like in the AB and Zooropa-era)
2. forget about wanting to be the biggest, best or whatever!
3. in songwriting: search for weird, unknown territory, dark/light sounds, dark/light landscapes
4. forget about: “how do we appeal to the largest number of listeners/audience”
5. forget about: “how do we play this live?”
6. forget the down-to-earth thing: get the passion and the poetry back
7. u2 is a 6-member band: get Eno and Lanois back for the atmosphere and special moods, the colour, the melody, the extra push for the surprises
8. Bono: be there 100% when it comes to the writing process. In the studio, FULL TIME, with the others all the time! Stimulate each other! Fight, argue, experiment, whatever but look for new grounds!

It’s going to be hard labour again for them. Like UF and AB were… But man, what a result! And I think they can pull it of again. They just need to forget their ego’s and giganticness for a while!

horsehooey.

there have always been and will always be a subsect of the U2 fanbase that says "yeah, they were good until they released that last album"

they were around when Achtung Baby came out
they were around when Pop came out
and they're still around now.

and in 2010, after 2 more albums, they''l be saying:

why can't they go back to the HTDAAB sound. they were good until they came out with (2007 album)

I just don't buy it.

I agree with some of the points, but They are still doing things diffrent, its not completly stale.

Sure ATYCLB and HTDAAB aren't no Pop, Zooropa or Achtung Baby, but they've been done.

Like Bono says, they dont want to repeat themselves (yet they play vertigo twice :wink:) (Oh but I love it!)

The songs evolve in the live arena anyway, look at Vertigo, City O Blinding Lights, All Because Of You (on the third leg), Original Of The Species (electric).

(even look at the older songs, like Bad, Streets, Until The End Of The World, New York even, so much better live.)

Miracle Drug, I think was one song that never really took off for me live, I enjoyed seeing it, but it wasnt my favourite part of the show.

In summing up pointless post #7089 that i've made on this site...they are still being experimental, just on a lesser scale, its still better than some of the music other artists make.

Of course a lot of this has been said before...

But it's the finger on the right spot. Try to comment to what's been said.. Not with one-liners!

onyourkneesboy said:
Talking about a band being daring!

So the next album should be like...say American Idiot?
But titled "Irish Guiness"

Which tells the story of St.Bono and Edge Of The Future :giggle:

If U2 were to do reinvention in the way Green Day did with American Idiot, (or corse renventing in the U2 style) The next album would indeed be a step above the previous two.

bono_man2002 said:
Sure ATYCLB and HTDAAB aren't no Pop, Zooropa or Achtung Baby, but they've been done.

Like Bono says, they dont want to repeat themselves

That's what people don't get. Everyone wants them to "be original" again, and yet the same people want them to return to the spirit of AB, Zooropa & Pop. Makes no sense.

What people really don't get are that ATYCLB and HTDAAB are original for U2. Neither album actually sounds like anything else U2 has done. And they sound different from each other. Yes, it's true. :yes:

MrBrau1 said:

Yes.

And if there'd been internet message boards after AB came out, you'd have 10,000 more.

Same shit. Different decade.

Exactly!

Apply that to the setlists also. People would have been complaining all over the place about the Zoo TV setlists at the time if there was an internet (IE their static nature in particular). But at this point, people label the Zoo tour as the second coming. :shrug:

onyourkneesboy said:
Of course a lot of this has been said before...

But it's the finger on the right spot. Try to comment to what's been said.. Not with one-liners!

I believe I'll use one-liners if I want:madwife:

:wink:

Blue Room said:

Exactly!

Apply that to the setlists also. People would have been complaining all over the place about the Zoo TV setlists at the time if there was an internet (IE their static nature in particular). But at this point, people label the Zoo tour as the second coming. :shrug:

:yes:

I just picked up a few JT boots & they're essentially the same exact show, plus or minus two or three songs----just like the Vertigo Tour.

That said, recognizing that people would have bitched in the past won't stop people from bitching now...much to our chagrin. :huh:

Their music is STILL original, relevant and full of substance.

I'll tell you this:

NO OTHER BAND does it for me like U2 -

in fact, they are the ONLY rock and roll that I still listen to.

I listen to U2 and house music and classical music.

I can't think of another rock album by another rock band that I have felt the need to buy in over a decade.

The Cure?

New Order?

Dave Matthews?

Radiohead?

Coldplay?

BORING.

U2 ARE amazing, ALWAYS have been amazing, and probably will ALWAYS be amazing.

Try telling me who's better or a close second!

Just don't make me laugh.

Last edited:
Great thread
tard.gif

not original??

have you seen the light curtains? have you seen the relevancy of bullet the blue sky and vertigo?

bad lyrics? did you know that vertigo tied in how much the world sucks with the temptation of Christ in the desert?

still relevant, still aware, still hungry- all the signs of being the biggest band in the world, which is what helps keep them feeling like they have something to say. thats what achtung baby was about- being number one and still finding a new angle.

and, addressing another note, would you be happier if bono and u2 sang about the problems of the world without doing something about it with the "currency" of their celebrity? would you make them your court jester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom