U2 on Uk rich list and are worth........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kimby said:

We've explained this to her before...she chooses not to listen:shrug:

:banghead:

Look, for God's sake, all I'm trying to say is there are reasons OTHER PEOPLE IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC SEE HIM AS A HYPOCRITE!! I am not stupid, I know the whole story, I even worked for Jubilee 2000! All the attacks and lectures are barking up the wrong tree and you're completely missing the point and wasting your time.

You have to realize, the ordinary person on the street doesn't love Bono and U2 and is not so eager to see the good or make excuses as we are. I'm not even bashing him. All I'm saying is that there is a public image problem with the way the public perceives him. I have tried to point out how certain things look to the average non Bono worshipping person. You are lecturing the wrong person, go tell them. Look at the 'U2 and young people' thread. People were posting their friends saw Bono as a hypocrite. It's a common thing among casual or non fans. You can preach and preach to me and other fans and it does no good. All I have EVER tried to get across is that he does have that image problem, and nothing you say to me will do anything about that. I'm only trying to explain to those who don't believe it that it's there, and to get you to understand it does exist, regardless of what you or I or any other loving fan thinks or says. Okay? :)

Last edited:
Yes, but is it worth continually pointing out when it doesn't really add much to the discussion? Who cares if hormonal teenagers think he's has a Jesus complex? It's not like he's losing any ground. He's become more popular politically, the evangelists are eating him up, he's raising more money, starting more aids and lobby orgs, and getting more people to sign up for ONE. There's not enough people who think he's a hypocrite to come even close to "the general public". For every kid that says he's an annoying hypocrite, I can find ten people my parent's age with more money and more power politically who are drooling over the ground he walks upon.

My issue is not whether or not people are listening to him - because they obviously are - but whether the solutions he's pushing and the types of things he's endorsing are realistic long term solutions. I think it's more important to analyze where the money is going than who is giving exactly how much.

I agree, Liesje. Sure, there are people who badmouth Bono, but there are a ton of people who badmouth any major rock star. Once you get to a certain level of celebrity it comes with the territory, I don't think Bono has any more detractors than any other big celeb. So I respectfully disagree with the idea that he has an 'image problem', I think he has a lot of fans, and the usual number of haters, and then a large number of people who know him as 'that U2 guy who's always talking about Africa' and not much else.

U2 Kitten, I think I've said in the past that I disagree with the idea that Bono is not 'putting his money where his mouth is', but since no one knows for sure I most definitely respect your right to your own opinion. I do think that I and some other people get a little confused with your posts when you say things like " It does bug me to see him lecturing others in a holier than thou voice about 'saving lives' when he's really not putting his money where his mouth is." and then becoming upset because people think you have a problem with him when in fact you are only worried about his public image. If you have some issues with the way Bono does things, well, again, you have every right to your POV, but sometimes I don't think your stance is clear to everyone else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom