U2 doesnt move me anymore, what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah Yertle my friend. I would like to thankificate you. Much appreciatings and greatfulitude.

Getting a break is a good idea. But if you still feel unmoved by U2 after taking some time-off, there's nothing wrong with it either. The world is full of great music, maybe you'll find something else to fall in love with, :) Trying to force yourself to love a band that doesn't touch you anymore is like trying to live with a person you have lost all feelings for; it could even turn into a growing resentment.

Hey,I think it's almost like with every serious relationship.Take a break and after that you either feel your love for them has become stronger than ever before or you realize you don't need them anymore,thank them in your heart for their music and all the great moments it gave you and start something new.Listen to your inner self,which band REALLY moves you now? Go for it,
become their fan,try! And who knows what can happen in 5,10,
30 years,perhaps you'll hear With Or Without You somewhere in the street and there will be the great resurrection of your feelings towards U2 - you can never rule out this possibility!;)

Gickies Gageeze said:

just ignore her, its not that hard really.

Why ignore me? If you really read MY post it said basically the same thing as everyone being 'thanked'- take a break, try other bands, come back later. Yes, saying you aren't happy with the band, and complaining about them especially in more than one thread, is 'whining' about the band, regardless of how you choose to define it. Do we really need to hear that they aren't your favorite, don't move you, should hang it up, etc. over and over? :sigh:

Originally posted by Gickies Gageeze

she went to the gypsyheartgirl school of fine wine.

Boy talk about irony! Isn't that the girl you threw off the board for whining about POP, along with Jick? So what you mean is, if you whine about something you agree with, it's not considered whining, but if someone whines about something YOU like, then they're a creep who must go? Wow, you're really a hypocrite. I hate ALL whining about the band and tried to point that out, and got crapped on for it! :shrug: The fact that some are shunned and some are defended depending on whether or not they agree with you (or are you) really sucks! If you're going to keep picking on them yourself as well, why use characters? Just post under your most 'famous' name so if they come here and read it they'll know what kind of person your really are! ;)

Buh-bye!! :wave:

Last edited:
Saracene said:
Getting a break is a good idea. But if you still feel unmoved by U2 after taking some time-off, there's nothing wrong with it either. The world is full of great music, maybe you'll find something else to fall in love with, :) Trying to force yourself to love a band that doesn't touch you anymore is like trying to live with a person you have lost all feelings for; it could even turn into a growing resentment.

Good way of putting it.

Originally posted by Aine
Hey,I think it's almost like with every serious relationship.Take a break and after that you either feel your love for them has become stronger than ever before or you realize you don't need them anymore,thank them in your heart for their music and all the great moments it gave you and start something new.Listen to your inner self,which band REALLY moves you now? Go for it,
become their fan,try! And who knows what can happen in 5,10,
30 years,perhaps you'll hear With Or Without You somewhere in the street and there will be the great resurrection of your feelings towards U2 - you can never rule out this possibility! ;)

Exactly.

Angela

u2, particularly bono has upsetted me to the point lately, where i cant even listen to the music without all "that" get getting in the way. i highly doubt i will ever have anywhere near the same ammount of respect for them as i did a few years ago.

Gickies Gageeze said:
u2, particularly bono has upsetted me to the point lately, where i cant even listen to the music without all "that" get getting in the way. i highly doubt i will ever have anywhere near the same ammount of respect for them as i did a few years ago.

Can I ask what they've done to make you upset lately?

I'm just curious.

Angela

You think you're burnt out? I didn't even watch U2 on the Oscars. This is unheard of!!!

I'm glad you started this thread 'cause I've been feeling the same way. I think everyone's advice is great...just take a break. Even the band members have to get away from each other so that things can be fresh again. I bet the new album will spark that fire in all the fans who are off listening to different artists right now. Besides, how can we complain about all the artists that suck in an informed manner if we never listen to anyone but U2? ;) :D

We all change every few years or so. The U2 guys also change as they age. Nothing ever stays the same. Personally, I think their best music was in the '80s and my favorite of all their songs is Gloria. But I like all kinds of music. My attraction to U2 is mainly the guys, especially Bono, and I am always hoping their music will be the best ever, but sometimes it isn't. But I still love them best.

Mofo there's nothing wrong with taking a break. It doesn't mean you have to totally get rid of them. Just don't listen to them for a while.

You know how I always talk about Iron Maiden? Really, who still listens to them? No one I know. I was on total burn out from them and didn't listen to them forever and all of a sudden a few years ago they got back together and a new album came out and now I love them so much again! I could listen to them day and nite.

Hopefully a new U2 album will come out in the next year so we all have some new material to listen to, but in the mean time, just listen to the other bands you like. One day out of nowhere you will get the urge to listen to U2 again and they will blow you away. Trust me.

Being a fan for the past 20 years I've seen my share of "U2 burnout" myself. There have been a couple times when I needed to take a break from the band for a while.
They, especially Bono, have been "in our faces" almost nonstop for a while now so it's very understandable that some would be getting tired of seeing them so much. Even Bono said "I'm sick of Bono, and I'M Bono"
Maybe that's what you need to do, just take a break, maybe til the new cd comes out.

I haven't listened to U2 in months, other than hearing a song when I'm out somewhere or watching their performance on the Oscars. It doesn't mean they're not my favourite band -- I know I'll be freaking out when the new album is released and listen to only U2 for a month or so. Like others have said, it ebbs and flows. Don't try to force yourself to feel the way you used to about U2. Just listen to other music and if you're like me, you'll find other bands you love and stumble onto things that remind you of U2 and make you remember what you loved about them, what it was like to see them play, how excited you were to hear a less frequently played song come on at the grocery store, etc.

There's no reason to stop posting on Interference. That said, I wouldn't read EVERY news story or thread in EYKIW, because it'll just numb you more. Interference isn't just about U2, though. There are people here who are obsessed with them and went to 20 shows on every tour, people who've seen them once or twice, people who only own one album, people who don't even like them all that much, and everything inbetween.

This is happening a lot to people here! I know I've been suffering from a U2 burn out for months now!! I got back into them for like 3 days with POP but now I'm back to the same thing... Not wanting or having the urge or desire to listen to them. :slant:

Sometimes I put in a U2 CD.. and after the first song or two I take it out! I just don't feel like listening to them! :slant:

This is weird because it hasn't really happened to me before with U2 or even with Pearl Jam...... and recently its Pearl Jam who I've been listening to a lot and I don't think I've ever gone through a PJ burn out! :slant:

I guess taking a break will help! Maybe taking a break from everything U2 related?? :shrug: Even this board? I dunno, POPMOFO, but it seems you are not alone here!! ;)

Last edited:
I don't think it's a sin to gradually change who your favourite band is. Even though it may be just a case of burn-out, it still doesn't matter THAT much that you may be tiring of one band. I'm on a break myself -- haven't listened to U2 since late January. Right now I'm obsessing over other artists, but I don't feel U2's spot as my favourite band is over, even though I may not listen to them very much, if at all.

my favourite band changes every few minutes. right now it's dropkick murphys (cos i'm listening to them as i reply)

i'm glad i haven't commited a sin by your standards, elevatedmole. others aren't quite so forgiving.

Well, I've officially realized that I'll probably get majorly into U2 again when a new album of theirs finally nears reality.

I havent listened to Radiohead much at all lately either. This last week with the announcement of the new album title and tracklist, I've listened to 3 of their albums, and I cant get enough.

Hopefully this will all happen with U2!

Can't help but notice this subject....I've been through this so many times.

I've been with U2 since the beginning. My love and passion for them and their music is undying. Always constant. However, my listening skills and my involvement with the music has not always been so.

I've gone through periods in my adult life where the desire for anything U2 has been so far away I didn't listen for months, to constant 24/7 obsession to the point my friends had to bind and gag me.

It always comes back. It may ebb and flow, but they were always and always will be my favorite band.

We are allowed to love other music and explore that. It's not a requirement to listen to U2 every day, or feel guilty when we don't, or even to say, geesh, I'm so sick of them today I just can't listen. Last summer I went through a bad time. U2 always helped me through these things. They couldn't. Then I popped in some Bruce Springsteen (my second favorite music). The Rising actually. I was off and running. For a month it was all Bruce all the time. Bruce eventually led me back to U2. It is now actually a wonderful memory.

If it dies, it dies, nothing is forever, but if it REALLY dies, you won't care anymore, you'll just love what you are listening to. Or maybe you'll think it's gone, like I did.....and then WHAM! you hear a song, and it's U2 all over gain like it never left But if feeling that "what happened feeling" there, you still care. Relax, if you really love something it never leaves you.

Just my two cents. I don't know you so I don't know exactly what's in your head, and don't say you actually thought or felt any of those things I said, just my experience....music is such a powerful force and such an inspirational thing....I hope whatever you listen to gives you what you need at the time.

::))

Gickies Gageeze said:
I, too, would love to know, Gickies: what has Bono done to upset you? I'm not trying to provoke you; I am in all honesty asking you because I am curious. I'm being sincere. The reason I ask, is because when I look at him today, I see a man who has been outspoken with all the causes he supports, and he has remained passionate about his beliefs, never more so than lately with the Iraq conflict. What more do we want from the man? If you're going to say, "better music," well, that's fair enough. That has to do with personal taste, though.

Michael Griffiths said:

I, too, would love to know, Gickies: what has Bono done to upset you? I'm not trying to provoke you; I am in all honesty asking you because I am curious. I'm being sincere. The reason I ask, is because when I look at him today, I see a man who has been outspoken with all the causes he supports, and he has remained passionate about his beliefs, never more so than lately with the Iraq conflict. What more do we want from the man? If you're going to say, "better music," well, that's fair enough. That has to do with personal taste, though.

see j. lo rumor (a fairly credible rumor)

see best buy incident

see target sell out.

see taking swipe at pop because the critics didnt understand it, and the general u2 fanbase is too stupid to accept good music when they hear it. ofcourse, thats a personal opinion, but for the band to go back on it and "admit it was a failure" is intolerable to me.

see all that you cant leave behind, everything except beautiful day.

see mishap with the corrs.

non of these things took place before atyclb. he used to do duets and work with good artists (pavarotti, sinatra) and now it appears to me as though he is doing everything he can to remain relevant. is there anything wrong with that? ofcourse not. but he, along with the band (particularly larry) appear to me as though they are only in it for the money.

remember when they said they were gonna get back to the studio right away and get the next album rolling as soon as the elevation tour was finished? that ended in 2001. how long does it take??? if your not going to release an album anytime soon, then dont make it sound like you will.

i dont expect flames from you michael, but from the rest, bring it on, i dont care. this is how i feel, and i think i was fair in my assessment.

and besides, when it comes down to it, this is all objective and personable.

I agree with the Pop thing....a case where they believed their own press. A lot of people love that album and with them saying it was a "failure" of sorts in hindsight because of the reviews, kinda says that they don't believe in themselves or the fans' opinions.

If I recall Rolling Stone gave it four stars (I could be wrong thou) when it first came out. Then when the tour didn't do well and other critics panned it, they panned it too. :shrug: Well not that RS is the best source of musical intregrity.

daisybean, most of the initial POP reviews were actually quite positive, so saying that the band turned against POP because of them is a bit of a contradiction. And if the band are to believe the fans' opinions, they must also believe those who were underwhelmed with POP. Unless you want to take the whole thing into the ugly territory of who "troo fans" are.

Anyway, I have read U2 criticise almost every of their albums in hindsight. Edge said once he'd like to remix all of them. I have never read any bandmember say, "oh yes this album could never ever be improved, it is a pinnacle that we will never ever repeat". Edge caused a few hissy fits when he said that he doesn't like Fly anymore and thinks it's dated, and said in one interview he wanted to apologise to everyone for Rattle'n'Hum. Of course it gets conveniently forgotten when somebody wants to complain about how the band criticise the song or album he/she loves and of course it has to be because the band fell under some bad outside influence.

With POP, most of the band's negative remarks are about their wish to have spent more time on that album, and Bono said repeatedly that he believes the songs themselves are good. (I believed him when I heard the new "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" cover) As for POPMart, it is thought of as a failure because it was hurt by the comparisons to the ZooTV, which was a much more successful blend of hi-tech spectacle and music and whose concepts were much better thought out and realised.

Last edited:
with pop they did admit to having put it out without feeling like they completely had finished it way before ATYCLB

ATYCLB is a really good album

how does most particularly larry appear to only be in it for the money?

IWasBored said:
ATYCLB is a really good album

That I completely agree with.

Anyone who says otherwise isnt listening to it for what it is. It's U2. Everything they've done realized on one album.

Hail To The Theif is pretty much the EXACT same thing for Radiohead, a working together of all the steps they've taken as a band on one album.

Back
Top Bottom