U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So unfortunate that the ones that are part of the gang gets a free pass on this forum.....

The CLICK!

Steve, didn't you post a fake tracklist a couple years ago?

I don't know, maybe Sean is b.s.'ing us, but in reading the last few pages, I'm more sickened by how some of you have treated him.

Again, I don't entirely understand where the ire for Shawn is coming from. To feel a sense of righteous indignation about his failure to supply "evidence," you would have to first believe he owes the internet something. He really doesn't. You can either take his claims or leave them. Either way, he's not hurting anyone but himself by lying, unless you let him disappoint you by buying into what he's saying. It's the internet; take everything with a boulder of salt and you won't make an ass of yourself.

I'm tempted to just close this thread and any spinoffs until we actually do have some information about the album, because the tone in the last few threads has been anything but civilized, and the level and amount of insults, mocking and personal beefs aired for all has pretty much drowned out whatever worthwhile conversation there is.

[/rant]

Yes. Please.

The thing is that people keep looking in here on the off chance that there may be some news, but the atmosphere is just so incredibly toxic. Given that this is probably the first place that newcomers to Interference visit, this is terrible not only for us here but also for Interference's cred as a viable fan board. Maybe if we have automatic closure on new album threads until there's actual news, everybody can go away, grow up a bit and come back with something to actually talk about.

As for not reporting, I honestly have a hard time telling what's reportable and what's not. Mods are scarce around here lately and only give warnings on stuff that is outrageously out of line, and all of the constant smaller insulting stuff gets to slide. I really can't tell how much of this BS Interference is okay with, but personally I'd love to see a bit more "watch your mouth, kid" around here.

Again, I don't entirely understand where the ire for Shawn is coming from. To feel a sense of righteous indignation about his failure to supply "evidence," you would have to first believe he owes the internet something. He really doesn't. You can either take his claims or leave them. Either way, he's not hurting anyone but himself by lying, unless you let him disappoint you by buying into what he's saying. It's the internet; take everything with a boulder of salt and you won't make an ass of yourself.

:up:

I appreciate a lot of the support I seem to be getting and will just simply look past the negative. I'd take a jab from Headache at this point. The point of this threat is to discuss rumors and possibilities. I simply just supplied what I know. Take it or leave it.

As for not reporting, I honestly have a hard time telling what's reportable and what's not. Mods are scarce around here lately and only give warnings on stuff that is outrageously out of line, and all of the constant smaller insulting stuff gets to slide. I really can't tell how much of this BS Interference is okay with, but personally I'd love to see a bit more "watch your mouth, kid" around here.

Agreed.

Mods used to be everywhere around here. The only thing that needed to ever be reported was the stuff that was above and beyond. Things like the constant trolling of misinformation was taken care of by the mods. Now it isn't. And when it's not taken care of, right or wrong, the members tend to take care of things themselves.

Steve took things to an entirely new level here... but it's almost as if Shaun wanted it to happen by constantly begging people to Google him. He HAD to know what would come up if somebody actually did.

I went after him pretty hard as well, because he has a consistent pattern of trolling people here with fake information given to him by his "sources" which he then defends to the death... as if that's what his intentions were to begin with.

If I'm wrong for preemptively calling this out before his BS leads to another thousand pages of people who dont know his history here getting their hopes up? So be it.

Click fucking clack.

Reporting something is the only sure way to get mod action. Some people need to take things into their own hands if they're bothered by something.

It's obvious we only have three active mods these days. It's asking a lot of them to be here for every single post.

But you use that report button and they get a surefire notification that something is wrong.

As for Larry's comment to a fan about hoping the album being FINISHED (not release) by the end of the year,i doubt he would have said that if recording was done by now.

Someone needs to hack into their private emails. That's the only way to end this cycle of perpetual overanalysis. (to the fans who are actually considering this - I'm just kidding btw).

You start out nice, Headache, but then go on to justify vigilantism and up the hostility again. Again I'll say, "Incredibly toxic atmosphere".

Also observe that at this very moment there are 54 guests viewing this thread.

"Click clack" will not take care of this, guys. I'm so tired of folks on this forum saying "I wouldn't be such an asshole, except that he was practically begging for it." Time to start policing yourself before others.

Also, with the Clayton thing, I was just proving none of us are perfect. And I never used the Lords name in vein whenever I use swears. I was one of the ones who called to have the name of that last thread changed. And back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Also, with the Clayton thing, I was just proving none of us are perfect. And I never used the Lords name in vein whenever I use swears. I was one of the ones who called to have the name of that last thread changed. And back to our regularly scheduled thread.

As a person of faith, I, too was bothered by the comments you made to Steve about God judging him, Shawn. Just thought you might want to know that you should maybe think before you make comments like that about what you're truly saying to the other person.

Reporting something is the only sure way to get mod action. Some people need to take things into their own hands if they're bothered by something.

It's obvious we only have three active mods these days. It's asking a lot of them to be here for every single post.

But you use that report button and they get a surefire notification that something is wrong.

"Click clack" will not take care of this, guys. I'm so tired of folks on this forum saying "I wouldn't be such an asshole, except that he was practically begging for it." Time to start policing yourself before others.

This and this. There really are only 3 active moderators now, and we all have our own jobs and busy lives outside this forum that we voluntarily moderate. We can't be everywhere policing the small stuff. At some point the community is what you guys make it to be. As it is right now I'm pretty sure we can all agree it's far from ideal. And if we're all concerned that too much small stuff is sliding through and negatively changing the tone, then it can't just be on us mods to correct that. It's going to take some self policing on everyone's part, whether that means holding back the easy jab even if they're begging for it, some forgiveness of past transgressions, or not taking part in (or even calling mod attention to) a pile on. It's also going to mean showing just a bit more common respect for everyone and not intentionally bullshitting people or purposefully trolling for reactions. But I'd say at the core it starts with making sure you're contributing to the kind of atmosphere you'd prefer this place to have.

As for what is/isn't reportable - it has sort of fallen into the big stuff lately, but if you think a thread is taking a turn for the worse, and it's not just one identifiable thing, or you think the thread might just warrant a little more attention or needs a slight course correction or whatever, by all means, feel free to let us know - pm one of us or report a post and explain in the reason that it's more a general thing.

Last edited:
so why don't we all just move on already rather than harping on the last 5-6-whatever pages of posts?

relevant to new album discussion: shawn's claim, headache's point that shawn was wrong in the past, as recently as 2011.

irrelevant: everything else.

as with pretty much anything that's not official, it's taken with the smallest grain of salt. if shawn is right, it's a pretty good educated guess that the album would come out that week. if he's wrong, he's wrong, and it won't surprise me one bit considering he was incorrect about the 360° shows. so whatever.

hopefully u2 will just throw us all some sort of bone in either direction by the end of the month.

#WeWill

so why don't we all just move on already rather than harping on the last 5-6-whatever pages of posts?

relevant to new album discussion: shawn's claim, headache's point that shawn was wrong in the past, as recently as 2011.

irrelevant: everything else.

Add in there the bit where Lar' said it was "not quite finished". Which most likely means "mixing" or "artwork/photos". Since he's in NYC and B's in France, the 'recording' phase is most likely done.

I think we will all be a little less touchy once we get some confirmed news and all the speculation right now is just that, speculation. Hell even U2 changes their minds a lot with all their guesses, delays, etc and we just go with the flow at the end of the day and get back to loving the greatest band on the planet even though they sometimes require an insane amount of patience!

This and this. There really are only 3 active moderators now, and we all have our own jobs and busy lives outside this forum that we voluntarily moderate. We can't be everywhere policing the small stuff. At some point the community is what you guys make it to be. As it is right now I'm pretty sure we can all agree it's far from ideal. And if we're all concerned that too much small stuff is sliding through and negatively changing the tone, then it can't just be on us mods to correct that.
Wouldn't it help if some of the more levelheaded, regular posters were offered a moderator position to help you 3 out? This is a pretty large forum, so wouldn't a couple extra faces help with the problems? Even if they don't have the same authority as you 3 have. Or perhaps that's not as easy as it sounds. Just a thought. :)

This isn't true. I'm still waiting for action to be taken against Diemen for breaking my rules in the Funny Internet thread :(

This isn't true. I'm still waiting for action to be taken against Diemen for breaking my rules in the Funny Internet thread :(

I self moderated and suspended myself from that thread.

even though that rule isn't actually posted in the thread, so technically...

Last edited:
How cool it'd be if the new album has Bono playing harmonica on a song?
How long has it been since the last time?

Can we get more mods, if possible, please? As hard as people try, it's going to be hard to police ourselves, especially if sometimes we can't tell from our own perspectives what's appropriate and what's not.

I'm a regular lurker (rarely a poster) on several other online forums, and I have to say, they're generally rather more civilized, not because of the people, but rather because they all have a number of active mods who are quick to catch things within a post or two and keep threads on track.

Can we get more mods, if possible, please? As hard as people try, it's going to be hard to police ourselves, especially if sometimes we can't tell from our own perspectives what's appropriate and what's not.

I'm a regular lurker (rarely a poster) on several other online forums, and I have to say, they're generally rather more civilized, not because of the people, but rather because they all have a number of active mods who are quick to catch things within a post or two and keep threads on track.

A society shouldn't need multiple enforcers to ensure that it's behaviour is kept on check. The best way for that to happen is by self-regulation rather than by having someone watching over your shoulder all the time. This is not a school yard, so we shouldn't need the teacher to slap us on the wrists when we step out of line.

Having said that, as a fellow regular lurker and irregular poster, I have to say that the kinds of debates I've seen around here in the last while are incredibly off-putting. I come here to discuss U2 and their music and to check out if there is any news on the new album, and to engage in challenging but good-natured debate with like-minded people who may, or may not, share my opinion on certain elements of U2's career to date.

What I've seen over the last while, however, ranges from victimisation and borderline bullying to blatant goading, from ludicrous intransigence to hyper-sensitivity and over-reaction, with comments that range from the puerile to the sexist, and everything in between - and there's a lot of the puerile, by the way.

Welcome to the Internet, I suppose...

Anyway, I've had enough. After more than ten years of reading this site (I can't remember if this was Zoo Nation before it became Interference, but if so, add a few more years on), it's just not worth it.

A society shouldn't need multiple enforcers to ensure that it's behaviour is kept on check. The best way for that to happen is by self-regulation rather than by having someone watching over your shoulder all the time. This is not a school yard, so we shouldn't need the teacher to slap us on the wrists when we step out of line.

Having said that, as a fellow regular lurker and irregular poster, I have to say that the kinds of debates I've seen around here in the last while are incredibly off-putting. I come here to discuss U2 and their music and to check out if there is any news on the new album, and to engage in challenging but good-natured debate with like-minded people who may, or may not, share my opinion on certain elements of U2's career to date.

What I've seen over the last while, however, ranges from victimisation and borderline bullying to blatant goading, from ludicrous intransigence to hyper-sensitivity and over-reaction, with comments that range from the puerile to the sexist, and everything in between - and there's a lot of the puerile, by the way.

Welcome to the Internet, I suppose...

Anyway, I've had enough. After more than ten years of reading this site (I can't remember if this was Zoo Nation before it became Interference, but if so, add a few more years on), it's just not worth it.

Gah! 'It's' should read 'its'. Stupid iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom