U2 In Space: Great Neil McCormick Article On The Opener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Neil's writing, he's a friend of the band, still can be critical. I love his ironic and playful way of pointing out their weaknesses. I'm sure U2 appreciate that.

oh Space Oddity! how beautiful! one of my all-time Bowie faves! :heart:

nice story but it's not possible that guy is objective as a reviewer. He is too good friends with the band.

There's something special about the fanzine community. We write from a different perspective than objectivity -- but we can be critical. I call it "critical fandom." Granted, this is a mainstream article, but it has the 'voice' I'd like to see more of in U2 fandom.

I think that U2 fans tend to be quite objective and critical of U2, actually. Although I can appreciate the honesty and lack of hero worship that I've spotted in other fanzine music forums that I've visited, sometimes I think that fans tend to judge the bands ability unfairly or without being in full possession of the facts.

When I've visited Neil's blog in the past he's certainly entertaining. He has a vast knowledge of music that I find interesting plus he has similar opinions to me when it comes to songs. He don't like songs because they showcase individual virtuosity of the players within the band but how the music and the vocal link successfully to purvey the emotion of the song. However, sometimes I feel as though what he says about Bono in particular is verging on jealousy. Sometimes he talks out of his ass. I felt that when I first saw his book I was Bono's Doppelganger, or whatever it's called, in a bookshop. What category is this book pitched? From reading what Bono says about the book at the back he seems to be about Niel's life story. Anyone with an interesting life story can write an autobiography, you don't have to be famous. But why do I always see this book within the music section and not the biography section? And why, in an old magazine of mine, when it has an article about Bono does it list I was Bono's Doppelganger as the best book for reading about Bono if it's supposed to be about Niel?

It seems to me that Niel holds the fact that he went to school with U2 as a way to advance his career at times. Even I get fed up with him going on about Bono and U2 every 5 minutes and I'm a fan. He gets criticized by many people on his blog because of the fact that a day never seems to go by and he's banging on about U2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom