U2 Induction Ceremony -- What songs do they play?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flying FuManchu said:

They didn't play Jaded

They played Jaded. They played about half the song and then let it fade into Train.

Prince may have had an OK album, but nothing came out of it. It was nothing to previous albums. U2 has an album that is outsaling previous albums.

The fact is that your no one's done it before theory is BS.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Do you honestly think anyone would want to listen you the Lion King?

Rolling Stones may have had a new album but they haven't been relevant for years at that point.

My guess will be either I Will Follow or Out of Control, Streets, and One.

The Stones may not be relevant NOW but at the release of Steel Wheels... I think they were still relevant at the time.

The more I think about it, the more important I think the song selection is....probably because they are still so relevant...has anyone else been more so at their time of induction?

Whatever it is....know we'll be gettting great downloads of it.

Do Miss America said:

They played Jaded. They played about half the song and then let it fade into Train.

Prince may have had an OK album, but nothing came out of it. It was nothing to previous albums. U2 has an album that is outsaling previous albums.

The fact is that your no one's done it before theory is BS.

It is not BS... So you consider the snippet = to playing a whole song? I wasn't sure about the Aerosmith thing b/c I did remember them singing a snippet of a song then a classic song but couldn't remember if it was Superbowl or RnR HOF... Prince did an instrumental interlude stuff on his RnR HOF performance that wasn't part of the original music to the songs that he played, I would look at it as the same thing to a degree or Aerosmith trying to be sneaky. Otherwise, WHY DIDN'T they PLAY the whole song?

As for the downgrading of Prince's phenomenal year... THE PAST year with his recent album and tour, I would say Prince was very relevant. He of course doesn't match his previous successes but it still sold well from what I understand. I doubt HTDAAB will outsell Joshua Tree or Achtung but that doesn't make U2 less relevant in my eyes. Wow... on one hand, people on this board say albums sales aren't important for relevance but here someone says it is. I didn't know album sales were the be all and end all of criteria for relevance.

The fact is this...U2 dont even want to be going into the hall of fame at this time they have said that...so in light of that I believe they should play what they want to play. Who knows how much time they have to play anyway probably not much.

they should play Electrical Storm. it'd be the perfect song... "If the sky could crack there must way back to love and only love" <-- to me this song is a message to its loyal fans and this line really signifies the rebirth of the Band coming into the 2000's.

Gone could be another choice: "I'm not coming down", "You can keep your suit of lines" <-- could kinda symbolize that hey, we're not going to retire yet

Helter Skelter <-- going to the bottom and getting back to the top (which u2 has done time and time again in terms of their visibility & popularity between every album)

Still haven't found what I'm looking for <-- symbolizing the band isn't done their duty

Kite <-- induction to the hall isn't goodbye

Love and Peace <-- political statement

Mysterious Ways <-- when U2 was truly the top of the "pops" (now they're just top of the "rock")

New Year's Day <-- "say its true, its true, we can breakthough! though torn in two we can be one!", "I will begin again"; U2 broke through barriers, U2 beginning from the start again

One <-- one of their best pieces written to date and probably the single most important song in U2 history, if this song wasn't written, we wouldn't be talking about them right now

Streets <-- their best live song, and the song which propelled them into the stratosphere, and it has an everlasting quality

Out of Control <-- first song

She's a mystery girl <-- they keep playing this song, i have a feeling they may eventually include this one on an album (perhaps the next album or the best of 2000-2010)

until the end of the world <-- their best song in terms of all 4 members of the band playing/singing at their finest

walk on <-- if they were retiring, they'd probably play this, but they aren't

With or without you <-- in same category as streets

zoo station <-- unlikely, but would be a great way to say, hey we're still around and ready to go

Westport said:
....or they could just leave everyone opened mouth with a rendition of Mercy.:drool:

Open mouthed, looking at each other in total bewilderment, saying "who the hell's song is that?"

They will play Playboy Mansion.

thier going in weather they want to or not,lol if they play 3 or more songs, i'd say a new song is cool. if its 1 or 2 it should be a classic. like if the play 3, i;d say SYCMIOYO then i will follow or one, or whatever. hell if they got 5 songs i;d say play two new songs.

Yahweh said:
The fact is this...U2 dont even want to be going into the hall of fame at this time they have said that...so in light of that I believe they should play what they want to play. Who knows how much time they have to play anyway probably not much.

Maybe they say that but it was a given and it doesn't help that they participate a LOT in the rock n roll hall of fame with speeches and such.

Flying FuManchu said:

It is not BS... So you consider the snippet = to playing a whole song?

The reason I say it's BS is you keep saying it's lame because they are self promoting. Playing a snippet I think is even worse. By playing a snippet you're making sure to remind everyone you have a new album but you're not even committed enough to play the whole song.

Prince had lost a lot of relevance at the time(due to his own actions which I respect, but still he'd lost his relevance), Rolling Stones had lost it well before they were inducted, Aerosmith had breakups come backs and overall just shitty music by the time they were inducted, others had to reunite for their inductions.

Look what I'm trying to get at is U2 are in a very unique position. I can't think of any other band who's been inducted the very first year they were elgible, still together, no reunions, new album, sold out tour, and still very relevant at the same time.

I say let them do whatever the fuck they want.

Do Miss America said:

Exactly. If U2 want to play something new, U2 can play something new. If U2 want to play something old, U2 can play something old. I think they should play one song from the start of their career, one from the middle (i.e. One), and one from the new album - after all, part of the reason they're being inducted is that they have longevity that simply no-one else has ever had. All this crap about 'rules' and 'breaking tradition' makes this sound like some bloody indie board where stupid restrictions are invented for no apparent reason. And in any case, aren't U2 all about defying tradition and expectation?

My perfect setlist, if limited to three songs:
1. Out Of Control - first single
2. One - anthem
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own OR City Of Blinding Lights - newest singles (it appears COBL will indeed be the next single)

"This is how we began, this is why we're legends, this is why we're still legends."

Why wouldn't they play Vertigo or Sometimes? Both of those songs are great. My best (lame) guess is:

I Will Follow
One
Vertigo

Who knows and so what if they play something new, I don't think it reflects badly on them at all. U2 can play whatever they want, whenever they want, they've earned that privilege.

Hard to play one, and then count off "uno, dos, tres, catorce." Just kind of seems uh, anti-something.

I don't know about tradition but I wouldn't mind a new song being played, namely Sometimes. It's a great song, and deserves another boost beside the Grammy performance.

Other songs they might play: One and probably Where the streets have no name. (they usually play 3 songs at Hall of fame don't they?)
If not a new song, then Beautiful day - 3 songs from 3 decades.

Do Miss America said:

Rolling Stones had lost it well before they were inducted

I totally disagree with that statement. Steel Wheels was a multi-platinum smash in the U.S. and peaked at #3 on the Billboard 200 album chart. They also had a Top Five hit from the album with Mixed Emotions and another Top 40 hit with Rock And A Hard Place.

And the tour was, at the time, the highest grossing tour ever.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
3 songs from 3 decades.

I think that's a good idea. It represents each time period.

Something tells me all three songs will be loud - the HOF doesn't come across to me as a place where you play a quiet song. It's a celebration, and most of the attendees are getting pretty wasted. :wink:

I could see:

I Will Follow or Out Of Control from 80s
The Fly from 90s (maybe they'll do One, but I don't know)
Beautiful Day or Vertigo from 00s

4 pages of thread so far and only one person has even bothered to name songs off POP? I guess that album is just a blip in the radar for U2's Hall Of Fame induction.

I think U2 should play:

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It

It would be the perfect opportunity for them to help boost the sagging album sales.

Cheers,

J

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Do you honestly think anyone would want to listen you the Lion King?

Of course not. That was my point. It was a new, huge album when Elton John got inducted, but of course he didn't play any of those songs. I was providing an example.

See my other post regarding the Stones, as they were definitely still relevant at that time.

Do Miss America said:

The reason I say it's BS is you keep saying it's lame because they are self promoting. Playing a snippet I think is even worse. By playing a snippet you're making sure to remind everyone you have a new album but you're not even committed enough to play the whole song.

It is lame and self-promotion at the wrong time...

If you think a snippet is worse then playing a whole song so be it. I could be wrong, but from your post, obviously you don't like/ dismissive of Aerosmith's post- 70s/ post- drug haze work and think they weren't relevant at the time of induction and basically had "shitty" material. SO you would like U2 to follow in AEROSMITH'S footsteps and play a song from the new album. :huh:

Prince had lost a lot of relevance at the time(due to his own actions which I respect, but still he'd lost his relevance), Rolling Stones had lost it well before they were inducted, Aerosmith had breakups come backs and overall just shitty music by the time they were inducted, others had to reunite for their inductions.

Look what I'm trying to get at is U2 are in a very unique position. I can't think of any other band who's been inducted the very first year they were elgible, still together, no reunions, new album, sold out tour, and still very relevant at the same time.

LOL... maybe its perspective or something... but I don't get how you say Prince wasn't relevent last year or the Stones weren't relevent during the release of Steel Wheels but U2's relevent with their release of HTDAAB. U2's relevent this year b/c of an IPOD commercial? Oooooookay. U2's relevent for hti singles? One hit single so far, the other singles appear to be stalling so far. Albums sales. U2's albums sales are good now but so were Prince's relative to their past hits. U2's HTDAAB will not surpass Josuha Tree or Achtung in album sales IMO. Experimental concepts? LOL. If I comment I'm afrtaid this will turn into a HTDAAB bashing thread so I will only say what someone else said before.... U2 is sounding like themselves (paraphrase).

Aerosmith is like the only old school rock band outside of Metallica and U2 who have any power over the youth... even till now (though IMO Aerosmith probably aren't as big with their recent release). Your assessment of Aerosmith's material is subjective and doesn't show that Aerosmith's 90s material, which many people shit on, actually propelled Aerosmith to "relevance" for many people.

jick said:

It would be the perfect opportunity for them to help boost the sagging album sales.

Cheers,

J

Maybe true, if anyone actually watched this show or the grammy's. A Cadillac commercial would probably do them better.

Cheers,

C

jick said:
4 pages of thread so far and only one person has even bothered to name songs off POP? I guess that album is just a blip in the radar for U2's Hall Of Fame induction.

I think U2 should play:

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It

Cheers,

J

Are album sales really sagging. I assumed Sometimes being played at the Grammys resulted in such an impact on albums sales for U2 that it propelled them back into the top 10, b/c it's such a great song.

Flying FuManchu said:

A lot of people watch the Grammys. Even the haters watch. I believe most of the big sellers got a sales bump from that awards show but it appears U2 did not get one or one that big.

This was discussed at length in another thread. U2 did get a nice 42% bump after the Grammy Awards.

Flying FuManchu said:

A lot of people watch the Grammys. Even the haters watch. I believe most of the big sellers got a sales bump from that awards show but it appears U2 did not get one or one that big.

2005 Grammy Awards Achieve Lowest Ratings Since 1995
Tuesday, February 15 2005

Written by Michael Bordash

Although this year's Grammy awards featured Usher, U2, James Brown and J.Lo, viewership was far less than spectacular.

It is estimated that only 18.8 million people watched the Grammys this past Sunday. This represents a 28 percent drop from the 2004 Grammys. The previous two years were on the rise, and may be a harbinger for the upcoming Academy Awards next week.

The Grammys featured live performances by Alicia Keys, Kanye West, Usher with James Brown, U2 and Green Day. In fact Bono said of the night, "I think this is the best Grammys we've ever seen."

Although "Desperate Housewives" drew more viewers than the awards show, when it was over, very few people switched over.

According to an AP report, this trend continues for awards shows, the most recent Emmys, Golden Globes and American Music Awards all had disappointing viewership.

Are people just tired of all the redundant awards shows? It seems there's a new one every season. Spike TV's even giving awards to inanimate objects (read: cars). Perhaps the public is tired of hearing all of the file-sharing nonsense put forth by the RIAA and MPAA. Perhaps we've just given up on the whole "organized media presentation" thing. I like my music underground and my TV based squarely on reality.

Probably half of that amount are U2 fans who already own the album, plan to buy it, don't want it, or have downloaded it illegally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom